Jump to content
chiliwili69

Why you are still not in VR in 2020?

Why you are still not in IL-2 Virtual Reality? (poll Jan-2020)  

261 members have voted

  1. 1. Why you are still not in IL-2 Virtual Reality?

    • Money: The VR device (for example Rift-S at 399$) is still expensive for me
      44
    • Money: My PC would require an expensive upgrade (GPU, HOTAS,...)
      46
    • I tested IL-2 VR with latest devices (Rift-S, Reverb, Index, Odyssey+, Pimax5K+ or 8K) but it didn´t convince me the VR device, so waiting for future better VR generations
      10
    • I tested IL-2 VR with latest devices but don´t want to sacrifice performance/eye candy
      9
    • I didn´t test IL-2 VR with latest devices but I plan to do that along 2020
      0
    • I will wait for now, perhaps one day I will prefer to play IL-2 in VR
      28
    • Definetely I will never be in VR (physical limitation, want to see controls, etc)
      18
    • I already spend most of my IL-2 time in VR
      92
    • Others
      14


Recommended Posts

On 1/7/2020 at 8:06 AM, Pict said:

 

That's interesting, thanks. You say one of the big pluses, does it have many? And what are it's minuses?

Plus for Rift S :

cheap, good spotting if tweaked according to advised. Plug and play, no need for base,  no need for external sensors, no need for highest performance pc, good resolution, easy sturdy buildt. 
minus: field of view is a bit narrow. Scuba mask vision. But despite that far better than screen 2 d playability. You improve deapth vision and aim 

better tracking than trackir 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The internet where I'm connected won't run a VR. Sucks the bone!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer to keep at least one foot in real reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When it becomes plug and play on an avarage pc, then i will jump in...even the price wont matter...

I tried VR with my clanmates...and it is really nice and immersive...

 

But when i have :

* to toast my CPU/graphics card/hardware

* to downgrade graphics

* spent hours and hours of tinkering to get 35 fps....with stutters when enemies pop up...

 

i think...nah, not yet...

 

5094zv-5.png

Edited by 1.JaVA_RoodeDuivel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, cardboard_killer said:

VR makes me ill.

 

:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flying in VR with a motion platform feels like really flying. 

Playing on a flat screen is playing a 2D game in a video window.

No comparison. And those that deny it most likely havent experienced it or cant afford it.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To me VR feels like motion platform already because I experience physical sensation of flying. It was making me dizzy initially, but not anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, WheelwrightPL said:

To me VR feels like motion platform already because I experience physical sensation of flying. It was making me dizzy initially, but not anymore. 

LOL! I know what you mean. I fly sometimes with the platform off and yet it feels like Im moving anyway.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm flying in VR. But I have a very hard time to do so in Il-2, because head tracking is rubberbanding like hell and I can't find anyone with similar problems. No problem in DCS though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2020 at 3:07 AM, Blasterlasvideo said:

Flying in VR with a motion platform feels like really flying. 

Playing on a flat screen is playing a 2D game in a video window.

No comparison. And those that deny it most likely havent experienced it or cant afford it.  ;)

 

I have good enough vr  hmd but I prefer 2d for competitive environment , not yet good enough for me , maybe someday ...

I had great experience playing Lone Echo , but that's it .

 BTW how one can sip  a  beer in  VR ? Nah 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Eldur said:

I'm flying in VR. But I have a very hard time to do so in Il-2, because head tracking is rubberbanding like hell and I can't find anyone with similar problems. No problem in DCS though...

what vr system are you using?

I am using  Odyssey + and when I get that effect I go to the WMR options screen that lets me setup vr for room scale or seated play. I chose seated. See image below

No more rubber banding (except when IL2  is on pause.)

 

WMRSetupOptions_0.jpg

Edited by Blasterlasvideo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rift CV1. Oculus doesn't have such an option and I thought I might have missed somethings in SteamVR (since DCS doesn't use that), but I found to settings to adjust over there either. Current setup:



1909 64 Pro · Gigabyte GA Z77-D3H (BIOS v.23b) · Intel i5 3570k @4.4 · Crucial Ballistix Tactical 32GB CL8 DDR3-1600 · Micron M550 256GB + Crucial MX500 1TB
MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G (441.66) · SB X-Fi Elite Pro (6.0.230.12) · VIA HD onboard audio (6.0.1.8700) · Eizo EV2436WFS-BK · Teufel Concept E Magnum
MS FFB2 · MFG Crosswind · MS P2 + PP (sliders) · Dual Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant · HOTAS Warthog Throttle · TrackIR 4 (5.1.3) · Rift CV1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you recently gone thru the CV1 setup procedure? Technical setup starts at around 1:18

The rubber banding could be due to tracking issues. Is your camera working and optimally placed?

 

 

Edited by Blasterlasvideo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eldur said:

Rift CV1. Oculus doesn't have such an option 

 

Hi Eldur.  I have a CV1 and have no problems at all in both IL2 and DCS.  The Rift set up does give you options in set up for room scale or seated.

 

Perhaps it might be a good idea to go through the set up process again? 

 

Btw; you don't have to use Steam VR with the Rift to run IL2.  You can use this;

 

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

 

Much better performance than Steam VR:salute:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need no VR, it is to expensive for the time that i play this game!

 

Edited by radio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From a more casual perspective. I only play IL2 in VR.

Years back, I put a few hours into il2 1946, but once again, only casually. I loved it, but usually only for some dog fighting or trying to take apart bombers with some nimble fighter. My interest in the game came more from my interest in WW2 as a whole.

These days I'm in love with VR. Preordered the Rift CV1, HTC Vive and I was an original kickstarter of the Pimax 5k+. These days I play in a Rift S. 
All these headsets have pros and cons for various situations, PC power and general interest in tweaking.
I primarily play with the Rift S because it's so dang easy to setup and put on, no sensors, two cables. Great tracking, good screen clarity. Though if it were available in my country, I'd be getting a Valve Index.

I also play with the cheap ass Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X. with a dicky Potentiometer on the pitch axis. The deadzone and pot jitter is really annoying, and I'll upgrade soon. Probably to 
a T16000m Hotas.

Going from flying flatscreen in 1946 to sitting in the Cockpit in VR is such a different experience. I'm playing through the campaigns, missions and career modes. (I don't have the skills or guts to fly PVP) I really love the time spent flying the waypoints to the mission objectives, just feeling immersed in the landscape the atmosphere, particularly a dawn flight. 

It made me interested in doing takeoffs and landings, and to learn things i previously had no idea about like prop pitch etc. 

One of the biggest downsides is the screen resolution. As a newbie, I would have trouble spotting and identifying enemy planes if I didn't have the overlays to help me. And I think a combination of things, starting with the screen resolution will help with that. It's much better on the Pimax than the Rift S. but the Pimax has it's own issues.

From the performance side, I don't really have any issues running it in VR, though for work purposes, my machine is quite a beast.
But I would recommend running it through OpenComposite as it does run much faster.

On the controls side of things, I set up my bindings as I go, creating new ones as the missions/campaigns demand more functionality. I have Voice Attacks, and I'll probably set up some additional controls through that for when it make sense. 

And eventually I want to get a butt kicker, or some other physical feedback. 
 

I know that you guys are much more hardcore than I am. I just wanted to give my perspective from the casual perspective and how VR can actually bring new people into the simulation world who would otherwise not give it much thought. 
 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PhunkaeG said:

I know that you guys are much more hardcore than I am. I just wanted to give my perspective from the casual perspective and how VR can actually bring new people into the simulation world who would otherwise not give it much thought. 

 

Thanks PhunkaeG.  Really interesting post:salute:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2020 at 11:46 PM, DD_Arthur said:

 

Hi Eldur.  I have a CV1 and have no problems at all in both IL2 and DCS.  The Rift set up does give you options in set up for room scale or seated.

 

Perhaps it might be a good idea to go through the set up process again? 

 

Btw; you don't have to use Steam VR with the Rift to run IL2.  You can use this;

 

https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/blob/master/README.md

 

Much better performance than Steam VR:salute:

 

Thanks, I've tried to reset the options in Oculus several times. I couldn't find a setting to switch from seated to standing however, but of course you can set your height, which I basically set to much less than mine, to take into account that I sit in my chair while flying which literally is the only thing I do in VR (I'd really like to try out some VR games though, but my room is simply not big enough for VR gaming).

 

The only thing that gets me is that since I run Windows 10 (as of recently), my Rift connection is tagged as USB 2.0 even though it's connected to a 3.0 port. And I tried all USB 3 ports I have (especially since there are 3 different USB3 controllers listed in my device manager), do difference however. My guess is that this is the source of the problems although I've read that USB 2.0 would be sufficient anyway. Tracking in DCS isn't butter smooth either, but not as bad as it is in Il-2. Probably my board is just too old to get this right.

 

I'll check that software you posted a link to.

Edited by Eldur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Eldur said:

 

Thanks, I've tried to reset the options in Oculus several times. I couldn't find a setting to switch from seated to standing however, but of course you can set your height, which I basically set to much less than mine, to take into account that I sit in my chair while flying which literally is the only thing I do in VR (I'd really like to try out some VR games though, but my room is simply not big enough for VR gaming).

 

The only thing that gets me is that since I run Windows 10 (as of recently), my Rift connection is tagged as USB 2.0 even though it's connected to a 3.0 port. And I tried all USB 3 ports I have (especially since there are 3 different USB3 controllers listed in my device manager), do difference however. My guess is that this is the source of the problems although I've read that USB 2.0 would be sufficient anyway. Tracking in DCS isn't butter smooth either, but not as bad as it is in Il-2. Probably my board is just too old to get this right.

 

I'll check that software you posted a link to.

 

I used to use a CV1 and although tracking worked fine for me, I do have a little experience dealing with CV1 USB problems.  USB 2.0 can cause tracking issues, definitely for the cameras, you want those running 3.0 (2.0 is fine on the third camera for room scale though).  I've heard people say the headset is fine on 2.0 as well, but I always got slightly more jitter when that happened.  If your USB 3.0 ports are being seen as 2.0, the first thing to do is check that you don't have "USB Legacy Support" enabled in your bios.  This is no longer needed in Win 10 and can cause exactly the problem you describe.  CV1s and USB 3.0 was always a problem for me, as the ones on my old motherboard weren't supported.   In that case you can do what I, and many other owners did and buy a compatible 3.0 expansion card recommended by Oculus.  At the time, the two recommended were the ones were made by StarTech and Inateck.

 

I have something like this:

 

https://www.inateck.com/uk/catalog/product/view/id/267/s/inateck-ktu3fr-5o2u-usb-3-0-pci-express-card/category/216/

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whilst the need to update my PC has been an excuse for not experimenting with VR, the main reason I've not yet even bothered to try it can be put down to my "weird brain".

 

I've a lifelong incurable neurological developmental condition, (something that always sounds terribly tragic and debilitating but in reality just means my brain is wired differently making me much smarter at certain tasks and below par on others..... since all humans are different I just tend to focus on how the benefits of my "weird brain" tend to outweigh any disadvantages). If truth be told folk rarely assume there must being any underlying medical cause and just attribute my behaviour  to being a "typically" eccentric academic.

 

The result of my brain being hardwired the way it is means that I tend to have a very keen eye for processing images and judging hue, colour and tone (and hence why I now work as an artist). However the way my brain deconstructs signals from my eyes means that in the past other so called 3D effects have failed to convince and have left me nauseated, combine this with an inner-ear imbalance problem and unless "perfect" I could easily foresee minor technical limitations of VR technology being major problems for my senses to process.

 

HH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I am exaggeratedly passionate about everything that flies with two or more wings and a propeller or a rudimentary turbojet, I am immoderately collecting and using flight simulators / games since the time of Commodore 64. I have alternated virtual flight with modeling, static and RC. I have flown virtually countless hours thanks to Dynamix, Microprose, Jane's, Microsoft, 1C, 777, ED etc. etc. I look forward to every new production or even just a slight restyling of my beloved simulators which, together with the continuous hardware update required, contribute discreetly to thin my bank account ... I believe I will never be able to quit.

I have repeatedly read on the web or in magazines, enthusiastic reviews related to virtual reality and, I confess, I just couldn't really understand the meaning of words like "being inside the game". Finally, a few months ago I bought an Oculus Go to try it. Needless to say, the first thing I tried to do was to try to use the damn thing with a flight simulator. After some more or less clumsy attempts, I managed to stream IL2 BOX on the HMD ...Bloody Hell!!! A lightning bolt! The most powerful WOW effect ever experienced so far (at least related to the simulated flight) ... fifteen minutes later Amazon kindly advised me that my Oculus Rift had been shipped, just as kindly giving me the tracking information! Personally, the Oculus Rift CV1 has opened up a world to me, perhaps not exactly graphically perfect, it is certainly a little more uncomfortable to look at the world with an HMD but, I repeat, for me it is a further aspect related to immersion, essential as the force feedback, the buttkicker or anything credibly deludes us into the cockpit. The VR personally represents a real game changer, and, in relation to Il2 BOX, the only way I know and / or wish to get on my 109 or Spit or Macchi that it is and daydream to FLY! I will continue to collect flight simulators because it is the only way to keep an almost extinct genre alive but, at the moment of dedicating the precious hours of my (little) free time to simulated flight, I wear my CV1, launch IL2.exe and ... goodbye 2D!

Edited by SARFlytitus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2020 at 9:12 PM, sallee said:

I prefer to keep at least one foot in real reality.

Actually I am more in real reality now with speakers in the forehead than when I used headphones and trackir

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, [Pb]Slegawsky said:

Maiden flight in HP Reverb today,  no barf bag needed and still in awe.

Mind = blown!

 

The reverb is definitely something! Good luck with it .....

Edited by J5_HellCat_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

Pilots that never fly in VR will never know the wonder they are missing.

Idk

it is kind of a mixed feeling for me. Awesome yes but not mandatory

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Idk

it is kind of a mixed feeling for me. Awesome yes but not mandatory

 

Definatley mandatory for me.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

Pilots that never fly in VR will never know the wonder they are missing.

I don't think everyone has same opinion, me and my friends  don't come back to VR since first initial wow days. (we have O+, first Vive, Oculus CV1 and S)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Blasterlasvideo said:

 

Definatley mandatory for me.

Do not get me wrong. 
There are amazingly many now adicted to VR 

Meaning they wont get back. 
Wont get back is a known sim syndrome and it

get to everybody. Once you fly with trackir you wont get back too. Once upgraded your stick , same shit. 
But for some VR come at a price, for me that is being able to fly Cod 5.0 , having a pit special built for cod give same degree immersion. 
For me going from hatswitch to TrackIr was a greater wow and adiction. TrackIr to VR not so much but still a wow. But I am not addicted in the way I cannot fly with Trackir

 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As 1PL-Husar-1Esk said "I don't think everyone has same opinion" and that is very true ....I mean some people don't like Ice Cream  .....

I think the biggest reason most don't fly it is money. Money for the upgrades you need to get a clear smooth running setup can get pretty pricey if you don't already have some of the components installed. 

 

I have a complete sim pit setup with all the bells and whistles. I went through two VR headsets before I got to the Reverb ....Now I can't fly or race without it....Just doesn't feel the same at all....it's not nearly the same degree of immersion for me..one way you're looking at the game and one way your in it.

 

I guess if my Squad mates go back to a game like ROF for a tourney or my Verb takes a dump I'll have to go back to Trackir but till then ..nah.........

I'll post a few pics of the pit ...I still use it and love it but sold the 38" $800 3840 x 1600 widescreen after having the Verb for awhile and now have a cheaper 32" 1920 x1080 so that will be a little painful if I have to go back. 🤪 (only reason I got the 38" is someone paid me double for my Pimax 5K pre order ) 

 

So there's my VR story ...longest post I ever made .....sorry to all who feel they wasted a part of their life reading it 😉

IMG_20181025_201818210.jpg

IMG_20181025_201728038.jpg

Edited by J5_HellCat_
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A little VR...a little motion platform ...add IL2 P-38 and Im airborne

!IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.7c6b40919087da50135d96636ab9163f.JPGIMG_0026.thumb.JPG.a25c109da883dce890321b6248e209c7.JPG

Edited by Blasterlasvideo
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 1:44 AM, Dijital_Majik said:

 

I used to use a CV1 and although tracking worked fine for me, I do have a little experience dealing with CV1 USB problems.  USB 2.0 can cause tracking issues, definitely for the cameras, you want those running 3.0 (2.0 is fine on the third camera for room scale though).  I've heard people say the headset is fine on 2.0 as well, but I always got slightly more jitter when that happened.  If your USB 3.0 ports are being seen as 2.0, the first thing to do is check that you don't have "USB Legacy Support" enabled in your bios.  This is no longer needed in Win 10 and can cause exactly the problem you describe.  CV1s and USB 3.0 was always a problem for me, as the ones on my old motherboard weren't supported.   In that case you can do what I, and many other owners did and buy a compatible 3.0 expansion card recommended by Oculus.  At the time, the two recommended were the ones were made by StarTech and Inateck.

 

I have something like this:

 

https://www.inateck.com/uk/catalog/product/view/id/267/s/inateck-ktu3fr-5o2u-usb-3-0-pci-express-card/category/216/

 

 

 

 

Didn't know about the Legacy thing, but switching that off caused some troubles, so I switched it back on. I've now, again (I did all this when I was still on 7, without getting good results), checked all the USB ports I could use and figured out that both the Rift HMD and my pedals have been using the only ports that would show up as 3.0 and compatible when I plug the sensors in there - so that's what I did and both the HMD and the pedals went to the other ports which indeed are just 2.0. I've got 4 3.0 ports at the backplate, 2 of which won't be considered compatible by Oculus. Probably these are the ones hung up on the Etron controller, while the other 2 are connected to an Intel controller. A quick test showed me that it did improve the tracking in Il-2 BoX, I just had the rubberbanding thing in the menus and right at the beginning when it was still loading, but it went smooth after a short while. Guess that did the trick as far as it goes with my rig. Thanks for the hints!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though I went top of the line and went with a hybrid Vive/Index system for room scale VR, I am really happy with the Odyssey + I am using with my Next Level Racing Flight rig. It's great have the cameras built into the HMD. And the black levels are far superior to the Indexes. Originally I got it for Elite Dangerous since the black levels in space didn't look good. But now that Im only flying IL2 the ease of use and high quality display are a joy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Eldur said:

 

Didn't know about the Legacy thing, but switching that off caused some troubles, so I switched it back on. I've now, again (I did all this when I was still on 7, without getting good results), checked all the USB ports I could use and figured out that both the Rift HMD and my pedals have been using the only ports that would show up as 3.0 and compatible when I plug the sensors in there - so that's what I did and both the HMD and the pedals went to the other ports which indeed are just 2.0. I've got 4 3.0 ports at the backplate, 2 of which won't be considered compatible by Oculus. Probably these are the ones hung up on the Etron controller, while the other 2 are connected to an Intel controller. A quick test showed me that it did improve the tracking in Il-2 BoX, I just had the rubberbanding thing in the menus and right at the beginning when it was still loading, but it went smooth after a short while. Guess that did the trick as far as it goes with my rig. Thanks for the hints!

 

Glad it helped!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I

13 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

This 🙄

 

I take it you dont use "owl view" because it isnt realistic:good:

Edited by DD_Crash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DD_Crash said:

I

I take it you dont use "owl view" because it isnt realistic:good:

No it’s the physical effort in VR that will likely doom it in gaming. Most people would rather just play games with their thumbs than their whole body. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am more afraid getting nausea and vomitiong all over my desk and then realise I had waisted hundreds of dollars. 
Would be nice if someone here has tested different headset and found out what worked best for them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...