III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson

190A5 vs 190A6 differences

Same MG as the A5, but better cannons in the outer wings.

Primary difference is the redesigned wing that makes the aircraft more versatile.

I thought the A6 was actually closer to the A8 than the A5.  The wing rework I believe carried through to the A8.  As stated by Cujo, the Mgs are still the smaller ones.

Redesigned wing means you can carry a wider variety of guns and munitions, similar to the A-8 but less overweight

They tested the Mk-103 on it? A very rare loadout... but several aircraft combat tested if the information I read is correct...

With lighter wing redesign will it have less wing loading that A3/A5? What about power. I see it is the 801D-2 still. Any nice engine mods such as MW50 or boost override? Wasn't the 801D-2 cleared for 1.42ata for unlimited by this time?

19 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

They tested the Mk-103 on it? A very rare loadout... but several aircraft combat tested if the information I read is correct...

For the A6/R3 with Mk-103 Gondola under wings, I've only one aircraft (RG + ZA) used by the I./SG 151 for his anti-tank capability.

Fw 190 A-6 Standard fighter/fighter bomber. MG 151/20s in place of MG FFs.
Fw 190 A-6/R1 "Pulkzerostoerer" - heavy bomber interceptor. Two gondolas with 2xMG151/20 each (for a total of 6).
Fw 190 A-6/R2 "Pulkzerostoerer" - heavy bomber interceptor. Two wing mounted MK108s.
Fw 190 A-6/R3 Anti-armor version. Two MK 103s under wings.
Fw 190 A-6/R4 High alt GM-1 boost installed.
Fw 190 A-6/R6 "Pulkzerostoerer" - heavy bomber interceptor. Two Wfr.Gr.21 mortars.
Fw 190 A-6/R11 Night fighter with FuG-217 "Neptune" radar.
Fw 190 A-6/U3 Ground attack version.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CrazyDuck said:
Fw 190 A-6 Standard fighter/fighter bomber. MG 151/20s in place of MG FFs.
Fw 190 A-6/R1 "Pulkzerostoerer" - heavy bomber interceptor. Two gondolas with 2xMG151/20 each (for a total of 6).
Fw 190 A-6/R2 "Pulkzerostoerer" - heavy bomber interceptor. Two wing mounted MK108s.
Fw 190 A-6/R3 Anti-armor version. Two MK 103s under wings.
Fw 190 A-6/R4 High alt GM-1 boost installed.
Fw 190 A-6/R6 "Pulkzerostoerer" - heavy bomber interceptor. Two Wfr.Gr.21 mortars.
Fw 190 A-6/R11 Night fighter with FuG-217 "Neptune" radar.
Fw 190 A-6/U3 Ground attack version.

Ill take one of each please

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Notclear said:

For the A6/R3 with Mk-103 Gondola under wings, I've only one aircraft (RG + ZA) used by the I./SG 151 for his anti-tank capability.

And was as useless as a freezer at the North Pole. The wing wasn't strong enough to take the recoil of the cannon.

The Fw 190 A-6 was developed to address shortcomings found in previous "A" models when attacking U.S. heavy bombers. Modifications of the type to date had caused the weight of the aircraft to creep up. To combat this and to allow better weapons to be installed in the wings, a structurally redesigned lighter, stronger wing was introduced. The normal wing armament was increased to four 20 mm MG 151/20E wing root and outer wing cannon with larger ammunition boxes while retaining the two MG 17 fuselage machine guns. New electrical sockets and reinforced weapon mounts were fitted internally in the wings to allow the installation of either 20 mm or 30 mm (1.18 in) ammunition boxes as well as for underwing armament. Because the outer wing MG 151s were mounted lower than the MG/FFs, new, larger hatches incorporating bulges and cartridge discharge chutes, were incorporated into the wing lower surfaces. It is believed the fuselage MG 17s were kept because their tracer rounds served as a targeting aid for the pilots. A new FuG 16 ZE radio navigation system was fitted in conjunction with a FuG 10 ZY. A loop aerial for radio navigation, mounted on a small "teardrop" base was fitted under the rear fuselage, offset slightly to port, with an additional short "whip" aerial aft of this. These aerials were fitted on all later Fw 190 variants.

The A-6 was outfitted in numerous ways with various sets, Rüstsätze (field modification kits); more flexible than the factory upgrade kits for previous versions, these field upgrade kits allowed the A-6 to be refitted in the field as missions demanded. At least 963 A-6s were built from July 1943 ending in April 1944, according to Ministry of Aviation acceptance reports and Focke-Wulf production books. In late 1943, the Erla Maschinenwerke's Antwerp factory designed a simpler rack/drop-tank fitting, which was more streamlined than the bulky ETC 501 and could be quickly fitted or removed. Several A-6s, A-7s and A-8s of JG 26 were fitted with these racks (one such aircraft was A-8 W.Nr.170346 Black 13 flown by Obstlt. Josef Priller during the Normandy invasion on 6 June 1944.)

1 hour ago, MiloMorai said:

And was as useless as a freezer at the North Pole. The wing wasn't strong enough to take the recoil of the cannon.

I don't know about you - but taking the gun with the best ballistics in-game (truly exceptional performance)... and then mounting it in such a way where the performance is ruined by flexing and dispersion sounds incredibly enjoyable to me.

As for freezers - in the high arctic it does go above zero, and there can be insect blooms... so... breadbox. It can also act as an insulator if turned off (keeping the contents from freezing too much)... there is a popular Russian joke about this.

• Haha 1

It's weird but when the original IL-2 series added the Fw190A-6, I ended up turning that version into my favourite Anton series Fw190 for the reason that it was a halfway point between the A-5 and the A-8. With the firepower advantages of the A-8's four MG151/20 and the lighter weight of the FW190A-5 it became my favourite to fly most of the time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

It's weird but when the original IL-2 series added the Fw190A-6, I ended up turning that version into my favourite Anton series Fw190 for the reason that it was a halfway point between the A-5 and the A-8. With the firepower advantages of the A-8's four MG151/20 and the lighter weight of the FW190A-5 it became my favourite to fly most of the time.

Is it faster than the A8? A5? Does it have any boost features?

6 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Is it faster than the A8? A5? Does it have any boost features?

It will be interesting to see. Early versions would have a5ish engine settings, later fighter versions could have erhohte notleistung (boost).  Of course at this point jabos would be cleared for c3 injection. I am not sure if the outboard mg151s Are optional but if that’s the case and we receive erhohte notleistung (which I believe by Normandy was cleared) it could be the fastest Anton we will see if we don’t get an a9. 

Hopefully what we get is a little more than an a5 with a8 wings.

Edited by Hajo_Garlic
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, III./JG7-MarkWilhelmsson said:

I've read a little bit about the idea that 1.42ata was likely cleared for 30 minutes as combat power in BMW 801D-2 after early 1944. Is this truth or is someone spreading BS?

I’m unsure, but I have never heard that. Reading about the 801 is tricky because there’s a lot of inaccurate info out there, people mix up the c3 injection (Mostly if not exclusively used by jabos, increased power and due consumption below 1.5ish km) and boost, some claim that 190a’s had mw50 injection, etc.

Im guessing the a6 will be similar to our a5, if there’s a jabo mod it will have c3 injection, if not it will be 1.42 ata and may be faster at altitude and slower than the a8 on the deck, but this is just speculation.

All 190a’s feel and fight similar to me, the difference isn’t as dramatic as it is in 109s to me. 

I just hope we get some of the fun toys like the mk103 pods or the rare external air intakes that increased power at high alt that were used around the Normandy time frame and not just an a5 with a8 wings and br21s. 

1 hour ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

All 190a’s feel and fight similar to me, the difference isn’t as dramatic as it is in 109s to me.

The A8 feels completely different than the A3 and A5. It feels definitely heavier and quite nervous around the longitudinal axis.

1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

The A8 feels completely different than the A3 and A5. It feels definitely heavier and quite nervous around the longitudinal axis.

I agree but the difference to me is far less than say our e7 to f4 or g6 or k4

if you stay light on fuel, the a8 can be thrown around pretty good with boost on

Edited by Hajo_Garlic

5 hours ago, Hajo_Garlic said:

I agree but the difference to me is far less than say our e7 to f4 or g6 or k4

if you stay light on fuel, the a8 can be thrown around pretty good with boost on

If you compare an E7 with a F4 or later version, you need to compare an Anton version with the Dora. The Friedrichs of the 109 didn't have that much to do with the Emily anymore. The differences are much larger than between a Friedrich and a Gustav. The differences between a Friedrich and a Gustav are not larger than between the 190 Anton's.

Currently the G-8 JaBo-Rei without Center ETC is probably my favourite 190. It's lighter than the Fighter Version with only very little added Drag and a very useful Bombload, while the Higher Ground Power Rating makes it faster than an A-8, better Climbing  and with the reduced Weight in the Wings she becomes an absolute Charm to Fight Close in.

So I'm really looking forward to the G-3 Variant of the A-6, and the Insanity of 6xMG151 or Torpedo Carrying.

Did the G-3 Variant also delete the MG17s in the Nose?

image.png.338db98be43d27ec6852840606e093b3.png

2 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

If you compare an E7 with a F4 or later version, you need to compare an Anton version with the Dora. The Friedrichs of the 109 didn't have that much to do with the Emily anymore. The differences are much larger than between a Friedrich and a Gustav. The differences between a Friedrich and a Gustav are not larger than between the 190 Anton's.

The E-7 can still trace many of it's Construction Components back to the Bf108, and you would be surprised how many Parts were LITERALLY THE SAME.

Underneath the Skin the Emils are essentially still Re-Bodied 108s, same Constuction Methods, same Machines, and especially the Wings are scarily similar, just reinforced in certain Points to increase Vne.

But you can still fit Ailerons, Slats, Flaps etc. from 108 to 109 and they will fit and probably work up to 450km/h, maybe even more. They won't fit perfectly because the Profile was changed somewhat, but the Mountings are the same.

Elevators are nearly Identical too.

It explains why the early 109 was perfect up to about 450, the Aerobatic Limit of the Taifun.

• Thanks 1

You best fly the Fw190s with 400 liters max. Unless you want to fly them from Northern France to Nottingham and back. 

We in SCG compared the fuel consumption of the Bf109 F-4 to a Fw190 A-3, at 1.0ata, cruising AP, ceteris paribus. The result wasn't what we expected. Hint: The Prius is not the one with the Daimler engine.