chiliwili69

Which VR device do you use? (Jan-2020 Poll)

Which VR headset? (Jan-2020 poll)  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which VR headset? (Jan-2020 poll)

• HTC Vive
    • Oculus Rift (CV1)
    • WMR (1st gen 2017: Dell, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, HP)
    • WMR Samsung Odyssey or Odyssey+
    • HTC VivePro
    • Pimax5K+, Pimax8K, Pimax5K XR
    • WMR HP Reverb
    • Oculus Rift-S
    • Valve Index
    • Acer OJO 500
    • Oculus Quest (via PC link)

Posted (edited)

I created a poll for that about 10 months ago, before all new headsets were released.

I believe many people upgraded to new devices but older votes cannot be changed in old polls, so here the new poll.

If you have more than one VR-device choose the one you play most with IL-2 VR.

BTW, If you are in IL-2 VR (or not) please vote in this poll as well:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/57455-why-you-are-not-still-in-vr-in-2020/

Edited by chiliwili69

I assume the question is which are we using?

I see can only pick one, I actually use two myself.

I am looking for my next VR headset so hopefully the poll will give me a bit of a steer.

Using my OG Odyssey. Probably not going to upgrade till next year. New Pimax 8KX seems interesting (finally good resolution + good FoV) but will require top notch new PC. What I have learned with Odyssey is to stay away from WMR.

• Upvote 1

Had Oculus CV1, Odyssey Had good experience with this one, didn't like the controllers after having the Oculus. Now I am using Pimax 5k+, amazing after latest updates in Pitool and Steam VR 

Posted (edited)

Of the late contenders, I went through Rift S, Reverb, Index, and Pimax5K+. 

The Reverb was broken on arrival and there was no replacement available at the time. The initial Pimax 5K+ went to RMA once, so I got a taste of the Rift S - best software package you can get. The Index was good all around but returned, because it has the same picture quality as 5K+ without the FOV. Use Index Controllers with the Pimax 5K+ now. Index HMD was like a car that doesn't do anything bad, but nothing good as well - without character. Once you go Pimax (and set it up correctly, peek at my Signature's link), you cannot go back.

8KX is ordered.

P.S. Only buy headsets from Pimax, no Controllers or Basestations, or you'll end up hating like some of the 2017 backers you'll find spitting hate in every comment section about it.😉

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Posted (edited)

I went ahead and cast mine for Rift S as one can not pick two as I mentioned earlier.

However I have been using both - Rift S and Quest with Link off and on. Just depends on other games I might happen to be playing that day.

If I happen to be playing a game I like better on Quest Link, I will just leave it hooked up for the day and use it with IL-2 as well.

But overall I use the Rift S with IL-2 more than the Quest Link.

Edited by dburne

I’ve just recently become a vr user as of  Jan 31 2019...

first time user and found the odessey plus on sale for $299!

vr is insane...  for IL2, I’m still working out the settings to get it visually pleasing (reading these forums thoroughly to find out why clouds and everything in the distance is choppy) and FPS stable, but just being able to actually sit in these ships is mind blasting!🤯

• Upvote 1

VR Device?

VR Setup!

HP Reverb, Used Car Chair (mounted on wooden base), Saitek X52Pro Throttle & Gladiator MKII, Saitek Rudders (not the best but I like the food spacing), Set of Screw Clamps (Guess for yourself), Nvidia 1080Ti, 3600x, Quality Headphones

What is missing for the next step? Need to have a look at some of my cloth to emulate a pilot's suit. Or do some shopping 🙂

Most important for VR is not the resolution and the FPS, should have known it already from race car simming.

Most important for your VR experience: Put your controls (Seat Postion, Stick, Throttle, Rudder in the right position in the virtual world for example with a set of srew clamps. This is not secondary to your experience, this is of outmost importance, you will experience VR like never before if the stick and throttle is exactly at the right place and the rudders and your seat position resemble the position in the emulated plane. Once rebuild my office in VR, unbelievable if you can touch everything in the virtual world. Same thing is true for driving and flight sims.  

Today I received my Gladiator MK II and used the opportuinity to setup my virtual 109 controls with my home built racing car seat and the screw clamps. Amazing flight feeling.

52 minutes ago, Gomoto said:

This is not secondary to your experience, this is of outmost importance

Yeah, quite right!

I was talking about the importance of that here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gomoto said:

Saitek X52Pro Throttle & Gladiator MKII, Saitek Rudders (not the best but I like the food spacing), 

🙂

Gomoto,  flight and car simming is expensive, but please let me donate you a plate so you don't have to eat off your rudder pedals anymore.. 

Cheers, Dakpilot 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

I had a CV1 and upgrade to the Rift S.

I'm really really happy with my Rift S purchase.  Picture quality is a nice improvement over the CV1, it's comfortable, it's a breeze to setup and use and the Oculus library of games can't be beat in addition to flying in IL-2.

I also have a Quest but I've not tried the link cable with it.  I don't see the point as I already have a Rift S for my PC-VR and the Rift S is a more comfortable headset to boot with better resolution than Quest + Link cable.

But I love both the Rift S and Quest as headsets and what they can do.

Edited by AuburnAlumni
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, AuburnAlumni said:

I had a CV1 and upgrade to the Rift S.

I'm really really happy with my Rift S purchase.  Picture quality is a nice improvement over the CV1, it's comfortable, it's a breeze to setup and use and the Oculus library of games can't be beat in addition to flying in IL-2.

I also have a Quest but I've not tried the link cable with it.  I don't see the point as I already have a Rift S for my PC-VR and the Rift S is a more comfortable headset to boot with better resolution than Quest + Link cable.

But I love both the Rift S and Quest as headsets and what they can do.

Technically the Quest has a little higher native resolution than the Rift S.

I use Rift S for most games, however I do use Quest with Link for some darker games I have as they look better to me in the Quest.

Had a DK2 and then Odyssey +

Odyssey doesn't stay centered on eyes when checking six dues to head band which also made is uncomfortable to wear for more then one flight at a time. Sent it back, however I'm replacing it with something. Just haven't decided if that's an index, reverb or 5k+. One thing I'm sure of is I don't want a halo style headache band.

Bought Reverb a week ago (my first and only VR set). Still cannot get over how awe-inspiring all those plane cockpits are. I thought that "being there" was just a figure of speech. Not anymore. 

4 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Bought Reverb a week ago (my first and only VR set). Still cannot get over how awe-inspiring all those plane cockpits are. I thought that "being there" was just a figure of speech. Not anymore. 

:good:

It is amazing isn't it - I am blown away every flight still.

12 hours ago, driftaholic said:

Just haven't decided if that's an index, reverb or 5k+

I made some reviews of then in this subforum:

But note that some of the issues I had with the Pimax5K (distorsion in edges, performance) has been eventually solved.

What I know for sure is that with any of the three headset you mention you will be really pleased.

8 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

"being there"

Yeah!, "being there" is the two words that best describe the experience.

After a 1-2 hour session, doing some missions, it is strange to come back to reality and have dinner with the family in the kitchen,  just thinking, I have just been flying over the frozen Stalingrad some minutes ago, very close to be killed! and now I am just having dinner at home.

• Thanks 1

HI all,

I'm looking to upgrade my pc which is now 4 years old, and still running an nvidia 980ti card powering a BenQ 32" 4K monitor, and I will be upping this first. I want to go VR, as I love flight sims, but struggle with keyboard 'headturning'.

I keep scouring reviews, and was initially impressed with Pimax 8K (but not with the price!). Right now, I'm down to a compromise, in the form of the HP Reverb.

All of my VR will be playing seated games, flying aircraft or spaceships (Elite Dangerous), and I've been using HOTAS now for a few years without issues. I'd appreciate any feedback as to Reverb performance, but also if anyone has any strong feelings about other VR sets that would do me proud? Thanks to all that reply, in advance!

Looking forward to getting into Flying Circus in a big way!

3 hours ago, Runnybabbit said:

HI all,

I'm looking to upgrade my pc which is now 4 years old, and still running an nvidia 980ti card powering a BenQ 32" 4K monitor, and I will be upping this first. I want to go VR, as I love flight sims, but struggle with keyboard 'headturning'.

I keep scouring reviews, and was initially impressed with Pimax 8K (but not with the price!). Right now, I'm down to a compromise, in the form of the HP Reverb.

All of my VR will be playing seated games, flying aircraft or spaceships (Elite Dangerous), and I've been using HOTAS now for a few years without issues. I'd appreciate any feedback as to Reverb performance, but also if anyone has any strong feelings about other VR sets that would do me proud? Thanks to all that reply, in advance!

Looking forward to getting into Flying Circus in a big way!

Very happy with my Rift S.

Using it daily.

• Like 1

I used the Vive Pro, Oculus Rift and Odyssey Plus.....even the PS VR for my PS4. Now I use the HP Reverb and for me it is the best HMD which I had till now. I have not tried the Index or Pimax till today.

I am still happy with the Reverb, it is even not at full SS Resolution in SteamVR, so there is still room for improvement, but my PC Hardware is limiting the Resolution of my Reverb

i7-8700k  32Gb DDR4 RAM  and a GTX-1808Ti 11Gb

• Like 1

16 hours ago, spitfirejoe said:

I used the Vive Pro, Oculus Rift and Odyssey Plus.....even the PS VR for my PS4. Now I use the HP Reverb and for me it is the best HMD which I had till now. I have not tried the Index or Pimax till today.

I am still happy with the Reverb, it is even not at full SS Resolution in SteamVR, so there is still room for improvement, but my PC Hardware is limiting the Resolution of my Reverb

i7-8700k  32Gb DDR4 RAM  and a GTX-1808Ti 11Gb

Thanks dburne for your input, much appreciated. I've tried the Rift S on my friends set-up, and that is what got me interested in the first place. As my purchase will probably be (given my age of 64 and finances available) a one off, I will try to go for the best available that my budget allows..

Thanks for your comments spitfirejoe. You are confirming what I've come to believe from scouring reviews on different sites, that I will probably be best off with a HP Reverb.

I think I'll be able to get away with just upgrading the gpu card, rather than the whole thing, as I have an I-7 cpu on a Asus Z-170 motherboard, with the whole thing overclocked to 4.6, running smoothly. In the meantime, I should still be able to run a Reverb on slightly lower settings (as you have done) on my 980ti card.

The other reason I'm keen to get this done, is the hope that Cliffs of Dover will be successful with the impending upgrade, and that it will pave the way for them to code the game for VR as well. Fingers crossed!

What CPU do you have? I suspect you may need to shoot for “half FPS” mode, which the Oculus Rift S does really quite well. Reverb is a nice headset but you will (eventually, doesn’t have to be day 1) need a beefy PC to match.

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

What CPU do you have? I suspect you may need to shoot for “half FPS” mode, which the Oculus Rift S does really quite well. Reverb is a nice headset but you will (eventually, doesn’t have to be day 1) need a beefy PC to match.

It's an Intel Core i7-6700K running at 4.6Ghz

The ASUS Z170 board is Skylake PCH-H architecture.

Memory is 16 GBytes Dual channel.

HDrive is SSD 850EVO 250GB (System Win10 Pro 64bit)

Storage is WDGreen 6 GB.

GPU is EVGA GTX980Ti Superclocked + ACX2.0.

Broadband is a solid 85Mb down, and 16Mb up.

Corsair watercooled rad closed loop heat extraction, same for cpu.

Thanks for asking Alonzo, I appreciate it..

Bedtime now, 2330hrs here, work in the morning..

Edited by Runnybabbit
Extra info.

Runnybabbit, 

I think with your PC Hardware you will not be able to run the HP Reverb with any acceptable results. The 980Ti is definitaly too weak. A friend of mine was using a 980Ti with his Oculus Rift for some years, also with limited and lower graphics Settings. Then he upgraded last year to the HP Reverb and found out that it was impossible to use his 980Ti anymore, he upgraded his PC with an i9-9900k and an RTX-2080Ti and now he is more than happy with his Reverb and he says that it is the best HMD for him right now.

I am waiting for the RTX-3080Ti to come, I am desperate to upgrade again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Runnybabbit said:

It's an Intel Core i7-6700K running at 4.6Ghz

The ASUS Z170 board is Skylake PCH-H architecture.

Memory is 16 GBytes Dual channel.

HDrive is SSD 850EVO 250GB (System Win10 Pro 64bit)

Storage is WDGreen 6 GB.

GPU is EVGA GTX980Ti Superclocked + ACX2.0.

Broadband is a solid 85Mb down, and 16Mb up.

Corsair watercooled rad closed loop heat extraction, same for cpu.

Yeah, I think you're going to be looking at 40 or 45 FPS in "frame doubled" mode with that rig, and like spitfirejoe I'm not sure about the 980Ti GPU at all. Some of my squad mates fly with a Rift S and GTX 1080 (30% faster than a 980Ti) and they are basically in 40 FPS ASW all the time. That's not to say it's a bad experience, and whether you enjoy it will depend on what you're doing. If you're playing single player campaigns with icons on, for example, you'll be fine. But if you're playing online multiplayer expert mode and need to ID planes, you might get frustrated with the mode. I will say that your GPU and CPU are a decent match for each other. With the Rift S I think you should be able to get a good experience. The problem with simulators and VR is that it's a giant jump in hardware to be able to hit the native refresh rates of the headsets, and it's a pretty big cost for the PC that can do it. So if you can be comfortable with your existing rig using a frame doubled mode, that's a good bang-for-buck way to proceed.

Do you know anyone where you could borrow a Rift S for a weekend? Or alternatively, ensure that wherever you purchase a headset (Rift S, Reverb, whichever) has a solid return policy so you can send it back if it's not a good experience. I believe Amazon has a good return policy but you'd need to check.

• Thanks 1

On 2/12/2020 at 2:19 AM, Alonzo said:

Yeah, I think you're going to be looking at 40 or 45 FPS in "frame doubled" mode with that rig, and like spitfirejoe I'm not sure about the 980Ti GPU at all. Some of my squad mates fly with a Rift S and GTX 1080 (30% faster than a 980Ti) and they are basically in 40 FPS ASW all the time. That's not to say it's a bad experience, and whether you enjoy it will depend on what you're doing. If you're playing single player campaigns with icons on, for example, you'll be fine. But if you're playing online multiplayer expert mode and need to ID planes, you might get frustrated with the mode. I will say that your GPU and CPU are a decent match for each other. With the Rift S I think you should be able to get a good experience. The problem with simulators and VR is that it's a giant jump in hardware to be able to hit the native refresh rates of the headsets, and it's a pretty big cost for the PC that can do it. So if you can be comfortable with your existing rig using a frame doubled mode, that's a good bang-for-buck way to proceed.

Do you know anyone where you could borrow a Rift S for a weekend? Or alternatively, ensure that wherever you purchase a headset (Rift S, Reverb, whichever) has a solid return policy so you can send it back if it's not a good experience. I believe Amazon has a good return policy but you'd need to check.

Thanks to both you and spitfirejoe for your helpful replies. I contacted my supplier that built my rig, with it being 4 years old today, and they have a free upgrade policy, in other words, as long as I pay for parts, they will do the setting up for me. Just waiting to hear back from them with a couple of options, and I shall take one of those that they offer me.. It's a nice change to find myself in such a helpful forum!

PS: Though we are both British, my wife has Canadian citizenship, and passport, and lived and worked in Mississauga and Toronto for over 15 years. We visit Canada every few years, and I always enjoy my time in your country...

Edited by Runnybabbit
Extra info..
  • Like 1

Rift S here. 

• Like 1

I have an Index but use the Odyssey +. I bought it for my cockpit VR setup for use with Elite Dangerous since the black levels look much better then the Index (or any other current HMD due to the fact it uses OLED technology, not LCDs.)  When I switched to IL2 flying on that setup I just continued used it. Colors are great and no screen door effect.

Odyssey.... but for me it is impossible to use in combat. I need  some configs for that. I cant spot nothing at distance.