Sign in to follow this  
Kataphrakt

VVS Engine lifespan?

Hello all,

I've seen it mentioned here before that the engine lifespan for VVS aircraft was not particularly great. Can anyone expand on that and provide sources for further reading? Additionally if anyone has some comparisons they can make to the lifespan of other countries' engines that'd be helpful to understand the durability of the VVS engines.

I read some books about Russian aviation. 
their engines was not worser than others in lifespan as I understood it. 
Klimov engines fitted in IL 2’s was pretty good and powerful. I believe the first flyable IL 2 now flying in US got one running but not in use since Allison engine is easier to maintenance and get parts. 

2 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Klimov engines fitted in IL 2’s was pretty good and powerful

IL-2s had Mikulin AM-38 engines. Klimov engines were installed on Yaks, LaGGs, Pe-2s.

2 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

I read some books about Russian aviation. 
their engines was not worser than others in lifespan as I understood it. 
Klimov engines fitted in IL 2’s was pretty good and powerful. I believe the first flyable IL 2 now flying in US got one running but not in use since Allison engine is easier to maintenance and get parts. 

Are you sure? IL-2 originally uses the more powerful Mikulin, not Klimov.

Source How to get the best flight data on a Yak plane with a VK-105PF engine,Military Publishing House of the
Ministry of Armed Forces of the USSR SSR Moscow 1947

"The VK-105PF motor is quite hardy and efficient. Its resource is 150 hours. During this long period, he is able to maintain his power. Suffice it to say that power measurements, which are usually carried out before and at the end of an hour-long machine test, in most cases do not reveal any changes in it.

However, the resource and motor data to a large extent depend on the quality of care and its operation on the ground and in the air.

Providing normal operating conditions allows the motor to process the resource set for it and save power.

Negligent consumption of the nominal mode, systematic overheating of water and oil, frequent spinning up of revolutions in excess of the maximum allowable, use of modes accompanied by shaking (for example, full gas at low revs), use of substandard fuel and oil, untimely oil change, taxiing in dust, failure to perform routine maintenance etc. - all this shortens the life of the motor and leads to premature wear. There have been many cases when, for this reason, the plane lost up to 20 km / h of speed.

"

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyDuck said:

Are you sure? IL-2 originally uses the more powerful Mikulin, not Klimov.

Sorry cant find the books. My memory might have failed me. I was sure they where klimovs

36 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

Source How to get the best flight data on a Yak plane with a VK-105PF engine,Military Publishing House of the
Ministry of Armed Forces of the USSR SSR Moscow 1947

"The VK-105PF motor is quite hardy and efficient. Its resource is 150 hours. During this long period, he is able to maintain his power. Suffice it to say that power measurements, which are usually carried out before and at the end of an hour-long machine test, in most cases do not reveal any changes in it.

However, the resource and motor data to a large extent depend on the quality of care and its operation on the ground and in the air.

Providing normal operating conditions allows the motor to process the resource set for it and save power.

Negligent consumption of the nominal mode, systematic overheating of water and oil, frequent spinning up of revolutions in excess of the maximum allowable, use of modes accompanied by shaking (for example, full gas at low revs), use of substandard fuel and oil, untimely oil change, taxiing in dust, failure to perform routine maintenance etc. - all this shortens the life of the motor and leads to premature wear. There have been many cases when, for this reason, the plane lost up to 20 km / h of speed.

"

In other words, just like any other contemporary aviation engine.

• Upvote 1

4 часа назад, Kataphrakt сказал:

Hello all,

I've seen it mentioned here before that the engine lifespan for VVS aircraft was not particularly great. Can anyone expand on that and provide sources for further reading? Additionally if anyone has some comparisons they can make to the lifespan of other countries' engines that'd be helpful to understand the durability of the VVS engines.

М-105 - 100...150

М-82 - 100

М-82Ф - 150

Мотор_4.png

Мотор_5.png

Мотор_6.png

• Like 1