J5_Daedallus

Just installed a motion platform

Hi all

Just installed a motion platform to my flying seat today, flew a quick mission in QMB and couldn't stop laughing, at one point I felt like I was about to fall out of the cockpit after pulling a high G turn. I use an FFB 2 stick and when you land you can feel every bump. You can set up VR to work with it and there's an adapter for a butt kicker, all you need then is a fan and a white silk scarf and what you imagined as a kid 50 years ago after reading Biggles of 266 squadron, seems so real. :fly:

It really adds to the immersion and I would thoroughly recommend it, I'm retired, single, and this game is my only vice (almost), I appreciate not everybody can, or wants to spend £2.5k on a peripheral, but for those that are interested, it is easy to set up and for me, well worth it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 8

More details on the motion rig and setup please!:salute:

Hmm new kitchen or awesome immersion... which would the wife go with? Do I want to keep my wife?

• Haha 6

22 minutes ago, No56_Waggaz said:

Hmm new kitchen or awesome immersion... which would the wife go with? Do I want to keep my wife?

… he said while picturing his stuff on the curb in front LOL

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Daedallus said:

Hi all

Just installed a motion platform to my flying seat today, flew a quick mission in QMB and couldn't stop laughing, at one point I felt like I was about to fall out of the cockpit after pulling a high G turn. I use an FFB 2 stick and when you land you can feel every bump. You can set up VR to work with it and there's an adapter for a butt kicker, all you need then is a fan and a white silk scarf and what you imagined as a kid 50 years ago after reading Biggles of 266 squadron, seems so real. :fly:

It really adds to the immersion and I would thoroughly recommend it, I'm retired, single, and this game is my only vice (almost), I appreciate not everybody can, or wants to spend £2.5k on a peripheral, but for those that are interested, it is easy to set up and for me, well worth it.

Send pics of your setup.

How hard is to install it?

7 hours ago, Daedallus said:

Hi all

Sounds amazing!

Not that I'm really considering it, it was bad enough for me to give up VR in order to regain some situational awareness (I didn't have a lot of it to begin with).

I'm curious, how exactly does it determine which motion should be applied? Does it get the data directly from the game, sort of like Tacview?

Wow, that is impressive for sure.

Wow ...very cool ....but as cool as it is I'll have to save my 3k for a better GPU or future headset for VR ..  .... Pics please!

16 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Ah, to be a bachelor...

Buy a £3,000 bit of kit for your PC and you soon could be!

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, =CfC=FatherTed said:

Buy a £3,000 bit of kit for your PC and you soon could be!

Yes that’s my dilemma...

For that much cash I will ask my ol lady to boot the bottom of my chair every time she passes by while I am in VR

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

For those that wanted pix - not much to see really Sorry couldn't resist the Biggles pic

For those that asked how easy to install - just bolt it onto the flight seat, use the serial number to access the website and dload the software - IL2 GB and CoD  are on the game list - just click play and that's it!

59th Birthday 2015 001.JPG

DSCF1530.JPG

DSCF1532.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

LOL, you really need that red...thing under the computer ?? I hope is not falling down. :salute:

Edited by szelljr
  • Haha 1

Hi Szelljr

I have 2 pcs, 1 for gaming, 1 for anything else, they were both on a table until last week when the legs broke! I managed to let the gaming pc hit the floor as softly as possible (only the mic usb broke), but the other 1 hit the ground with force and wouldn't start. I still go out for a pint with someone I used to teach 30 years ago who now builds and repairs pcs so he came round the following day and built it back up from scratch, the red stool is temporary as I was told it is best to keep a pc as high as possible if you have a dog and don't like hoovering!

3 hours ago, Daedallus said:

For those that wanted pix - not much to see really Sorry couldn't resist the Biggles pic

For those that asked how easy to install - just bolt it onto the flight seat, use the serial number to access the website and dload the software - IL2 GB and CoD  are on the game list - just click play and that's it!

59th Birthday 2015 001.JPG

DSCF1530.JPG

DSCF1532.JPG

Sold, I want one :)

So the joystick , throttle and controllers have to be attached to the platform, how do you do that?

21 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

Sold, I want one :)

So the joystick , throttle and controllers have to be attached to the platform, how do you do that?

Yes, I was going to ask the same thing: how do you attach throttle, joystick and pedals to the platform?

And they do move along with the platform, right?

Edited by J5_Hellbender-Sch27b

Quite the man-cave!   And Shaw's Fighter Combat within reach for easy reference, too!   Wunderbar!

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 3:17 AM, Daedallus said:

all you need then is a fan and a white silk scarf

Hmm.  Perhaps there is a market for variable speed fans that respond to ones in-game airspeed...

19 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

Hmm.  Perhaps there is a market for variable speed fans that respond to ones in-game airspeed...

seen those out there some place before too ill try and find link again...…….https://www.simgadgetstudios.com/wind-simulator found it there are ways to make your own and software to pick up speed in game your playing.

Edited by NO.20_D_McGoun

The joystick is attached to the chair, and you can attach the throttle quadrant to the chair but I have mine on the flight stand because there is a lot more chair movement than you'd expect, so It's handy to have something to hold onto and steady yourself (especially if you are in a camel spin) there have been times when I really felt like I was going to fall out of the chair (I now understand why they supply a seat harness which I thought was a bit of overkill and just for cosmetic purposes!) The rudder pedals and monitor stay put. You can get a motion platform which is attached to everything but it is around 5 times the price of this one.

When my daughter next visits, I'll see if she can video me using it, that should give you an idea of just how much it throws you around, it's a bit like a bucking bronco at times which makes aiming your guns a bit tricky.

So far I have found the Albatros easiest to fly and the camel the hardest, I have yet to recover from a camel spin! But it is so much fun.

7 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

Quite the man-cave!   And Shaw's Fighter Combat within reach for easy reference, too!   Wunderbar!

You should see the walls, they are covered in framed prints, there's a camel, spad and nieuport, various WW2 aircraft - mainly spitfires, one of which is a photo of the recon blue version with the Rolls Royce factory at Derby in the background. There's also one framed spitfire photo from the Rolls Royce boardroom which was rescued from a skip when they redecorated! And if you look thru the hole at the top of the chair in the pic, you can see my copy of Biggles of 266, Biggles Pioneer Air Fighter and Biggles of the Camel squadron!

11 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I can neither confirm nor deny that I am currently working to develop a product along these lines... ;)

• Like 1

Recently saw Sim Racing Garage displaying one of these, impressive hardware! (and love the outfit!).
Waiting for freeware arduino projects to come along with support for this title, from there can assemble my own setup.

I have the same system. I use it with the Odyssey +. Flew it with DCS for a year and now started flying IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles. At first the intensity of adding it to VR was almost too much. Now Im used to it and get completely convinced I am really flying whenever I fly with it. Its well designed, well made and well supported. So glad I got this one instead of the DOF Reality one.

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.2f23e72137affdc635f1820f35eebd99.JPGIMG_0025.thumb.JPG.3141b1c2e3ae3e20e96a1593273fb565.JPGIMG_0026.thumb.JPG.aae806e721b1abaf39d27e0fab011dd2.JPG

2 hours ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

I have the same system. I use it with the Odyssey +. Flew it with DCS for a year and now started flying IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles. At first the intensity of adding it to VR was almost too much. Now Im used to it and get completely convinced I am really flying whenever I fly with it. Its well designed, well made and well supported. So glad I got this one instead of the DOF Reality one.

IMG_0019.thumb.JPG.2f23e72137affdc635f1820f35eebd99.JPGIMG_0025.thumb.JPG.3141b1c2e3ae3e20e96a1593273fb565.JPGIMG_0026.thumb.JPG.aae806e721b1abaf39d27e0fab011dd2.JPG

Why did you buy this instead dof reality?

thanks!

Man, that's hard-core simming! I bet that's a hoot.  

Just be aware though that Biggles would never be seen in public wearing glasses and an open-necked, unironed shirt. And unless he was actually flying, it would be a cravat, not a scarf. As for the "flying helmet" …. well …..

1. DOF Reality is made somewhere in Europe or Asia. 3 Years ago it would have had to be shipped to Las Vegas where I live. Between the additional customs costs and the likelihood of things getting damaged in shipment ( of which there were posts by severl customers complaining of this)  it seemed to costly and risky to me.

2. When I was considering it, the system had a large footprint and was noisy. The NLR motion platform is neither.

3. Customer support was easier here in the US with NLR then with the company in Europe / Asia.

4. At the time some owners were reporting problems with the activators.

5. NLR is designed and made by a company that makes them for business and industry as well as consumers like me.

6. The software at that time needed lots of tweaking to work. The NLR software was more sophisticated and very well supported.

7. NLR came with a chair designed to work with the platform. At the time DOF Reality did not.

8. Overall I felt it was a wiser choice for me. And after 3 years of use with DCS and now IL2, I have never been disappointed.  ;)

https://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-motion-platform-v3/

Edited by Blasterlasvideo

4 hours ago, No56_Waggaz said:

It looks like your pedals aren’t on the platform though. Does that hurt immersion? 

That is the only turn off for me.

55 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

That is the only turn off for me.

I thought it would be an problem when I was originally shopping, but found to many issues with platforms that had that feature. See my list above regarding DOF Reality which does more your feet. And check out the prices of the others that cost a lot more.

I found that the range of motion I was comfortable with kept my feet on the pedals. So my experience between VR and the platform was of full body motion.  As I said, at first its was frighteningly real.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

And the max 10°

Only 10 banking?

I wold like to see a video of this motion system in action with IL2

Actually I have reduced the banking amount. If I leave it on full it just about dumps me out of the chair. And I want my flying experience to feel like the "real thing" (as I define it)  and not a roller coaster ride.

Watching it perform does not substitute for experiencing it in action.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:37 PM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Why did you buy this instead dof reality?

thanks!

I bought a DOF reality about 1.5 years ago for flight simming and ended up selling it to recover some minor part of my investment.

It was at that point not satisfactory for flight sims, this was my experience and also that of several other users I spoke with.

However the DOF was shipped on time, packaged well, made sturdy and very well, adequate instructions, factory support was good and not  at all difficult to set up.

The problem was the actuating motors had a lot of excessive play that simply could not be adjusted out, this provided a very rough/jerky ride, and   

there was also no speed or sensitivity adjustments.    It did not resemble flying at all however the buyer of my unit set it up for simulated racing on

dirt tracks and was extremely happy with it.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:56 AM, Blasterlasvideo said:

Actually I have reduced the banking amount. If I leave it on full it just about dumps me out of the chair. And I want my flying experience to feel like the "real thing" (as I define it)  and not a roller coaster ride.

Watching it perform does not substitute for experiencing it in action.

How smooth are the movements, racing is fast and jerky, but flying is smooth even if you yank and bank it cannot be jerky.

Can you fine tune it to your liking?