Donik

MODS ON desktop shortcut possible?

Wondering if it's possible to have a MODS on Shortcut on the desktop alongside a normal launch shortcut for multiplayer.  It gets annoying having to untick mods on in settings and restart any time you want to do one or the other. 

The desktop launcher has an option to turn mods on/off before launch.

If I remember rightly it's under setting towards the top right of the launcher screen

On Desktop Create a shortcut to Startup.Cfg Located in. 
>> \\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\data <<

Before Running the game
Open Startup.cfg shortcut with Notepad or similar 
and change the Following Line and save file then run game.
===========================
[KEY = system]
      modes = 0

(0 = off 1 = on)

(don't know why its called MODES and not MODS but it is.)
Cheers 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HappyHaddock said:

The desktop launcher has an option to turn mods on/off before launch.

If I remember rightly it's under setting towards the top right of the launcher screen

I forgot to mention I'm running via Steam.. Never have seen a launcher for IL-2.. I assume it's something similar to what we had for Rise of Flight?

1 hour ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

On Desktop Create a shortcut to Startup.Cfg Located in. 
>> \\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Moscow\data <<

Before Running the game
Open Startup.cfg shortcut with Notepad or similar 
and change the Following Line and save file then run game.
[KEY = system]
      modes = 0

(0 = off 1 = on)

(don't know why its called MODES and not MODS but it is.)
Cheers 

This will work, thank you. Still cumbersome though but not nearly as bad as restarting the game.  I was hoping for something more along the lines of a -flag in the shortcut.  Maybe something like below.  Any ideas?

"..\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\Il-2.exe" -modson

13 hours ago, Donik said:

I forgot to mention I'm running via Steam.. Never have seen a launcher for IL-2.. I assume it's something similar to what we had for Rise of Flight?

I have never got on with steam so can't comment about how things work within that system. However the default set up outside of steam is that the game installs an icon on your desktop, you click that and it comes up with a launcher with a limited menu system with a big red PLAY button at the bottom. Somewhat obviously if you hit play it launches the game unless the game is updating in which case this becomes a progress bar showing the rate of download and will only return to being a PLAY button once any latest update has downloaded and installed.

Of course if you don't hit play immediately you can use the various options to change few basic settings before launching the game.

launcher screen.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock

Ok, that makes things pretty simple. Maybe I'll switch over to the non steam copy!

Why isn´t it possible to start the game with the launcher on steam anyways?

Most games I play (granted, it´s a very limited number) have a launcher.

Is there a specific reason why this doesn´t work?

3 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

Can't you add the launcher to your steam library?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

17 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

The game, as downloaded by steam, doesn't appear to have a launcher.  At least, from my looking around in what I think are the appropriate places, haven't been able to find one.

13 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

Can't you add the launcher to your steam library?

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2219-YDJV-5557

Yup, I could do that if I downloaded the copy from IL2 website.  But I wouldn't bother, as I don't care about Steam that much.  It's just that initially I bought Battle of Stalingrad from Steam and so that's where it has remained.  I've never bothered to convert myself to the non-steam version.

Given you sync your accounts (Steam and IL-2), you will be able to run everything from 777's launcher. Doesn't matter if bought on Steam. But I suppose u knew that :P

What's really helpful sometimes, you can then show the launcher to steam's location and enjoy both worlds, whenever needed, without interference. Faster DL from Steam, launcher from 777 - one copy on HDD. 

Hmmm.. How do I do that?  I just downloaded the launcher from IL2 website and installed it, but now it's re-downloading the game.  Checking settings, I don't see anywhere to point it to another location. 

Edit: took the launcher.exe as well as it's .dll files and put it in the same directory, but on my steam copy.  Did not work :P

Unless you are talking about Steam's ability to "add a non-steam game to your library" - in which case I wouldn't be able to utilize steam's servers for downloads.. But it would enable launching the launcher through steam.  Cheers!

Edited by Donik

49 minutes ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

It's just not included in the Steam version because Steam is already the "launcher". I suppose they thought (probably correctly) that many people would get a bit fed up with a game launcher (Steam) starting another game launcher which then launched the game itself. To be fair, that's the way it generally works. I own a lot of Steam games (374 total) and off the top of my head, I can only remember maybe 2-3 that have their own launcher. A few others include a launcher than can be used optionally, but you have to go find it in the game folder, it isn't used when starting direct from Steam.

33 minutes ago, Donik said:

Hmmm.. How do I do that?

The launcher has to be in the 'bin/game" directory, same as IL2.exe. Let it proceed with the update, it will only check/download some files again, but in the end these are all the same. The game will work both with Steam and launcher (the latter will often double-check after Steam updates, but that doesn't change a thing).

qu5LLYx.png

Edited by RavN_Sone
  • Upvote 1

Hi RavN_Sone,

If I take just the launcher.exe from C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\bin\game, and move it into my steam installation directory of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game, I end up with the following error:

image.png.7426549ac3cbc5a64d3cee41f0839747.png

Now, if I take the associated library files from C:\Program Files (x86)\1C Game Studios\IL-2 Sturmovik Great Battles\bin\game and again put them in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game

image.png.c2a7ba138a6af59c0d4adf3f8d1c3f1c.png

I get the following error:

image.png.cc5ef04a8f41a1462c2f7e3b94405356.png

And looking deeper into that message, I just fixed it 😄

I went to \Data\updater\ folder and copied it to my steam installed directory.

The launcher is working now with my steam installation.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Guys, I've made this little app back in the RoF days, and adapted it to IL-2. If you want to try it, just download the package here. I've provided the source code (made in AutoIT3) for those who are suspicious about running an .exe directly (so they can compile it themselves, using AutoIT - free). 

The zip package contains two executables, one for native IL-2 and other for Steam version. 

To "install":

If you use the "native IL-2" version, put the files BoS_background.jpg and BoS_Selector1.00.exe in the IL-2 main folder. 

If you use the Steam version, put the files BoS_background.jpg and BoS_SelectorSteam.exe in the Steam/IL-2 main folder.

You can create a link for the .exe on your deskop or place of choice.

After you call it for the first time, it will create a BoS_Selector.ini file on the game's folder, and will present you with this interface:

image.png.d5e9c12c6719f2abc988a0a7b19d07c6.png

The option "Clear logs" do what it says - before entering the game, it clears all logs (so your logs doesn't grow forever).

The option "MouseJail", if marked, will bring up a window so you can point the program to MouseJail's location (if you use 2 or more monitors and sometimes play as a gunner, this is a must to avoid your mouse going outside your gaming monitor).

The option "Mods on" is the one you'll tick when wanting to play with mods on, of course.

After doing your ticks, just click on "BOS Default" to play the vanilla game, or PWCG to play it with logs on. When playing "BOS Default", it will have logs off.

The "Update" is there to call the game's update function, in case it's needed. 

The program remembers your choices for the next run.

Hope this helps. 

Cheers.

Edited by jokerBR
  • Thanks 8