Gordo73

Hotas Settings Not Applied?

Posted (edited)

Hello,

Trying to configure BoS purchased from Steam with my Thrustmaster FCS Hotas on Windows 10 (not using Target software, doing this all in-game). Just finished binding everything in key mappings, but they don't seem to be applied when I load a quick mission to test them.

Everything looks correct in settings - joystick and throttle are recognized without issue, and the bindings show as correct. But it seems to apply some kind of default / random scheme. For example, I've got several engine controls bound to a throttle side hat, but in-game it activates flaps and landing gear. The buttons on my stick bound for flaps and gears do nothing. I've got my trigger and a nearby stick button bound to fire weapons group 1 and 2 respectively, but when used in-game they change the camera view. I have trackir, so I unbound the camera controls from the stick, and confirmed they're bound to fire correctly, but now they do nothing.

My throttle control wasn't working at all even though it's recognized and bound. I unbound and rebound it several times and it started working, but the rest is still all wonky. No issues with the Hotas in any of my other sims, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Gordo73
Meant to post this in the Great Battles forum, sorry

7 hours ago, Gordo73 said:

Hello,

Trying to configure BoS purchased from Steam with my Thrustmaster FCS Hotas on Windows 10 (not using Target software, doing this all in-game). Just finished binding everything in key mappings, but they don't seem to be applied when I load a quick mission to test them.

Everything looks correct in settings - joystick and throttle are recognized without issue, and the bindings show as correct. But it seems to apply some kind of default / random scheme. For example, I've got several engine controls bound to a throttle side hat, but in-game it activates flaps and landing gear. The buttons on my stick bound for flaps and gears do nothing. I've got my trigger and a nearby stick button bound to fire weapons group 1 and 2 respectively, but when used in-game they change the camera view. I have trackir, so I unbound the camera controls from the stick, and confirmed they're bound to fire correctly, but now they do nothing.

My throttle control wasn't working at all even though it's recognized and bound. I unbound and rebound it several times and it started working, but the rest is still all wonky. No issues with the Hotas in any of my other sims, so I don't think it's a hardware issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Be sure, your Hotas combo is "empty" and that there are not any programmed keys stored in it. I don't have your combo, but used

to have the older ones and they all had a small memory chip, where your key bindings and macros were stored.

So, that said, maybe even if you don't use the TARGET software, there might be some keys bound. You can do a simple test:

Open a new simple text file with the Notepad and check every button/switch of your combo. If all your buttons are really "empty",

then you shouldn't see anything written in your text file. If you see some letters, well then you need to "purge" your device using

the TARGET software.

Finally check in your game, that in the key mapping you don't have redundant keys mapped. If a key has a multiple function, you

will see a small orange square in the field. Hoover over the orange square and you will see what bindings are active for this key.

Cheerio

• Thanks 1

@-=-THERION Thank you very much for the info! I'm about to head to work, but will try this when I get home.

you got that all squared away? make sure you don't have key bindings set to more than one command (will show up in settings as little orange squares which if you click on htem  will tell you what is being duplicated. try my control setup video to bind stuff to your keyboard as well.

Edited by =AAA=ColNinny
addition
  • Thanks 1

@=AAA=ColNinny Yes, Thanks! I accidentally posted this in the Cliffs of Dover forum, couldn't figure out how to delete it (true noob here lol), and made a new post in the Great Battles forum, where I left a reply. I should have also left it here, in case someone dealing with the same issue stumbles upon this in the future. I'll paste it below -

"

Thanks for the advice Therion!

Think I've finally got this one solved. Tried the notepad experiment with the stick and throttle, no characters appeared, but it did turn the cursor from blinking to solid, so it definitely registered something.

Ended up uninstalling and re-installing, but upon re-install the settings from before were still there, so I must have missed a config that needed to be deleted by hand. Went poking around in the /data/input directory, and found (among other things) "devices.txt" which seems to assign a device id of 0 to my stick and 1 to my throttle, but in the in-game settings the stick was id'ed as 1 and the throttle as 2. Tried remapping and the correct id's were applied this time, and it looks like everything works now.

No idea what caused this, but glad I can finally start flying!

"