Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
E69_geramos109

Bailing Out. Almost imposible now.

Recommended Posts

I can not count the times I need to bail out now and because I am faster than 400 I can not. I understand there are situation that pilots were not able to bail but now it seems to much. Even on negative gs the pilot can not bail if he is fast or if he is wounded and I can not count now the times I damage my plane crashing with some part of a plane I just shoted down to know that I am done because I miss a wing or the tail and I will not be able to bail. Is quite frustrating and from my point of view not more realistic 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of aircraft, particularly with sliding canopies, were known to be difficult to escape from when traveling at high speeds or when under significant g-forces. As far as I know, this behavior is accurately modeled in the sim.

 

If you can control your aircraft and need to bail, you will need to slow the aircraft down in order to escape. Otherwise, I'm afraid that mother Earth has opened her arms to claim another soul. War is hell, as they say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FarflungWanderer said:

A lot of aircraft, particularly with sliding canopies, were known to be difficult to escape from when traveling at high speeds or when under significant g-forces. As far as I know, this behavior is accurately modeled in the sim.

 

If you can control your aircraft and need to bail, you will need to slow the aircraft down in order to escape. Otherwise, I'm afraid that mother Earth has opened her arms to claim another soul. War is hell, as they say.

And what about the planes that can jetison the canopy. The same is happening there and on this situation the pilot just needs to take out the belt to be trown away

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without knowing more about those planes, I cannot say. However, I'm not 100% sure that even canopies that could be forced out were capable of opening over certain air speeds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FarflungWanderer said:

Without knowing more about those planes, I cannot say. However, I'm not 100% sure that even canopies that could be forced out were capable of opening over certain air speeds.

 

They literally get blown away by explosive charges around the edges, they can be opened at any speeds.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2020 at 12:46 AM, E69_geramos109 said:

I can not count the times I need to bail out now and because I am faster than 400 I can not. I understand there are situation that pilots were not able to bail but now it seems to much. Even on negative gs the pilot can not bail if he is fast or if he is wounded and I can not count now the times I damage my plane crashing with some part of a plane I just shoted down to know that I am done because I miss a wing or the tail and I will not be able to bail. Is quite frustrating and from my point of view not more realistic 

I'm agree  with you, ...but it's well know that is very difficult to bail from an aircraft at more than 500 kph.... that is the reason becase Germans developed the ejection seat, for He-162, and an air-breaking parachute for Me-163 komet.

 

 

On 1/15/2020 at 2:06 AM, Peen said:

 

They literally get blown away by explosive charges around the edges, they can be opened at any speeds.

The Bf-109 had a spring-loaded ejectable canopy, from first models in 1937. .. the pilot could bailed out easilly, loosing his belt, and pushing the stick forward helping him with negative G's, ...but he couldn't do it at 500 kph or more, because the aerodynamic pressure push him inside the cockpit.

Edited by III/JG52_Otto_-I-
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 1:06 AM, Peen said:

 

They literally get blown away by explosive charges around the edges, they can be opened at any speeds.

 

Do you have a source for that? Because as far as I'm aware, the first use of explosive charges to remove canopies came post-WW2, with the introduction of ejector seats.

 

Edit: on checking, the Fw 190 seems to have been fitted with some sort of explosive-assisted system for ejecting the canopy, though it doesn't have them 'around the edges' - instead it used a cartridge to push it up into the slipstream.

Edited by AndyJWest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ger

On 1/15/2020 at 1:41 AM, E69_geramos109 said:

And what about the planes that can jetison the canopy. The same is happening there and on this situation the pilot just needs to take out the belt to be trown away

An bailing out from a Spitfire was more difficult than a Bf-109... see this video.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...