zdog0331

Pacific may come yet. Does anyone speak japanese

There seems to be a lack of understanding in this thread of the actual issue (or one of the actual issues that isn’t engine related, which is another matter)

The manuals are written in technical Japanese, this is not the same thing as the Japanese you learned in school, or that your wife speaks, or that your friend knows etc etc.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

There seems to be a lack of understanding in this thread of the actual issue (or one of the actual issues that isn’t engine related, which is another matter)

The manuals are written in technical Japanese, this is not the same thing as the Japanese you learned in school, or that your wife speaks, or that your friend knows etc etc.

Wrong....wifes know everything!

Now go and take out the trash from He111, and buy milk on the way back!

Well there must be someone able to translate those manuals, also no need to translate whole manuals as we don't have interactive clickpits and many systems aren't managable.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

This is a fascinating thread. It starts with a vague assertion that 'files which include a lot of the data necessary for a pacific theater' exist, though there are difficulties with translation. And ends with a claim that 'these manuals' ''must' be translatable. What 'manuals'? Who said there were 'manuals'?

There seems to be a general tendency amongst those not familiar with working with actual primary-source material that 'declassified documents' in archives will always contain exactly what you want to know (see e.g. an earlier discussion on Winkle Brown's testing of the Me 262), and that all is needed is to access the files, and all will be revealed. Reality isn't like that. Archives are incomplete. Documents get misfiled, lost, or simply thrown away. Or no doubt, in the case of Japan, destroyed in the chaos of war. Even ignoring the difficulties with translation (which I suspect is a darned sight more significant than some here seem to think), so far we don't have anything to indicate that the needed data is even in the newly-released material. And come to think of it, the developers haven't actually told us which specific material they are looking for.

There may well be useful material available. Finding it, and then translating it into anything the developers could use, is however likely to be the sort of job that would require a historical researcher with a rather exotic combination of skills. And until such a researcher looks at the material, any speculation about its utility to 1C-777 seems premature.

• Upvote 3

All wishfull thinking. Maybe in 2022 we might know more. Eastfront 44/45 seems more likely to me as a follow up to BoN though.

10 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

This.

I'm part Japanese, but my Nihongo is limited to ordering ramen and tempura whenever I'm in Japan. My sister, on the other hand, lives and is a school teacher there. Still, I doubt that she'll be able to translate even a portion of those wartime manuals. Language evolution and technical military jargon will prove their translation very difficult. 

Edited by BP_Lizard
  • Upvote 3

The silence from devs is  telling us very loudly that they have no feasible hope to deliver PTO. 
Whatever it is that make them think they cant deliver is more than one thing, or the one thing is too expensive to achieve. 
Either they are awaiting to see if they can come to a point to achieve that thing, or they await to the point the community itself have concluded it not going to happen

• Upvote 2

I really hope it's not No2 option...

Not only becasue I would like to see PTO BoX. But becasue I think it's their responsability to clear things off. They said they wanted to go there. They said they would postpone it, they said if people wanted to see it done, best option was to suport the game (wich I did, and would have done even if PTO was never an option). They said they would give more info afther BoBp release, so I think it's only fair that they give us the last word, not just our asumption.

By the way, I'm not complaining about not getting PTO, I just think an official word would be the right thing to do.  

If given a choice I would probably pick MTO over PTO

Edited by =FEW=fernando11
  • Upvote 1

Personally, I'm not taking the lack of a definitive statement from the developers on this question as evidence of anything beyond them having a well-deserved holiday. And quite possibly not being able to answer the question themselves. The final decision as to what gets developed, and when, isn't likely to be made solely by Jason and his team: such products need cash up front, and those providing it will also have a say. Probably the most important one.

And furthermore, I can't see the developers coming out with a statement to the effect that 'we are never going to do the Pacific'. Why rule out the possibility, even if it is a distant one? They have told us what is coming next (WW2-wise, at least), and have little to gain by making speculative comments about what might be happening beyond that time. Far too often, comments from Jason etc concerning things they'd 'like to do' have been turned into 'promises' by forum members keen to over-interpret every word. People would do better to assume that until the developers start asking us for cash for a specific product, anything else is an aspiration. That's the way the market for most things goes, and there really isn't any good reason to treat these products as an exception. The Ford  Motor Company will tell you what this year's models will look like. They may give an indication of next year's model. They aren't going to give you a complete breakdown of their product range from now until 2030 though...

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

I really hope it's not No2 option...

Not only becasue I would like to see PTO BoX. But becasue I think it's their responsability to clear things off. They said they wanted to go there. They said they would postpone it, they said if people wanted to see it done, best option was to suport the game (wich I did, and would have done even if PTO was never an option). They said they would give more info afther BoBp release, so I think it's only fair that they give us the last word, not just our asumption.

By the way, I'm not complaining about not getting PTO, I just think an official word would be the right thing to do.  

If given a choice I would probably pick MTO over PTO

I'd like to hear about it too but maybe they have nothing to say.

Maybe BoN was natural and logic decision to go after BoBp so they didn't even think or discussed PTO as next expansion.

8 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

I'm part Japanese, but my Nihongo is limited to ordering ramen and tempura whenever I'm in Japan. My sister, on the other hand, lives and is a school teacher there. Still, I doubt that she'll be able to translate even a portion of those wartime manuals. Language evolution and technical military jargon will prove their translation very difficult. 

Well, I'm a 100% non-Japanese, but my Nihongo goes far above ordering stuff at the restaurant and what's been taught at Japanese schools for Gaijin. :)

I have been doing technical translations into/from Japanese for the last 25 years or so, mostly related to mechanical engineering. I think you're right with the Japanese language evolution, though. Nowadays technical Japanese is using a host of English terms, so-called Katakana Nihongo. In this respect I fear that any of those old manuals would probably be much more difficult to translate. But I don't know for sure, as I haven't read any of them yet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

I'd like to hear about it too but maybe they have nothing to say.

Maybe BoN was natural and logic decision to go after BoBp so they didn't even think or discussed PTO as next expansion.

What I understood when they announced bobp was that they needed more time getting to PTO and they announced that tank thing and FC too. 
This was as I understood it to get recourses and  time for development on PTO. This was the reason I bought all thise packs and gifted a lot more. 
I take full responsibility for my purchases, but they where a so called financial road to PTO. 
This is why I do not see BON as a natural and logic way to go, without clarifying what is going on concerning PTO. 
That said I bought BON because I like the planes in that pack, that is the difference to my purchase of bobp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gretsch_Man said:

Well, I'm a 100% non-Japanese, but my Nihongo goes far above ordering stuff at the restaurant and what's been taught at Japanese schools for Gaijin. :)

I have been doing technical translations into/from Japanese for the last 25 years or so, mostly related to mechanical engineering. I think you're right with the Japanese language evolution, though. Nowadays technical Japanese is using a host of English terms, so-called Katakana Nihongo. In this respect I fear that any of those old manuals would probably be much more difficult to translate. But I don't know for sure, as I haven't read any of them yet.

From one guitar dude to another, I’d say that that’s really awesome! I’m really looking forward to the day when 777/1C start tapping people with expertise such as yours. I really want the Pacific warbirds so badly.

Aren't there any japanese enthusiasts around?

I'm quite confident, there are some old farts (TM) who have been collecting stuff over several decades, that can read technical Japanese.

Finding them might be a challenge, but I hardly believe there's nobody around who couldn't be of any help.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, BP_Lizard said:

From one guitar dude to another

Oh, so I'm not the only one here?! :drinks: