WindWpn

DCS Moving to the Pacific!!!

1 hour ago, ZachariasX said:

It‘s a pretty damn small map. I‘m honestly not very impressed by getting the same flat napkin over and over again. Yes, it has more colors since Their Finest Hour, but you cannot do thing you couldn’t do back then. In that price range, that‘s not what you want for 2020. For that price.

And yes, they are great in making screenshots and even way more great in making videos.

But looking at FS2020, this looks like Pong.

Yeah, but it's Pong with 2000lb laser guided bombs.

Viva la difference! :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanadaOne said:

Yeah, but it's Pong with 2000lb laser guided bombs.

Image result for dr evil

• Haha 4

It‘ does look great for making screenies and to get to know and operate your plane. But that is about it.

The fact that they get away will selling „maps“ instead of a place on a world is probably telling as much about us as customer demographics as it tells about business rationale.

While I remain deeply impressed about some of their modules (I own most of their offerings), over time I get less and less tolerant to the game not providing in the very least a world that we live in. If you care about the look of airfields or about balconies on city buildings, clearly, there is little difference and I see it looks pretty there. But for everything else, you get sort of the real looks only with cheats. What is worst, they like dawn and dusk screenies. It makes for nice colors. Too bad you can never get that right on a flat napkin. It‘s simple geometry. The same geometry that makes all ingame maps differing from actual distances.

You can put as many nice textures and shadings on the Pong bars. It still is Pong.

EDIT: I‘m trying to imagine the crowds reaction is MS came up with grand screenies of MS2020 and then on a footnote mentioning that everything you see is taking place on flat 0.25 mio. km2 maps.

Edited by ZachariasX

11 hours ago, Picchio said:

:fool:

I'm sure that flat earthlings from all around the globe have different priorities than I have in what makes a beautiful map. But it's just this:

flatearth.thumb.jpg.510c29db92d3c9dcf54e03e7110939c1.jpg

I do acknowlegde however that when being creative, that napkin offers unlimited possibilities, you could even simulate an Apollo mission. Here:

Spoiler

ap11.thumb.jpg.acb5109113a76f6a635353bb6e881534.jpg

It's just not my cup of tea. YMMV.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ZachariasX said:

It‘ does look great for making screenies and to get to know and operate your plane. But that is about it.

The fact that they get away will selling „maps“ instead of a place on a world is probably telling as much about us as customer demographics as it tells about business rationale.

While I remain deeply impressed about some of their modules (I own most of their offerings), over time I get less and less tolerant to the game not providing in the very least a world that we live in. If you care about the look of airfields or about balconies on city buildings, clearly, there is little difference and I see it looks pretty there. But for everything else, you get sort of the real looks only with cheats. What is worst, they like dawn and dusk screenies. It makes for nice colors. Too bad you can never get that right on a flat napkin. It‘s simple geometry. The same geometry that makes all ingame maps differing from actual distances.

You can put as many nice textures and shadings on the Pong bars. It still is Pong.

EDIT: I‘m trying to imagine the crowds reaction is MS came up with grand screenies of MS2020 and then on a footnote mentioning that everything you see is taking place on flat 0.25 mio. km2 maps.

You have me curious now - what isn't Pong?

And what is a "place on a world" as opposed to a map?

You have me curious now - what isn't Pong?

ping.jpg

And what is a "place on a world" as opposed to a map?

Ok. Let's go through the semantics of it. I take the example above, where I selected Madagascar as a battleground to finally provide a battle for this series where Great Britain can bomb its arch enemy France without any German encroachment whatsoever. (We could have Lysanders for that one!)

mad.jpg.cc7a72f98ac7efd3aee02ecb411032f6.jpg

You can see that Madagascar is a certain place on earth. In terms of a simulator, it would represent the scenery. It could (and would!) have a higher LOD then the rest of the globe. The map however is just that, a flat projection of a certain place on earth at more or less eqial LOD. Whether the scale is 1:20'000 or 1:1 is plain arbitary, it remains a flat projection. This flat projection may or may not contain a relief. Either way, it is just a map. And no scenery. You can see that a map in no way whatsoever resembles our world.

Sitting on that flat napkin instead of a round world will give you a greatly altered perspective and different lightning than you have on a round one.

There is of course a good reason to opt for a map instead of a scenery for a flight simulator. If it's for instance the year 1983, and all you can draw are 100 objects. Then those objects would be so close to each other that your play pen is small enough to not differ noticeably from what it would be if it was a scenery on a globe (of equal little detail). Also you do not have the colors to really reflect correct lightning, hence even that problem is no issue. We see, then, all is fine. And thus we get used to those "maps".

But now, we can draw so many things, so far out that what was a workable short cut to make things work simply makes any real depiction impossible. Even worse, it limits basic gameplay in a grotesque manner. In 1983, nobody would take a real map to navigate in a computer game. In 2020, it's different. Yet some still produce environments where it is not possible to make maps such that they match the real world.

As long as the play pen can be kept small due to slow moving actors, it is a tolerable deficit. But it begins to show. Also just being able to load one "map" limits your gameplay in a most severe manner, only rivalled by "just being able to load one plane type oer mission". How would you like that?

Great Battles Series spwaned from a wery small home brew project and you can clearly see that in such things. For Rise of Flight, it was an easy choice to be a flat earther. It makes the map/mission editor simpler, everything on that map was hand drawn anyway. Who could have thought back then what it would mature into? I think Neoqb can be forgiven for such. But a company like ED redoing their entire sim engine and... stay with the napkin? Just gaga. It was the decision to never produce a true flight simulator. Simulating planes seem to be good enough.

Even more hilarious is people defending that flat napkin, when there is actually no upside whatsoever to it. It is not like that we have 455 FPS because it is flat. As if you said for any shooter game, binary space partitioning is the best and we should NEVER do different, as we can do without odd angles and inside is better anyway.

Canada has legalised dope and napkins?    Holy sh@t the sky will surely fall!🤪.                                      

Oh yeah,  perhaps I dreamt this but   I’m sure Han has stated in the past that the maps are placed on a globe otherwise they wouldn’t have been able to model the curvature of the earth.....

22 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Canada has legalised dope and napkins?    Holy sh@t the sky will surely fall!🤪.                                      

Oh yeah,  perhaps I dreamt this but   I’m sure Han has stated in the past that the maps are placed on a globe otherwise they wouldn’t have been able to model the curvature of the earth.....

Of all Combat flight sims out there today, only Cliffs of Dover modeled the maps as part of a globe. All other combat flight sims are using flat maps. 

That and the great lighting engine gave the early cLOD such a realistic look....Then, after Oleg left, Ilya got his dirty boots and color blind programmers, in the lighting engine and turned everything in a gray murky mess, with cheap HDR in place of lighting engine. 😭

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Jaws2002 said:

....Then, after Oleg left, Ilya got his dirty boots and color blind programmers, in the lighting engine and turned everything in a gray murky mess, with cheap HDR in place of lighting engine. 😭

Was that the second patch issued after the initial release? 

I seem to remember a vain attempt to raise fps and overall 'fluidity' by dipping the game in a large vat of human urine.  A yellow, murky mess.

But I still 'seem' to remember Han saying they modelled a globe.  Was it during the Q & A session he did with Jason?

I'm prepared to admit I might be talking out of my backside.:)  I wonder if lukeff  knows?

Edited by DD_Arthur

23 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Was that the second patch issued after the initial release? 

I seem to remember a vain attempt to raise fps and overall 'fluidity' by dipping the game in a large vat of human urine.  A yellow, murky mess.

Yep. something like that. It wasn't only about fps.   He wanted to create the "English smog" and ruined all the game for it. When Team Fusion took over the game I had high hopes to see that gorgeous lighting engine brought back to the game, but With time i realized the guys in charge of how the game looks are more interested in old photos and old gun camera footage, than how the real world actually looks.

23 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

But I still 'seem' to remember Han saying they modelled a globe.  Was it during the Q & A session he did with Jason?

I'm prepared to admit I might be talking out of my backside.:)  I wonder if lukeff  knows?

Nope. This game is using flat maps.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1

That's some fancy flying. :cool:

I haven't got anywhere near that in the Huey. Getting better with the Harrier though. Had one of those good news/bad news/good news flights yesterday. The good news was I hover landed onto a carrier. The bad news was I landed too hard and the plane caught fire. But the good news is I slid off the carrier into the sea and the water put the fire out.

Maybe some Huey action later.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I do love me a Huey - wop wop wop wop wop wop.

Need an Indochina map though or my interest drops below the floor boards.

The Huey sound is really cool.

I still suck at landing though. :angry:

5 hours ago, DD_Crash said:

This was on the DCS website

NSSGrey
10 points
·
1 day ago
Dear Sir, we will make a WWII version of Marianas and it will be free. Many thanks for your support and passion. Kind regards Nick

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260686

Nice.

The supercarrier is available for pre-order, but not on Steam.

Supposed to be another sale on Steam soon. Might grab another plane. :biggrin:

15 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

The supercarrier is available for pre-order, but not on Steam.

Supposed to be another sale on Steam soon. Might grab another plane. :biggrin:

I got it for 24.99 as I already own the Hornet.

DCS Supercarrier for a mere 25 USD makes it sheer impossible not to get it ! 🙂

13 minutes ago, simfan2015 said:

Impossible? I think not.

1 hour ago, Archie said:

I got it for 24.99 as I already own the Hornet.

I might get the Hornet just to be able to use the carrier.

I'm not much on the complexity of the F-18, but bad weather and night landings on a carrier might be too much fun to pass on.

47 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I'm not much on the complexity of the F-18, but bad weather and night landings on a carrier might be too much fun to pass on.

Why not the Tomcat? 

A very nice plane and not as complex as the Hornet

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, 9./JG27golani79 said:

Why not the Tomcat? 

A very nice plane and not as complex as the Hornet

I tried the Tomcat when it was free for the weekend. The eye candy on that plane is absolutely top shelf, and it was heavy on my FFB stick, which I really like. But I'm a ground pounder at heart.

Mind you, landing that freight car F-14 on a carrier must be a riot, and the FM on the F-18 is said to be very light on the stick, which I don't like. So you may be right.

Yeah the F14 is the best module to date IMO.Just wish I had more time to learn it.

7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

The Tomcat is easier to land than the Hornet, the Hornet's engines aren't as responsive as the Cat's.

Both are very good fun and very different from each other. Using the Hornet for SAM suppression with HARM's (looking forward to getting HARM's in my F16) and Mavericks is very satisfying, as is shooting planes down with the Phoenix at ridiculous ranges with the Tomcat🤣

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

On 1/15/2020 at 1:39 AM, CanadaOne said:

The Huey sound is really cool.

I still suck at landing though. :angry:

Flying choppers with a regular sim joy stick require a technique not common for chopper flying. Also doing it without a collective. 
I have a proper chopper hardware and the good thing about DCS is your choices in hardware interface can make all setup work. 
Landing a huey no matter equipment in a proper way is not hard if you spend time training on it. If you do not have that time available, do not be too hard on yourself, just aim to not die on every landing. 

5 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Flying choppers with a regular sim joy stick require a technique not common for chopper flying. Also doing it without a collective. 
I have a proper chopper hardware and the good thing about DCS is your choices in hardware interface can make all setup work. 
Landing a huey no matter equipment in a proper way is not hard if you spend time training on it. If you do not have that time available, do not be too hard on yourself, just aim to not die on every landing. 

I don't die every landing. :angry:

But the Huey does. :biggrin:

I'm having a hard time landing that thing, but I'm getting almost good with the Harrier. Even pulled off a few carrier landings. That **** is fun!

12 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

I don't die every landing. :angry:

But the Huey does. :biggrin:

I'm having a hard time landing that thing, but I'm getting almost good with the Harrier. Even pulled off a few carrier landings. That **** is fun!

Well I am taking a break from GB and planning to pick up on the Harrier. It seems you are ahead of me on it

1 hour ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

Well I am taking a break from GB and planning to pick up on the Harrier. It seems you are ahead of me on it

It's a lot of fun! Good ground pounder, fast, and a decent payload. Still having trouble with some/many systems.

The Grim Reapers tutorial videos on youtube are a big help.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:21 PM, DD_Crash said:

This was on the DCS website

NSSGrey
10 points
·
1 day ago
Dear Sir, we will make a WWII version of Marianas and it will be free. Many thanks for your support and passion. Kind regards Nick

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=260686

I see there are now 7 pages of comment in the above forum, following Nick Greys' pledge to make a WWII version of the Marianas map

On 1/18/2020 at 11:05 AM, simfan2015 said:

Yeah I certainly grabbed it.

Looking forward to flying the Hornet off of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Yeah I certainly grabbed it.

Looking forward to flying the Hornet off of it.

Still waiting for the sale to hit Steam. No carrier pre-order there, but still. Might bag another plane.

And last night were my first (successful) nighttime rough seas high winds VTOL landings on a carrier. Damn good fun! I'm going to have a hard time passing on that fancy new supercarrier.

• Like 1