BlitzPig_EL

BoN speculation on first aircraft release...

21 hours ago, sevenless said:

G6(late) will be a G14 without boost.

Copy paste for quick stonks 

just like the majority of the BON aircraft

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Heliopause said:

This could be nice ....

P-61 Northrop P-61A-5-NO Black Widow.jpg

what is that? i've never seen it before

26 minutes ago, Kataphrakt said:

what is that? i've never seen it before

P-61 Black Widow, is it not? Mean looking...

18 hours ago, Avimimus said:

The A-6, G-6, P-51, P-47 all have a lot of supporting research done undoubtedly - as does the Typhoon (they Tempest was made with help from some people restoring a Typhoon)... The Ju-88C6 is pretty close to the A-4 in performance but will require a lot of work since it is a multi-seat aircraft...

It makes me think that the Mosquito and the Me-410 will be the last.

Who was it that was restoring a Typhoon?  There is a Typhoon restoration project underway in the UK (The Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group, which I'm supporting through membership.   Didn't the Devs also get help from the RAF Museum, Hendon, regarding the Tempest.  There's also a Typhoon there, too, which I'm sure the Devs are aware of. 

6 hours ago, kissklas said:

P-61 Black Widow, is it not? Mean looking...

Yep very nice plane and would fit perfectly well into BoBP timeframe. So many other planes would also...

17 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Yep very nice plane and would fit perfectly well into BoBP timeframe. So many other planes would also...

Sounds like quite the task developing night fighting equipment though. But it would be a cool addon for sure. Mossie, 110... Lots of possibilities in terms of aircraft.

Only question is: would people fly it, and would servers run night maps.

1 minute ago, kissklas said:

Sounds like quite the task developing night fighting equipment though. But it would be a cool addon for sure. Mossie, 110... Lots of possibilities in terms of aircraft.

Only question is: would people fly it, and would servers run night maps.

Nightfighting wouldn´t be necessary. Dusk and dawn would be sufficient. They also flew air-ground operations.

German:

https://www.flugrevue.de/klassiker/zweiter-weltkrieg-northrop-p-61-black-widow-ueber-europa/

7 hours ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

Copy paste for quick stonks 

just like the majority of the BON aircraft

I'll bite. The only two aircraft in IL-2: Battle of Normandy that are going to be pretty easy to crank out are the Fw190A-6 and the Bf109G-6 Late. Beyond that...no, not really. The P-51B might as well be a different aircraft with all of the airframe and cockpit changes. The same goes for the P-47. The Typhoon has quite a few differences from the Tempest and the Spitfire XIV is based on the Spitfire VIII and then Spitfire XII airframe which was a total redesign and requires a lot of detail changes to be accurate nevermind the redesigned nose and tail. The Me410 and Ar234 are entirely new planes to the series. The Ju88C-6a shares some with the A-4 variant but there are some big differences too.

Devil is in the details 😈

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Nightfighting wouldn´t be necessary. Dusk and dawn would be sufficient. They also flew air-ground operations.

There weren't very many P-61 in the ETO even in 1945. Probably low on the poll for modeling at least until we get radar et al.

Unfortunately, it has been said that - even if licensing/trademark issues were resolved in the United States - the P-61's interior would be very difficult and expensive to model.

5 hours ago, Jabo_68* said:

Who was it that was restoring a Typhoon?  There is a Typhoon restoration project underway in the UK (The Hawker Typhoon Preservation Group, which I'm supporting through membership.   Didn't the Devs also get help from the RAF Museum, Hendon, regarding the Tempest.  There's also a Typhoon there, too, which I'm sure the Devs are aware of. 

Something I saw in one of the dev updates indicated some cooperation... but I might have been misremembering...

7 hours ago, Jabo_68* said:

There's one being restored in Canada as well: https://www.typhoonlegacy.com/

I really really hope we get the option for a bubble canopy modification for the Spit XIV, though perhaps I'm being optimistic...

Would be great for using across BoBp through to the end of the war...

Edited by [_FLAPS_]Diggun
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Avimimus said:

Unfortunately, it has been said that - even if licensing/trademark issues were resolved in the United States - the P-61's interior would be very difficult and expensive to model.

Something I saw in one of the dev updates indicated some cooperation... but I might have been misremembering...

Mid Atlantic Air Museum is restoring a P-61 to flying condition in Reading Pennsylvania, so hopefully they could share some references. 

• Like 1

It's already been said, but I'd believe the 109G6 late or 190A6 will be first, not too much work comparatively.

TBH, the first aircraft should be the 109 G6 late, and then replace the early G6 in the BOBP career, which does not fit there anymore.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2020 at 2:03 PM, migmadmarine said:

Mid Atlantic Air Museum is restoring a P-61 to flying condition in Reading Pennsylvania, so hopefully they could share some references. 

Given that the P61 is a purpose build night fighter that always had a radar and Jason has said that radar management is not on the road map, I don't foresee a P61 any time soon.  The thing about the other planes (Ju88C, Mosquito, Me110 to name a few) is that they were multi role and do not require implementation of on board radar to have a place in the game.  P61 does require this.

Heres hoping we get more mods for the planes already in game, but probably not.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

Given that the P61 is a purpose build night fighter that always had a radar and Jason has said that radar management is not on the road map, I don't foresee a P61 any time soon.  The thing about the other planes (Ju88C, Mosquito, Me110 to name a few) is that they were multi role and do not require implementation of on board radar to have a place in the game.  P61 does require this.

As things stand right now, the black widow would be indeed impossible to add to the game. Without the onboard radar the whole plane makes no sense. HOWEVER ... another characteristic of the plane, which until recently I imagined I would not live to see implemented in BoX, is the remotely operated guns, and now we are getting them for the 410. So who knows... little by little we are crawling towards more late-war technologies. 

4 hours ago, danielprates said:

As things stand right now, the black widow would be indeed impossible to add to the game. Without the onboard radar the whole plane makes no sense. HOWEVER ... another characteristic of the plane, which until recently I imagined I would not live to see implemented in BoX, is the remotely operated guns, and now we are getting them for the 410. So who knows... little by little we are crawling towards more late-war technologies. 

I don't want to infer something you did not imply, but it might bear emphasizing the P-61s of the 422nd and 425th NFS didn't have the dorsal turret. They lacked the dorsal guns and thus flew without the gunner (generally speaking). In fact the 425th had their airplanes locally modified to move the radar operator's station forward into the cockpit. 

33 minutes ago, busdriver said:

I don't want to infer something you did not imply, but it might bear emphasizing the P-61s of the 422nd and 425th NFS didn't have the dorsal turret. They lacked the dorsal guns and thus flew without the gunner (generally speaking). In fact the 425th had their airplanes locally modified to move the radar operator's station forward into the cockpit. 

They'd likely add the turrets as a modification that way it has use in other theaters such as the Pacific.

3 hours ago, busdriver said:

In fact the 425th had their airplanes locally modified to move the radar operator's station forward into the cockpit. 

The position of the third crewman was poor and all complained about it.

As for there not being radar in the game, I think the European P-61s were often, too often, used for ground attack during the day time. And not for lack of night targets, but they were good gun platforms.

The P 61's dorsal turrets were removed because they made the aircraft unstable.

7 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The P 61's dorsal turrets were removed because they made the aircraft unstable.

My sources say it's because the B-29 had priority on remote turret production. No mention about stability, but an issue of buffeting.  

[edit #2]

After further cogitating, I initially read our friend @BlitzPig_EL‘s remark to mean aerodynamically unstable as in hard to control. But perhaps he was implying that the airplane would buffet (at combat speeds) enough to make accurate gunnery impossible and reading instruments or the radar scope very difficult. Thus the airplane was NOT a stable platform, more like it was flying through moderate to severe turbulence.

My apologies for the confusion.:drinks:

Edited by busdriver
clarify buffeting issue...

4 minutes ago, busdriver said:

No mention about stability, but an issue of buffeting.  

Related image

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Related image

They made the remote turrets work but they had to jimmy them to do so. 

• Haha 2

Well busdriver, I may be the one in error.  I just remembered it as a stability issue, but buffeting could be the real culprit here.  As I recall the turret was often locked in the straight ahead position and used as forward firing guns only as a way of preventing this problem.

A.I. Dakota / Skytrain. 😂

I expect 109s and 190s first with P-51s and P-47s falowing up and maybe Typhoon to end the year, but it would be nice if they do Spit14 first, as its collectable and best performing allied fighter if its made early in early acces ppl would be tempted to buy whole BoN insted wait to get it as collectable if its one of last to be out.

• Upvote 1

Me-109 G6(late) and Fw-190 A6 will be the first. In case of the 109, they only need to give the existing G6 an Erla Hood or take away MW 50 from the existing G14. In case of the A6, they only need to mate the A5 fuselage and engine with the A8 wing. Should both be doable within the next 10 weeks.

A Mk XIV Spit 'T' for Trooper needs to make a rapid appearance... there, I said it  :dance:

1 hour ago, sevenless said:

Me-109 G6(late) and Fw-190 A6 will be the first. In case of the 109, they only need to give the existing G6 an Erla Hood or take away MW 50 from the existing G14. In case of the A6, they only need to mate the A5 fuselage and engine with the A8 wing. Should both be doable within the next 10 weeks.

Yep, but in my eyes the G6 would make more sense, as it definitely should replace the early G6 in the BOBP career.

6 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

Yep, but in my eyes the G6 would make more sense, as it definitely should replace the early G6 in the BOBP career.

Yep, I am with you with that. That would be the G6(late) but not very late and not so early version. Basically the 1943 G6 with additional (retrofitted) Erla canopy.

Something like this:

Unbenannt4.jpg

Edited by sevenless

I guess they are going to make MW 50 as mod, to cover the earlier than April 44 timeframe. Fingers crossed for AS engine as mod as well.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

On 1/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, sevenless said:

That sounds like 20min of work 😁.

Cripple one plane: hit DELete few times, click "save as", rename, hit ok)....voila early g6 🛫

For A6: open A5 folder, delete wings, open A8 folder, copy A8 wings, go to A5 folder, paste wings, save as (A6).......brrrm brrrm here you go.... A6!

On 1/20/2020 at 4:12 AM, EAF_Ribbon said:

That sounds like 20min of work 😁.

Cripple one plane: hit DELete few times, click "save as", rename, hit ok)....voila early g6 🛫

Dunno if it is that easy to code, but it is one of the easier ToDos for sure.

Plane will look as one of Klaus Mietuschs machines. Either like his spring 44 or fall 44 crate.

Klaus%20Mietusch%202.jpg

Flown by Hautmann Klaus Mietusch, Stab III./JG 26, Vendevile/France - Rheine/Germany, March 8, 1944

Klaus%20Meitusch%203.jpg

Flown by Major Klaus Mietusch, Stab III./JG 26, München-Gladbach/Germany, September 17, 1944

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 2

Well, the easiest planes to model by far would be the 109G-6(late) and 190A-6, mostly because most of either already exists in the game's code as well as in 3D assets.

Then there's the Ju 88C-6 (which uses Jumo 211s), P-51 and P-47. Most of these also exists as code in the game right now, though their 3D model would be significantly harder to kitbash from existing assets, especially in the case of the Mustang.

Beyond those is the Griffon Spitfire, which is probably going to require a scratchbuilt 3D model as the visual differences between it and the IX are just too many to warrant an attempt at modifying the existing asset. Then there's the completely different engine.

The Mosquito uses Merlin engines, so at least code wise modifications could be made. The same can be said about the Ar 234 and Typhoon - their engines also already exist in the Me 262 and Tempest, respectively.

Which leaves the Me 410. Completely new 3D model, plus DB 603 engines. And if that weren't already enough, a gazillion possible variants, refits and retrofits. I'd be extremely surprised if it wasn't going to be released last.