Sign in to follow this  
=RkSq=Beardme

How to move to Steam?

Hello, sorry for the rookie question. I could not seem to find a currently relevant solution in the forums. 

I own BoS and BoM, purchased through this site many years ago. Just verified I still own it, and installed the local client. 

However, I heard I can "migrate" my account to Steam by generating a Steam key. Is there still a way to do that? Can anyone tell me how? 

Thanks in advance! 

23 minutes ago, =RkSq=Beardme said:

Hello, sorry for the rookie question. I could not seem to find a currently relevant solution in the forums. 

I own BoS and BoM, purchased through this site many years ago. Just verified I still own it, and installed the local client. 

However, I heard I can "migrate" my account to Steam by generating a Steam key. Is there still a way to do that? Can anyone tell me how? 

Thanks in advance! 

This is not possible anymore - this was possible some years ago. You can only link your existing Steam IL2 item with IL2 items bought here

on this site. But you can't do it the other way.

There's one way, but it'll set you back however much BoS costs on Steam.

Basically, you buy BoS as the main game on Steam, then link accounts. That way, Steam will recognize every pack associated with your account here.

I did that last year when BoS was on sale for a few bucks and have been playing it on Steam ever since.

Thanks for the info, gents! 

LuseKofte -- for the simple reason that Steam is my defacto gaming friend network. Convience, nothing more.

On that note -- I assume the multiplayer for this game shares one ecosystem? Eg: Steam players and non-Steam players play on the same servers? 

Cheers! 

17 minutes ago, =RkSq=Beardme said:

Thanks for the info, gents! 

LuseKofte -- for the simple reason that Steam is my defacto gaming friend network. Convience, nothing more.

On that note -- I assume the multiplayer for this game shares one ecosystem? Eg: Steam players and non-Steam players play on the same servers? 

Cheers! 

Yep - one ecosystem!

13 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Out of Curiosity with no alternative intention from my side. Why do one want that?

In addition to Breadme's reason, I think Steam is the only way to play in VR isn't it? Or does non-Steam BoX somehow detect SteamVR and use it anyway?

8 minutes ago, Goffik said:

In addition to Breadme's reason, I think Steam is the only way to play in VR isn't it? 

Not true.

I also use Steam a lot for all kinds of games, but I would never move IL2 to Steam. Be aware that there is impact on how to purchase new addons and how new updates are distributed.
Most importantly, the team will get a lot less money just for the convenience of Steam’s friend list, something you can also achieve by adding IL2 manually to Steam as shortcut ( or use discord 😃 )

54 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Not true.

Care to elaborate, since you didn't bother answering the second part of my question? BoX doesn't have a native Oculus mode, so how do you get it to play through SteamVR if it's not a Steam product? The only other way I know is OpenComposite but that is not an option for everyone.

1 hour ago, SYN_Vander said:

I also use Steam a lot for all kinds of games, but I would never move IL2 to Steam. Be aware that there is impact on how to purchase new addons and how new updates are distributed.
Most importantly, the team will get a lot less money just for the convenience of Steam’s friend list, something you can also achieve by adding IL2 manually to Steam as shortcut ( or use discord 😃 )

I have to disagree with some of this.

The impact on how to purchase new addons, this has had very little impact on the developer for me and how I purchase new addons. I have only purchased BoS from steam and everything else was purchcased from the developer online store. So the developer only missed out on money from my first purchase of BoS, after that they got all the money.

The main advantage for steam for me, is auto updates. I hate starting a game only to find it needs an update before I can play it. As my gaming time is limited due to family and work, lucky for me, my PC is a family PC and so the updates tend to happen when I'm not using it 😁

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Goffik said:

Care to elaborate, since you didn't bother answering the second part of my question? BoX doesn't have a native Oculus mode, so how do you get it to play through SteamVR if it's not a Steam product? The only other way I know is OpenComposite but that is not an option for everyone.

Steam vr make a impact on fps. Open composite is far better in my experience. 

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte

8 hours ago, Goffik said:

SteamVR will launch despite running standalone BoX in VR. You don't NEED a steam copy of the game. Both versions hook into SteamVR without issue. Personally I use OpenComposite and don't launch Steam at all but I used to let Standalone BoX run via SteamVR.

Edited by [CPT]HawkeyeP

10 hours ago, w00dy said:

I have to disagree with some of this.

The impact on how to purchase new addons, this has had very little impact on the developer for me and how I purchase new addons. I have only purchased BoS from steam and everything else was purchcased from the developer online store. So the developer only missed out on money from my first purchase of BoS, after that they got all the money.

The main advantage for steam for me, is auto updates. I hate starting a game only to find it needs an update before I can play it. As my gaming time is limited due to family and work, lucky for me, my PC is a family PC and so the updates tend to happen when I'm not using it 😁

Yeah... that's a question I didn't realize I had. W00dy, are you saying if I own, say, BoS and BoK on Steam, I can still purchase single plane add-ons through the store here? And use them in Steam? And is the reverse true? 

You only need to purchase BoS on steam, but yes if you link your steam account to your Il-2 account. You can then purchase any BoX item from their store and it will work in your steam version. The only thing's I don't own are TC and the new Yak-9's, and everything else I own and was purchased through the il-2 website, apart from BoS.

Some more information here

20 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Steam vr make a impact on fps. Open composite is far better in my experience. 

Yes, I already know the advantages of OC but as I said, it is not an option for everybody. I'm one of those who can't use it.

17 hours ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

SteamVR will launch despite running standalone BoX in VR. You don't NEED a steam copy of the game. Both versions hook into SteamVR without issue. Personally I use OpenComposite and don't launch Steam at all but I used to let Standalone BoX run via SteamVR.

This I did not know. That's pretty cool and it's a shame I didn't know that before making my purchase a few years back. Despite preferring all my games to be in one place, this is a case when I would rather the full price go to the devs rather than Steam.