Blitzen

What the heck is SimShaker anyhow?

The first time I started hearing about it was this week ...sort of out of the blue in postings about  the latest update...Is this something like ButtKicker ( which I owned & enjoyed years ago with IL-2 1946, until it abruptly stopped working...☹️) I google SimShaker but I'm still a bit confused .How does it function ? Does it affect my old Microsoft FFB stick( Which I dearly love & still works after years of ownership? ) Is it available at a lower cost than ButtKicker? You get the idea : "I know nothing.."

giphy.gif

Edited by Blitzen

SimShaker is the software you need in order to drive transducers, such as the ButtKicker.

So not a stand alone product? It improves ButtKicker ,bought separately?

From what I can tell, and like you I've been caught on the hop and  trying to figure this out as I write, it is software that takes physical flight data from a sim to feed to devices like the buttkickker , rather than simply powering it from existing audio files.

So, if I'm right,  it isn't dependent upon the relevant sound files having enough low end base to trigger the buttkicker, but the software triggers vibrations when ever something physical shakes the aircraft regardless of whether that triggers any sound file to play. 

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Thanks 1

I really, really need to stop reading this thread...

47 minutes ago, dburne said:

I really, really need to stop reading this thread...

For VR its a great addition, very immersive, I recommend you go for it.

With Buttkicker or Jet seat 

2 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

For VR its a great addition, very immersive, I recommend you go for it.

With Buttkicker or Jet seat 

There are now more models than when I bought mine years ago,;any idea which works best with GB?

source.gif

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

There are now more models than when I bought mine years ago,;any idea which works best with GB?

source.gif

I am in Seattle area, come over and check it out.

Buttkicker works great and you can get it at a 25% discount.

I have one attached to the seat and one to the joystick.

http://portal.referralcandy.com/QPHZRDF/share_redirect?location=reminder_email&message_id=410448014&type=referral_link_email_click

Simshaker is the software plugin that supports the Jetseat and Buttkicker transducers. 

If you don't have the Jetseat from Andre's store you are really missing out. I stopped flying IL2 due to lack of support for it. I spent a weekend in Flying Circus when I got my VR Reverb headset which is amazing in VR, but the aircraft felt lifeless without it, so I went back to flying DCS. The Jetseat has 8 vibration motors that give you tactile feedback when you takeoff, land, fire weapons, etc. You will also get bilateral vibrations indicating your wing's alpha state as you approach stall/spin conditions.

It's similar to TrackIR or VR, once you try it, you can't go back to flying without it.

I brought this issue up almost a year and a half ago and one of the testers who comments frequently on the forums did not know what it was and said it was a waste of the developer's time even though he had never used it before. I just wish it wouldn't have taken this long but am very happy IL2 now properly supports it as every other major sim already does. Even WarThunder supports it. It was strange that the developers decided to support motion platforms which cost thousands of dollars that only a fraction of a percent of the community owned but would not support a product that costs less than $300. And it's worth every penny. I bought some egg crate foam to place underneath it in lieu of the seat cushion that came with the Playseat I use. I then put a wool car seat cover on top. This makes the motors barely noticeable when sitting on them but conducts the vibrations nicely. 

https://andres.shop/jetseat/24-81-jetseat-sim-edition.html#/25-color-dark_olive/31-additional_software_included-simshaker_wings

I would avoid the Realteus Forcefeel. They have not kept their word to the customers they took money from and keep making excuses for not delivering their product. Once you lose your credibility it's difficult to get back. 

That being said I have yet to try the Buttkicker transducers. I hope to try one out mounted under my Playseat soon. This is the one I'm currently looking at:

https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-gamer2-playseat-edition/

Edited by Sn8ke_iis
typo
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sn8ke_iis said:

Simshaker is the software plugin that supports the Jetseat and Buttkicker transducers. 

If you don't have the Jetseat from Andre's store you are really missing out. I stopped flying IL2 due to lack of support for it. I spent a weekend in Flying Circus when I got my VR Reverb headset which is amazing in VR, but the aircraft felt lifeless without it, so I went back to flying DCS. The Jetseat has 8 vibration motors that give you tactile feedback when you takeoff, land, fire weapons, etc. You will also get bilateral vibrations indicating your wing's alpha state as you approach stall/spin conditions.

It's similar to TrackIR or VR, once you try it, you can't go back to not using it.

I brought this issue up almost a year and a half ago and one of the testers who comments frequently on the forums did not know what it was and said it was a waste of the developer's time even though he had never used it before. I just wish it wouldn't have taken this long but am very happy IL2 now properly supports it as every other major sim already does. Even WarThunder supports it. It was strange that the developers decided to support motion platforms which cost thousands of dollars that only a fraction of a percent of the community owned but would not support a product that costs less than $300. And it's worth every penny. I bought some egg crate foam to place underneath it in lieu of the seat cushion that came with the Playseat I use. I then put a wool car seat cover on top. This makes the motors barely noticeable when sitting on them but conducts the vibrations nicely. 

https://andres.shop/jetseat/24-81-jetseat-sim-edition.html#/25-color-dark_olive/31-additional_software_included-simshaker_wings

I would avoid the Realteus Forcefeel. They have not kept their word to the customers they took money from and keep making excuses for not delivering their product. Once you lose your credibility it's difficult to get back. 

That being said I have yet to try the Buttkicker transducers. I hope to try one out mounted under my Playseat soon. This is the one I'm currently looking at:

https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-gamer2-playseat-edition/

Been using Buttkicker for almost two years, and thought it was great.

I have one attached to the seat and one to the joystick.(Joystick one is a must have)

Added Simshaker software a couple of days ago and now its really amazing!

Works so good I might not buy the Jet seat anymore.

Here is 25% discount for Buttkicker.

http://portal.referralcandy.com/QPHZRDF/share_redirect?location=reminder_email&message_id=410448014&type=referral_link_email_click

• Thanks 1

@ Sn8ke_iis

you consider to buy a Buttkicker now. Great decision, BUT I will not recommend the Buttkicker Gamer2 at all. This Buttkicker is very small and weak.

To everyone who thinks about buying a Buttkicker I recommend to go for the Buttkicker ADVANCE BK4-4. I have this one for many years already, used it attached to a Playseat with my X-box 360 years ago and later with my PS4. The ADVANCE really kicks ass, has a lot of power and adds a lot of Immersion. Soon I will try to mount it to my Motion sim rig for my PC, I am Looking for a nounting solution now.

Of course at the end it´s all personal preference, maybe you and others will like  the Gamer2, but I promise once you tried the strong power of the Advance you won´t  go back to the smaller one.

https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-advance/

Edited by spitfirejoe

4 minutes ago, spitfirejoe said:

@ Sn8ke_iis

you consider to buy a Buttkicker now. Great decision, BUT I will not recommend the Buttkicker Gamer2 at all. This Buttkicker is very small and weak.

To everyone who thinks about buying a Buttkicker I recommend to go for the Buttkicker ADVANCE BK4-4. I have this one for many years already, used it attached to a Playseat with my X-box 360 years ago and later with my PS4. The ADVANCE really kicks ass, has a lot of power and adds a lot of Immersion. Soon I will try to mount it to my Motion sim rig for my PC, I am Looking for a nounting solution now.

Of course at the end it´s all personal preference, maybe you and others will like  the Gamer2, but I promise once you tried the strong power of the Advance you won´t  go back to the smaller one.

https://thebuttkicker.com/buttkicker-advance/

Been using the Buttkicker Gamer 2  for 2 years almost every day and not a single problem, and plenty powerful.

So powerful I ran mine at about 50% setting, which gives plenty of realistic vibrations.

Maybe the 4 for other games but for flight sims the Gamer 2 has plenty of power and has prove to be reliable.

You dont want to attach something that vibrates way too much to your joystick specially, will be totally unrealistic and with time it might damage it.

What great information- thanks guys!

I think I’ll have to wait on any of these options as I am saving my pennies for tan upgrade to a 2080 graphics card & following that a new iteration of my Pimax VR hopefully later this year.Serious$$$$!

I am not talking about adding a Buttkicker to my Joystick, I want to use it for my motion rig using a lot of Sim Racing besides IL-2 and because I have Motion already with lots of road effects and all kind of others I need a stronger Buttkicker to get the Immersion which I am looking for, especially because I want to use only 1 Buttkicker and not 4 or 6 like many other Sim Racers use.

As I said it´s personal preference and I only wanted to give the idea of another option, when you are happy that´s totally fine. I tried the Gamer2 and for me it was too weak.

Since Sim Shaking is used for many years already in the Sim Racing community…...here is an interesting PDF how to connect Sim Shaking to a rig, with different combinations.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/092827_d7edc251221e4d1589b663124364f58c.pdf

Edited by spitfirejoe

I am reading now all this post with great interest. This should be a nice thing for VR users.

As I understand there are only two hardware options:

Andre SIMSHAKER JETPAD FSE (POWERED BY GAMETRIX): 252€

or

Buttkicker advance BK4-4: 250$

Never tried one of those things, but to me it seems that the Andre option could transmit better and more precisely the vibration to left/right or up/down.

Tha buttkicker just put the vibration to the whole seat, but the Andre JetPad could send the vibration to the right place. Is that true?

Is there any other serious hardware to consider?

Has anyone compared jetpad and buttkicker?

I am really considering to purchase it.

Many thanks to Dev team for allowing creating the middle software for that!

@chili,

I've been using the Gametrix KW 908 (forerunner of Gameped) since '15 in DCS. And now in IL-2. It's like VR for me, won't start the sim without it.

Although the software sends the signal to all motors (doesn't differentiate) it still feels awesome.

I don't use buttkicker and (very personally!) don't feel the need for it.

Only 'mod', I placed a car seat cover (5 euro) over the Gametrix because the surface is plastics, and this way it doesn't feel sweaty. Believe the Gameped has different fabric.

Can only recommend it, worth every penny and waiting time....

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, hsthhsth said:

Although the software sends the signal to all motors (doesn't differentiate) it still feels awesome.

Are you 100% sure about this? Because I feel a lot of difference with the use of SimShaker Wings software.

So, for example, the cue for "Engine run" is only noticeable on the motors of the bottom of my seat pad, when

I press the gun trigger, then I feel it on the whole seat, but when I stall, I can tell from which side the stall is

starting. And finally, when I roll my plane the cue is according to the side I bank my plane.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 12:37 AM, SCG_motoadve said:

Been using Buttkicker for almost two years, and thought it was great.

I have one attached to the seat and one to the joystick.(Joystick one is a must have)

Added Simshaker software a couple of days ago and now its really amazing!

Works so good I might not buy the Jet seat anymore.

Here is 25% discount for Buttkicker.

Thanks for the discount referral Motoadve. Saved $147!

:salute:

skud

Edited by ATAG_SKUD

Hello Chiliwili69,

there is NOT ONLY the option between the JETPAD or Buttkicker Advance. Buttkicker has also a smaller "Gamer 2" and there are many other transducers on the market. You could even built your own setup with transducers and a multi channel amp.

check out this shop to get an idea......

https://smoketronics.com/

Otherwise it is personal taste and preference which system you want to have. I mounted my Buttkikcer Advance yesterday to my Sparco Bucket Seat and for Sim Racing titles like iRacing that is soooooo great, I feel the engine vibrations, the gear changes, the suspension and driving on curbs and so on.

Now I tried IL-2 with the Sim Racing Studio app for Sim Shaking, I must admit that this one works great for Sim Racing software, not so good today for IL-2.

I am considering to use the software of Andre for IL-2 and for Sim Racing the Sim Racing Studio software ( which is really great for that ).

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ATAG_SKUD said:

Thanks for the discount referral Motoadve. Saved $147!

:salute:

skud

Glad to help.

I was tempted to get the jet seat, I have the Buttkickers, they work so well I decided not to buy the jet seat..

Also in the real plane you feel the vibrations on the whole seat,  which the Buttkicker does.

And also the joystick.

not for buying now .....but .....

what amp and soundcard do you use ????

you can buy a speaker that go down to 5-10 MHz .... the amp maybe down to 20 Mhz 

when you look at soundcard its about bits and not MHz  ...so .....

@Therion,

Actually, you are right, I was wrong...

I never noticed this before, maybe because my seat is reflecting the vibrations all over. But now, as I checked, only the motors on the bottom work and not on the back with only the engine running. and as soon as the plane starts moving the other motors start working as well.

Thanks for pointing out, one more advantage of this JetSeat.😀

Everything that I read about the Andre JetPad (or JeatSeat) is positive. It seems to be a must have for VR. So I ordered one.

Let´s see how it goes. I will let you know how good it is when received (hopefully 12-14 weeks).

14 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Everything that I read about the Andre JetPad (or JeatSeat) is positive. It seems to be a must have for VR. So I ordered one.

Let´s see how it goes. I will let you know how good it is when received (hopefully 12-14 weeks).

Unfortunately for me there are already several reporting how really good it is...

;)

Next time my wife tells me I ought to have my ass kicked,  I am pulling the trigger on it!!

:lol:

• Haha 3

I bought the Software of Andre today to use it with my 1 Buttkicker and it is a MUST HAVE, I use VR with HP Reverb. Will Report in Andre´s thread.

Edited by spitfirejoe

To summarize.

@André ?

Is Simshaker able to drive each engine separately from each other? 

Can we affect an effect on a particular engine

Are we able to adjust each level of vibration for each effect?

Thanks for the precision. I have ideas to improve my pit !!!

Edited by -IRRE-Axurit

I don’t think what you’re looking for is currently available. If you haven’t done so already, try the free demo. You may find you are not throwing away money. The developer also provides updates when he comes up with a fix or new option. What you desire now may be available in the future. 

In Andre´s Sim Shaker Software we are able to adjust the Vibration Level in % by Sliders.

The Effects right now are:

1. Engine Shake    2. Landing Gear    3. Flaps   4. G-Force   5. Speed Air Brake    6. Ground Bumps   7. Gun Fire   8. Payload Discharge  9. Stall/Aerodynamic Shake 10. Damage

and YES....it is possible to run up to 6 independent Shakers/Buttkickers and can contoll which Shaker shall vibrate a dedicated effect with that Software......you need to run it in 5.1mode in the Software, need a second dedicated 5.1 Soundcard which runs the Shakers.

Edited by spitfirejoe

I know about bass shakers, but I don't want to use this technology.
I think this material is very expensive for what it is in reality, they are just coils with a mass in a cylinder, and the lowest frequencies are still high.

I have a réalteus which will not be used for anything if André does not support it, I thus think of dismantling to recover the engines, to have them on places of my cockpit and to feed it with the electronic part gamtrix of the jeatseat.

And can be pass on different engines, which turn more slowly and with a better range of motion induced especially for certain effects like rolling impacts and engine failures.
 I found 0 / 12v frequency / voltage transducers, but it still makes me want to buy a sound card, and it adds complication and lowers the chances that it will work with a correct result.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:59 AM, -IRRE-Axurit said:

I know about bass shakers, but I don't want to use this technology.
I think this material is very expensive for what it is in reality, they are just coils with a mass in a cylinder, and the lowest frequencies are still high.

I have a réalteus which will not be used for anything if André does not support it, I thus think of dismantling to recover the engines, to have them on places of my cockpit and to feed it with the electronic part gamtrix of the jeatseat.

And can be pass on different engines, which turn more slowly and with a better range of motion induced especially for certain effects like rolling impacts and engine failures.
 I found 0 / 12v frequency / voltage transducers, but it still makes me want to buy a sound card, and it adds complication and lowers the chances that it will work with a correct result.

I agree butt-kickers are ludicrously over-priced but luckily it is ridiculously easy to build your own bass shaker. I built mine about a year and a half ago with junk I had laying around in my shop. It literally cost me $0. Now I never fly without it as it adds so much immersion to the sim.

Parts list:

• Old speaker, at least a 6" (can even use if the cone is blown since you cut it out anyway)
  • Old stereo or amplifier to drive it (I used a car audio amplifier and a spare PC power-supply to drive it with 12v)
  • Random bits like a long bolt, epoxy, thin strips of rigid but bendable material (wood, plastic metal)

No fancy tools needed. With that and Simshaker you can drive two shakers.

Edited by pfrances
spelling
  • Upvote 1

I just installed my ButtKicker Gamer 2 with the PlaySeat kit on PlaySeat Revolution rig yesterday and purchased SimShaker Wings. I thought the level of immersion was already amazing with IL-2 in VR, but the addition of the engine vibrations, machine gun recoil, stall buffeting and take off/landing effects cranks the immersion up to a new level. SimShaker can be a little confusing to get setup, but once it is, man is it worth it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I wonder if it will work with a Shakekit? I have a shakekit from Sim Racing Studio which works with Project Cars 2, Dirt Rally and to some extent DCS.

Edited by Snowy

10 hours ago, BigTrippinYoda said:

I just installed my ButtKicker Gamer 2 with the PlaySeat kit on PlaySeat Revolution rig yesterday and purchased SimShaker Wings. I thought the level of immersion was already amazing with IL-2 in VR, but the addition of the engine vibrations, machine gun recoil, stall buffeting and take off/landing effects cranks the immersion up to a new level. SimShaker can be a little confusing to get setup, but once it is, man is it worth it.

How much was this setup?

22 hours ago, Blitzen said:

How much was this setup?

So the total cost for my setup minus my VR headset (Rift S), HOTAS (Thrustmaster Warthog), and rudder pedals is as follows:

- Playseat Revolution Racing Seat - $379.00 from Amazon

- Playseat Gearshift Holder Pro - $66.83 from Amazon

- ButtKicker Gamer 2 Playseat Edition - $159.96 after 20% Spring Promo Offer direct from ButtKicker.com

- SimShaker Flight with Bass Shaker Support - $ 30.16 from Andre's Shop

So the total was $636.95 for everything.

If need be,  you can cut the cost of the Playseat Gearshift holder as I used this as my flight stick mount modified with a wooden adapter "plate".

The Playseat is designed more for racing simulation but it can cheaply be modified to support flight sims as I have done.