Kataphrakt

If you could have any prop aircraft...

Christ. Look at the size of that target!

battle.PNG

Also this: Two aircraft, K9270 and L5286, acted as flying testbeds for the Napier Sabre engine.[47] Modifications included the adoption of a fixed undercarriage, large ventral radiator, and an auxiliary intake. The two Sabre-equipped Battles accumulated roughly 700 flight hours.[47]

That'd be like sticking a supercharged V8 in a Reliant Robin....

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kataphrakt said:

Hello all,

I've got a fun question for you today: If you could have any propeller aircraft added to IL-2 real or fictional what aircraft would you pick? 

Alternative question: If you could take any propeller aircraft that made it past the prototype stages and make any kind of somewhat possible modifications to it, what would you do?

My answers: 

A) The XF-84H "Thunderscreech"

B) I would take the C-130 Hercules and shove so many M2 brownings into the front of it. you could probably shove like 20+ in there! It'd probably be pretty useless, but boy would it be fun.

Fairey Fulmar
image.thumb.jpeg.099c95ecf7f49309cff744713da5dfbc.jpeg

Short Type 184

image.jpeg.38bdade04ba05c3434af917e5d759304.jpeg

As for the other question unsure. But the Airco DH4 was an aircraft that I rather enjoyed in Rise of Flight. And imagine it would be cool to use as a torpedo bomber. So the Airco DH4 modified to use torpedos.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry69 said:

Fairey Battle

82174103-2801663949891907-64834697628724

Date: 19-MAY-1940
Time: 10:45 LT
Type:
Fairey Battle Mk I 
Owner/operator: 12 Squadron Royal Air Force (12 Sqn RAF)
C/n / msn:  
Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 3
Other fatalities: 0
Aircraft damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: Horn Wood in Ménil-Lépinois, North-East of Warmeriville, Ardennes - F.gif   France
Phase: Combat
Nature: Military
Departure airport: Echemines, France
Destination airport: Echemines, France

Narrative:
Fairey Battle Mk.I L5538 (PH-A) 12 Squadron, RAF: Written off (destroyed) when lost (failed to return) from combat operations on 19 May 1940. Of the three crew, one was unhurt, one was injured, and one died from injuries sustained. According to the official Air Ministry file on the incident (File AIR 81/434): "Battle L5538 crashed at Epernay, France, 19 May 1940. Sergeant B C Long, uninjured. Leading Aircraftman T O Burgess, injured. Pilot Officer J J McElligott, report of death from injuries". 

Fairey Battle L5538 was one of five aircraft from 12 Squadron airborne at 10:16 hours from Echemines to bomb targets at various locations (Operation "Hannogne"). Attacked by six Bf 109s from 4./JG 52 near St-Fergeux, Ardennes, 12 km West-North-West of Rethel, France, so the pilot decided to get rid of his bomb load, and return to his base, but crashed into a wood, possibly at Horn Wood in Ménil-Lépinois, North-East of Warmeriville, Ardennes, some distance from where the attack took place. Pilot Officer McElligott died from his wounds. LAC Burgess claims to have destroyed a Bf 109, despite serious wounds to his arms and legs. Two 12 Squadron Fairey Battles were lost in Operation "Hannogne" - L5538 and N2178 

Crew of Battle L5538:  
Pilot Officer (Pilot) James Joseph "Jimmy" McElligott, RAF 40630, aged 24, died of wounds/injuries sustained 19/05/1940, buried at Terlincthun British Cemetery, Wimille, Pas de Calais, France 
Sgt B.C.Long (Observer) - survived uninjured  
LAC V.C.Burgess (Wireless Op./Air Gunner) - Injured in the crash 

Source : https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/227546

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, danielprates said:

Funny how in this picture everything is being shot to pieces while the Fairey Battle cruises smoothly. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Did you notice the fate of the other Fairey Battle in the picture, he was not so lucky.;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

37 minutes ago, Missionbug said:

Did you notice the fate of the other Fairey Battle in the picture, he was not so lucky.;)

Oh yeah, now I see. There are two, one is buying the farm on the background.

Now if the other one of the two got shot down, that would more accurately depict the Battle's loss ratio!

12 hours ago, Legioneod said:

If it's ww2 only then I'd choose a P-47M for a fighter or a B-24 as a bomber (the true workhorse of the bombing campaign)

b-24-joisey-bounce.jpg

It's always amazing how fast those B-24's were churned out by Ford, one every hour! I grew up not far from the Willow Run plant.

12 hours ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Since this is a cfs. 
I want this, but it need logistics around it subs to hunt or forrest fire to fight or Recon mission.

00AC11EA-7815-499E-A038-39877422CC77.jpeg

Or maybe some ships to torpedo?

More on the Liberator:

Short video:

Long Video:

It does gloss over most of the teething issues the plant had, but still really cool. 

• Upvote 1

I'd be all over a P 40N.  It was the most produced version, yet I don't recall ever seeing one in a Sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Would love a 190 A9 and an IAR 80.

IAR80.jpg

And as a prototype aircraft I would love to fly the russian I225. Looks like a super Mig3 and has 4 nose mounted 20mm plus a turbocharger .

i225-1.jpg

• Upvote 3

A few others:

I'd really love a Macchi C. 200. It's unfortunate that we have the C.202 and not the C.200, given that 51 C. 200 and only 14 C. 202s saw service in Russia (and the 202's achieved no kills). Unlike the 202, the C. 200 was also used extensively as a fighter-bomber, which would make it the more versatile plane in game.

I second ME-BFMasserME262's call for a Storch. The Fw. 189 is a slightly higher priority for me, but I would buy either in a heartbeat.

I'd also love either a TB-3 or an Li-2 (A flyable C-47 will be close enough). It's great that we have the Ju-52, but AFAIK the Fallschirmjägers  conducted no jumps on the Eastern front, while the VDV did on multiple occasions... and yet somehow only the Germans get paratroopers in game?

Also, if we're going to dream about giant strategic bombers that will never be included, I'd love a Convair B-36H, just for the engine management.

Edited by Charon
B-36

4 hours ago, QB.Gregor- said:

Would love a 190 A9 and an IAR 80.

I don't know about the A9, but an IAR 80/81 would be a hoot. I admit to having some Luftwaffe fighter fatigue. So many 109s . . . Rosebud . . .

19 hours ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

First choice: P 40 N or XP-40Q-2 😍

Second choice : Tu 2 

Third Choice : A 26 

For a guy called INVADER_WARHAWK I should imagine the A26 would be the first choice, and the P40n the second!

1 hour ago, CSW_Rannisokol said:

B-24, for patrols over the Biscay Bay

ASW patrols are 8 hours of staring at ocean, with 10 minutes of fight between you and the uboat AA guns. Maybe. And if you're "lucky" you run into a Ju-88 looking for a fight.

That's a HARD PASS from me.

16 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I'd be all over a P 40N.  It was the most produced version, yet I don't recall ever seeing one in a Sim.

I hope we see a 1943 Sicily/Italy/Balkans Battle one day, and the P-40N will be the star of the ground pounders.

• Upvote 1

The N was also used to great effect in that role in New Guinea by, well, everyone who flew the thing over there.

1 minute ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The N was also used to great effect in that role in New Guinea by, well, everyone who flew the thing over there.

Man, give the guy a cookie and he wants the factory. PTO? Be happy with glide bombing  the Naples' rail hub in your P-40N.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, CSW_Rannisokol said:

B-24, for patrols over the Biscay Bay
image.png.64ca3afc068b4a88e01d6656fc01ae55.png

That would be just astonishing: A B-24 equipped with all the latest hot stuff: ASV Radar, Leigh light, rockets, depth charges, Mark 24 mine, the lot.

And added to that a Cat with MAD and retro rockets... I´m getting excited just by thinking of it. 😃

I'd just take anything equipped with one of these...

Tailhook.jpg

Edited by =[TIA]=Stoopy

Was thinking the same thing, Fruitbat. 👍

• Like 1

since the 410 is coming with Normandy and i don't have to wish for that i have to say He 177

Only one plane springs to mind, the glorious, elegant and deadly Boulton Paul Defiant.

24688596417_716f57a51d_b.thumb.jpg.de67cde244289a66db0c7270a3c56f0c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2020 at 4:54 AM, 6./ZG26_Klaus_Mann said:

image.png.0d5be6516584b99e1568002c806c5d97.png

image.png.42a13c9de03e49b0df363bf9bdde0905.png

but it's a glider....i mean being able to tow AI gliders would be cool for the normandy map 

I would like to see some Training Aircraft.

Like the STEARMAN and AT-6 for the Americans and a Bücker Jungmeister for the Germans.

And of course the Fieseler Storch. A ME-163 would be fun aswell

A PBY-Catalina.....so we could take off and land on the sea, would be great fun

Edited by spitfirejoe

Lancaster, Liberator and Halifax.

Shocking ommisions from a WW2 flight sim, particularly with Normandy now on sale.

On 1/17/2020 at 7:51 AM, Feathered_IV said:

I'd rather fancy the Storch too. 

fs_001_16x9.thumb.jpg.9670aad03c4b506fecb116a0fb61f2c0.jpg

sexy, versatile, thin and light...

Sounds like the wife of my dreams

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 11:57 PM, Gambit21 said:

I love the Zero, but would have to settle on a flying boat of some kind...probably an old Grumman.

Image result for grumman flying boat, reno air races

On 1/17/2020 at 12:32 AM, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Since this is a cfs. 
I want this, but it need logistics around it subs to hunt or forrest fire to fight or Recon mission.

00AC11EA-7815-499E-A038-39877422CC77.jpeg

Agree very much.  The Dev's went to a great deal of trouble to introduce RoF's water technology into the Kuban map.  It seems a pity not to have at least one seaplane to put it to good use.

I think the PBY would be the ideal candidate.

12 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Agree very much.  The Dev's went to a great deal of trouble to introduce RoF's water technology into the Kuban map.  It seems a pity not to have at least one seaplane to put it to good use.

Are the licensing/trademark issues resolved (there was a court case around this back in the Pacific Fighters days - it was ridiculous)? The other issue I've heard is that the gunner stations are very complex - requiring a lot of references and labour to model - so it could get expensive. However, I see the merit given its use in the pacific and in the east... it is a better choice than a Short Sunderland... Perhaps a more feasible interim choice would be the Arado Ar-196... which did see quite a bit of use on the Black Sea if I recall correctly...

But this thread is supposed to be the wishlist for things which aren't necessarily well justified... so I thought I'd present...

The Zeppelin-Lindau RS.III... a water-launched Zepplin replacement with good characteristics and plenty of documentation...

69-1.jpg

68-1.jpg66-2.jpg

• Like 1

I second the calls for a Fieseler Storch.

Pair it with a Piper L4--thje Piper Cub that went to war.

We need some low and slow that can get in and out of short fields,

do a bit of recon, and are just fun to fly.

l-4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Sopwith Snipe.  A very late war fighter to pair against the very late war Focker DVIIf.

49 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Are the licensing/trademark issues resolved (there was a court case around this back in the Pacific Fighters days - it was ridiculous)? The other issue I've heard is that the gunner stations are very complex - requiring a lot of references and labour to model - so it could get expensive. However, I see the merit given its use in the pacific and in the east... it is a better choice than a Short Sunderland... Perhaps a more feasible interim choice would be the Arado Ar-196... which did see quite a bit of use on the Black Sea if I recall correctly...

This licensing/trademark thing that still gets brought up is a complete non-issue.  It had nothing to do with the content of Pacific fighters but with Ubisoft's DVD box artwork - or more specifically wording.

In my opinion the PBY would be ideal as it was used in all theatres in WW2.  The Soviets used it and built their own licensed version too.  It's also a true multi-role aircraft.  Given that we have pretty comprehensive, crewed models of twin-engined bombers in game already,  I'm don't think it would present too many difficulties.  There are plenty of flying examples and museum pieces around for reference and the gun positions were not powered turrets either.  The mechanics to swing a gun into position already exist within the game.

Good torp carrier too😎

btw; like the zepplin-lindua:salute:

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, vonNutz said:

I second the calls for a Fieseler Storch.

Pair it with a Piper L4--thje Piper Cub that went to war.

We need some low and slow that can get in and out of short fields,

do a bit of recon, and are just fun to fly.

l-4.jpg

2 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

The Catalina is a very well known and researched plane too. The Aeroaoft version is one of my favorites study-level planes for FSX, BoX could do a work at least as good.