jeffchrisope

Refund process?

Quick question:  how does one get a refund on IL2 store purchases?  I played around with FC and found it okay (needs a campaign, but at least VR works, vs. RoF), but when I added BoBP to the mix today, I was stunned about the VR experience without clickable cockpits.  Obviously didn’t do my homework, wasn’t aware there was a whole thing about there being a pretty intense hatred for them apparently in the community and with the developers.  I didn’t invest $$$ to make a good VR rig so I could grope for key combos, ugh.  So ... over to DCS I guess for post-WW1 stuff, bummer.  Really liked the good campaign support here.

Any pointers in kicking off the refund process would be appreciated.  Thanks!

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

I do not have VR at this time, however there are many players that use VR and have high praise for it.  I would hope that one the VR players respond to you, good luck.

• Like 1

With a HOTAS setup, your keyboard usage should be minimal. I wouldn't call it an intense hatred, but personally I find having to point and click a mouse more immersion breaking than hitting a couple keys.

For me, VR in this game is amazing, and it's a shame this ruins it for you. To each his own.

• Upvote 1

With HOTAS you should be able to run it fine... it just needs configuring.

I'm on the fence about clickable cockpits myself... they don't seem to be needed for WWII aircraft. I'm sure I'll have stronger thoughts after TFS 5.0 Tobruk is released. That said, I do like the idea of the pilot having a body (I found the BoX mod for that rather inspiring)... so that is a nice feature of DCS... the price per aircraft is much higher in DCS and the detailed damage model is only just being implemented now... it also doesn't model Russian front at all (despite the inclusion of an I-16).

You should give it another try. Once the keys are bound on your hotas, you dont need the keyboard at all. It is very much possible to bind all needed keys on the hotas.

Also its totally possible to run vr and keyboard. Just feel for the bumps on the F key. 

The planes generally require a few buttons to adjust cooking systems, flaps trimmer and gear. Even a basic joystick can manage that.

I fly in VR and very rarely need to use the keyboard and I don't have a hotas

Posted (edited)

There is not many key presses needed. I would go to customer support and try there. 
I do not like to spend time talking someone over to this sim not willing to try out a game. 
If you got a stick and a throttle with a fair number of buttons. You are set without keyboard 

I fly MI 8 and KA 50 with VR and use just as much key there. GB run smoother than DCS in VR. 

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 3

IL-2 GB is a fantastic sim even without clickable cockpits. I have all my needed commands assigned to my HOTAS and use Voice Attack for wingman commands.

I fly the sim many hours a week and absolutely love it, especially for the great single player aspect.

I do get where the OP is coming from - I fully enjoy the realism and immersion with the click pits in DCS, but even with that my main go to sim is IL-2.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

5 minutes of googling would have told you that the sim doesn't have clickable cockpits. Caveat Emptor.

I enjoy both Il2 and the other sim with clickable cockpits, especially the cold war era jets...they both have their strengths and weaknesses

Edited by RhumbaAzul
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

My sarcastic side wants to tell you to go fly that other sim at $50-100 per aircraft.  Demand your refund.  You shouldn't even try this sim as it is clearly beneath you.  Don't waste your time.  Leave while you still can.

Good thing I don't post sarcastic responses.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

the day they put clickable cockpits, they lose me as a client of theirs

Just because a flight sim has clickable cockpits does not  mean that you have to all of a sudden stop using the keyboard. With me when I play FSX, Occasionally I may use the keyboard, other times I click things. Almost always I press the G button to raise the landing gear and use the keyboard to operate the flaps, though if I wanted to I could. Nothing really wrong with doing that on FSX.

Though there are a lot more important things to add in IL-2 GBs, IMO, I wouldn’t mind seeing clickable cockpits being implemented at some point.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

20 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

My sarcastic side wants to tell you to go fly that other sim at $50-100 per aircraft.  Demand your refund.  You shouldn't even try this sim as it is clearly beneath you.  Don't waste your time.  Leave while you still can.

Good thing I don't post sarcastic responses.

you're taking this hard arent you? Is he a friend of yours?

28 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

Just because a flight sim has clickable cockpits does not  mean that you have to all of a sudden stop using the keyboard. With me when I play FSX, Occasionally I may use the keyboard, other times I click things. Almost always I press the G button to raise the landing gear and use the keyboard to operate the flaps, though if I wanted to I could. Nothing really wrong with doing that on FSX.

Though there are a lot more important things to add in IL-2 GBs, IMO, I wouldn’t mind seeing clickable cockpits being implemented at some point.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

ok sorry, I dont play DCS and long time I dont play FSX so I didn't remember.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

you're taking this hard arent you? Is he a friend of yours?

I take alot of things hard.  Can I has a hug?

Back to the original poster though, you will find this is an excellent community with some fantastic people.  Just give it an honest go.  You will likely enjoy your time here.  At least, I hope you do.

Edited by JG51_Beazil
Manners
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ME-BFMasserME262 said:

the day they put clickable cockpits, they lose me as a client of theirs

Why?

FA33DE1E-B278-481B-86EA-5588C4DB0106.jpeg.4fac9cb1ebffa38dc4abb167e518f9c5.jpeg

Because your principal against clickable pits. 
If they add clickable pits (we  all know they wont)

they can be chosen not to be used. Like in DCS I mostly dont. Because you can use buttons instead

Edited by No.322_LuseKofte
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Question. If IL-2 had clickable cockpits, how exactly would you use them effectively when combined with VR and HOTAS? Using a HOTAS requires two hands at least some of the time, so you can't hold a VR controller to click the cockpit. If you put the controller down then how do you keep track of it's position and orientation with your headset on? If it leaves a "hand" floating in VR space then how does that not break immersion? The same applies to a lesser degree in having to take your hand off the HOTAS to use the mouse if you're playing pancake mode. (With most people being right-handed, this would mean taking your hand off the stick rather than the throttle too, the last thing you want to be doing in a fight.)

But if we had full VR-enabled cockpits, then you wouldn't need the HOTAS because you could "grab" the actual stick and throttle, right? Well, I've played a lot of VTOL VR and one of the biggest issues I have is the total lack of feel when using the virtual controls. You have no idea how far you are moving them without looking, and after a few manoeuvres your real hands are often way off from where your virtual hands are. You kind of get used to it after a while, but it never feels good or anywhere near as precise and immersive as a physical controller.

These problems are one of the reasons IL-2 is my main VR flight sim... if not my only one, right now. The fact it is WWII means you need far, far less controls than you need on a modern jet fighter with all of it's tech and weapon systems, so I can put 99% of the controls I need directly on my HOTAS. The only things I even need the keyboard for are braking after landing and bailing out, and I've bound these to key combinations that are extremely easy to reach without ever needing to look at the keyboard.

So as a VR player, my reasoning has nothing to do with an "intense hatred of clickable cockpits" at all. Indeed, if VTOL VR required the keyboard I wouldn't even bother with it, as it has far too many controls to comfortably memorise or map to a HOTAS. But for IL-2 it has to do with the practicality of actually playing the game comfortably and immersively, neither of which would be helped by clickable cockpits or VR controls in my view. Therefore, I would rather the devs concentrate on other areas rather than wasting time on a feature that I don't believe the majority of players want or need, VR or not.

It's a shame it's such a big deal for you, because you are really missing out by abandoning IL-2. But each to their own I suppose.

• Upvote 4

40 minutes ago, Goffik said:

Question. If IL-2 had clickable cockpits, how exactly would you use them effectively when combined with VR and HOTAS? 

Have a button on the HOTAS for clicking, look around with VR at what you want to operate and use button. This is how I do it in DCS. Using VR controllers only to control any aircraft that detailed seems like an exercise in frustration.

An aircraft with a clickable cockpit costs as much for each aircraft ($30-$60) as an entire game here in IL-2 with ten aircraft. So it’s infeasible for this type of sim. 
And they are only really needed in WWII era planes to start the aircraft. Every control used in flight or combat can be mapped to a HOTAS. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

An aircraft with a clickable cockpit costs as much for each aircraft ($30-$60) as an entire game here in IL-2 with ten aircraft.

You know this how?