Sign in to follow this  
J2_Trupobaw

Wire hiss nausea

Hey,
With upgrade that introduced Albatros there came a "wire hiss" sound in biplanes with wire braced wings. Some people claim to not notice it, to most, it's harmless. Unfortunately, I am oversensitive to it and it causes headache, nausea, irritation, problems concentrating etc. I have verified (by switching between D.Va and D.VIIF and back) that my problem comes and goes with constant hiss. It pretty much prevents me from flying some of my most favourite WW1 planes; there is no pleasure in it and no point to do it.

I'd like to know if there are more people affected in similar way. I'm pretty sure devs won't bother with adding option to disable it if only one customer suffers from this :)

I'm also looking for ways to eliminate the hissing sound on my end. I have no experience with mixing or filtering sounds, and what I want is to eliminate the hisses while leaving other sounds unaffected. Can this be done with basic Windows 7 equaliser, and how? Are you familiar with better programs that would stay in background and let me filter  unwanted frequencies? Any ideas which frequencies to look at? I know that it's possible to make two sounds cancel each other and it's used in active noice cancelling  (waves of correcting sound are negatives of sound you want to cancel so they add to 0) - is it plausible to extract the hissing sound from the game, make its negative and just play it in a loop via winamp? Or are there simpler solutions?

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure if the Windows 7 equalizer would do the trick or even if there are channels enough for you to isolate the sound (both in the motherboard or in the game). To work with an equalizer, better to buy a cheap sound card. Creative has a good cost benefit, and depending on your motherboard, you will see a great improvement, event to listen to music or watch movies (if your headphones are on par with a sound card).

Just choose one that is compatible with Windows 10. With the release of the Windows 7, most Creative cards lost support for the bundle apps, consoles, equalizers’, etc. It was a big change and just some models survived the new platform, even the ones claiming to have "Windows 7" support. You need to do some research. Mine is a Sound Blaster X-Fi USB and it works fine both in Windows 7 and 10 (but I just use the basics, then I’m not sure if the card has any limitations with Windows 10). The equalizer has 10 channels plus some other effects and tweaks like THX.

People say that Asus has better sound cards, but they are more expensive as well. But some motherboards have Asus or Creative chips as sound interface. Never tried though.

I don't have access to the game at the moment, but there should be individual sound files for each sound, you could delete or rename the one for the "wind hiss" and the game will no longer play it.

Posted (edited)

I really haven't noticed it Trupo but if it does irritate you, for heaven's sake, do not drink any hot tea while you are playing.

(it would be embarrassing if you had to change your handle to Dickie Burns.)

Edited by J5_Klugermann
  • Haha 3

You mean *again*, Willi? I had exactly that injury back in 2017, you know. Looked like ginger root for few weeks. 

(At very least, once they gave me morphine and installed catherer, I could enjoy completly uninterrupted sleep for hours and hours. Plus, faces made by nurses were priceless. But I still wouldn't wish repeat of *that* to anyone)

On 1/5/2020 at 9:58 PM, J28w-Broccoli said:

Take off your headphones.  Use your speakers.

Can't do that, wife and daughter sleep five feet from my cockpit. 

On 1/6/2020 at 12:38 AM, SeaW0lf said:

I'm not sure if the Windows 7 equalizer would do the trick or even if there are channels enough for you to isolate the sound (both in the motherboard or in the game). To work with an equalizer, better to buy a cheap sound card. Creative has a good cost benefit, and depending on your motherboard, you will see a great improvement, event to listen to music or watch movies (if your headphones are on par with a sound card).

Just choose one that is compatible with Windows 10. With the release of the Windows 7, most Creative cards lost support for the bundle apps, consoles, equalizers’, etc. It was a big change and just some models survived the new platform, even the ones claiming to have "Windows 7" support. You need to do some research. Mine is a Sound Blaster X-Fi USB and it works fine both in Windows 7 and 10 (but I just use the basics, then I’m not sure if the card has any limitations with Windows 10). The equalizer has 10 channels plus some other effects and tweaks like THX.

People say that Asus has better sound cards, but they are more expensive as well. But some motherboards have Asus or Creative chips as sound interface. Never tried though.

I have an old Creative card buried in my old PC. I remember it came with impressive suite of effects you could add.

At the moment, I have used Windows equaliser, set it to "Bass" preset then turned highest frequencies further down. It's not what I wanted yet, but makes the problem managable.

1 hour ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

Understandable.  Does it persist when you use your speakers though?

10 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

At the moment, I have used Windows equaliser, set it to "Bass" preset then turned highest frequencies further down. It's not what I wanted yet, but makes the problem managable.

It is probably not a good idea to increase the low frequency sound, they are known to cause the symptoms you have described .

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/026309239000900403?journalCode=lfna

On 1/7/2020 at 2:45 PM, J2_Trupobaw said:

I never knew they added the Gotha to FC! 

• Haha 1

Equalizer APO is great for adjusting the sound you are hearing. Runs in the background and can be assigned to any audio output you'd like. I use it specifically to beef up the sound from my Odyssey+ headset headphones. You should be able to find the frequency of the wires with a high q setting (boost it first and sweep up and down until its very loud) then cut this frequency with the same Q setting. Fixed.  

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Equalizer APO is great for adjusting the sound you are hearing. Runs in the background and can be assigned to any audio output you'd like. I use it specifically to beef up the sound from my Odyssey+ headset headphones. You should be able to find the frequency of the wires with a high q setting (boost it first and sweep up and down until its very loud) then cut this frequency with the same Q setting. Fixed.  

https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

That looks much more powerful than defult Windows equaliser, and should be exactly what I need. Can't wait to try it. Thank you!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, J2_Trupobaw said:

That looks much more powerful than defult Windows equaliser, and should be exactly what I need. Can't wait to try it. Thank you!

👍 No problemo!