Sign in to follow this  
Redwo1f

Overclocking and variable refresh range question

Just generally curious - I don't have a variable refresh monitor yet so please forgive my naivety, but wondering what the impact of overclocking refresh rate has on variable refresh (freesync/gsync). Does the adaptive range change at all as well (perhaps in scale relative to the overclock) or does it remain fixed regardless of overclocking?

I overclocked my monitor just weeks after i got it, back in 2010-2011, and it made a difference. Back then, Nvidia control panel didn't have the overclocking/custom resolution menu to make it easy to overclock, so i used a third party software and got my 60Hz monitor to run at 73Hz. 

It's still running at 73Hz ever since.

Overclocking the monitor, for Nvidia cards, is easy. Go to Nvidia control panel and click on "change Resolution". then click on "Customize":

refresh.thumb.png.e1de7098d250bd8041705ac0236587e5.png

Then in the next menu you click "create custom resolution" and you get to this menu:

custom.thumb.png.3fa3d841cf6a4f3f949618c00d798d14.png

Now all you have to do is to increase the refresh rate and then click on test the new resolution. don't change anything else on the page.

You keep doing that until the test fails. then go back two hertz and you got your stable resolution. You save it and then select it from the drop down menu and apply.

That's all.

Mine doesn't have variable refresh rate, so It's always at 73Hz. In the Vsync menu, in the control panel I select "Fast" and it works perfectly. The game runs at around 140 FPS but with no tearing, like when I run it with Vsync off.

Edited by Jaws2002

Yes thanks. I know about overclocking. I currently have a 60hz monitor that I was able to get up to 67hz (better than nothing, lol) - and yes I can get far beyond the 67 in fps - but the actual fps visually seen is up to the maximum refresh rate the monitor can display (so for me, even though I can get 132, 138, etc by fps indicator, it is still only truly 67 fps to the eye (in my case)). - and for me, best settings is actually Vsync on (in game setting) with Fast Vertical Sync turned on (driver setting) - and yes, run smooth with no tearing.

However, I am just interested in the impact/effects OC'ing a monitor has on the variable refresh rate. So for example, a person gets a 75hz monitor with freesync and is able to OC it to, say, 100hz. If the variable adaptive range is 40-75hz out of the box, will this adaptive range change (40-100hz)? Or does it still stay fixed regardless of any refresh rate overclock? Just curious. Wondering if anyone knows or has experience with it?

Edited by Redwo1f

8 hours ago, Redwo1f said:

However, I am just interested in the impact/effects OC'ing a monitor has on the variable refresh rate. So for example, a person gets a 75hz monitor with freesync and is able to OC it to, say, 100hz. If the variable adaptive range is 40-75hz out of the box, will this adaptive range change (40-100hz)? Or does it still stay fixed regardless of any refresh rate overclock? Just curious. Wondering if anyone knows or has experience with it?

no idea how it works on a freesync moninitor.

13 hours ago, Jaws2002 said:

I overclocked my monitor just weeks after i got it, back in 2010-2011, and it made a difference. Back then, Nvidia control panel didn't have the overclocking/custom resolution menu to make it easy to overclock, so i used a third party software and got my 60Hz monitor to run at 73Hz. 

Thanks for the instructions. I've got my 2560x1080 60hz monitor running at 75hz, according to NVidia control panel. That seems like a result too good to be true! Is there any downside to overclocking or any testing I should do? Or if it appears to work, it actually works?

Edit: Hmm, it looks like my monitor was frame skipping at 75hz, I backed it down to 72 and it's not skipping any more. Frame skip tool: https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

Edited by Alonzo
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Edit: Hmm, it looks like my monitor was frame skipping at 75hz, I backed it down to 72 and it's not skipping any more. Frame skip tool: https://www.testufo.com/frameskipping

I didn't even know about frame skipping. :lol:  Thank you!!!!

I tested it and it can only hold 67Hz without frame skipping. 

Mine was skipping frames for ten years.:lol:

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Like 1

Partly answering my own question. Through my own research, it appears that raising/overclocking the variable refresh top limit is very difficult and seems in many/most cases not possible (monitor and luck of the draw). However, lowering the minimum appears to be more successfully achieved (though again this isn't guaranteed and is monitor specific). Also I am seeing that there are potential issues if your system can consistently push much higher fps than the top/max limit of the adaptive variable refresh rate and you are running freesync (not sure if this is the case with gsync or not -- and again, this appears to be monitor specific but also quite common)...still looking into things...

Edit: And just to be clear, I am talking about the variable adaptive refresh rate and range of the monitor, not the standard refresh rate. 

As it stands right now, my idea of possibly obtaining a 75hz freesync monitor and overclocking it to get 90hz to maybe 100hz AND also be able to tweak up the max adaptive variable refresh from 75hz to also 90-100hz (in line with the overclock) does not look like it would be a pretty good bet at all. And if you can consistently run most games much higher than 75fps and also plan on using the freesync in this case, it may not be such a great idea.

Edited by Redwo1f