Sign in to follow this  
jcomm-il2

Is it possible to revert to the old target vis mode?

… and get free from all of the stuttering we now experience?

If yes, where in the menus can we do it ?

I do not believe the stuttering is directly bound to the new spotting system. 

The reason for this conclusion is that in SP,  there is little to no stuttering at all. (none that I can notice, at least) It is to me clearly self-evident that stuttering is a problem which affects only multiplayer games. It therefore cannot be logically concluded that reverting to the old spotting system would have any effect whatsoever on the issue at hand.

It is my opinion that the spotting changes and the onset of MP stuttering are more coincidental than in any direct cause/effect relationship. That is to say: Having come about more or less at the same time does not imply one is somehow a factor in causing the other.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSr4ufHUUeD3jNCpDAS6P

Most servers are not using the new spotting mode (much to my chagrin). I don't think that has anything to do with stutter issues.

@ShamrockOneFive Visibility changed regardless of having Alternate Vis on or off. 
I do notice MP feeling more stuttery than SP which feels very smooth. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Most servers are not using the new spotting mode (much to my chagrin). I don't think that has anything to do with stutter issues.

Well, technically both modes are new modes. But most servers aren’t using alt visibility because of issues with scaling at distance. In fact I really think the only difference between the two modes is the scaling of contacts at range.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RedKestrel said:

Well, technically both modes are new modes. But most servers aren’t using alt visibility because of issues with scaling at distance. In fact I really think the only difference between the two modes is the scaling of contacts at range.

Fair. The mode they are using is more like the old one except I think it may even be worse as contrast against the sky on an aircraft that I know to be there is extremely poor.

I'd rather the ever so slightly messed up scaling personally as spotting has become problematic.

I was on combat box the other night with 4 teammates. We attacked bridges with lots of AA guns around. I was in VR and the stuttering was so bad I got quite ill after it was over. I have a i7 6700k and 1080ti so my pc is not too slow.

Its such a beautiful game but the stuttering is so bad it murders the experience.☹️

• Upvote 1

S! 

I have no stutters online, at least on Finnish Virtualpilots. Overall very smooth. Could it be that if the tick rate on server is on higher side the stutters occurs? It i  related to amount of AI and objects in the mission. 

7 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Fair. The mode they are using is more like the old one except I think it may even be worse as contrast against the sky on an aircraft that I know to be there is extremely poor.

I'd rather the ever so slightly messed up scaling personally as spotting has become problematic.

I wouldn't call the scaling messed up per se -  It was just very exaggerated,  enough that it improved aircraft visibility such that it masked the underlying issues with the system that we are still dealing with in normal visibility. We know this, because the only difference between alt and normal is the amount of scaling, as per the patch notes of 3.201b:

"7. Airplanes long-range visibility algorythm was corrected to minimize plane size amplification effect;". (emphasis mine). 

They had been working on improved visibility for a couple months at least by the time it launched, and we saw the changes between launch of new visibility to normal visibility happen in 3 days, and then were given the option to have both systems only 1 day later. So its clear that nothing fundamental was changed as there wouldn't have been time to do it. 

When I was flying on alt visibility on Combat Box, I encountered the disappearing plane bug, lost contacts against the ground due to poor contrast, and lost contacts against the sky and clouds at short to medium range. The issues are common to both systems, its just that the scaling mitigates the problem to the point where its harder to notice. Its these issues that really need to be addressed, and the bonus will be that regardless of the system people like to fly in, it will apply to both.

Improved contrast, reflection modeling and bug fixes for disappearing planes and such  would probably get us very, very close to what almost everyone really wants. And that seems to be the direction things are moving, which is good. 

As far as reverting to 'old spotting' as the OP asks - its been stated by Petrovich in the Russian forums that it is not possible to do it. Whatever changes they made are too tied in to everything to just undo (heck, they're probably tied into AI, which would be a nightmare to untangle with the work they're doing there).

• Like 1

How much of a job is it to change the engine to a more modern one that utilizes more cores on the pc..... Surely that will improve performance as well as most of the problems we are experiencing? I am under the impression the game only uses 1 core? I am sure it's a large job but surely worth it? 

Edited by =EXPEND=Dendro