LukeFF

General guide to earning awards in career mode

This post isn't meant to give you the exact numbers needed to earn medals but rather is to serve as a general guide as to how you can earn awards in the game's career mode, given that quite a few changes have been made recently to the away awards are earned.

In general, awards are listing in order of ascending precedence. The plan is to update this post as new awards are added in the future.

Soviet Union:

Medal for Battle Merit: awarded for missions completed

Medal for Courage: awarded for missions completed

Order of the Patriotic War, 2nd Class: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed

Order of the Patriotic War, 1st Class: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed

Order of the Red Star: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times

Order of the Red Banner: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times

Hero of the Soviet Union: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times. Earned concurrently with Order of Lenin.

Order of Lenin: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times. Earned concurrently with Hero of the Soviet Union.

Distinguished Service Medal: awarded to unit commanders of Lend-Lease squadrons for missions completed

Order of Alexander Nevsky: awarded to unit commanders for missions completed

Order of Suvorov: awarded to unit commanders for missions completed

Medal for the Defense of Moscow: completion of the Battle of Moscow campaign (minimum service time required)

Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad: completion of the Battle of Stalingrad campaign (minimum service time required)

Medal for the Defense of the Caucasus: completion of the Battle of Kuban campaign (minimum service time required)

Red and Yellow wound stripes: awarded randomly for being wounded in action

United States:

Air Medal: awarded for accumulated air victories or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times.

Distinguished Flying Cross: awarded for accumulated air victories or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times.

Silver Star Medal: awarded for single-mission valor in air-to-air combat. Can be earned multiple times.

Distinguished Service Cross: awarded for single-mission valor in air-to-air combat. Can be earned multiple times.

Medal of Honor: awarded for single-mission valor in air-to-air combat

Legion of Merit: awarded to unit commanders for missions completed

Purple Heart: awarded for each of the first three times a pilot is wounded in action

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal: completion of the Rhineland campaign

United Kingdom:

Mentioned in Despatches: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times.

Distinguished Flying Medal: awarded for targets destroyed, single-mission valor, or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times. Awarded only to enlisted pilots (currently, only those pilots with the rank of Flight Sergeant)

Distinguished Flying Cross: awarded for targets destroyed, single-mission valor, or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times. Awarded only to officers

Distinguished Service Order: awarded for targets destroyed, single-mission valor, or missions completed. Can be earned multiple times. Awarded only to officers

Victoria Cross: awarded for single-mission valor in air-to-air combat. Can be earned multiple times

Air Force Medal: awarded randomly to enlisted pilots for accumulated service time (currently, only those pilots with the rank of Flight Sergeant)

Air Force Cross: awarded randomly to officers for accumulated service time

Wound Stripe: awarded for each of the first three times a pilot is wounded in action

France and Germany Star: completion of the Rhineland campaign

Germany:

Iron Cross (both grades): awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed

Honor Goblet: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed

Luftwaffe Honor Clasp: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed. Becomes a "replacement" award for the Honor Goblet in August 1944.

German Cross in Gold: awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed

Knight's Cross (all grades): awarded for targets destroyed or missions completed

Front Flying Clasps: awarded for missions successfully completed, up to 4 times for each subtype.

Wound Badge: awarded for the 1st, 3rd, and 5th time a pilot is wounded in action

Eastern Front Medal: completion of the Battle of Moscow campaign (minimum number of missions completed or having been wounded in action required)

Kuban Shield: completion of the Battle of Kuban campaign (minimum service time required)

Edited by LukeFF
Updated info for current release
  • Thanks 9

There is written that Medal of Honor is awarded for single-mission valor. I shot down seven or eight enemy fighters in single mission several times in my P-51 campaign but I haven't received MoH. Does it mean that criteria for obtaining MoH are set higher (which seems to be unrealistic in my opinion) or something is wrong with my game files?

Second question. Is it possible to obtain Front Flying Clasp with Pennant or the Golden Front Flying Clasp is the highest class of this award in the game?

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, redmanfas said:

There is written that Medal of Honor is awarded for single-mission valor. I shot down seven or eight enemy fighters in single mission several times in my P-51 campaign but I haven't received MoH. Does it mean that criteria for obtaining MoH are set higher (which seems to be unrealistic in my opinion) or something is wrong with my game files?

I'll have a check and make sure everything is ok with the game's config files.

7 hours ago, redmanfas said:

Second question. Is it possible to obtain Front Flying Clasp with Pennant or the Golden Front Flying Clasp is the highest class of this award in the game?

Yes, the Pennant is possible to earn. You just have to complete a whole lot of missions to earn it.

Edited by LukeFF

11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

I'll have a check and make sure everything is ok with the game's config files.

Yes, the Pennant is possible to earn. You just have to complete a whole lot of missions to earn it.

Ok, thank you for the answer. Meanwhile I carried out an experiment. I had set unlimited ammunition and flew an intercept mission. I shot down 13 enemy fighters and still get no MoH.

57 minutes ago, redmanfas said:

Ok, thank you for the answer. Meanwhile I carried out an experiment. I had set unlimited ammunition and flew an intercept mission. I shot down 13 enemy fighters and still get no MoH.

Ok, thanks. I think I know what the problem is, so hopefully it'll be fixed in the next official release.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, LukeFF said:

Ok, thanks. I think I know what the problem is, so hopefully it'll be fixed in the next official release.

Did the problem with MoH get fixed in 4.006 update?

7 hours ago, fatmanfas said:

Did the problem with MoH get fixed in 4.006 update?

I've not had a change to chance to check yet.

Interesting how Hero of the Soviet Union and the Knight’s Cross were awarded for accumulated victories, while the Victoria Cross and Medal of Honour were awarded for singular deeds of valour. It suggests a fascinating difference in thinking between the nations.

I’m studying to become a historian at the moment (not going to be finished anytime soon), so I’m seeing stuff like this in a whole new light now.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2020 at 10:46 AM, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Interesting how Hero of the Soviet Union and the Knight’s Cross were awarded for accumulated victories, while the Victoria Cross and Medal of Honour were awarded for singular deeds of valour. It suggests a fascinating difference in thinking between the nations.

Yes, it's been really interesting finding out the differing philosophies behind how these medals were awarded. No two nations had the same general criteria for how medals were handed out. The Soviet award system, in particular, can be a tricky one to navigate. While there was the official set of guidelines, there were also a lot of exceptions to how they authorized awards. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 1

Hi, Have flown Rheineland missions under two separate (Allied/English) careers and in both the Distinguished Flying medal (as a NCO) and the Distinguished Flying Cross (as Officer) disappears from pilot record when I proceed to next day. Anyone else having this issue? Any advice please?  

On 5/25/2020 at 2:07 AM, DuxNutz said:

Hi, Have flown Rheineland missions under two separate (Allied/English) careers and in both the Distinguished Flying medal (as a NCO) and the Distinguished Flying Cross (as Officer) disappears from pilot record when I proceed to next day. Anyone else having this issue? Any advice please?  

Yes, I had it twice in the same RAF career already. Perhaps we should just file a bug report in the technical section.

On 5/24/2020 at 5:07 PM, DuxNutz said:

2 hours ago, norsetto said:

Yes, I had it twice in the same RAF career already. Perhaps we should just file a bug report in the technical section.

Yes, please do file a report. I've had a look at the awards config file, and I cannot see any reason why these awards would be removed from your record.

12 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, please do file a report. I've had a look at the awards config file, and I cannot see any reason why these awards would be removed from your record.

Perhaps I should tone down the drinking celebrations...

• Haha 1

On 5/30/2020 at 9:00 AM, norsetto said:

Perhaps I should tone down the drinking celebrations...

😂

Yes I’ve had this happen too. Think I earned the DFM 3 or 4 times before I died. Started another Rhineland campaign with a different squadron and same thing happened. Both in Tempest for RAF. 

@LukeFF, can you please give us a guide about promotions, too? Would be interesting to see, when you get promoted to the different ranks.

1 hour ago, Yogiflight said:

@LukeFF, can you please give us a guide about promotions, too? Would be interesting to see, when you get promoted to the different ranks.

The only one I know of, for sure, is to achieve 10 aerial victories. There are other ways as well, for sure - by accumulating missions completed and destroying various ground targets. 

Also, in terms of promotions, this guide may be helpful in determining when promotions happen. It's from my notes I gathered back when I first started working on Rise of Flight's career mode many, many years ago:

Mission Completed with success - 1 point
Mission Completed with success in case when player is squadron commander - 1 point
Air Kill - 1 point
5x ground kills - 1 point
Ship kill - 1 point
Loco kill - 1 point
Building kill - 1 point
15 ground targets = 1 point
5 facilities = 1 point

So, from that - assuming that things haven't changed since then - it takes ten points to earn your first promotion. Like I said, though, that's from ROF's career mode setup, so things have probably changed since then a bit. But, I know for certain that in a recent Yak-1 career I played, I was promoted to Lieutenant after I scored my 10th victory.

11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Also, in terms of promotions, this guide may be helpful in determining when promotions happen. It's from my notes I gathered back when I first started working on Rise of Flight's career mode many, many years ago:

Mission Completed with success - 1 point
Mission Completed with success in case when player is squadron commander - 1 point
Air Kill - 1 point
5x ground kills - 1 point
Ship kill - 1 point
Loco kill - 1 point
Building kill - 1 point
15 ground targets = 1 point
5 facilities = 1 point

So, from that - assuming that things haven't changed since then - it takes ten points to earn your first promotion. Like I said, though, that's from ROF's career mode setup, so things have probably changed since then a bit. But, I know for certain that in a recent Yak-1 career I played, I was promoted to Lieutenant after I scored my 10th victory.

OK, thanks for your answer. I thought, you might have some inside view, how it is modelled in the game. I was mainly interested, if the distances between the promotions increase, the higher you get in the ranks.

22 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

I was mainly interested, if the distances between the promotions increase, the higher you get in the ranks.

It probably is, but I've never conducted any tests to see what sort of points are needed for the higher ranks.

Also, in terms of the German medals, the majority of the award requirements (at least for air victories), come from this page: https://rhorta.home.xs4all.nl/jgscor.htm. Based on this page (and other research), I can say about the German award system:

• There is indeed a different German award system between the Eastern Front and Western Front phases of career mode.
  • Destroying bombers in Western Front careers will get you awards faster.
  • The Luftwaffe Honor Clasp, as a "replacement" for the Honor Goblet, has the same award requirements as the Goblet.
  • At least 30 missions have to be completed to earn the Eastern Front Medal.
  • In terms of ground targets, all targets earn you points towards medals and promotions, but tanks have the most value (and, if/whenever ships are added to career mode, they will have the next-most value).

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

but tanks have the most value (and, if/whenever ships are added to career mode, they will have the next-most value).

A tank had more value than a ship, that could bring a hundred tanks? Funny Germans;)

It seems that I get the 'Front Flying Clasp' in silver always before the one in bronze. At least in my last 3 careers I tried as German fighter on the Moscow map.

58 minutes ago, vonGraf said:

It seems that I get the 'Front Flying Clasp' in silver always before the one in bronze. At least in my last 3 careers I tried as German fighter on the Moscow map.

Ok, thanks, I'll have a look at it.

On 5/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, LukeFF said:

I've made the test - 6 kills in one mission and still can't get no Medal of Honor so I hope it will be fixed in the next patch

• Sad 1

On 5/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, LukeFF said:

Are there news about MoH? Also I had a similar problem in RoF where settings are changed after a end of war, this make me unable to earn the award.

I would like to avoid this again please.

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2020 at 10:34 AM, redmanfas said:

I've made the test - 6 kills in one mission and still can't get no Medal of Honor so I hope it will be fixed in the next patch

You need at least one more kill in a mission (bombers and/or fighters) to qualify for the MoH. :) If it still doesn't work after trying that, just let me know here.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 12:09 AM, LukeFF said:

You need at least one more kill in a mission (bombers and/or fighters) to qualify for the MoH. :) If it still doesn't work after trying that, just let me know here.

It works! Thank you! :)

• Thanks 2