Sign in to follow this  
ATAG_Pattle

TFS 5.0 Anti Aliasing Announcement

Team Fusion Simulations will be introducing two new AA options to the upcoming Battle of Britain flight simulator IL-2 Cliffs and Dover and the upcoming expansion into the North African theatre of war.

They are:

FXAA - Supporting 3 modes and quality settings (1 shader pass)

FXAA(Fast Aproximate AA) is a post AA mode that use blur filters. First, it detects contrasts ("edges") in the frame and then blurs it along the gradient.

This results in highly reduced visible "jaggies" that also covers alpha-textures, but it also blurs everything, including textures.

SMAA - 2 modes and 4 quality presets (3 shader passes)

SMAA is an AA mode based on the Post-AA blur filter of MLAA (and FXAA). The alisasing "detection" is upgraded and is closer to the detection used in MSAA then the detection used in MLAA and FXAA.

The result is that SMAA smoothes alpha-textures and greatly reduces the visible "jaggies", but doesn't blur the image as much.

Most experts say SMAA results in less blurring, cleaner edges and overall improved image. But it requires more processing power... so not for everyone.

Here are 1080p comparison images...

They make a definitive positive difference to the look of the sim.

Let us know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv3yKLis8fE

Cheers,

Pattle

Edited by ATAG_Pattle
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 5

I've looked at this on my phone, my laptop and my 27" screen.

I couldn't detect any difference.......:scratch_one-s_head:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

At what resolution? I can't see any difference on my Ipad or phone but on my monitor and putting the youtube resolution at 4k it is obvious. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

I've looked at this on my phone, my laptop and my 27" screen.

I couldn't detect any difference.......:scratch_one-s_head:

Starting at 0:49 in the video, look at the antenna at the top of the Beaufighter, and it's pretty noticeable..

If you're looking at any of the cockpit views, the difference around the glass pane edges is fairly obvious as well.

Edited by vipe155
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

putting the youtube resolution at 4k it is obvious. 

Aha!  Didn't realise you could crank up the res. to 2160:)

9 minutes ago, vipe155 said:

Starting at 0:49 in the video, look at the antenna at the top of the Beaufighter, and it's pretty noticeable..

If you're looking at any of the cockpit views, the difference around the glass pane edges is fairly obvious as well.

Yep!  Clearly visible improvement.  Good work TFS:salute:

• Like 2

Current Steam version, v4.57:

1623827915_Ant2.jpg.660f9cc762f536bc0462f4a711257d78.thumb.jpg.e56627f11f5dc23a9354f0e9f4731683.jpg

1175897956_Ant-1.jpg.e2e6da3c4277947d7fd8574dfbb6f756.thumb.jpg.d1024b5e80e2cc7a4ce2990934774cc6.jpg

I notice from this update picture the AA doesn't make a change to the Antenna wire in FSAA. Does SMAA get rid/improve the antenna wire so it isn't a row of dots? 

Clipboard03.thumb.png.1486224ae0f45d3fc0054a97556329e9.png

Cheers, Mysticpuma 

Edited by Mysticpuma

These solutions have been around and freely accessible for years, announcing that you've incorporated them seems... just not so serious.

• Confused 1

I can't tell the difference between FXAA and SMAA, but do see without them 🙂

BTW I noticed sky dome colors banding, I hope this can be fixed, because now its look bad as in Il-2 GB...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

I can't tell the difference between FXAA and SMAA, but do see without them 🙂

BTW I noticed sky dome colors banding, I hope this can be fixed, because now its look bad as in Il-2 GB...

Apparently we are waiting for the new weather system to be showcased which may include improved sky box. I have commented on the banding previously and been told to wait for the new weather to be showcased. 

Waiting patiently because as you say, currently the banding is awful. 

Cheers Mysticpuma 

• Thanks 1

For those who do not see the improvement.

WE LOVE THE CLOD, we know it is on the next level!

For others, put on glasses

who wants to understand that I understand
Thank you

Spoiler

no-AA.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Sorry to say guys I also have difficulty, the glasses you know and the image moving from one into the other did not help.:cray:

Maybe still images of the same scene in both versions might help, however, at the end of the day we all have different rigs so what looks good for one maybe not for others, what we see in use on our own will ultimately determine what we feel is adequate or not.;)

Come on guys, please release the thing, you cannot hold on to it forever.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug

Do not release it until it's ready for god's sake... I can just see the forum outrage and whining that will follow if there are problems, because it was released prematurely! 

• Like 5

S!

The SMAA looked best, could spot differences between it and FXAA. Keep the updates coming, good stuff!

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Trooper117 said:

Do not release it until it's ready for god's sake... I can just see the forum outrage and whining that will follow if there are problems, because it was released prematurely! 

Whenever it is released, early or late, there will be outrage and whining because there will always be something that folks consider to be not quite right.;)

This is flight sim world and that is how it has always been, try as hard as they might to make everything perfect the development team is always on a hiding to nothing it seems, you only have to take a look at the problems Jason and his gang have to deal with to see that, nothing is ever bug free, the harder you try sometimes the more difficult you make things for yourself so bring it on and embrace the furore.:thank_you:

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Can't agree Pete... Yes, I know that games are usually released with some problems that need ironing out, plus, as the game progresses other problems will arise.

I'm sure that the dev team will release as soon as they are sure that they are happy that it's all in a playable, and as far as they are concerned, a stable state.

• Like 2