Sign in to follow this  
Charon

Please fix the VV-1's glass front sight post

Unlike the other Il-2 models, the model of 1943 features the mechanical VV-1 sight. The front sight post is incredibly vulnerable, and falls off if the front of the airplane takes any damage at all.

I have no doubt that at some point on the eastern front, some sturmovik pilot had their front sight post shot off. Lots of rounds were fired, and it's obviously not bulletproof. But I don't believe it was shot off nearly as frequently as happens in game. In the last two days (about 10 multiplayer sorties), I've seen it shot away three times! Twice in a single match!

But don't take my word for it. Fire up a quick mission with a Il-2 1943 against the German bomber of your choice. Close your radiators and just park yourself on his 6 to let the gunners work you over. The instant the engine cowling is hit and the bullet-hole decals are applied, the front sight post vanishes.

It's great if the game models damage to individual components like the front sight post, but if it's going to do so, we need a real hit-box for that component. Right now the effective hit-box for this tiny steel post is a fifth of the plane, and that turns what should be a rare occurrence into an everyday event.

Edited by Charon
typo

I have noticed this too.   The likelihood of the sight post being torn off if the plane takes damage is overly high, regardless of the section of the plane that takes damage.  There doesn't even seem to be an alternative "bent/half-broken/mangled" state (or two) for a damage model either.  It's either broken or in good repair, nothing else.  

Edited by Mobile_BBQ