chiliwili69

Why you are still not in VR in 2020?

Why you are still not in IL-2 Virtual Reality? (poll Jan-2020)  

289 members have voted

1. 1. Why you are still not in IL-2 Virtual Reality?

• Money: The VR device (for example Rift-S at 399$) is still expensive for me
    • Money: My PC would require an expensive upgrade (GPU, HOTAS,...)
    • I tested IL-2 VR with latest devices (Rift-S, Reverb, Index, Odyssey+, Pimax5K+ or 8K) but it didn´t convince me the VR device, so waiting for future better VR generations
    • I tested IL-2 VR with latest devices but don´t want to sacrifice performance/eye candy
    • I didn´t test IL-2 VR with latest devices but I plan to do that along 2020
    • I will wait for now, perhaps one day I will prefer to play IL-2 in VR
    • Definetely I will never be in VR (physical limitation, want to see controls, etc)
    • I already spend most of my IL-2 time in VR
    • Others

10 hours ago, 127Tom said:

I am more afraid getting nausea and vomitiong all over my desk and then realise I had waisted hundreds of dollars. 
Would be nice if someone here has tested different headset and found out what worked best for them. 

Lot's of us here have done just that ....What do you need to know?

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Here’s the actual statistics. 

What is your point?

For conclusions to IL2 GB these numbers seem meaningless. The respondant sources suggest a base way larger than relevant which will influence the outcome. If a simmer only plays non VR sims like falcon 4.0 or something his answer will be no of course.

The relevant source would be players of IL2 GB and DCS - and any other VR capable flightsim.

19 hours ago, 127Tom said:

I am more afraid getting nausea and vomitiong all over my desk and then realise I had waisted hundreds of dollars. 
Would be nice if someone here has tested different headset and found out what worked best for them. 

I don't know about your country but in Canada and USA you can test HP Reverb and return it WITHIN 30 days free of charge (even shipping-back is prepaid).

But you need a beast of a system with the Reverb. Regarding other less-demanding VR headsets if they also offer free returns, it is worth checking out as well.

After all what do you have to lose ?

3 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

What is your point?

The poll seems to be trying to figure out how many people use VR. There’s the answer. 

We KNOW you dislike VR. A LOT of VR users here think that the drop in resolution and difficulty checking six are WORTH it.

15 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The poll seems to be trying to figure out how many people use VR. There’s the answer. 

No that is not the point of the poll - you should read the first post.

Even if it were - the numbers you brought are meaningless for an IL2 GB exclusive environment as I already pointed out.

1 hour ago, Eisenfaustus said:

No that is not the point of the poll - you should read the first post.

Even if it were - the numbers you brought are meaningless for an IL2 GB exclusive environment as I already pointed out.

Seems to me that’s the point of the poll. No ulterior motive here, just the facts. That’s the only survey I’ve seen with those statistics. 

I don't because I simply don't own a VR headset, and have no intention of doing so for the next few years.

It's still some pretty obvious emerging tech; the prices drop drastically within a year or two of a new set being introduced, in turn with it being noticeably outdone by a new set. Either you stick to it for a reasonably long period and find that your set is positively antiquated and not worth a thing in a year or two's time, or you try to keep pace with development and rapidly spend an obscene amount of money that could easily have bought you an extremely pricey PC that would outclass most peoples' rigs for a decade easily.

Posted (edited)

At present i find it expensive enough to keep in the 2D hardware arms race even at 1080P. I know IL2 is somewhat less of a hog than DCS but equally neither seems to ever provide a truly satisfactory experience to the user (judging by the amout of threads anyhow). Still lots like it. I tried it but the image quality was gash on the old rig i had when i did. But it was the unese of being totally cut off i didnt like. I would likely overcome that and on a decent rig  i do see the attraction. A lot of my old squadmates liked it too. Thats when they could actually get it to work long enough, which was about 50% of the time. 

For me it would cost in the region of £3500 plus to have a PC specced to the point being able to use one of the better VR sets and thats before buying the headset. Thats too much money for something too far of being even remotely stable and far short of what acceptable fidelity would be to me.   I suspect that i would soon jerk myself out of the "cor im in the cockpit" thang and realise I cant read the guages, am almost complelety reliant on community workarounds and worry the next patch could, and likely will, royally poke me in the bum.

So Im afraid im somewhat in Sharpes camp. I havent seen the promised breakthroughs mooted 2 or 3 years ago, I only see everything climbing ever higher in price for marginal gains and Im old enough to remember how the Sinclair C5 was going to revolutionise personal transport. I think its day will come but i fear that this is a false dawn for the majority and it will remain a niche for many more years to come. 

Finally i think sitting with my tougue out twiddling sticks and thottles is already enough so i certainly dont need a £800 face mask to look even more of a tw.. 🙂

Edited by BOO
  • Thanks 1

I recent the headline. 
As if there is mandatory or a agonizing itch for everyone having a VR set. 
I use it, I can recommend it but not all is good. 
It is great to be in the plane. It is great sense of depth and easier aiming. Best head tracking. 
But if the hardware is not up fir it the price is just too high, it simply is not worth the money if they are needed elsewhere 

On 1/2/2020 at 8:00 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

Once IL2 has clickable cockpit I will give VR a shot, because with such a cockpit I can simply click on secondary buttons using some sort of VR pointer (or maybe even a mouse ?).

However currently all of those buttons (dozens and dozens of them) need to be bound to HOTAS and one has to be a world-class pianist to BLINDLY remember them all.

Right now I am waiting for DCS to enhance their destruction physics and to fully implement an improved Normandy map. Once this is done, I will probably try VR in DCS, as I cannot see IL2 as a viable VR option in the foreseeable future.

I take those old comments of mine back, mostly, because I am playing IL2 in VR right now and it didn't take as long to learn to operate controls blindly as I anticipated. There are a few limitations and caveats though: I cannot use all the secondary controls on the keyboard especially various SHIP+ or CTRL+ combinations, so for example turning on landing lights is out of the question. However I can still use some more easily identifiable keys on the keyboard such as cursor keys plus surrounding keys or "`" key (in the topleft corner) to issue commands to wingmen. Also typing comments in multiplayer is obviously not possible.

Posted (edited)
On 1/2/2020 at 7:00 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

Once IL2 has clickable cockpit I will give VR a shot,

IL-2 GB will never have this feature. It’s been stated by the Devs several times. 

Edited by SharpeXB

8 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I take those old comments of mine back, mostly, because I am playing IL2 in VR right now and it didn't take as long to learn to operate controls blindly as I anticipated. There are a few limitations and caveats though: I cannot use all the secondary controls on the keyboard especially various SHIP+ or CTRL+ combinations, so for example turning on landing lights is out of the question. However I can still use some more easily identifiable keys on the keyboard such as cursor keys plus surrounding keys or "`" key (in the topleft corner) to issue commands to wingmen. Also typing comments in multiplayer is obviously not possible.

Get Voice Attack ..Problem solved ...Best $10 I ever spent for gaming especially in VR... https://voiceattack.com/

• Upvote 1

I see VR today just like the Quad Stereo of 1971; A techno flash in the pan. I did not like the VR stuff I have tried hanging on my head and they all had optical imperfections. I have enough eye troubles.

Happy Trails and Good Health

• Upvote 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:01 AM, WheelwrightPL said:

As J5 _Hellcat_ suggests, Voice Attack is what you need. I just say “lights” and the cockpit lights switch on (or off). “Canopy” and the canopy opens (or closes).. and the list goes on. No need to touch a keyboard at all. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ZiggyBClark said:

As J5 _Hellcat_ suggests, Voice Attack is what you need. I just say “lights” and the cockpit lights switch on (or off). “Canopy” and the canopy opens (or closes).. and the list goes on. No need to touch a keyboard at all. 

To each his own, but for me personally a WW2 fighter is not Starship Enterprise.

9 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

To each his own, but for me personally a WW2 fighter is not Starship Enterprise.

Yeah but there are too many key commmands you need even with a HOTAS. 

On 3/21/2020 at 5:01 PM, WheelwrightPL said:

Have you mapped a modifier/shift key?  You can effectively double your bound controls.  Between a warthog and a saitek throttle quadrant, there isn't a control outside of camera F-keys and ESC that I haven't been able to have at my fingertips, and quite a few of them are really frivoulous and often unnecessary.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

@ZiggyBClark do you ever use comms (teamspeak / discord) with voice attack? How that goes together?

What I do is leave voice attack on continuous transmission and teamspeak on push to talk , works well ......just don't make too many commands with a single word that you would use on TS because both will pick it up......like Rodger/copy/out/in etc.

3 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

A WW2 fighter isn't a desk chair pushing key combos on a keyboard to operate switches in a game in a climate controlled room with a beverage of choice buy your side either but I digress...to each his own.

Edited by J5_HellCat_

Because I fear a slasher is in the room whenever I put those damned SA robbing contraptions on! Now get off my lawn and don't touch my buggy.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I hear you (so Voice Attack is even better in Elite Dangerous!)  but at the end of the day you are not really winding a canopy open or closed with some kind of winder either.  Pressing  two keys together on a keyboard, working a combination of buttons on a warthog or saying "open canopy" all achieve the same end, it's just that in VR Voice Attack suits best for some functions as the keyboard is too difficult and my force feedback joystick and throttle don't have a enough buttons to map everything.

21 hours ago, Brzi_Joe said:

@ZiggyBClark do you ever use comms (teamspeak / discord) with voice attack? How that goes together?

No, I have not played multiplayer with Comms as yet. Still quite new and have been concentrating on single player careers and scripted campaigns. J5 Hellcat seems to have it sorted though, I expect that is the way to go.... When the time comes.

I use  both Teamspeak and VA. I have TS on push to talk and I get VA to listen when I press another button.

• Like 1

2 Reasons.

1. I get motion sickness in VR.  That sucks.  Especially in a flight sim.

2. I use a CH MFP and need to be able to see my controls to make that work.

Posted (edited)

I'm playing Half Life Alyx now, which is amazing. I'm afraid that Alyx will ruin that kind of game for me on flat monitors - I will see.

But for flight sims, I still use my monitor. I realized that Alyx significantly changes how the game is played, the physics, and interactivity with the environment. With flight sims, though, it just changes how it looks. Everything else is harder - seeing the gauges, spotting, using my peripherals, checking my six, the initial setup to get the sim to play correctly, etc... It just "looks" cooler in VR, and that effect wears off for me after 20 minutes, after which everything is just more difficult (and nauseating). Especially in this particular sim where the cockpits don't have any interactivity. All these things I don't feel in Half Life.

Just something I realized yesterday.

Edited by unlikely_spider

Disability? 
TrackIr and playing can hurt enough for some (where flying = pain meds 90% of time anyways) 

For what its worth, I had a moderately stiff neck (age, wear and tear related) and following a few months of immersive VR checking my six etc. my neck moves a lot better now. I presume because I was moving it more while fully distracted while in game. I was previously using TrackIR type products which meant I didn’t need to move my head as much but I still recognise the benefits of head tracking products over plain vanilla 2D monitors.

• Upvote 1