Manoxerox

Axis for flaps up and down

Developers!!  Why there is no possibility to use axis control for flaps up/down function??

Posted (edited)

Because almost every plane we have in the game the Flaps are activated via a button or a level you hold down and not an Axis.
(many of the planes we have in the real plane you have to hold down the button or pull the lever until the flaps reached their desired spot, 
- Same goes for oil and water control on planes that did not have a wheel for this but button , switches or toggles. 
- Same goes for planes with stabilizer trim that was on a switch that had to be held down.

Or on other planes you might have only a Lever with 3 positions like on JU88 Up, Take off Flaps and Landing Flaps. (so here an axis would not work or make no sense) 
or only 1 setting Up or Full Down for Landing only. 

I see little point in an axis for flaps as the way they work on most real planes is not via such control 

Edited by =TBAS=Sschatten14

2 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

Because almost every plane we have in the game the Flaps are activated via a button or a level you hold down and not an Axis.
(many of the planes we have in the real plane you have to hold down the button or pull the lever until the flaps reached their desired spot, 
- Same goes for oil and water control on planes that did not have a wheel for this but button , switches or toggles. 
- Same goes for planes with stabilizer trim that was on a switch that had to be held down.

Or on other planes you might have only a Lever with 3 positions like on JU88 Up, Take off Flaps and Landing Flaps. (so here an axis would not work or make no sense) 
or only 1 setting Up or Full Down for Landing only. 

I see little point in an axis for flaps as the way they work on most real planes is not via such control 

Maybe you don't see it, but e.g. in Me 109 the flaps were lowered and and lifted with a wheel and that means axis in this game!!!

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Manoxerox said:

Maybe you don't see it, but e.g. in Me 109 the flaps were lowered and and lifted with a wheel and that means axis in this game!!!

Try to deploy flaps on a Bf-109 at 450Km/h IRL

Off course you won't. Air resistance won't allow you. That wheel would be really hard to move. And on a certain point is impossible Even on low speeds you can't move that wheel fast as you want...

An axis Is needed on other components like P-51 and Spitfire compensators if you have the correct hardware because that trimmer are controlled both by a wheel. A wheel wich with the buttons is are hard to control  And the trimmer of German fighters Is not the same as allied fighters. On the Bf-109 the trimmer is an stabilizer and the whole surface of elevator Is moved. So move trimmer wheel Is not that easy as well.

And what about 190 flaps and trim? You have 3 positions of Flaps and trimmer is controlled by a button. So there Is no point for axis or a sensivity on the buttons

Edited by -332FG-Ursus_
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, -332FG-Ursus_ said:

Try to deploy flaps on a Bf-109 at 450Km/h IRL

Off course you won't. Air resistance won't allow you. That wheel would be really hard to move. And on a certain point is impossible Even on low speeds you can't move that wheel fast as you want...

An axis Is needed on other components like P-51 and Spitfire compensators if you have the correct hardware because that trimmer are controlled both by a wheel. A wheel wich with the buttons is are hard to control  And the trimmer of German fighters Is not the same as allied fighters. On the Bf-109 the trimmer is an stabilizer and the whole surface of elevator Is moved. So move trimmer wheel Is not that easy as well.

And what about 190 flaps and trim? You have 3 positions of Flaps and trimmer is controlled by a button. So there Is no point for axis or a sensivity on the buttons

Who is talking about Focke-Wulf 190??  Who is talking about trimmers??  Who is talking about using flaps in combat or with high velocity??In Messerschmitt 109 the landing flaps are lowered and lifted with a wheel!!! 

6 hours ago, Manoxerox said:

Who is talking about Focke-Wulf 190??  Who is talking about trimmers??  Who is talking about using flaps in combat or with high velocity??In Messerschmitt 109 the landing flaps are lowered and lifted with a wheel!!!

Duuude. Calm down.

I'm just giving examples. 

Just think about how that wheel actually works and how an axis without propper limitations can do.

S! 

In the other sim you can put the P51D flaps on an axis. Works like a charm. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

That's right! One just have to be careful with the axis wheel or lever.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:20 PM, LLv34_Flanker said:

S! 

That's stupid cause the flaps on the P-51D have preset positions that you move a lever to. No idea how that can be translated to an axis.

10 hours ago, Peen said:

That's stupid cause the flaps on the P-51D have preset positions that you move a lever to. No idea how that can be translated to an axis.

The how is not the problem. Theoretically you can translate everything to an axis. The question is why? When it has preset positions IRL, it simply doesn't make sense to model it in game with an axis. I would never want to have the flaps or gear lever of the Ju 88 or He 111 be modelled with an axis.

To the OP, I too, would love to have the flaps of the 109 on a wheel, but the Saitek trim wheel is not built anymore, and the possibilies to exploit the flaps on an axis, so you can move your lever to a certain position and the flaps wheel in your 109 will turn until the flaps reach the wanted position, while with a button, you have to press the button, until you got the right position, together with the work it will cost the Devs, deletes this wish from my wish list. There are definitely enough more important improvements to be made.

i agree with Yogi above.

It would be like in your car you have a gear LEVEL 1,2,3,4 
Then you fit a Wheel then when its at start is first you move it roughly to 1/3 way it goes into 2nd, you move it  to 2/3 it goes into 3rd
Then by end of wheels rotation its in 4th. 

WTFH LMAO 

38 minutes ago, =TBAS=Sschatten14 said:

i agree with Yogi above.

It would be like in your car you have a gear LEVEL 1,2,3,4 
Then you fit a Wheel then when its at start is first you move it roughly to 1/3 way it goes into 2nd, you move it  to 2/3 it goes into 3rd
Then by end of wheels rotation its in 4th. 

WTFH LMAO 

Sorry, dude!  I have an automatic gear box. No need to use different levels. Just step on the gas and wipe that tear away!!  WTFH LMAO on your comment.:D 

I think that its OK to use an axis. CloD uses an axis on the Spifire even though it is a 2 position switch. You cant have a 1/2 way position so they are up or down. Some people have quite a few controllers and not being able to use them can be a bit anoying.

Thing is the team is small and time limited. 
(more people have commented on this topic on the forum then there is Devs to work on this 1 item)

2 hours to make them an axis for 1-5% of the games entire population who might use it
is 2 hours not bug fixing or fixing FM's or adding something 85% of people will use. 

2 hours? 

I can only guess it would be a lot more than that to have it fully implemented in game

Cheers, Dakpilot 

13 hours ago, Dakpilot said:

2 hours? 

I can only guess it would be a lot more than that to have it fully implemented in game

Cheers, Dakpilot 

yeah was just rando time and

i was being generous in that obviously more just example of time. 

might be 2, 4, 8 ,16 for my point it did not matter.