chiliwili69

Why you are still not in VR in 2020?

Why you are still not in IL-2 Virtual Reality? (poll Jan-2020)  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Why you are still not in IL-2 Virtual Reality?

• Money: The VR device (for example Rift-S at 399$) is still expensive for me
    • Money: My PC would require an expensive upgrade (GPU, HOTAS,...)
    • I tested IL-2 VR with latest devices (Rift-S, Reverb, Index, Odyssey+, Pimax5K+ or 8K) but it didn´t convince me the VR device, so waiting for future better VR generations
    • I tested IL-2 VR with latest devices but don´t want to sacrifice performance/eye candy
    • I didn´t test IL-2 VR with latest devices but I plan to do that along 2020
    • I will wait for now, perhaps one day I will prefer to play IL-2 in VR
    • Definetely I will never be in VR (physical limitation, want to see controls, etc)
    • I already spend most of my IL-2 time in VR
    • Others

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Interesting because many people on DCS say the opposite. 

If you played DCS in VR and IL2 in VR, you would be able to state your personal opinion as to which is best, but you don't play il2 in VR or DCS in VR, so your statement is as usual just your opinion.

You also have my answer.

10 hours ago, bzc3lk said:

No opinion needed , the fact still remains 700 threads were created by various paying customers with problems related to a sim that you claimed played VR "perfectly" and then dismiss them as "noobs or "have an axe to grind" when it doesn't suite your narrative. 

Do YOU play DCS in VR? and if yes, what it YOUR personal experience playing DCS in VR?

If you can't answer those questions, then you are just trolling. 

Edited by Sgt_Joch
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sgt_Joch said:

If you played DCS in VR and IL2 in VR, you would be able to state your personal opinion as to which is best, but you don't play il2 in VR or DCS in VR, so your statement is as usual just your opinion.

This poll was titled “Why are you still not in VR” and was by definition asking people who do not play in VR their reasons. Everyone is free to read the accounts of using VR in various games and make a judgement based upon that. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2020 at 5:51 PM, SharpeXB said:

VR does not perform well enough, especially in other flight sims like DCS or won’t be implemented at all (yet?) in MSFS2020

I’m not certain that VR will ever perform well in complex sims like this  Even today’s strongest hardware is not capable of running these games without having reprojection constantly utilized. And the resolution of the headsets is too low at this point. Games only evolve to become more and more demanding and it’s likely that VR hardware will not be able to keep up compared to 2D. Maybe someday I’ll try it but those issues will have to be resolved. 

I am not a hardcore VR user. But you are really on thin ice when it comes to just about every claims you do in every post. 
I was not impressed by first gen VR and stayed out. Compared to that I was better off with multiple screens. 
When Rift S came I waited for first second hand at a reasonable price that came along, because what cv 1 lacked to win me over was just a tad more clearity. 
DCS got issues keeping a steady FPS due to frequent updates, the problem hit non VR users too. DCS is superb in VR its clickable cockpits is like made for vr and you can buy gloves that make your hand in cockpits if mouse or hand controller is not enough. 
VR is a expirience I like everyone to have, I enjoyed first gen VR for the same reason. To actually sit in the flying machine make things just awesome. 
You claim your writing is opinion, but it is not. You are telling people lies and claim things in such a way that it inflict peoples decision making ,and that is not right. Only these having VR knows you are in some point lying and the rest is simply based on fantasy. 
People not having VR can, by the way you word it believe what you are saying, they think you actually have used them. But you clearly have not

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 1

However I hesitate recommending buying VR to anyone. 
The economical part of it makes it difficult for me to do so. If one is satisfied with a screen I think you should continue using the screen. 
VR have a tendency to double your ambitions for hardware. 
I would invest in a good controller, throttle and rudderpedals first. Be sure if your Rig can run VR and then find out what VR you can live with fir as long as possible

33 minutes ago, No.322_LuseKofte said:

You claim your writing is opinion, but it is not. You are telling people lies and claim things in such a way that it inflict peoples decision making ,and that is not right.

An opinion by definition is not factual. So an opinion can not be a “lie”. The opinion I have regarding VR is based upon reading many accounts of using it in different games and having used the headsets myself outside of gaming. DCS just happens to be the one which seems to have the most trouble. Everyone can make their own decisions about these thing and I doubt one persons opinion sways anyone that much. If you’re worried about one persons opinion swaying the whole future of VR, never mind my posts. What about the entire VR section of DCS forum which are mostly performance complaint thread? Seriously...
Again this was a poll specifically asking people who don’t use VR their reasons for not using it. Maybe somebody VR will perform well enough for me to try it and I will be glad to be proved wrong about my assumption. But I need to see it to believe it. 

Posted (edited)

I've been playing DCS and IL2 in VR for quite awhile now. Went from a Lenovo to a OG Odyssey and now my Reverb. In my personal experience I would say IL2 runs better and smoother in VR than DCS. I don't mean to say DCS isn't good because it is and I won't play either game in pancake mode anymore but you need to take some time to tweak ....My system is in my sig and it's not a real burner by any means and I hold 50's in DCS 60 to 90 in IL2 and this is with a high res Reverb. You also have to keep in mind a lot of people who play DCS just jump into VR and expect plug and play when the reality is DCS takes much more tweaking than IL2 and they just aren't tech savvy or patient enough to put the time in to get it there .... JMHO

S~

Edited by HellCat_

I bought and returned a month later Rift consumer version 1.  For me the SDE and other visual downgrades were just too much to take.  I may jump back in later if I hear that the PPQ is significantly improved.

Posted (edited)
On 1/3/2020 at 1:52 AM, Gambit21 said:

Because I don't want it.

Too much money, too low res, too much of a performance hit.

This 🔺  Plus you have to have Steam on your computer, so even if it was free and good I wouldn't have it.

It will be a while after 2020 before any of the above are addressed.

Edited by Pict

22 minutes ago, Pict said:

Plus you have to have Steam on your computer, so even if it was free and good I wouldn't have it.

One of the big plus's for Occulus;  no need for Steam!:)

• Thanks 1

There's nothing on the statute books to say I should be.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

One of the big plus's for Occulus;  no need for Steam!:)

That's interesting, thanks. You say one of the big pluses, does it have many? And what are it's minuses?

Posted (edited)

Tried head monted displays extensively back in 1997, convinced they are not for me ever since. Fool me once...

In flight sims in particular, I find simpit and seeing the controls much more immersive. I'm more stick and rudder guy than gauges guy or sightseer anyway, so FFB is more important than clickable pit or eye candy for me. Would trade HMD support for FFB pedals support anytime.

Finally, resolution. Faithful representation of pilot so near-sighted he would never be allowed to fly is the last straw for me. Trading (less un) realistic eyesight for better looking game? Nope.

Waiting for full body immersion (which a proper VR should be before we call it VR) before I start considering. 

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

Posted (edited)
On 1/4/2020 at 3:35 PM, SharpeXB said:

I’ve probably mentioned this before but I use VR professionally as an architect. 

I can also read. It doesn’t seem the future of VR is very certain which is a factor on me holding back on it for gaming

Your comments are based on 2018 figures, this is how Forbes described VR's future summer 2019:

Yes, 2018 was a challenging year—growth slowed substantially compared to 2017—but a new report from Futuresource Consulting confirms that the future of VR is bright. Worldwide, VR market volume is expected to reach 98.4 million sales by 2023, generating an installed base of 168 million units with a worldwide population penetration of 2%. Growth is forecast across all regions and countries, with China leading the way.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/solrogers/2019/06/21/2019-the-year-virtual-reality-gets-real/#66df0d276ba9

and the growth of headsets connected on Steam reached over a million per month in May 2019 and projected to reach two million this year

image.png.44a5792cf17784f59f04ebd98397a25b.png

Its use is subjective of course but the future of VR seems bright considering the take up and new devices launched in 2019. Things do seem to have picked up after the lull after the CV1 and Vive were launched, I think there will plenty to get excited about with new investments. The time it is right for any individual playing their favourite genre and how they play it wil vary such there can never be a right answer. For instance for sim racing if online competitiveness was the primary factor I would likely choose triple screens. Personally I prefer the immersion of VR.

It is so subjective that the only way to find out is to try it, as the devices are getting more mainstream and sold on Amazon the ability to try before buying is getting ever easier. It is all about entertaining ourselves!

image.png

Edited by PO_Baldrick

3 hours ago, PO_Baldrick said:

and the growth of headsets connected on Steam reached over a million per month in May 2019 and projected to reach two million this year

That’s great but Steam has 90 million active users. 

47 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

That’s great but Steam has 90 million active users. 

The growth represents an 80% year on year increase May 2018 to May 2019. That seems pretty significant and the prediction is for the growth to increase. Hardly an uncertain future. Look at the reaction over the initial lack of support for VR in MSFS 2020 and the change of stance, momentum is growing.

35 minutes ago, PO_Baldrick said:

The growth represents an 80% year on year increase May 2018 to May 2019. That seems pretty significant and the prediction is for the growth to increase.

But even that projected growth still only represents 1 out of 50 people using VR

I know what I am waiting for! The day when VR headsets and haptic VR gloves (...in the least) are an integrated unit. I am holding out for clickable buttons/switched and turnable knobs. Is this unrealistic- Maybe! However it's my money and I say when I am ready to spend it!

14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

But even that projected growth still only represents 1 out of 50 people using VR

From the article I linked to above:

In March, Sony announced it had sold 4.2 million PlayStation VR (PSVR) headsets. Earlier this month, Playstation lead Jim Ryan told CNet, “The current generation of VR has exceeded our expectations. When you step back and look at it—and this is the way I like to look at it - one in 20 of the people who found the money to go out and buy a PlayStation 4, and all the games and peripherals that they enjoyed with that, have also found the money to then go buy the PlayStation VR and all the games and peripherals that go on top of that.”

You have a lot of projections of where VR might go, but no one can predict the future. Right now, it is still a niche early-adopter product.

For VR to grow and gain max acceptance, you will need: 1) reasonably priced headsets; and 2) similar performance to 2d monitor.

Valve is certainly going all in, the next version of Half Life, "Alyx" will be VR only. Looking forward to see how well it plays.

2 hours ago, PO_Baldrick said:

one in 20 of the people who found the money to go out and buy a PlayStation 4, and all the games and peripherals that they enjoyed with that, have also found the money to then go buy the PlayStation VR and all the games and peripherals that go on top of that.”

One out of 20 is good? Exceeded expectations? How? I suppose their expectations were low...

And Xbox Series X won’t have VR

“We're responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody’s asking for VR."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-nobodys-asking-for-vr-says-phil-spen/1100-6471746/

12 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

One out of 20 is good? Exceeded expectations? How? I suppose their expectations were low...

And Xbox Series X won’t have VR

“We're responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody’s asking for VR."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-series-x-nobodys-asking-for-vr-says-phil-spen/1100-6471746/

I don't think I'd want VR on a console. You lose the social aspect of gaming with other people, which is the best part of console gaming, and if you only use it for a few solo games on the console, the extra cost would not be worth it.

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

When one out of 20 equates to 5 million units it I would suggest it rather makes it a worthwhile market to investing in. Bear in mind that PSVR costs more than a Playstation. Cost is the most prohibitive aspect of VR as this poll displays.

So, yes I think one out of 20 is good.

Anyway, regardless of who is right or wrong on the mainstream future of VR I believe there is sufficient development both hardware and software for it to be of interest to enthusiasts. Whilst I might think twice about buying a car I need to trade in in three years time and its residual value I wouldn't base a decision on a VR headset based on investment predictions for the future. It is for the now and things I want to play.

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, PO_Baldrick said:

When one out of 20 equates to 5 million units it I would suggest it rather makes it a worthwhile market to investing in. Bear in mind that PSVR costs more than a Playstation. Cost is the most prohibitive aspect of VR as this poll displays.

So, yes I think one out of 20 is good.

The exact figure is 4mil PSVRs out of 100 million PS4s. That’s 4%. Doesn’t seem very good to me. 

The Kinect sold 35 million units along with about 103 million Xbox 360 and Xbox Ones and still ended up failing. That’s an attach rate of nearly 10x the PSVR. 

Edited by SharpeXB

1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

Doesn’t seem very good to me. 

But the CEO of Playstation does seem to think thats very good.

Interesting that after announcing MSFS 2020 will not support VR the team behind that are back-peddling furiously and will now "try our darnedest to make it happen."

VR isn't going away.

44 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

But the CEO of Playstation does seem to think thats very good.

Interesting that after announcing MSFS 2020 will not support VR the team behind that are back-peddling furiously and will now "try our darnedest to make it happen."

VR isn't going away.

I don’t see how 4% is good but whatever... That’s Sony evaluating its own sales so...

And MSFS it is interesting that they didn’t even consider VR apparently. But of course it’s going to be running on the Xbox too and that won’t have VR.  Also just look at the graphics and I can’t imagine that performing well at all in VR. So when they say “try” I think it means exactly that. 

5 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

The exact figure is 4mil PSVRs out of 100 million PS4s. That’s 4%. Doesn’t seem very good to me.

Well if we want to split hairs and be exact the figures quoted were 4.2 million in March 2019 and the PS4 sales at that time were 94.3 million so one in twenty two. Don't think it changes the conclusion that one in twenty two people effectively spending more than the cost of the console to enable it to play VR is a decent figure.

That is more than EV cars sold last year (3.2%) would you suggest that market is irrelevant?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PO_Baldrick said:

That is more than EV cars sold last year (3.2%) would you suggest that market is irrelevant?

Off topic but yes. Electric cars are currently a curiosity for the wealthy and not mainstream or really very practical. 

Sony themselves might be the only ones saying a 4% number is “exceeding expectations” that’s like a politician spinning poll

numbers

Oh yeah... what I just said

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/27/18284297/sony-psvr-4-million-sold-sega-cd-kinect-comparison-ps4-playstation

Edited by SharpeXB

Towmorrow could be too late, start vr today or perhaps you never will 🙂 

Just now, Gomoto said:

Towmorrow could be too late, start vr today or perhaps you never will 🙂 

Why are they going to stop making the headsets? Like HD DVDs and the Kinect? Get one today as a collectors item... 😶

3 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I don’t see how 4% is good but whatever... That’s Sony evaluating its own sales so...

That would have generated Sony close to four hundred million US in extra profit and if you work on an average mark up of around 35% then a similar amount of profit for Sony's retailers too.

No wonder the CEO is happy; Sony took a punt on VR and it's turned up trumps.

7 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

Off topic but yes. Electric cars are currently a curiosity for the wealthy and not mainstream or really very practical. 

Sharpe you're a funny guy and I understand Texas is a big place but guess what?  A lot further east from you - over the ocean - five hundred million Europeans will all be driving electric vehicles within the next two decades.  Following hot on their heels will be a billion chinese too. 

Imagine that!:)  

4 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

No wonder the CEO is happy; Sony took a punt on VR and it's turned up trumps.

I would challenge you to find a source besides Sony themselves who thinks that’s a good number. Again the Kinect sold 10x as many and still flopped. 

Posted (edited)

The PlayStation Move (see a pattern here?)
“In October 2010, the PlayStation Move had shipped around 1.5 million units in Europe and 1 million units in North America during its first month of release,figures that Sony felt were selling "extremely well" at the time. 😉 On 30 November 2010, it was announced that 4.1 million units had been shipped worldwide in the first two months since its release. By June 2011, at E3 2011, Sony announced that the PlayStation Move had sold 8.8 million units. By November 2012, this figure had grown to 15 million.
In March 2012 Fergal Gara of Sony UK spoke to Official PlayStation Magazine UK to acknowledge that, the device had not lived up to their expectations,  🙁 in either their target audience or the software support that had been provided for it.”

Edited by SharpeXB

Share price is everything Sharpe😎.

Btw, did you know Europe was removing the internal combustion engine from it's cars? 

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Can’t get the link to work

26 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Btw, did you know Europe was removing the internal combustion engine from it's cars? 

Yeah, us Yanks don’t like anyone telling us what to do so such things are really unlikely here. 🚘 🚘🚘🇺🇸
plus gas costs less than water...

Edited by SharpeXB

Sorry about the link. Are using a cell phone?    Sony have had a good year.                                      While the price of gas in the US remains low, I suspect the price of water will continue to rise.🤔

I looked into it, but I basically want this... 

On 1/8/2020 at 5:33 AM, JG7_X-Man said:

I know what I am waiting for! The day when VR headsets and haptic VR gloves (...in the least) are an integrated unit. I am holding out for clickable buttons/switched and turnable knobs. Is this unrealistic- Maybe! However it's my money and I say when I am ready to spend it!

Because i am not made of money and i have other games that require some of the small amount of spare money, i have available.

I voted other. It's a combination of extreme performance hit, low resolution, lack of standardization, poor software, poor integration in games. Prices are also pretty high, for something that requires tons of tweaking to work right.

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Upvote 1