Jade_Monkey

Manual oxygen controls?

I'm sure this was brought up in the past but now that we have the physiology modeled for blackouts, would it be worth considering adding a new OPTIONAL feature for hypoxia?

When you reach a certain altitude the lack of oxygen starts affecting the player after some time.

What's already there:

-Oxygen system

- damage to the oxygen system

-Animations for valves

-Oxygen masks

What needs to be developed:

- key mapping for the oxygen valve

- hypoxia effects on player

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

PS: I don't think this is a huge priority, especially given how low the typically fights take place. However, I think it would be a neat feature.

Edit: I just realized that damage to the oxygen system is already modeled in game and has been there for a while. What I don't know is if that has any impact on the player as of right now.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Upvote 8

Like you say, not a huge priority.

But I'm all for it if they can include it.

Have a nice day.

:salute:

23 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I'm sure this was brought up in the past but now that we have the physiology modeled for blackouts, would it be worth considering adding a new OPTIONAL feature for hypoxia?

When you reach a certain altitude the lack of oxygen starts affecting the player after some time.

What's already there:

-Oxygen system

- damage to the oxygen system

-Animations for valves

-Oxygen masks

What needs to be developed:

- key mapping for the oxygen valve

What do you guys think? Any suggestions?

PS: I don't think this is a huge priority, especially given how low the typically fights take place. However, I think it would be a neat feature.

Edit: I just realized that damage to the oxygen system is already modeled in game and has been there for a while. What I don't know is if that has any impact on the player as of right now.

I have heard that when your oxygen is out your pilot's response is sluggish. But I don't think the pilot passes out. But I've never had my oxygen damaged at high altitudes before. I did have my oxygen supply damaged during a low-level attack run the other day and it obviously had no effect at 3000 feet as I limped home.

Realistically, any flight above, what, 18000 feet or so should be deadly without oxygen right?

24 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Realistically, any flight above, what, 18000 feet or so should be deadly without oxygen right?

I‘d consider it as very unhealthy that could lead you to be gone upwards before you are really gone down. (If you didnt bomb any hospital, that is)

2 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

If you would know my flying, you would know it is not neccessary to simulate this:wacko::joy:

I would prefer to simulate the hypoxia effects on the virtual pilots.:biggrin:

BTW, I am all for this idea, and fear its implementing:o:

Edited by Yogiflight
  • Upvote 1

There is going to be a riot about realism on hypoxia settings like we have in physiology. 
That is the problem devs are facing adding new things. Not gratitude but complaints

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

There is going to be a riot about realism on hypoxia settings like we have in physiology. 
That is the problem devs are facing adding new things. Not gratitude but complaints

yeah, you can see the "hypoxia sux" and "hypoxia maybe a bit overdone?" posts coming

I would really like this to be implemented.

However if you turn your oxygen right after take off , will you ever ran out of oxygen? If the oxygen system is not damaged diring the flight?

I imagine every plane is different.

Hope is modeled , and as in real life, you firget to turn on your oxygen , then get hypoxia.

it could be modeled loke what its now when pilot is injured, blurry vision and and sluggish.

Pilot physiology I think is liked by the vast majority of the community.

Some People will always complain about something, that should not stop developers.

• Upvote 2

Sounds like a pretty cool idea.

You could give the pilots helium instead of oxygen, would make the radio chatter entertaining for the first time.:crazy:

• Haha 2

Nice idea.  It would be a logical progression to the recent physiological changes. 

19 hours ago, RedKestrel said:

WW1 pilots flew higher than that without oxygen.

20 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

G tolerance is reduced in game.

• Thanks 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:18 AM, US93_Furlow said:

WW1 pilots flew higher than that without oxygen.

G tolerance is reduced in game.

Read an interesting Norwegian book this Christmas called "Tyrants of the Air: Men and bombers through 100 years". Apparently the high altitude pilots before oxygen systems suffered some pretty bad injuries.

I like the idea, looks simple and I hope is not really hard to implement in the future. The new effects por the pilots are great, the devs could reuse some of them for hypoxia

On 1/10/2020 at 2:24 PM, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

yeah, you can see the "hypoxia sux" and "hypoxia maybe a bit overdone?" posts coming

DD: "Pilot will suffer from Hypoxia starting at 18000 feet, and generally passing out before 25000 feet. Here is the research we've done to support this."

Thread: "I love Hypoxia! "

OP: "Hey devs! i love this mechanic, it's great!"

Player A: "Hypoxia sucks, my pilot starts to pass out at only 12000 feet! This is absolute BS and it's just the devs telling us that we're playing the game wrong!" 

Player B: "uhh, you shouldnt be passing out at 12000 feet, Devs say that happens at 18000 feet. Post a vid?"

Player A: "well i fly IRL and can fly up to 40,000 feet without oxygen! But in this stupid game i can only fly up to 12000!" 

Player B: "then post a video, none of us are getting this issue..."

Player A: "no need video, try it urself lol"

I can see how those threads will go already :popcorm:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kataphrakt said:

"I love Hypoxia! "

I lol'ed at your post so hard, but this it's just gold... how can someone love hypoxia?!?!?? :lol: