LukeFF

Mixed usage of P-51 B/Cs and P-51Ds in USAAF squadrons

The main thing that would make our D-15 look out of place for the era is the dorsal fin, I believe. All P-51s in service, including B and C models, were eventually retrofitted with the fins where possible, but the vast majority of retrofits took place after D-Day

aafpub3.jpg.b2057c17f8ad504bcaf7ac2666e41a92.jpg

These upgrades were gradual, and done as kits came in. You sometimes see pictures of flights of Mustangs where only one or two of the aircraft have the fin. See the below picture where only the second airplane has a fin (and note the B/C in the back!)

P51gr.jpg.67557b577526c9c625aba408d499fd71.jpg

The only real difference between the D-5 and D-15 is the dorsal fin, so I wouldn't mind seeing Mustang Ds from June 6th.

What is the campaign-timeframe anyway?

Wouldn't "softening up the Normandy" pre-invasion be an integral part?

2 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

What is the campaign-timeframe anyway?

Wouldn't "softening up the Normandy" pre-invasion be an integral part?

Sure that would make a lot of sense. Best timeframe would be to start after "Big Week" in early march. That would give the player 3 months pre-invasion to soften up everything of operational importance in NW-France. And then after D-Day the player has the 84 days past Invasion to kill everything what moves, may it be on the ground or in the air. Normandy campaign officially was over with 29th August and the germans being pushed across the Seine river.

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/battle-of-normandy/days/29-august-1944

19 hours ago, sevenless said:

Sure that would make a lot of sense. Best timeframe would be to start after "Big Week" in early march. That would give the player 3 months pre-invasion to soften up everything of operational importance in NW-France. And then after D-Day the player has the 84 days past Invasion to kill everything what moves, may it be on the ground or in the air. Normandy campaign officially was over with 29th August and the germans being pushed across the Seine river.

We plan to start a career around mid-April, when half of the USAAF squadrons had already arrived in England and they began to fly over northern France. The career will end on August 22, at the same time as the end of the Battle of the Falaise Pocket because not even a single Luftwaffe unit will remain on our map after that date. The borders of the map are approved and cannot be changed or moved apart.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BlackSix said:

We plan to start a career around mid-April, when half of the USAAF squadrons had already arrived in England and they began to fly over northern France. The career will end on August 22, at the same time as the end of the Battle of the Falaise Pocket because not even a single Luftwaffe unit will remain on our map after that date. The borders of the map are approved and cannot be changed or moved apart.

Sounds great. Enough time for pre- and past-D-Day business. Even enough time for some Tip-Run raids on the british coastal towns with Fw 190 F3/G3s.

Edited by sevenless

Given the time-frame, is there a plan to implement an early P-38J some time down the road?

It was a fairly common airframe at that time:

Seven Fighter Groups at the beginning of the campaign-timeframe and five Fighter Groups and the end...

At the time of the D-Day landings the P-38J was in service with the following units:

8th AAF

20th Fighter Group (converted to P-51 July '44)

55th Fighter Squadron
77th Fighter Squadron
79th Fighter Squadron

55th Fighter Group (converted to P-51 July '44)

38th Fighter Squadron
338th Fighter Squadron
343rd Fighter Squadron

364th Fighter Group (converted to P-51 Aug '44)

383rd Fighter Squadron
384th Fighter Squadron
385th Fighter Squadron

479th fighter Group (converted to P-51 Sept '44)

434th Fighter Squadron
435th Fighter Squadron
436th Fighter Squadron

9th AAF

367th Fighter Group (converted to P-47 early '45)

392nd Fighter Squadron
393rd Fighter Squadron
394th Fighter Squadron

370th Fighter Group (converted to P-51 Feb '45)

401st Fighter Squadron
402nd Fighter Squadron
485th Fighter Squadron

474th Fighter Group

428th Fighter Squadron
429th Fighter Squadron
430th Fighter Squadron

52 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

Given the time-frame, is there a plan to implement an early P-38J some time down the road?

It was a fairly common airframe at that time:

Seven Fighter Groups at the beginning of the campaign-timeframe and five Fighter Groups and the end...

We've checked list of losses for the P-38 squadrons. You'll be able to fly P-38J-25 from BoBP since July 15 in 367th FG and 474th FG.

• Like 1

That's not quite the answer I was secretly hoping for (hint, hint 😜), but it's good to know there'll be a place vor the Lightning in BoN.

Thanks BlackSix!

13 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

That's not quite the answer I was secretly hoping for (hint, hint 😜), but it's good to know there'll be a place vor the Lightning in BoN.

Thanks BlackSix!

He stated BoBP not BoN, perhaps he meant BoN @BlackSix ?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Field-Ops said:

He stated BoBP not BoN, perhaps he meant BoN @BlackSix ?

I think he was saying the P-38 from BoBP, as in flying the Bodenplatte P-38 in Normandy and not making a new P-38.

Edited by Legioneod

3 hours ago, Legioneod said:

I think he was saying the P-38 from BoBP, as in flying the Bodenplatte P-38 in Normandy and not making a new P-38.

That's the way I understood it.

2 hours ago, Bremspropeller said:

That's the way I understood it.

Don´t worry. P-38 can be modded in if they don´t include it pre D-Day.

To mix the P-51 D with B and C models we need P-51 D-5 and D-10.

To cover more missions and scenarios between D-Day and Spring 1945 we need more variants.

Some will say that this is just cosmetic. I prefere to call this historical accuracy.

4 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

To mix the P-51 D with B and C models we need P-51 D-5 and D-10.

To cover more missions and scenarios between D-Day and Spring 1945 we need more variants.

Some will say that this is just cosmetic. I prefere to call this historical accuracy.

The D-15 works fine as a stand in, same for the P-47D-28 standing in for an earlier block like the D-26. Can't have every possible variant, performance figures were pretty much identical anyways.

I'm sorry but I can't agree with such a statement.

It's not about having every P-51 D in game, it's about having multiple variants to cover a given time frame.

Nobody is complaining about having Bf 109 F-2 and F-4.

We'll have a limited number of aircrafts in game. (Quality over quantity seems to be dev's motto)

Adding some variants to what we already have is a nice way to expand it.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

It's not about having every P-51 D in game, it's about having multiple variants to cover a given time frame.

We'll have a limited number of aircrafts in game. (Quality over quantity seems to be dev's motto)

Agreed but it's a matter of money/time. Having a D-5 or D-10 may seems like a simple as changing the 3d model a bit and tweaking the FM but all of that takes resources and may not be as easy as it seems.

So if it comes to having a D-15 as a stand-in or not having a bubbletop represented at all then I'll gladly take the stand-in even if it's not 100% accurate.

Everything is a compromise, you can't get everything in one go. Eventually it would be nice to see other variants added but it's not essential at this time.

Edited by Legioneod

6 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

Bf-109F-2 and F-4 are quite different though, primarily the different engines and different propeller leading to quite a difference in performance.

P-51D-5 and D-15 have very little difference between themselves in performance

And anyway, it's always possible more sub variants will appear in future modules, such as the P-51D-5 or early 38J, but I'm fine with the existing versions act as placeholders for the time being unless they have significantly better performance (see the Bf-109G6 having the late version coming in Normandy)

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 3:59 PM, BlackSix said:

If there wasn't big difference in the performance between D-5 and D-15 we don't need to do such restrictions for the AI planes. I'll discuss this question with VikS. 

BlackSix - is it possible you can do the same for the P-47D-25 and P-47D-28 in BoN? Again there is very little difference in performance between the two aircraft. It means we can fly Bubbletop P-47s some months earlier as far as I know!

• Like 2

I can’t give a final answer now, it will be decided next year. The first losses of D-28 modification occurred at the end of August 1944 in several squadrons, so we believe that they could have arrived in the first ten days of August.

9 hours ago, BlackSix said:

I can’t give a final answer now, it will be decided next year. The first losses of D-28 modification occurred at the end of August 1944 in several squadrons, so we believe that they could have arrived in the first ten days of August.

The D-25 performs exactly the same and Zemke was flying one during and before D-Day (from May)

56-zemke-7june44.jpg

56-zemke-31may44.jpg

Edited by Talon_
  • Thanks 1

I am honestly all in for D-28 in place of D-25 as I am for D-5 and D-15 Mustangs. There are some tings that can't be achieved as we don't have those models, but if the performance is the same, then I don't see any problem for the AI to fly those so we can fill the blanks.

Edited by LF_Gallahad

On 6/27/2020 at 7:21 PM, LF_Gallahad said:

I am honestly all in for D-28 in place of D-25 as I am for D-5 and D-15 Mustangs. There are some tings that can't be achieved as we don't have those models, but if the performance is the same, then I don't see any problem for the AI to fly those so we can fill the blanks.

It is already done with LaGGs in the eastern front models, so no problem there at all. We have the 1942 version which is also used as a stand in for the 1943 version in BoK.

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

You're free to fake planes as you want.

Just remember that modelling a variant of a plane we already have is easier than doing a brand new one.

A summary of my fought in a very easy way to understand:

Bf 109 G-6 -> G-14 and G-10 -> K-4

P-51 D-5 -> D-10 -> D-15 -> D-20 -> D-25

P-51 K

It gives you the feeling that they evolve like Pokemons. 

A very basic of WWII aviation history is that units with a mix of planes were far more common than units with a single model.

Devs are thinking about mixing aircrafts in a given unit to add more realism.

This is great !

But where is the realism when you fly an aircraft that is a "stand for" ?

And know the reply will be : "but all mustangs have the same performances, only the flight model counts."

Edited by Ptolemy_Soter

52 minutes ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

And know the reply will be : "but all mustangs have the same performances, only the flight model counts."

Exactly.

The main difference between the D-5 and the D-15 is the dorsal fin on the D-15 (which could be retrofitted to the D-5 anyway).

There's little to nag about in that regard...

It's not remotely comparable to having a K-4 stand in for a G-6.

Or a P-38J-25 stand in for an unmodded J-15.

5 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

The P-47D-25 and D-28 are basically identical except for a small increase in full throttle height

@Ptolemy_Soter you have to understand with the amount of time and resources it takes to make these planes, we will never have all the blocks done. You ask for mustang D-5 and D-10, i'm 90% we will never see it in game given their close similarity to the already made D-15. So your alternative is waiting for them to be done which may as well never happen.

6 hours ago, Ptolemy_Soter said:

You're free to fake planes as you want.

Just remember that modelling a variant of a plane we already have is easier than doing a brand new one.

A summary of my fought in a very easy way to understand:

Bf 109 G-6 -> G-14 and G-10 -> K-4

P-51 D-5 -> D-10 -> D-15 -> D-20 -> D-25

P-51 K

It gives you the feeling that they evolve like Pokemons. 

A very basic of WWII aviation history is that units with a mix of planes were far more common than units with a single model.

Devs are thinking about mixing aircrafts in a given unit to add more realism.

This is great !

Minor differences not affecting performance in a significant way are acceptable IMO. Why wouldn't they be? The planes we have in sim usually have one or two minor differences to the real-life aircraft they represent, because this is a game and not a museum.  Performance is more important because the sim is about simulating the combat of the time and the relative performance of the planes is critical to producing that.

If its a matter of having the ability to represent a D model P-51, or not having that ability, I feel it is more realistic for there to be an appropriate stand-in for the D model planes that were actually there, than to eschew having D-model P-51s at all. A P-51B is less representative of a P-51D-5 than a P-51D-15, so if a squadron was historically mixed the squadron is less realistic when the D models aren't represented.

• Upvote 1