Just installed a motion platform

I'm having driver-recognition problems with my SX4000 / SCN5 3DOF components.  Sim Commander runs fine; X-Plane 11 opens and my CH controls work the stick and pedals in the VR aircraft; but the actuators are dead.

Spent the last three days working on it and I'm still not operational.

Okay, next I'll buy Sim Tools and try my luck there.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, SCG_Tzigy said:

What seat did u get and how was the fit, pls

I got the seat in this package:

https://nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-gtultimate-v2/

I wanted to buy just the seat but they don’t appear to sell just the seat any more, so I had to buy the bundle. I also couldn’t find anyone in southern California who is selling a used one of these seats. I’ve put the wheel stand bundled with it up for sale to recoup some of my expense.

The seat is quite comfortable, though I still think they charge too much. I bought their matching seat because I wouldn’t have to fabricate a way to attach a different, less expensive seat to the Motion Platform (my time is valuable to me, too). I was also concerned that I get the best match since the seat will be bucking, swaying, and shaking a bit for hopefully many hours of play.

The seat fits very well to the Motion Platform, since they are designed to fit together - but it was a challenging couple of hours to assemble the seat and bolt them together. The attachment process could be designed much better.

I also need to be able to move the seat elsewhere in my office - I also do my job on my gaming computer - so I added put the assembled unit on top of one of these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089WDPMXV/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
On 3/22/2021 at 11:17 PM, Charlo-VR said:

Hi Charlo - Congrats...that sounds so immersive!  I am probably a long way off from this for now - however, asking for a friend (just in case Mrs. V is looking over my shoulder), do your rudder pedals move with the entire platform with this V2 cockpit combined with the motion platform?

3 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Hi Charlo - Congrats...that sounds so immersive!  I am probably a long way off from this for now - however, asking for a friend (just in case Mrs. V is looking over my shoulder), do your rudder pedals move with the entire platform with this V2 cockpit combined with the motion platform?

No, my rudder pedals, joystick, and throttle all remain still on the floor, only the seat moves.

I'm kind of mulling over mounting them to the seat (perhaps the way @ACG_kmac31did in his posts on the previous page of this thread), but I'm not sure it would be worth the effort. My gaming space is also my home office for work, so I have limits on how elaborate and dedicated my cockpit space can be. My Slaw pedals are heavier than Crosswind pedals, too.

I'm not sure mounting the pedals, stick, and throttle to the chair would be that much more immersive than what I am already enjoying. I am, however, eagerly awaiting a SimShaker Jetpad FSE - I've enjoyed the SimShaker software for a year now, and now that I have a dedicated gaming chair, I have a place for the Jetpad.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I emailed Next Level Racing tech support if there was a way to add acceleration/deceleration as one of the motions. They replied yes because IL-2 Great Battles does provide acceleration telemetry data, and they guided me on how I could clone the IL-2 Great Battles stock profile and add in a version of acceleration motion. It's subtle and seems to involve more a slight rocking backward rather than a surge that pushes you back in your seat, but I find it's an enjoyable addition.

Clone the "IL-2 Great Battles" stock profile, and uncheck "Shallow copy" and check "clone scripts". When you edit your cloned copy you are actually only editing the Motion Scripts. View your one motion script for your cloned copy and open it in Notepad.

Towards the bottom of that cloned script you will find the below two lines for rearFrontRotation. Add in the third line you see below for FieldAccX (capitalization matters!) so that the bottom of your script looks like the below:

ctx.output.motion.indirectMode.rearFrontRotation += static_cast<int>( g_filtered1_Pitch + g_filtered1_PitchRate);
    ctx.output.motion.indirectMode.rearFrontRotation += static_cast<int>(-g_filtered1_AccUp);
    ctx.output.motion.indirectMode.rearFrontRotation += static_cast<int>(in.FieldAccX * -1500 /* adjust this value */);
}

Why -1500 as the value? Next Level Racing advised I enter the value as * 1000/* and adjust that to my tastes, but I couldn't feel much difference at 1000.

From what I understand at https://motionsystems.eu/2018/01/profile-editing/, the total range of motion is 32767 (positive and negative each, so actually twice that). So, I next tried that in.FieldAccX value at 12000 - DO NOT DO THAT! I was fortunate I didn't have anything near my legs when I accelerated a 109G6 at that 12000 value, as the motion platform aggressively rocked my chair forward! 😛

When I set the value at 2000 or 3000 I found it a tad strong, and also realized it was pushing me forward in the seat as I accelerated, rather than pushing me back in the seat as we would feel when accelerating aggressively. That's how I settled on -1500 as my currently preferred value.

Edited by Charlo-VR
  • Upvote 1
On 1/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, vonrickenbecker said:

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am currently working to develop a product along these lines... ;)

Add a water sprayer too. So, the player will feel the clouds too 😄

• Haha 1
On 3/22/2021 at 5:20 PM, Charlo-VR said:

Here are my Next Level Racing Motion Platform V3 settings for IL-2 Great Battles. I’m curious how similar others’ settings might be

89A97754-2777-4517-87AE-267707789A27.jpeg

Well I finally have my Next Level Racing Motion (NLR) Platform operational and it certainly adds to the realism. Returning from a ground attack mission with rather accurate Anti Aircraft fire from numerous sources forced me to take a lot of evasive action and I now feel like I have been on quite a rollercoaster ride when using it with VR. This platform can really throw you around and I recommend using the supplied safety belt! 

On a previous mission I took a direct hit that knocked me right out of the sky and the motion platform added substantially to the effect of that Oh Sh*t! moment and the subsequent spin and ground impact. 🤬.............. :)

Initial Comments, in no particular order:

1. I got the motion platform with the NLR GT Track Cockpit and was disappointed to discover that my Crosswind Rudders were too big for the wheel deck so have only been able to use the chair frame and seat.

2. Have the GVL Throttle quadrant mounted to the seat (using supplied bracket) and wish that NLR also supplied a bracket to centre mount my VKB KG12 joystick

3. Find it a bit more difficult to aim with the joystick not moving with the chair but am already getting better at compensating for it but will experiment with a home made seat joystick mount when time permits.

4. My seat base was damaged in transit and the Australian importer was very helpful in promptly obtaining a replacement part.

5. Used Charlo-VR's settings as a initial guide and this is what I am running at present....... image.png.6a6a568338f37c00a0aa820f8e18e4fd.png

8 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Initial Comments, in no particular order:

1. I got the motion platform with the NLR GT Track Cockpit and was disappointed to discover that my Crosswind Rudders were too big for the wheel deck so have only been able to use the chair frame and seat.

2. Have the GVL Throttle quadrant mounted to the seat (using supplied bracket) and wish that NLR also supplied a bracket to centre mount my VKB KG12 joystick

3. Find it a bit more difficult to aim with the joystick not moving with the chair but am already getting better at compensating for it but will experiment with a home made seat joystick mount when time permits.

Very nice, it's great fun, isn't it? My aim is also harder, too, as you noted - and I was told last night by a buddy on Discord that he could hear my grunting under my breath as I was dog fighting on Berloga, with the seat throwing me around a bit with every move - but it's all worth it. When I get shot down I am often chuckling from the fullness of the experience from the chair combined with the SimShaker Jetpad FSE and flying in VR.

I, too, don't have a way to mount my rudder pedals to the chair stand (my pedals are the even heavier Slaw Device pedals). Before I bought my GT Ultimate V2 seat to go with this motion platform, I used to mount my joystick and throttle/quadrant with industrial velcro on top of bookshelf speaker stands. This allowed me to position them easily since my home office doesn't have the space for a dedicated cockpit.

After I got this GT Ultimate seat, though, I decided to figure out a way to mount those controls so they also move with the seat, even if the rudder pedals won't. I now use an articulated camera mount arm from https://www.gyrovu.com/adjustable-clamp-mount to extend slightly backwards the Next Level Racing gear shifter plate, which brings the throttle back to where is is comfortable.

I've always preferred to fly with the joystick between my knees, so below are pictures of the easily-removable joystick mount I created. The butterfly screws allowed me to easily adjust the height of the joystick, with a piece of bent tin to create the angle I prefer. The stick is held in place by velcro. The paddle end of the wood slides between two thin, plastic cutting board sheets I velcroed between the seat pad and the seat bottom. This allows me to easily slide out the entire joystick mount when I want to get in or out of the seat, and my weight in the seat keeps the joystick firmly in place.

joystick_slide_mount_1.jpg

joystick_slide_mount_2.jpg

joystick_slide_mount_3.jpg

The wood and joystick is all one piece that I don't adjust anymore - I just slide the assembly in or out of the bottom of the seat, as needed, with the plastic cutting board sheets protecting the seat's padding. The entire seat with the motion platform under it rests on a short, adjustable, wheeled refrigerator stand that I roll into place, then lock the front wheels for flight.

Edited by Charlo-VR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

This is the solution I went for to get a centre mounted joystick with my NLR GT Track Seat. Just used the supplied mouse tray support bracket and flipped 90 degrees and mounted it to the chair's support cross beam, utilising the two holes that were already in the cross beam. Did have to drill two holes in the mouse tray support bracket.  Joystick now moves with the chair and my problem with aiming has been resolved.

Not particularly happy with the cable management but need a longer cable from the joystick to the interface box before I can improve the cabling.

This is more of a permanent solution than Charlo-VR's easily removable solution but it works for me.

It is a bit more difficult to get in and out of the seat (but not a lot) but you have to clamber into a real fighter aircraft seat so I guess it "adds to the realism" 😁

Joystick_Bracket_50.thumb.JPG.8faa424042337a9a1a00a72a41339cc4.JPGSide_View_50.thumb.JPG.e592250cb7efb6c42514cc9202add3ae.JPG

JoyStick_Bracket_Big_Crop.thumb.JPG.f1966ce27c208ad987773c8d07d9d6a6.JPG

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Added cropped image as hard to see detail under seat
  • Upvote 5
On 4/11/2021 at 7:57 PM, Charlo-VR said:

They replied yes because IL-2 Great Battles does provide acceleration telemetry data

That´s good.

On 4/19/2021 at 1:29 PM, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

This platform can really throw you around and I recommend using the supplied safety belt!

I believe the max pitch or roll angle is 10º for the NLRV3. The max speed is 20º/s and the max acceleration is 360º/ss. So I understand that although 10º static roll will not throw you from your seat, a quick full roll (ie. 2 seconds) can produce a brute bump, technically up to 36º in 0.1 seconds, which is enough to throw you from the seat.

But a real plane doesn´t do that when you do a quick or slow roll.  

My doubt here is that it add movement to the game, but to what extend some of this movement or forces are really real?

5 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

I believe the max pitch or roll angle is 10º for the NLRV3. The max speed is 20º/s and the max acceleration is 360º/ss. So I understand that although 10º static roll will not throw you from your seat, a quick full roll (ie. 2 seconds) can produce a brute bump, technically up to 36º in 0.1 seconds, which is enough to throw you from the seat.

My doubt here is that it add movement to the game, but to what extend some of this movement or forces are really real?

Adding a Motion Platform is somewhat like when I added a Buttkicker (and now I use a JetPad JetSeat) - once I experienced it I quickly found that it added enough to my immersion that I no longer want to fly without it. It can’t create the sustained feel of G forces we experience in a real plane, but it creates enough of a feel in the movements it can create that your whole body feels as if you are moving more than you actually are.

Most or all of us in this thread have dialed back the amount of intensity as much as just 40% of the maximum intensity available to the seat movement. Like the OP I have actually laughed out loud as I first experienced what the seat can do.

I could sell the seat to get back the $2,700 I paid for it used, but I now enjoy it so much, and it fits in my office space both when I am flying and when I am working, that it is now a required part of my cockpit.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
13 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

That´s good.

Never bothered to do the math on max acceleration etc. I guess you could say "I just went by the seat of my pants"

I am space constrained in my options for a motion platform so the NLR motion platform (MP) is a good solution for my situation.

2 more points after some more use:

1. When not using the safety belt I found that my upper body would move to compensate for the seats motion thus deadening the experience. I am an ex dinghy sailor so I will blame that for my motion compensation habit 😁.

2. One of the many flaws in my flying technique was "jerking the joystick" and the game would warn me about that pretty much each mission. With the NLR MP having the ability to respond quite quickly, it is helping to cure me of that particular habit.

As per Charlo-VR, using the NLR MP adds quite a lot to the VR flying experience and I am glad that I picked it up.

There may be better motion platforms out there (or in development) depending on individual users situation/ bank balance :) .

It is great to have options. 

I did actually work in a military flight trainer many decades ago that had a full hydraulic motion platform for the cockpit. Sometimes the trainee pilots would come out after a session and throw up. I can do without that level of realism.

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

but it creates enough of a feel in the movements it can create that your whole body feels as if you are moving more than you actually are.

Interesting. This is what I suspect. At the end is to cheat our brain about the movements of the plane to add inmersion, regardeless if they are close or not to the forces you feel in the real plane.

Most of real life pilot in recreational planes do moderate and slow roll and pitch angles, so the Yaw2 could be a bit closer since G-forces are lower.

But in a WWII warbird, the roll and pitch can be quick and do full loops and barrels like in an aerobatics plane. Here the Yaw2 will be obiously far for that feelings (not only for the 90&40 angle limitations but essentially by the G forces).

At the end of the day, if it adds to the inmersion, is all we need. 

11 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

Sometimes the trainee pilots would come out after a session and throw up

Perhaps they were missing the mantained G-forces and that made their brains get dizzy.

BTW, What a nice job you had! Image that now with VR...

I would like to know more about the Vertical G-force Gain.

It this something IL-2 is givin telemetry data?

When it is experienced (in taxing, landing, during flight in quick asecent/descent)?

Even if it is just some cms, I think it could be the movement that contribute the most to the inmersion.

• Upvote 1