Sign in to follow this  
JaMz_SoLo

Online Navagation question

~s~ Guys,

Ok, so as you can see I purchased this game quite some time ago and lasted a few weeks before reverting back to CloD. I've recently com back to both after a 4 year break, so lots has changed.

Recently purchased BOB also.

So my question and at the risk of a obvious answer but here goes:

I was used to a channel map so navigating was easy, but is there a way of navigating or an option I don't know about on the servers here?

Not rally interested in furball servers, but found myself flying around quite a lot last night trying to get bearings etc and associating that with server messages on area of operations etc.

So is it just a case of using the MK1 eyeball and using ground signs and comparing that to the map OR is there an option im missing out on?

Thanks in advance

Jamz

Edited by =PWRR=UKJaMz

Navigation on the expert MP servers mainly involves comparing land features to your map ("pilotage"). You can also calculate your route, correcting for wind ("dead reckoning") or use radio navigation beacons (if the mission maker added radio beacons). Non-expert servers (such as Wings of Liberty) provide an icon for your plane on the map, making navigation simple.

See the navigation-related links under "Flying Guides and Utilities" in the IL-2 Sturmovik Resources post. Also see this post (and the one right after it) re. radio navigation.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1

Have a nice day.

:salute:

Edited by FlyingShark
  • Like 2

I was travelling Berlin-Paris on tuesday and we passed Aachen a bit south of the Hürtgenwald area, heading south-west.

It was easy picking up Liège in the distance (had there not been a lower stratus-layer setting in to the north, Maastricht would have been visible, too) and it dawned on me that I could easily have followed the Maas river, dead-reconing to Florennes air-base.

Navigation (in good weather and especially from high altitude) IRL is A LOT easier than in game - mostly because there are a lot more features to see, make out and navigate by.

It is - nonetheless - amazing how by knowing the BoBP map a little, one could relatively effortlessly navigate IRL.

5 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

It is - nonetheless - amazing how by knowing the BoBP map a little, one could relatively effortlessly navigate IRL.

Or vice versa...;)