RedKestrel

Freeze on Startup - Loading Screen

I have encountered a problem where sometimes the game freezes on the first loading screen. It locks up, and while I can alt-tab to other programs, I cannot return to the desktop or use the Task Manager to force the game to close, and I am forced to restart my computer.

It doesn't happen all the time, and only started happening this week when I went to play. It has never happened to me flying before on the same version of the software.

How it happens:

I set up my head tracking software (EDTracker and OpenTrack) and launch Discord.

I launch the game from the launcher.

The first loading screen comes up, with the Il -2 sturmovik Title, black background, and thin red bar at the bottom. Normally, the loading bar fills full and then another identical looking loading screen comes up, with background noise, and the bar fills again. Then it gets to the login screen. If I get here I have no trouble launching the game.

When the problem occurs, the bar on the first loading screen stops at some point between halfway and nearly complete. the other loading screen never comes, and the program just hangs at this point. The loading screen stays even if I try to tab to the desktop, though I can tab to other programs.

I think it may be that the game hangs when the focus of the computer goes from Il-2 to one of the other programs I have running, but I am not sure as it only happens occasionally.

Does anyone else have this issue? Particularly people who use Discord or have Nvidia cards, I have a feeling it is either Discord or the Nvidia experience software.

Try to start the game from the IL2.exe located in (wherever it´s located) ......\common\IL2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game directory and see if that helps. You only need the launcher for updating your game. If it works make a shortcut to your desktop for conviniese. (Hope this helps)

Edited by FlyingH
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FlyingH said:

Try to start the game from the IL2.exe located in (wherever it´s located) ......\common\IL2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game directory and see if that helps. You only need the launcher for updating your game. If it works make a shortcut to your desktop for conviniese. (Hope this helps)

I will try that. I was flying last night with no problems but I didn't get on Discord, so its possible that is still an issue.

This happened to me today, exactly as RedKestrel describes, except that it happened to me every time, not just some times.   I am also a Discord and GeForce Experience user.   Curiously, I let GeForce Exeperience update itself and install the latest nVidia driver for my GTX 1080 card this morning. 

Long story short, I did manage to solve the problem, but it required a re-install of the game.  Here are my troubleshooting steps.  After each step below, I launched the program, but was forced to do a CTL-ALT-DELETE Restart to get out of the locked-up condition:

- Restart computer

- Try clicking directly on il2.exe in installation game folder, run as adminstrator

- Uninstall GeForce Experience

- Rollback latest nVidia driver

- try running restart.exe from game installation folder (I couldn't find any info on what the function of this exe is, but it did start the game)

- Run CCLeaner and perform Registry cleaning

- Rename original installation folder, rerun game installation to re-download and install game    (This worked, but I lost all my settings)

In an attempt to recover my settings, I renamed the data folder to SAVE_data, and copied the data folder from the old installation to the new installation - but then the problem was back. So I deleted the data folder and renamed the saved data folder back to its original name, and the problem was gone.

Long story short, it seemed to be a corruption of something in the data folder.  This folder his huge, with more than 11,000 files in it.  I don't know how to narrow the problem down any further than that.  

Hope this info helps someone. 

Edited by oboe
  • Upvote 1

exactly discribed as above from RedKestrel happens to me too. But only on my 43" TV. I always have to start multiple times before il2 starts up normal.  if i switch to my 27" Monitor as main Monitor/Device  - il2 always lunches perfect.