Spit_

HP Reverb- movement fore and aft

Hello 

I recently moved from a Rift to a Reverb after 2.5 years on the Oculus.

I have followed the various guides etc but really have no clue with this WMR stuff.

However my biggest problem seems to be any inability to move fore and aft inside the cockpit ?

The Reverb the cockpit panel moves away from you. Something the Rift would do if it lost tracking???

Can anyone suggest a settling or fix for this.

my ingame setting is   - expert

Cheers

{IMHO} - I am quite shocked at how poor the WMR system is when compared to the Oculus Rift  system

Edited by Spit_
not necessary
  • Confused 1

Yeah Oculus is pretty hard to beat in ease of use and consistent reliability.

All one has to do is read many of the threads spread across various forums with all the changing/tweaking of the WMR devices.

Not saying that is a bad thing for all as many enjoy doing that. I just like to put my headset on and game.

Which is a big reason I went from Rift CV1 to Rift S, and am glad I did.

I can not help on your issue, but sure sounds like a tracking issue. Devices using inside/out tracking need good room lighting. Plus Reverb I believe

only has two cameras. So first thing I would do is examine lighting placement and amount of lighting.

Edited by dburne

I think you need to establish your headset position first in WMR (not steam WMR).   I would restart WMR and make sure everything looks normal in the Cliff House, and then start up everything else.

2 hours ago, Spit_ said:

Hello 

I have followed the various guides etc but really have no clue with this WMR stuff.

However my biggest problem seems to be any inability to move fore and aft inside the cockpit ?

The Reverb the cockpit panel moves away from you. Something the Rift would do if it lost tracking???

Cheers

For people who look for info on VR before purchase:

{IMHO} - I am quite shocked at how poor the WMR system is when compared to the Oculus Rift  system

I would not recommend purchasing  any VR HMD at this time for Flight Racing Sim... Don't fall for the reviews on Youtube. Wait - {IMHO}

I think you need to establish your headset position first in WMR (not steam WMR).   I would restart WMR and make sure everything looks normal in the Cliff House, and then start up everything else.

8 hours ago, Spit_ said:

Hello 

Perhaps you set up something wrong. I have Reverb and no any issue with tracking.

For me Reverb is the best HMD now on the Market and quality kills everything what I used (Pimax 5k+, HTC Vive, Oculus CV1 and S).

Your symptoms shows that You have maybe too dark room. Check it. WMR needs a little lights inside a room.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Spit_ said:

inability to move fore and aft inside the cockpit ?

How about moving left / right and up / down? Is the cockpit moving with you too?

If yes, I'd suppose the positional tracking is not calibrated. This is done after launching the WMR software (icon looks like little HMD and during game play mirrors the image from the headset) which asks you to look to the sides and down. Cliffhouse fires up after that and you can check head tracking works as it should.

Feel free then to launch SteamVR an Il2.

I will not comment on the rest of your post as it is sth subjective. I am using WMR for a year now without any issues and think it is pretty easy to set up.

Good luck!

Thanks for replies community help is always best advice.

I like the Reverb Headset itself - an improvement on the Rift :)

• Like 1

Just noticed that WMR (Reverb) really needs more room lighting to keep proper tracking ! Oculus worked better in dark but now Reverb works fine too

5 hours ago, YoYo said:

Perhaps you set up something wrong. I have Reverb and no any issue with tracking.

For me Reverb is the best HMD now on the Market and quality kills everything what I used (Pimax 5k+, HTC Vive, Oculus CV1 and S).

Your symptoms shows that You have maybe too dark room. Check it. WMR needs a little lights inside a room.

+1 on the Reverb

Thanks all for advice

I had to uninstall / reinstall the headset WMR in windows 10.

Also re read carefully - VR4DCS pages and noticed I have beta version of VR Steam ticked (not recommended) only WMR for Steam should be beta version.

NOW it  works better. I can look out the side of the canopy or down to the compass now without them moving away from me!!

I've never had any issues with tracking on my reverb.Glad you have got it sorted however I would edit your original post as it may unjustly put people off the fantastic bit of kit.

Edited by Bullets

All not quite well.

Another day and the issue has returned.

BUT 

I checked Win Y setup and it was disabled in the Registry

problem solved I hope

Edited by Spit_

Tracking is wonky while the game is paused. I works fine as soon as I unpause the game. We are not talking about this issue?

I find this problem with everything moving away or back but not in all cockpits , I just thought it was a bug ? I am new to VR and love it , the reverb works very well apart from this occasional issue with some but not all cockpits..

atb oxo

123UKoxo-uk it shouldn't do that at all. 

Apollon01 advised :

I'd suppose the positional tracking is not calibrated. This is done after launching the WMR software (icon looks like little HMD and during game play mirrors the image from the headset) which asks you to look to the sides and down. Cliffhouse fires up after that and you can check head tracking works as it should.

Feel free then to launch SteamVR an Il2.

I copied a WMR icon to my home screen. so I can start the Reverb manually!

I then use the "purple room set screen" from the side options on the WMR screen  -which also gives you the centre option. If you do that every start you will be okay.

BUT If I exit after setting up (alt tab to desktop) , I loose the calibration again ( dash moves away etc..). So make sure you have voice attack or anything else you switch on already running. then Reverb , then Steam IL2

or Il2 launcher which ever one you use.

• Like 1

I have the Reverb and also occasionally run into the issue of not being able to move my head fore and aft within the cockpit - the cockpit moves with my head and I can get closer to the instruments for example.   Generally I find if I increase the lighting on the room, the problem goes away.

Sometimes, as I start my aircraft on the ground, my head will be suddenly be looking out the rear of the cockpit (wish I could invoke THAT on command, would solve my rearward visibility weakness!)   Then, when I hit the mapped button to recenter the VR view, everything is back to normal. 

Other times, my head position will suddenly be outside the canopy and gently "float" back down inside, after which the problem of moving my head fore and aft in the cockpit is resolved.

On 1/12/2020 at 12:40 AM, Gomoto said:

Tracking is wonky while the game is paused. I works fine as soon as I unpause the game. We are not talking about this issue?

I've seen this and also the problem if light is too low, but otherwise tracking works well for me.

• Upvote 1

Just a quick update with some new info - I had this problem again yesterday, and even with daylight streaming into the room and all the lights on, I couldn't get it to go away.  I tried different airplanes, tried closing and reopening the program, rebooting the computer, everything I could think of.  Finally, what seemed to snap the tracking back was looking up and back as far as I could stretch.   That seemed to do the trick.   I wonder if it has anything to do with a white painted ceiling versus tan walls in the room?

4 hours ago, oboe said:

Just a quick update with some new info - I had this problem again yesterday, and even with daylight streaming into the room and all the lights on, I couldn't get it to go away.  I tried different airplanes, tried closing and reopening the program, rebooting the computer, everything I could think of.  Finally, what seemed to snap the tracking back was looking up and back as far as I could stretch.   That seemed to do the trick.   I wonder if it has anything to do with a white painted ceiling versus tan walls in the room?

Could be , that combined with the fact it has only two cameras. 

However I do not see this reported elsewhere as a predominant problem for seated experiences.

19 hours ago, oboe said:

I doubt it ....I have a light on a shelf right in front and above me and the overhead lights on in the room and very rarely lose tracking (my walls are tan and ceiling white ) If I do I just move my head left to right quickly and it comes right back.

I’m new to a Reverb and have experienced this several times. The reason for it is that the headset has lost its calibration. You can’t reset it when the game is running. Simply come out of the game and Relaunch it and then always be sure to look around fully and up and down, as the game is still loading.

i was getting frustrated as this would only happen randomly, but since doing the routine of fully looking around during load, the problem had not returned, even playing in a fairly dark room at night.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 12:00 AM, CmdrEffieTrinket said:

I’m new to a Reverb and have experienced this several times. The reason for it is that the headset has lost its calibration. You can’t reset it when the game is running. Simply come out of the game and Relaunch it and then always be sure to look around fully and up and down, as the game is still loading.

i was getting frustrated as this would only happen randomly, but since doing the routine of fully looking around during load, the problem had not returned, even playing in a fairly dark room at night.

I never heard that, but sounds interesting, I want to test what you say.

What do you mean by "during loading the game"? You mean once you start IL-2 at the game launch or while loading a Quick Mission or Carrer mode or Online Game!? 

I remember this issue. It was solved by always starting Microsoft's WMR software and entering the Cliffhouse first. Then put on the headset. There, the headset would recognize the real life environment and movement was unlocked. Then, take headset off and proceed to start SteamVR as usual.

Success rate of this was 100%.

If I skipped this part, for example by starting PC -> then launching SteamVR, the issue would not always, but often appear. As @CmdrEffieTrinket said, the room recognition method isn't called when already in the next VR layer, for example SteamVR.

• Upvote 1

When this happens in-game, do this. Go to the mixed reality portal, click the box that lets you set up a room boundary. Choose the setup for sitting. It will ask you to center the headset, click to center the headset and that's all it should take to re-establish 6 dof tracking. This always works for me. Make sure you have enough light and put something on your walls (posters, frames, ets...). It give WMR something to track. Hope that works for you.

9 minutes ago, 69th_EagleEye76 said:

When this happens in-game, do this. Go to the mixed reality portal, click the box that lets you set up a room boundary. Choose the setup for sitting. It will ask you to center the headset, click to center the headset and that's all it should take to re-establish 6 dof tracking. This always works for me. Make sure you have enough light and put something on your walls (posters, frames, ets...). It give WMR something to track. Hope that works for you.

+1

This is exactly what I do as well on the odd occasion I lose tracking, always works and is very quick to do.

Key things are:

Make sure you have enough lighting. WMR requires ample light. 

Put headset on and look around after opening WMR. Do this before opening Steam's WMR app and IL2. You will see it says recognized play space or unable to recognize. 

If unable redo your room boundaries and you will be good to go. Don't forget to turn off the chaperone as you don't need it for a seated sim.

On 2/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, 69th_EagleEye76 said:

Yep if you didn't set the center of the tracking where you are sitting it does the thing where you cant move your head forward.  Resetting the tracking in the WRM software resets it.

Posted (edited)

I had recently bad tracking from out of nowhere and tried to resolve it by choosing setup for sitting. This did not lead to good tracking.

After a few bad sessions I did the full standing setup with in wmr, although I only use sitting at the moment. This resolved the bad tracking issue completly.

Sitting setup seems to provide inferior sourrounding data to standing setup as a baseline for tracking. 

Perhaps this is of help to others experiencing bad tracking. 

Edited by Gomoto

I didn’t read this whole thread so I may be repeating someone... apologies if I am. 

I have a Reverb too and I had trouble with tracking only when turning my head to the right. I discovered this is because there is a wall without any differing features very close to me on that side. When I hung a long banner poster on that wall, the issue went away.

If you are having trouble with tracking and there are objects close to you, remove them if you can. If the objects are walls, try putting something on them so the camera can discern movement when they are in front of the cameras.

Posted (edited)

Tracking worked for me perfectly for several 100 hours and it does work perfect now again.

But when I just used the stationary (seated) postion procedure (centering only) it did go horrible wrong several sessions.

Since I switched back using to the procedure with the boundries it works perfectly as always in the past.

I just posted because I would imagine a fellow simmer only ever using a stationary setup not being aware that also in this use case the procedure with the boundries is the much better one to calibrate the tracking, even if you never plan to leave your seat.

Imagine they even speculate about 4 cameras in the next headset, when bad tracking is a software related problem and easily avioded by using the more sophisticated calibration with bounderies.

Note also that I only need to calibrate from time to time because I get a new windows build every week. In normal day to day use you do not have to recalibrate the HMD, it just works out of the box (if you do not fall for the fallacy of using the stationary position calibration). 😉

Edited by Gomoto