Jump to content
chiliwili69

9900KS versus future 10900K, worth to wait?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Black-Bart said:

"If" 5ghz on all cores is really the benchmark mark we are looking at which seems to be even the next release of cpu, is it worth getting anything over the i5 9600k and overclocking that to 5ghz on all cores?


Is the 9900K, or 10900K faster really for this game with their extra cores?

I have a i7 6700k running at 4.7ghz, and looking at getting to the 5ghz point, which hopefully improve things, but to do so would need a M/B and CPU upgrade. If the next cpu's are not going to push way ahead of 5ghz, then the 9600k might be a good way to go?

 

 

I would only get the i5-9600K if you are on a budget. Better to get the i7-9700K, because the extra cores will come in handy if you record a track and want to edit a video for example. I never streamed, but then I think even an i9-9900K would be better, I'm not sure.

 

I have the i5-9600K and in retrospect I should have gotten the i7-9700K, because then I would have a CPU for years to come playing these simulators or rendering some tracks (I had an i7-3770K at 4.7Ghz). I'm no professional video editor or streamer, than I have no use for many cores or threads, and an i7 with 8 cores at 5Ghz would be sweet. Although I have no trouble to OC my chip to 5Ghz. I use 1.32V and the temps get to mid 60ºCs rendering a video with the CPU at 100% (more load on the CPU than with AIDA64 with CPU and FPU checked).

 

There is the chip lottery, but with 4.8Ghz my voltage drops to 1.22V, then I imagine that even with a somewhat bad chip you can get to 4.9Ghz and below 1.3V, which will give you very low temps and the need of only a good air cooler or a 240 rad.

 

I would only get the i9 if I had money to spend, perhaps even a binned i9. But I would get 3600Mhz RAM or higher. There are some good sticks out there with low CAS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HunDread said:

 

Because they need money and people go crazy when they are given new stuff. It's a match. Just look at the raving in the dev diaries / general discussions anytime something new is thrown out or just planned.

 

Well then they need to sell us a new engine...and throw a couple of planes in. I would be happy to pay. If I could just have a smooth MP VR performance I would pay 100USD. It's far cheaper than buying the latest hardware and goggles to try and get a measly few fps and reduce the horrible stuttering. You guys are discussing 800-1000USD CPU's here, then you have not even looked at a GPU or motherboard. Its no wonder this game is struggling for cash....it needs a minimum 3000USD PC to run and even then its struggling because of the old coding.

 

The VR is insane in this game but the experience is demolished with all the stuttering in that you start to feel seriously ill.  Sad really because you know they are onto something but its just not there yet.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

Well then they need to sell us a new engine...

He‘d probably need a kickstarter for that ad I doubt sales numbers remain constant for all game modules. He‘d have to have planning outlook of several months after hiring and training some *very* knowledgeable people. On to of that, with a new engine there might be tweaks required for the whole existing content, adding to the tally of FTE‘s required over time. He‘d need serious cash beforehand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

He‘d probably need a kickstarter for that ad I doubt sales numbers remain constant for all game modules. He‘d have to have planning outlook of several months after hiring and training some *very* knowledgeable people. On to of that, with a new engine there might be tweaks required for the whole existing content, adding to the tally of FTE‘s required over time. He‘d need serious cash beforehand.

 

 

Jason  said they are working on switching  to "Deferred rendering".

This may improve performance overall, including in VR. DCS looks stunning since they switched to deferred rendering. I don't know if that changes how the CPU does things.

 

 

Edited by Jaws2002

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until Intel gets their tech up to the level of AMD, I see little reason to buy Intel for a few FPS more when the newer AMD chips annihilate Intel chips in every other conceivable category.

 

I'm still running my 8700k but I plan on moving to AMD when I look for a new CPU, barring some amazing announcement from Intel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaws2002 said:

Jason  said they are working on switching  to "Deferred rendering".

Looking at DCS we can say that it surely will not be the technology to make 100% use of 16 cores each. For the extra *oomph* we have to pay ~$1'000 to Intel etc.. We will not get that by DR. DR can make the looks different and on some hardware it will run better. But it is utterly unrelated to our "single core issue" as DR by all means only concerns the rendering of the scene which, before and after, is done on the GPU alone.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

Looking at DCS we can say that it surely will not be the technology to make 100% use of 16 cores each. For the extra *oomph* we have to pay ~$1'000 to Intel etc.. We will not get that by DR. DR can make the looks different and on some hardware it will run better. But it is utterly unrelated to our "single core issue" as DR by all means only concerns the rendering of the scene which, before and after, is done on the GPU alone.

 

 

You are right. That will change how the GPU is working, not how the CPU does it's part of the work. DCS is using the CPU more efficiently and more cores are put to work, but the game is a lot more complex. There's no work for 16 cores in either of this games. 

 

Here I recorded a quick flight in DCS with MSI afterburner on, just to see how the CPU is being used:

 

 

 

 

There's just not enough work load in games to use all this CPU, but on the other hand, you know the CPU is not being used properly, when switching from a  6 core/12 thread 3600x to a 16 core/32 threads 3950x, with 300MHz higher boost clock, and twice the L3 Cache, gets zero difference in game performance.

 

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, =EXPEND=Dendro said:

If I could just have a smooth MP VR performance I would pay 100USD.

 

Have you tried with the new 4.004 patch? I played this evening and had much better performance in multiplayer. It's not frame capped all the time but it's much much better than previously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alonzo said:

 

Have you tried with the new 4.004 patch? I played this evening and had much better performance in multiplayer. It's not frame capped all the time but it's much much better than previously.

Yes it seems to be much better (Berloga).... Ill be on Combat Box later today.😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no change or improvement in that regard though. If you do tests, you will find the same performance as before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For Il-2, I'd look more to the 10700k. It is the eight core part, and last I checked, expectations were that it would boost as well as the 10900K.

 

For this latest Lake refresh, it's really looking like Intel is enabling hyper threading on all of its CPU stack, so lower core parts are more viable than they were in 9th gen. 

 

Honestly, if you are building this year though, it's best to wait for the second half of the year, once nVidia and AMD have released their next gen GPUs. Right now, with the graphics settings I want, I think I'm mostly GPU bound in VR, with a 1080 Ti.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, AuburnAlumni said:

Until Intel gets their tech up to the level of AMD, I see little reason to buy Intel for a few FPS more when the newer AMD chips annihilate Intel chips in every other conceivable category.

 

I'm still running my 8700k but I plan on moving to AMD when I look for a new CPU, barring some amazing announcement from Intel.

 

What if you don't care about the other conceivable categories? If not for gaming I wouldn't upgrade. 

 

I was about to pull  the trigger on an i7 9700K upgrade. I'm on an i7 6700k (4.2 max OC bad bin) with a 2080ti. 

 

So, what CPU should I buy? I can't even find the i9 9900KS in stock on Amazon or Newegg. 

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

 

What if you don't care about the other conceivable categories? If not for gaming I wouldn't upgrade. 

 

I was about to pull  the trigger on an i7 9700K upgrade. I'm on an i7 6700k (4.2 max OC bad bin) with a 2080ti. 

 

So, what CPU should I buy? I can't even find the i9 9900KS in stock on Amazon or Newegg. 

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

 

9700k should do well for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dburne said:

 

9700k should do well for you.

 

I assumed from the OP that tests have shown that the 9900K and 9900KS are the best performers in IL-2. 

 

I really don't want to skimp. I want the best setup I can get right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

 

I assumed from the OP that tests have shown that the 9900K and 9900KS are the best performers in IL-2. 

 

I really don't want to skimp. I want the best setup I can get right now. 

 

Yes, no two ways about it. If you really want the best, get a binned 9900KS, a good water cooler and get it past 5Ghz. For example, regarding the link I posted, the 5Ghz special edition has the same price of a stock i9-9900KS on Newegg, but it is a guaranteed 5Ghz at 1.25V chip, which is pretty good. Buying on a store or online, you incur in the risk of getting to 5Ghz with 1.3V or more depending on the chip. The KS series is not related to voltage, but that the chip will reach 5Ghz on all cores, then you can get a bad one with 1.35V. I would be very pissed in this case.

 

So if you want the best, do a research first. Der8ouer has also binned chips.

 

EDIT: if you don't need that many threads, the i7-9700K is also an option. Or you can disable Hyper Threading on the i9-9900KS if you want to.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 5:21 PM, SeaW0lf said:

 

Yes, no two ways about it. If you really want the best, get a binned 9900KS, a good water cooler and get it past 5Ghz. For example, regarding the link I posted, the 5Ghz special edition has the same price of a stock i9-9900KS on Newegg, but it is a guaranteed 5Ghz at 1.25V chip, which is pretty good. Buying on a store or online, you incur in the risk of getting to 5Ghz with 1.3V or more depending on the chip. The KS series is not related to voltage, but that the chip will reach 5Ghz on all cores, then you can get a bad one with 1.35V. I would be very pissed in this case.

 

So if you want the best, do a research first. Der8ouer has also binned chips.

 

EDIT: if you don't need that many threads, the i7-9700K is also an option. Or you can disable Hyper Threading on the i9-9900KS if you want to.

 

Wow, I never knew about this place. I can buy a CPU guaranteed to OC. 

 

I have an old Noctua Cooler Master air cooler. It' one of those huge air coolers. I think it's comparable to water cooling? 

 

Will the new 10900K require a new motherboard? I see that it may boost to 5.1Ghz

 

Intel Core i9-10900K Listed With 5.1 GHz Boost Clock

I want to upgrade before Half-Life Alyx. Not sure I can wait. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

 

Wow, I never knew about this place. I can buy a CPU guaranteed to OC. 

 

I have an old Noctua Cooler Master air cooler. It' one of those huge air coolers. I think it's comparable to water cooling? 

 

Will the new 10900K require a new motherboard? I see that it may boost to 5.1Ghz

 

Intel Core i9-10900K Listed With 5.1 GHz Boost Clock

I want to upgrade before Half-Life Alyx. Not sure I can wait. 

 

If the cooler has two towers, might be the NH-D14, or even the D15. You can reach 5Ghz with them if the chip has good voltage. Just give it a try. If you can't, get a good 360mm rad water cooler.

 

Yes, you will need a new motherboard for the 10900K, but I would not wait if you intent to get a new rig now. The 10900K might arrive at the end of the year, perhaps early 2021. Who knows?

Also, the 5.1Ghz boost clock is misleading. This is for a single core, just 100mhz higher than the i9-9900K, but the i9-9900KS clocks 5Ghz for all cores. Then we might find the same binned performance for both the 9000 and 10000 series. Perhaps the 10000 series is a bit better on voltage due to the 10 cores, and perhaps a better solution for the soldered IHS and the die thickness, but the 14nm process is so old that I don't think they can do magic at this point and the chip will have similar voltage results. I might be wrong, but to wait a year just to gamble on 100Mhz more is not really worthy in my opinion.

So if you want a rig now, just buy the KS. For the time being, if you don't need that many threads, just disable Hyper Threading to enjoy 8 premium cores at 5Ghz or more. 1.25V on that case will give you decent temps for sure, just get a good motherboard and at least 3600Mhz RAM with low Cas.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2020 at 11:21 PM, SeaW0lf said:

If you really want the best, get a binned 9900KS, a good water cooler and get it past 5Ghz. For example, regarding the link I posted, the 5Ghz special edition has the same price of a stock i9-9900KS on Newegg, but it is a guaranteed 5Ghz at 1.25V chip, which is pretty good

 

Be careful with the info promised by SiliconLottery. They always use an AVX offset of 2. So, for the 5.0GHz model, it means they guarantee 4.8GHz using AVX instructions at 1.25V (IL-2 uses AVX instructions). They said that 95% of the 9900KS chips achieved that. So why to buy from them.

 

I really don´t understand why they are advertising 9900KS chips at 4.9GHz when the Intel default provides 5.0GHz (all cores) and good cooling.

 

I think it is better to disable two cores (to get higher freq) rather than spend 1.100$ on a SiliconLoterry 5.2 chip.

Edited by chiliwili69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did not know about the offset thing, will research about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 3:37 AM, chiliwili69 said:

 

Be careful with the info promised by SiliconLottery. They always use an AVX offset of 2. So, for the 5.0GHz model, it means they guarantee 4.8GHz using AVX instructions at 1.25V (IL-2 uses AVX instructions). They said that 95% of the 9900KS chips achieved that. So why to buy from them.

 

I really don´t understand why they are advertising 9900KS chips at 4.9GHz when the Intel default provides 5.0GHz (all cores) and good cooling.

 

I think it is better to disable two cores (to get higher freq) rather than spend 1.100$ on a SiliconLoterry 5.2 chip.

 

Any suggestions on what I should buy? Will I get smooth frame rates? 

 

I have an Index and 2080 ti. Currently i7 6700K that refuses to overclock above 4.2Ghz. 

 

I was thinking of gettting the i9 9900KS rated for 5.0Ghz from Sillicon Lottery. (I can't find it in stock anywhere else. Any suggestions?)

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme

 

I'm confused about what memory I should get. 

32 GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200  (Should I get faster memory? Does it make any difference?)

 

I know the 10900K is coming but will it be a big improvement? I don't care about the extra cores. I just got my bonus, I want to buy now before it disappears. 

Or will i9 9900KS prices drop when the 10900K is released? Will the new mb for the 10900K be compatible with Ice Lake 10nm? I would hate to buy another dead end motherboard. 

 

Edited by BlackMambaMowTin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very unlikely that you can’t go beyond 4.2Ghz on your i7-6700K. You either have a poor cooling solution or you are setting your BIOS wrong. Do some research on overclocking forums and watch some videos. Nowadays overclock is not that hard, you just have to do it right.

 

If you want the best, the i9-9900KS is still the best for simulators as far as everyone knows. As other people here have mentioned, you can get even an i5-9600K, but I would not advise you to do so. I have an i5-9600K and I wish I had gone with an i7-9700K. It comes in handy when I'm rendering videos or compacting files, and I'm not sure the core load that MFS 2020 will put on the CPU. I'm not a video editor or a Youtuber, but I had the money to get the i7 and I should have done it. I considered the i5 as a temporary solution. Now I'm already considering the next generation as an update, when if I had the i7, I would only replace my kit years later.

 

I found this thread about Silicon Lottery. The AVX thing seems to be about temps. Customers are saying that with a good cooling solution they run the same specs with 0-AVX. Perhaps this is not true for every chip, who knows, but the 5Ghz edition at least could get you off the chip lottery. You could also get lucky and buy a KS that runs below 1.25V elsewhere. But if they cost approximately the same, I would probably buy the binned one. And if you are not fiding any KS online, I see no reason to not buy the Silicon Lottery one.

 

If you are not after the best one (I'm not sure what sort of workload you use), you can get the i7-9700K. 

 

And I would wait a bit to see what comes of the Comet Lake.

 

And I would get at least 3600Mhz RAM with cas 16 or even 14.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, SeaW0lf said:

It is very unlikely that you can’t go beyond 4.2Ghz on your i7-6700K. You either have a poor cooling solution or you are setting your BIOS wrong. Do some research on overclocking forums and watch some videos. Nowadays overclock is not that hard, you just have to do it right.

 

If you want the best, the i9-9900KS is still the best for simulators as far as everyone knows. As other people here have mentioned, you can get even an i5-9600K, but I would not advise you to do so. I have an i5-9600K and I wish I had gone with an i7-9700K. It comes in handy when I'm rendering videos or compacting files, and I'm not sure the core load that MFS 2020 will put on the CPU. I'm not a video editor or a Youtuber, but I had the money to get the i7 and I should have done it. I considered the i5 as a temporary solution. Now I'm already considering the next generation as an update, when if I had the i7, I would only replace my kit years later.

 

I found this thread about Silicon Lottery. The AVX thing seems to be about temps. Customers are saying that with a good cooling solution they run the same specs with 0-AVX. Perhaps this is not true for every chip, who knows, but the 5Ghz edition at least could get you off the chip lottery. You could also get lucky and buy a KS that runs below 1.25V. But if they cost approximately the same, I would probably buy the binned one. And if you are not fiding any KS online, I see no reason to not buy the Silicon Lottery one.

 

If you are not after the best one (I'm not sure what sort of workload you use), you can get the i7-9700K. 

 

And I would wait a bit to see what comes of the Comet Lake.

 

And I would get at least 3600Mhz RAM with cas 16 or even 14.

 

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

I'm starting to think that this upgrade will just be temporary until the 10nm Ice Lake comes out next year so maybe I shouldn't spend too much. I can always ebay this stuff when something better comes along. 

 

If I go i7 9700K. Should I go for a delided one from Sillicon Lottery? 

 

Based on your memory recommendations, I would buy the following: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB

 

I have a Noctua air cooler. I saw reviews which claim it's almost as good as water cooling. Is it? 

 

Noctua-NH-U12A-Test-Review-07-678x381.jp

Edited by BlackMambaMowTin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BlackMambaMowTin said:

 

 

Thanks for the reply.

 

I'm starting to think that this upgrade will just be temporary until the 10nm Ice Lake comes out next year so maybe I shouldn't spend too much.

 

If I go i7 9700K. Should I go for a delided one from Sillicon Lottery? 

 

Based on your memory recommendations, I would buy the following: G.SKILL Trident Z Neo Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C14D-16GTZNB

 

I have a Noctua air cooler. I saw reviews which claim it's almost as good as water cooling. Is it? 

 

Noctua-NH-U12A-Test-Review-07-678x381.jp

 

 

I would get just the standard i7-9700K, or even the KF (with no integrated graphics). No hassle. There are rumors on the internet that the lack of IGPU makes the KF overclock a bit better, but I never looked further into it.

 

The NH-U12A is a good air cooler, just a tad expensive for the performance. The NH-U14S (I had one) is cheaper, lighter and it appears to perform a bit better (*those online reviews are insane). From all the tests I have done with air coolers and water coolers in the past, the water cooler will always perform better if you have decent fans (the new RGB ones are crappy, some with 1.6 of static pressure, which is ludicrous for AIO radiators).

 

*the reviews with Noctua’s beating 360 AIO rads seems a bit farfetched to me (lots of ill intentioned reviews, some just plain incompetent). At least on an i7-3770K at 4.6Ghz, an Assassin II with Akasa Fans (true turbines) matches a 240 AIO from Cooler Master, then I doubt that an NH-D15 will beat a good 360 AIO rad. And I saw nothing in special in my NH-U14S. I consider my 9900 NT better optimized, since it is way smaller and just a bit worse with just 2 interlaced heat pipes! When the NH-U14S has 6 heatipes! So I did not bite on the Noctua hype and sold my NH-U14S and kept my two 9900 NT, currently using on my rig and my spare rig. Perhaps the soldered chips make a difference for air coolers, but that’s not what I saw with the old Intels in the past.

 

You could get at least to 4.6Ghz with your i7-6700K. I've heard some people not being able to pass beyond 4.4Ghz in some Intel chips, but you would have to be very unlucky. With the i7-9700K, you could get to 4.8Ghz on the NH-U12A depending on the ambient temperature or even 5Ghz. Here in Rio, with 32ºC (90ºF), I can get to 4.8Ghz on my i5-9600K with 1.22V IIRC. I'm using a Zalman 9900 NT, which performs a few degrees higher than my old NH-U14S running my old i7-3770K at 4.6Ghz. With a 240mm AIO, I think I could run it at 5Ghz. I'm currently building another custom loop with an Alphacool 360 XT45 that is sitting around here. Before I had a mod with a Barrow 360 and a DeepCool block that was running at 5Ghz.

 

Just try to overclock it to the limit of the NH-U12A. If the temps are not that good and the voltage is low, get a 360 rad AIO. Since you don't seem to have experience, I would not venture into custom loops.

 

On the RAM, there are some threads in this forum about it. But a 3600Mhz CL14 RAM is appealing nonetheless. Perhaps 32GB is more advisable, perhaps for DCS or MFS 2020? I'm not that knowledgeable about RAM in simulators.

 

I’m sure other people will have other suggestions as well.

Edited by SeaW0lf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why some folks discount the i9 9900k versus the KS.

Most 9900k's reach 5 GHz relatively easily with proper cooling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dburne said:

Not sure why some folks discount the i9 9900k versus the KS.

Most 9900k's reach 5 GHz relatively easily with proper cooling.

 

After my experience with trying to overclock my i7 6700K, I don't feel lucky. I probably have the worst i7 6700K.

 

I just don't want to deal with the hassle to save $100. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 8:15 PM, BlackMambaMowTin said:

If I go i7 9700K

 

If budget is not a constraint, I would go to a 9900K/9900KS over the 9700K.

 

Why?

 

Well, there is two reasons (just thoughts, not real facts at hand):

 

1.- If you look at the results table for Remagen tests, you will see some test of the 9900K at 5.2GHz and other 8086K or 9600K at 5.2GHz deliver less fps. I think the reason could be the cache, which is larger in the 9900K/KS.  Ideally people with the 9900K/KS could run the test at 5.0GHz just to compare the results with others 9700K and verify that the cache plays a role.

 

2.- Higher clock speeds. I think that 9900K/KS has more room for OC that the 9700K, for the same cooling solution.

 

In any case, I am exactly in the same boat than you. Wanting to upgrade to 9700K/9900K/9900KS/10900K.

If you are at US and since there is no stock of KS, the siliconlottery at 5.1 for the KS is not a bad choice after all.

 

BTW, Regarding RAM, yes, this matter. For IL-2 VR go for the fastest one and no more than 16Gb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

BTW, Regarding RAM, yes, this matter. For IL-2 VR go for the fastest one and no more than 16Gb

 

I would disagree with this statement.

IL-2 GB - at least for now - yes 16 GB is enough. But who knows what it will be a couple of years or so down the road. 

Also there are other games, like another combat flight sim, that do use more than 16 GB currently. I would imagine the new flight sim coming out from Microsoft probably does

as well.

 

IMHO I would recommend 32 GB for anyone building a new rig today.  Unless IL-2 is and will be the only game they will ever play. But again even it's RAM usage is likely to 

increase over time.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

IL-2 GB - at least for now - yes 16 GB is enough

 

This is exactly what I was saying. 16GB is right now more than enough for IL-2 VR.  Other considerations (other apps or games) are not taken into account.

 

If you have a 4 RAM slot MoBo, and if your only purpose is IL-2 VR, then the most clever choice is to go to 2x8Gb sticks at fastest speed. So you invest money in speed and not in size.

 

Then, if in future IL-2 VR needs more than 16Gb, then you can buy 2x8Gb sticks of same speed. Which will be cheaper at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

This is exactly what I was saying. 16GB is right now more than enough for IL-2 VR.  Other considerations (other apps or games) are not taken into account.

 

If you have a 4 RAM slot MoBo, and if your only purpose is IL-2 VR, then the most clever choice is to go to 2x8Gb sticks at fastest speed. So you invest money in speed and not in size.

 

Then, if in future IL-2 VR needs more than 16Gb, then you can buy 2x8Gb sticks of same speed. Which will be cheaper at that time.

 

Actually you said no more than 16 GB. That could be taken as having more is not a good thing.

;)

Which is what I was taking exception with - having more hurts nothing, and makes sense.

My mantra is it is always better to have more, than not enough.

You are going on the presumption that IL-2 is the only game one plays and it will stay static. Also it is better to buy ram in matched sets, so 16 GB now then adding another 16 GB in a year or so might be a bit problematic. So I will always recommend for a new build 32 GB matched set.

 

Anyway no biggie, just wanted to make sure folks following the thread did not get wrong impression on amount of ram.

 

I

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IL2 @ 4K res Ultra Preset with Extreme Clouds Uses 12-14GB of System Ram and 5.5GB or Vram
(so even in this case 16GB not enough need atleast 6-8GB overhead not being used by game)

Not sure how IL2 VR @ 2.5K per eye Ultra Preset with Extreme Clouds would use less
probably 18-24GB system ram and 8GB Vram used on those settings total 5K res

 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$50 Liquid Cooler (thermaltake,corsair and so on) 
Far superior to any $100-300 Air cooler. 
(in ambient Temps over 25*C) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2020 at 1:36 PM, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

Not sure how IL2 VR @ 2.5K per eye Ultra Preset with Extreme Clouds would use less
probably 18-24GB system ram and 8GB Vram used on those settings total 5K res

 

No, IL-2 VR doesn´t need more than 16Gb of system RAM with any device I have tested (CV1, VivePro, Pimax5K+, Reverb, Index)

Edited by chiliwili69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

No, IL-2 VR doesn´t need more than 16Gb of system RAM with any device I have tested (CV1, VivePro, Pimax5K+, Reverb, Index)

so what is it using just curious. 14GB or 15gb? 

IL2 in 2nd mode at 2K res ultra preset uses 12-14GB, so even in 2d mode 16GB is not enough and
NEED 4-8gb free for windows 10 or 2-4gb free for windows 7.

How can VR use less than 2D. 
(i guess people in VR running Ultra PReset with Full terrain and shadows on those RTX2080)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:



IL2 in 2nd mode at 2K res ultra preset uses 12-14GB, so even in 2d mode 16GB is not enough and
NEED 4-8gb free for windows 10 or 2-4gb free for windows 7.

How can VR use less than 2D. 

 


Had to test 2d vs vr mem usage. With discord, hwinfo, joytokey, oculus home and all those open my not so clean windows 10 install uses almost 4gb of memory.

 

Kept an eye on memory usage for a few multiplayer sorties and even on a very busy Mp server it did not go above 8gb of total system usage. Trying a heavy sp mission with low and full cloud cover, rain, fog and lot's of ai I peaked out at almost 9gb of total system memory, but was mostly closer to 8. This is in VR, Ultra, with extreme clouds.

 

Cranked all settings to full and in 4k 2d-mode that same mission peaked out at 8.5gb total system usage, but again was mostly closer to 8gb. Are you using any resource heavy mods? You memory usage is going through the roof compared to mine.

 

On 2/10/2020 at 12:32 PM, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

$50 Liquid Cooler (thermaltake,corsair and so on) 
Far superior to any $100-300 Air cooler. 
(in ambient Temps over 25*C) 

 


Care to explain these physics?

Edited by SvAF/F16_radek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SvAF/F16_radek I dont have a screenshot at the moment of my hud on
3440 x 1440 /ultra preset / extreme 

This was at 1080P /Ultra preset/ High clouds/ (full terrain detail and range)
Windows 7 pro was using about 2GB with stuff running
So other 6.6GB was IL2 @ 1080P

NO MODS As i only play multiplayer.  
Il-2-2020-02-06-07-20-49-507.png

also regarding liquid cooling im talking about in a warm room. 
Glycol Ethanol in my Custom cooler has much higher heat transfer ability which is then still cooled in radiator on back.


My Overclocked FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz was running at 45*C max load (180 watts)
in a room temp of 26*C 

The specs listed on the best Aircooler (old style) i could was
55*C @ 4.5Ghz @ 20*C
With stock cooler @ 4.0ghz it runs at about
55*C @ 4.0Ghz @ 20*C (4.5Ghz not possible) 

Keep in mind the AMD-FX8350 cpu has a MAX Operating Temp of 61*C and shutdown at 63-65*C 
Also note this was in 2014 when i built the system. 

( i have enough cooling capacity for a 300 Watt CPU as was intending to run 9590 @ 5.5 Ghz but no motherboard could support it without soldering on mods. )

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Were you measuring temps with regular apps such as HWmonitor or HWiNFO64? Because the FX CPU can only be read by the app AMD Overdrive. For some reason it has an offset temp that varies from chip to chip and the reading will be off by some 10ºC. Those low temps AMD users report are not what they think it is. Hard as well to calculate the true temp, since you have to know for sure the offset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SvAF/F16_radek said:

Had to test 2d vs vr mem usage. With discord, hwinfo, joytokey, oculus home and all those open my not so clean windows 10 install uses almost 4gb of memory.

 

Kept an eye on memory usage for a few multiplayer sorties and even on a very busy Mp server it did not go above 8gb of total system usage. Trying a heavy sp mission with low and full cloud cover, rain, fog and lot's of ai I peaked out at almost 9gb of total system memory, but was mostly closer to 8. This is in VR, Ultra, with extreme clouds.

 

Cranked all settings to full and in 4k 2d-mode that same mission peaked out at 8.5gb total system usage, but again was mostly closer to 8gb. Are you using any resource heavy mods? You memory usage is going through the roof compared to mine.

 

My tests are very much aligned with yours:

 

Before lunch IL2:  RAM: 3.8GB, L3cache: 0.68MB

 

4KMonitor (max settings): RAM: 7.5GB, L3cache: 5.5MB

 

VR Index (max settings): RAM: 7.9GB, L3cache: 6.2MB

VR Index (my usual settings): RAM: 7.8GB L3cache: 4.4MB

 

More info here:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

 

My tests are very much aligned with yours:

 

Before lunch IL2:  RAM: 3.8GB, L3cache: 0.68MB

 

 

deleted.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2020 at 4:15 PM, BlackMambaMowTin said:

 

After my experience with trying to overclock my i7 6700K, I don't feel lucky. I probably have the worst i7 6700K.

 

I just don't want to deal with the hassle to save $100. 

Did you try to reapply thermal paste and re install the cpu cooler? 

 That could be the issue. It's very easy to get performance issues if the cooler is not sitting properly on the CPU. Maybe the thermal paste is not covering all the die, or it's old and got dry.

Get yourself a tube of Kryonaut and check the cpu cooler contact. 

First make sure the fan is actually spinning. You could just as well have a dead fan.

 

Good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...