Sign in to follow this  
the_dudeWG

Switching to VR and back often

Hi, all. Does anyone ever switch to VR and back to monitor display often in IL-2? I'd be curious if anyone has developed an easy method for this. I'm asking because I'm making skins for Flying Circus, and I'd like to load them up quickly in-game, without setting up my flight gear and VR headset, inspect them in game and take screenshots of them in the highest resolution possible. Then, when I'm going to actually play the game in VR, switch all my graphic settings for better a better balance of performance to visual. Would having two different config files resolve this? Thanks for any advice regarding this. S!

Create one shortcut for each version of the game.

Non VR Shortcut

Right Click > In the target Box add or_enable=0

Example "D:\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game\Il-2.exe" or_enable=0

VR Shortcut

Change the relevant part to

or_enable=1

Now just use the relevant shortcut to start the sim.

And how all other the settings can be changed (VR vs monitor)?

Maybe with a bat file renaming the startup.cfg files?

Off topic - but I often think it would be kind of cool for skinners if they could actually use room scale VR and walk up alongside a 1:1 sized plane model and actually paint it directly rather than the inverse of working on flat image files.

I tend to test all my skins in the viewer and then make pretties by flying in VR and then switching of VR to recore or take screenshots.

I also wish there was a basic "walk" feature too!

12 hours ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

Off topic - but I often think it would be kind of cool for skinners if they could actually use room scale VR and walk up alongside a 1:1 sized plane model and actually paint it directly rather than the inverse of working on flat image files.

oh yes, and i still hope that dorothys shoes turn blue

I recommend using the skin's viewer. If you solely want to remain within VR, 

switch SteamVR to its beta channel, add https://github.com/OpenVR-Advanced-Settings/OpenVR-AdvancedSettings  and enjoy the new SteamVR desktop features which actually let you have the thing render pretty sharp, depending on the headset you have. 

Maybe I'm missing the point, but can't you just enable and disable VR from the settings tab in the Il-2 launcher? It's what I do if I want to check something in Il-2 without setting up my VR gear.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, nickj123 said:

Maybe I'm missing the point, but can't you just enable and disable VR from the settings tab in the Il-2 launcher? It's what I do if I want to check something in Il-2 without setting up my VR gear.

Good point. It's probably a new option as it was not there before but it's good to know it's there now.

Make a copy of your game and have one as VR and the other for monitor. I do this for testing missions and skins.

46 minutes ago, HunDread said:

Good point. It's probably a new option as it was not there before but it's good to know it's there now.

Ahh OK, I'm new to VR and didn't realise it was a relatively new addition.

1 hour ago, No601_Prangster said:

Make a copy of your game and have one as VR and the other for monitor. I do this for testing missions and skins.

That’s an interesting solution. Do you know how much extra storage this uses? My new build is only a 1Tb NVMe SSD, so space is at a premium until prices come down and I can add a 2nd larger one in the future. Cheers!

As previously mentioned, it is just so very easy to use the Launcher for this...

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, nickj123 said:

Yeah, but I want the best graphic settings possible for inspecting skins and taking screenshots. My VR use will require unique graphic settings for better performance and I would need to load the game, change them, and reload the game every time I want to switch. I’d like to avoid having to constantly change these back and forth. 

Edited by the_dudeWG

1 minute ago, the_dudeWG said:

Yeah, but I want the best graphic settings possible for inspecting skins and taking screenshots. My VR launch settings will require unique graphic settings for better performance. I’d like to avoid having to constantly change these back and forth. 

Sounds like a separate install may be your best option then - although chiliwili69 may be onto something with running a batch file to change the Il-2 config file between VR and 2D settings?

34 minutes ago, the_dudeWG said:

That’s an interesting solution. Do you know how much extra storage this uses? My new build is only a 1Tb NVMe SSD, so space is at a premium until prices come down and I can add a 2nd larger one in the future. Cheers!

I think the base install is under 20GB but my install has lots of skins so about 35GB.

• Thanks 1

On 12/30/2019 at 5:57 AM, chiliwili69 said:

And how all other the settings can be changed (VR vs monitor)?

Maybe with a bat file renaming the startup.cfg files?

I think maybe having two different startup config files stored with one having a deactivating prefix is the simplest option. That would be good enough for my needs ... if it works. I think I’ll give that a try. S!

54 minutes ago, the_dudeWG said:

I think maybe having two different startup config files stored with one having a deactivating prefix is the simplest option. That would be good enough for my needs ... if it works. I think I’ll give that a try. S!

This is what I do with dcs and it works well. Never got round to doing it for BoX as always use VR. Be interested to see how it goes though. 

• Thanks 1