Sign in to follow this  
ironk79

Frequent and heavy dips linked to airfields?

I encountered this issue while building a mission in ME. With my rig i was wondering why flying sometimes felt choppy, despite having 90fps shown in the counter.

I have a CV1, run Open composite, GPU and CPU have a slight OC. I checked with OTT performance graph and stumbled over a heavy dip, maybe every 800ms, when standing in the parking area on runway of any airfield. I couldnt remember to have seen this before, switched all my OC back to stock, checked for processes that could cause this, nothing - rechecked and still got these frequent heavy dips.

When in air (QMB f.e.) there are no dips, when close to an airfield and landing the dips reoccur. First with higher frequency, the closer i get to the airfield, the lower it gets.

Does anyone witness something similar?

I'm getting something similar. I'm not using VR though, no OC. When starting up the engine, if I start looking around, the FPS starts dropping, for some of the directions I look at. 

As soon as I take off, everything goes back to normal. Stable FPS. This happens both in S/MP.

To me it seems it might be related to some of the airfield buildings.

Edited by Raven109

I think it's purely relative to the amount of processing that happens on airfields and suchlike. There's an awful lot of moving stuff around, like grass and trees and things like that. Quite intensive for the GPU. No VR for me either but you definitely notice the (slight) issues even so.

Edited by Raptorattacker

Interesting as I always find the airfields quite barren and desolate.

Maybe that is a good thing.

VR here, I notice the same thing when in the landing pattern, FPS dips below 45 fps which induces stutter  with ASW on(Rift 1). However, I only see this in career mode, not QMB. I think it is tied to the large number of AI units. If you use icons, you will see there are always a lot of ground AI units around the airfield which I presume are the AA guns. Those are not there in QMBs.

55 minutes ago, Sgt_Joch said:

VR here, I notice the same thing when in the landing pattern, FPS dips below 45 fps which induces stutter  with ASW on(Rift 1). However, I only see this in career mode, not QMB. I think it is tied to the large number of AI units. If you use icons, you will see there are always a lot of ground AI units around the airfield which I presume are the AA guns. Those are not there in QMBs.

Not really seeing those dips myself in Career, I have a pretty beefy rig though.

2 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

But that’s the thing, there isn’t much or any AI on the airfields when you start from runway in QMB, the dips are still there, even just standing with the engine off. Almost seems like dips are somehow related to rpm or speed of the aircraft (driving physics?!?)

Did some more testing, its the grass. Normal and Distant settings dont have the described effect. If set to ultra, the dips occur.