Nake350

VR, what's the best way to check 6?

VR in this game has always been one of the best, but Its probably been mentioned before about the disadvantage constantly checking your six compared to the ease of a 180 degree snap view when playing on monitors. 

I wondered if anyone can share the latest tricks used for this, and if there's any hint of snap views been activated for VR by the devs? 

Like in jail, have a good mate. He watches your six, you watch his.

Joke aside, a Pimax headset will solve this problem you have. You may want to upgrade your Vive soon anyway, and that'll fit into the eco-system you already got. 👍

P.S. The software solutions we have to extend rotation by a mere 20° (that's a hard limit) with lefuneste's mod doesn't really suffice. Best is to fly in team or get a wide FOV (which was to me a dare last year, but I'm really happy with that decision as you can tell). 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Just die like in real life.

Just more often like in real life.

Edited by Gomoto

52 minutes ago, Nake350 said:

VR in this game has always been one of the best, but Its probably been mentioned before about the disadvantage constantly checking your six compared to the ease of a 180 degree snap view when playing on monitors. 

I wondered if anyone can share the latest tricks used for this, and if there's any hint of snap views been activated for VR by the devs? 

Same way they did in real life...

;)

• Thanks 1

I've noticed you reallly got to crank your torso around to check six in VR. Which is realistic...but man it's a workout. I might have to stretch before I sit in my Obutto.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Same way they did in real life...

;)

Just curious - are there any headsets that offer a similar peripheral vision that our natural eyesight does?

2 minutes ago, BroGrimm1tkcamp said:

Pimax has 200 deg, I run mine at 170 for good performance

That sounds pretty amazing - are you able to do so on one GPU?

Obviously looking round, but I was looking for something more technological like a snapview work around...

Im happy using the rear view mirror, but not many Russian planes on offer in MP games have them fitted. 

Like I said, playing on a monitor is as easy as hitting a key. 

PS recently moved to Rift S and sold the Vive.. Everything's so much clearer now! 

41 minutes ago, Nake350 said:

Obviously looking round, but I was looking for something more technological like a snapview work around...

Im happy using the rear view mirror, but not many Russian planes on offer in MP games have them fitted. 

Like I said, playing on a monitor is as easy as hitting a key. 

PS recently moved to Rift S and sold the Vive.. Everything's so much clearer now! 

:good:

Loving my Rift S!

1 hour ago, unlikely_spider said:

That sounds pretty amazing - are you able to do so on one GPU?

Yes, but you need a strong one, GTX1080ti is minimum imo.

The RiftS is unbeaten for its price. But with that monster-PC @dburne , you could run a Pimax 8KX easily. It's like the old discussion about what tires to use with powerful cars.

There are a lot of false numbers out there on the respective FOVs. People get different results depending on how deep their eyes sit, so here are some intervals for diagonal and horizontal.

Spoiler

Est Diagonal FOV

Pimax 190°-200°, Index 120°-130°, RiftS 100°-110°

Est Horizontal FOV

Pimax 160°-170°, Index 105°-115°, RiftS 85°-95°

Est Vertical FOV

Pimax 105°, Index 105°, RiftS 90°.

I've tested them in the SteamVR room for FOV testing. I didn't cheat, kept the feet right at the marker 😁

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Yes, but you need a strong one, GTX1080ti is minimum imo.

The RiftS is unbeaten for its price. But with that monster-PC @dburne , you could run a Pimax 8KX easily. It's like the old discussion about what tires to use with powerful cars.

There are a lot of false numbers out there on the respective FOVs. People get different results depending on how deep their eyes sit, so here are some intervals for diagonal and horizontal.

Reveal hidden contents

Est Diagonal FOV

Pimax 190°-200°, Index 120°-130°, RiftS 100°-110°

Est Horizontal FOV

Pimax 160°-170°, Index 105°-115°, RiftS 85°-95°

Est Vertical FOV

Pimax 105°, Index 105°, RiftS 90°.

I've tested them in the SteamVR room for FOV testing. I didn't cheat, kept the feet right at the marker 😁

Yeah I know but I am loving IL-2 in all it's graphics glory in VR and still getting great performance.

I reckon I don't miss what I have not seen lol.

The best way at the moment, according to me ( it does require a little practice), look as far back to one side as you comfortably can, then hit centre, when you now look forward your view will have changed to looking over your opposite shoulder, so checking six is easy.  Hit centre again, while still looking over this shoulder and when you look around your view will be the opposite rear side.  Look forward and centre view on the sight again when finished.

It takes a little getting used to, it's not perfect, but it does allow observation of your six without physically straining to turn around.  During a knife fight, keep your view centred on the sight, VR should allow for enough SA without juggling with manipulating views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

The best way at the moment, according to me ( it does require a little practice), look as far back to one side as you comfortably can, then hit centre, when you now look forward your view will have changed to looking over your opposite shoulder, so checking six is easy.  Hit centre again, while still looking over this shoulder and when you look around your view will be the opposite rear side.  Look forward and centre view on the sight again when finished.

It takes a little getting used to, it's not perfect, but it does allow observation of your six without physically straining to turn around.  During a knife fight, keep your view centred on the sight, VR should allow for enough SA without juggling with manipulating views.

That's genius! I'll give it a go, thank you! 

Situational Awareness is the key, and it is much easier to accomplish in VR than on a monitor.

If you let them get on your six you have already lost half the battle.

On my last mission today in my PWCG Spit Mk IX  Career, I managed to take out 8 FW-190's and still had plenty of machine gun ammo left.

My wingmen took care of keeping some of them occupied while I picked them off one by one. I never let one get on my six and they did try.

Granted this was an unusual one as I normally do not get that many air kills in a mission. Everything just came together nicely.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nake350 said:

I've found a fixed chair (part of a dedicated flight sim rig, but fixed as opposed to swivel) actually helps me, as I can hang onto an arm and crank myself around. I then use Lefuneste's excellent 3D Migoto mod and add an extra 15 degrees of rotation. It's not perfect but it's pretty good.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Gomoto said:

Just die like in real life.

Just more often like in real life.

Yes, die more often. Like in Real life🤔
Just kidding!

Edited by Winger
  • Haha 1

mirrors are your friend.

also occasionally turn your plane right and left to check your six.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I agree with the idea of a rear snap view

I have a neck injury that's killing me playing this game

Suggestions include a VR view of the mirror expanded to full screen  (or virtual mirror for planes w/o mirror)

or

an actual snap view fixed in fov

or

anything that does not require such a twisting of my neck

bob

Edited by JG51_jokkr

I have setup a flyby view on my Hotas and I can check my six with a quick thumb movement, works just fine.

No twisting and no turning.

Swivel chair + Pimax combo works great

Edited by ziher
  • Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:06 PM, HagarTheHorrible said:

thats actually a VERY good suggestion... Wonder why i didnt get this idea.
THANKS. Ill try that!