Jump to content
jokash

Does IL2 feature adverse weather that is difficulty to fly in?

Recommended Posts

Yes, when the weather is overcast, clouds start at around 800m with really low visibility and high turbulence. In my experience, it's impossible to fly IFR in the clouds when the plane lacks some basic intruments such as vertical speed indicator.

Edited by SCG_Gustav_Hagel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, there is turbulence and wind, but only in scripted missions AFAIK.

 

There are no storms, but you can make it rain and snow.

 

 

Edited by Jaegermeister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately server admins do not take advantage of these features anywhere near enough in the mp environment imho. The sim is capable of hugely adverse weather but we don't see it anywhere near frequently enough to represent realistic tactical air war conditions. 

 

Just blue skies and a cloudbase at 3k.zzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

There are no storms, but you can make it rain and snow.

 

It is a pity, IMHO, that this isn´t implemented in the SP careers yet. That would add greatly to the overall athmosphere.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sevenless said:

It is a pity, IMHO, that this isn´t implemented in the SP careers yet.

 

Yes, it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [_FLAPS_]Diggun said:

Unfortunately server admins do not take advantage of these features anywhere near enough in the mp environment imho. The sim is capable of hugely adverse weather but we don't see it anywhere near frequently enough to represent realistic tactical air war conditions. 

 

Just blue skies and a cloudbase at 3k.zzzzzzzzzzzz

And on the rare occasion we have bad weather a bunch of people scream to high heaven. Some of the best fun I had in the sim was flying around in the rain with a 1000m cloud base on TAW, trying not to get inverted in the clouds and die.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

And on the rare occasion we have bad weather a bunch of people scream to high heaven. Some of the best fun I had in the sim was flying around in the rain with a 1000m cloud base on TAW, trying not to get inverted in the clouds and die.

 

Agreed. A month back or so I was flying on TAW and the cloud base was at about 900 meters and there was heavy fog. Navigation was even more challenging than usual and we got into a low altitude very tight dogfight with some Bf109s that would otherwise not have happened. Was a great time :)

 

Too many people cry foul in anything other than nice clear conditions.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with just haze people cry. People draw the line for realism differently I guess. I don’t know why you would want things to be realistic like no gps, go through the effort to make it so players have to taxi by placing objects around to make it difficult to just gun the throttle to take off but feel immersed flying everyday flying the same weather and time of day.  

The rain and weather effects are one of the sims strong points and it is a bummer it gets swept aside

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen overcast weather in a campaign yet, but occasionally you'll encounter a windy day that is somewhat challenging (At least for me) to fight in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SCG_Gustav_Hagel said:

Yes, when the weather is overcast, clouds start at around 800m with really low visibility and high turbulence. In my experience, it's impossible to fly IFR in the clouds when the plane lacks some basic intruments such as vertical speed indicator.

 

Sounds like you need some "partial panel" practice. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suggested in C BOX to add wind and turbulence now and then, and many people complained saying no, and asking why did I wanted it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard there is an Me-110 career period that features bad weather.  However I have never seen anything except fine to average in the careers that I’ve personally flown.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game supports it.  Winds in layers, turbulence, precipitation, it's all there.  Now it depends on how much mission makers want to use it.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

I heard there is an Me-110 career period that features bad weather.  However I have never seen anything except fine to average in the careers that I’ve personally flown.  

The first mission is with low hanging clouds and rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

the finnish virtual pilots server features some pretty "bad" weather conditions at times. Also varying time of day (dusk / dawn).
for the most part the weather is pretty good tho. But always enjoyable joining and seeing it rain or being morning/evening. the lighting is just beautiful at that times and i tend to become a tourist just looking out the window :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the Eastern front and western Europe between autumn and spring are both famous for the continually perfect weather conditions... 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

I suggested in C BOX to add wind and turbulence now and then, and many people complained saying no, and asking why did I wanted it.

 

 

There is wind and turbulence on a bunch of maps in Combat Box though. Not super heavy but its there. I flew through some turbulence last night on climbout ( I think it was on the Battle of the Scheldt mission?). 

There's also a couple missions with morning or evening flying, which is really cool.

 

But no brutal weather sadly. I think if they did that there would be a revolt...but I would fly the **** out of it. Its just too cool to climb through 100% overcast in the rain , fly through the dark for a bit, and then burst out into the open sky above it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, PatrickAWlson said:

The game supports it.  Winds in layers, turbulence, precipitation, it's all there.  Now it depends on how much mission makers want to use it.

 

In career mode there sure is rain and snow, specially so in Moscow career during the appropriate period. Not only that, below the clouds there are distinct shaking effects, proper of turbulence, however I can't tell if its just a cosmetic effect like a head shake, or if the airplane is indeed being physically tossed around by the turbulence. During the final moments of a landing, where you have the ground as a reference regarding your displacement due to turbulence, I have never seen anything to confirm that the shakes are anything but a cosmetic effect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danielprates said:

 

In career mode there sure is rain and snow, specially so in Moscow career during the appropriate period. Not only that, below the clouds there are distinct shaking effects, proper of turbulence, however I can't tell if its just a cosmetic effect like a head shake, or if the airplane is indeed being physically tossed around by the turbulence. During the final moments of a landing, where you have the ground as a reference regarding your displacement due to turbulence, I have never seen anything to confirm that the shakes are anything but a cosmetic effect. 

When I notice turbulence, its usually because the cockpit is moving and the ball on the TBI is jumping around. For a few minutes the first time I saw it I thought there was something wrong with my rudder pedals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RedKestrel said:

When I notice turbulence, its usually because the cockpit is moving and the ball on the TBI is jumping around. For a few minutes the first time I saw it I thought there was something wrong with my rudder pedals.

 

Hmm... if the ball is jumping, then in theory you are indeed being tossed around. So mistery solved, there is  turbulence.  Even in career mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Combat box has wind and turbulance on most of the map in some ways.
some of the winds can be rather strong (will make planes ground loop easily)
Can also feel it flying on course and being pushed it climbing into a headwind and getting great performance.

But only SP
wait wait WHAT!? 

So the Campaigns and Careers you buy for a lot of $$
Do not have fully Detailed Weather with Realistic Air pressures based on Temp and time of year or even Historical Data?
and Properly Varying Weather patterns carefully crafted so they match up with previuos flight or day if needed?
Lucky i did not buy any :O 

start a quick mission 
Set wind to Max.
Turbulance to Max. 
Try that. 

 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that adverse weather can be challenging and fun to fly in, definitely. I would question how realistic it would be to have it cropping up in career mode too often though. I mean, they tended to cancel flights back then when the weather was bad. I'm sure there were occasions when they decided the potential benefits outweighed the risk to man and machinery, but from what I've read it doesn't seem like that happened too often.

 

With that said, I think there probably are too many completely clear days in career mode. If BoX is to be believed then midwinter in Moscow is a gloriously sunny and cloudless time of year for the most part. It seems that when people say that the weather played a big part in the failure of the German offensive, they mean that the troops were too busy basking in the sun to bother fighting the Russians.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, jokash said:

severe storms

I have not seen any in career mode; complex weather neither for that matter (heavy clouds, convective clouds, multiple layers - though these apparently exist in the sim, not really in career). Career mode is pretty much severe VMC flying 😎 at the moment.

 

In QMB you can set overcast with minimum cloud base and that is as bad as you can get in terms of adverse weather. Only be aware that the overcast layer is fairly thin.

 

However, still loads of fun to fight over the deck and deadly dipping below 😮

Edited by apollon01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tnx everybody for replies, was thinking about buying the Ju-52 and wondering what the challenges in the transport career would be (weather among other)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

Even with just haze people cry. People draw the line for realism differently I guess. I don’t know why you would want things to be realistic like no gps, go through the effort to make it so players have to taxi by placing objects around to make it difficult to just gun the throttle to take off but feel immersed flying everyday flying the same weather and time of day.  

The rain and weather effects are one of the sims strong points and it is a bummer it gets swept aside

 

My theory is that people don't want to change their tactics. A layer of clouds means attackers and bombers can hide from high altitude planes, and the guys who usually orbit at 8km looking for people to dive on suddenly have to come fight down low

  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

My theory is that people don't want to change their tactics. A layer of clouds means attackers and bombers can hide from high altitude planes, and the guys who usually orbit at 8km looking for people to dive on suddenly have to come fight down low

I suspect that’s the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

somethingsomethingeventheplayingfieldfortherussianssomethingsomething

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goffik said:

With that said, I think there probably are too many completely clear days in career mode. If BoX is to be believed then midwinter in Moscow is a gloriously sunny and cloudless time of year for the most part. It seems that when people say that the weather played a big part in the failure of the German offensive, they mean that the troops were too busy basking in the sun to bother fighting the Russians.

Well the Soviets did differentiate between Summer Germans and Winter Germans so maybe the Winter Germans were the ones on holidays soaking up the glorious Winter Sun.

 

As a side note, in neighboring Finland, mid Winter and late, you get some glorious sunny days with little cloud.  I would assume it would be similar East of the border.  Doesn't mean that it isn't cold and clear Winter nights can be really cold but, when you have daylight - it is gorgeous.

 

I think for the Germans the issues were more pertaining to gear and vehicle preparation for the Russian Winter which left them cold and stuck as their vehicles froze up.

 

Crap weather - usually, you'd be grounded as ops would have been in effective and loss of aircraft high.  Sort of like now days with the F35 which can only fly in fair weather 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess bad weather is modelled in the career with the days without sorties.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, blitze said:

fly in fair weather 😉

And slowly! Otherwise the paint comes off... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, danielprates said:

 

Hmm... if the ball is jumping, then in theory you are indeed being tossed around. So mistery solved, there is  turbulence.  Even in career mode.

 

The turbulence is really modeled.  You are being tossed.  How much depends on the turbulence setting for that particular weather band.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

My theory is that people don't want to change their tactics. A layer of clouds means attackers and bombers can hide from high altitude planes, and the guys who usually orbit at 8km looking for people to dive on suddenly have to come fight down low

Pretty much my (short) experience in MP. If i sortied and flew above the clouds i'd get shot down every time by a 109. If i flew below the clouds i'd never see a single German aircraft. 🤔 Guess the entire Luftwaffle had to suspend flight operations whenever there were clouds 🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Goffik said:

I mean, they tended to cancel flights back then when the weather was bad. I'm sure there were occasions when they decided the potential benefits outweighed the risk to man and machinery, but from what I've read it doesn't seem like that happened too often.

 

With that said, I think there probably are too many completely clear days in career mode. ...

 

October through December 1944 over the Belgian and German front (as in BoBp career) was frequently low cloud cover overcast, or solid clouds that were literally in the treetops. I have read multiple accounts of missions that were sent off, climbing through low clouds and had to look for holes in the clouds near the target area to get down to ground level without running into trees, hills or slag piles. It was also common enough to take off and have the weather close in over your airfield before you got home 3 hours later. I believe marginal or bad weather was much more common than good weather and the USAAF did fly in it frequently. I know of one incident where a couple of planes collided with each other climbing through the overcast and killed 2 pilots, so that group cancelled their operations for that day. Another group flew the mission, got through and knocked out German vehicles in the Ardennes, and was commended for it.

 

There are some great weather effects modeled in the game. Unfortunately it is the same for the entire map and all of the overcast options are solid with no breaks in them. 

 

Just FYI, the thickness, height and other features can be changed in the ME, clouds are not at set altitudes. The multiple cloud layers are only a certain distance apart with a thin cloud layer above a slightly thicker one. It is not solid overcast, just heavy clouds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the information available to us on the weather in France/Belgium/The Netherlands for BoBp, we could probably have historical weather on a day by day/airfield by airfield basis if someone wanted to dig into the archives and do some research :)

Edited by cardboard_killer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...