Sign in to follow this  
IckyATLAS

Weird Floating Smoke Effects

It happened twice to me on the Kuban Summer and Spring map. So probably this is not map dependent.

I have various fires and smoke effects in different villages or cities. These are permanents smokes and fires (static fire type of with a logic to keep them continuous) which stay active during all the mission.

They all perform perfectly as intended, (They are all pinned to the ground altitude which is variable) but once in a while, all the smokes and fires set themselves to a magic height of say 359.95 meters. All the fires and smoke effects that are in the map whatever their position on the map. This is true for the effects that I have set and not those that appear due to a bombed building or destroyed vehicles or ships. Just the one I have put and activated with the start effect MCU.

The normal sequence of events is:

You work with the ME on your mission and then you play your mission to test it. All is fine and you do not touch anything.

You play again and Bingo all your fires and smokes are flying at 395.39 mt absolute altitude. Thankfully this event is rare but still happens.

When this has happened there is no way back. If you open the ME and set again your fires and smoke effect to the ground. Then play it again and they are up in the sky.

You open your ME and see that all effects are exactly at the same altitude but this time 392.65 another magic number. Anyway it is always around 390 or so.

The only way out is deleting your effects and setting new ones on the map. Then all is fine again until the "all fire and smoke effects in the sky"  kind of hidden background ME special function kicks in.

Kind of punishment or reward for those working too much with the ME 🙂 

Anyone had this weird event already ?

I haven't had problems with smoke effects, but some unstable performance from one testing to the other involving some of my AI aircraft not following waypoints, and other commands properly.  I thought maybe it was a problem with some of my stored "groups" but I made a fresh AI element and it behaved irrationally as well.  

57 minutes ago, SCG_Neun said:

I haven't had problems with smoke effects, but some unstable performance from one testing to the other involving some of my AI aircraft not following waypoints, and other commands properly.  I thought maybe it was a problem with some of my stored "groups" but I made a fresh AI element and it behaved irrationally as well.  

Check that you do not have multiple flights on the same waypoints path. The waypoints act as first arrived first served. Once an airplane or the flight leader reaches its waypoint area the next waypoint is activated and if other plane where also to use that waypoint then they become lost and should start making turns or jumping to the next waypoint or other weird things. You can reactivate a waypoint and have loops which is nice. You can thus have vehicles and planes that can move around the loop forever or until a trigger tells them to do something different.

If you have groups with planes and waypoints all together, check that you have in the same group also what triggers the first waypoint. Links between groups get cut. 

• Upvote 2

Icky covered it.

There is no problem with waypoint logic to my knowledge.

Unfortunately this smoke effects altitude is a real problem. It comes now continuously. I don't find how to solve this problem. I get all my static fires floating around 350 meters whatever their position on the map.

Some where at 3 meters other 64 meters and others at 160 meters. And now all at 350 meters. Really a weird thing. I will post something on the bug section.