Jump to content
[=PzG=]-FlyinPinkPanther

In-Game Communication

Recommended Posts

I seen it mentioned before in passing, but I am curious to why there is no in-game communication. 

I know there is Discord and teamspeak, but unless you are with a group of people I find very few people are on either one. 

Currently;

Combat Box (39 total (13 on discord)

This is unusually high from what I noticed. On teamspeak, I also noticed the lack of use. 

 

This being said. Other MP games have in game communication. It seems like a logical inclusion to allow to communicate directly in game. There is a radio in plane- tailor made for communication. 

 

Related but different topic

Radar would also be a nice addition. Currently, the "reporting" system is more consistent with someone hanging out their window with a telephone in their hand. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the why is that it's a feature that has some technology and complexity involved and the team has had other, bigger fish to fry.

 

As for the benefits of having a built in system, I'm 100% sold on the idea after my experiences with SRS and DCS World. The opportunities for immersion (using semi-realistic radio communications) on the one hand and spontaneous teamwork and team coordination on the other really make for an incredible experience. For anyone not in the know on this, SRS is third party and integrates with DCS World's aircraft so when you control the radio in the aircraft it controls the VOIP system which gives you an approximation of what radio would be like.

 

I suppose there's a possibility that SRS could be adapted for IL-2 if the developers made that a possibility. The one area that would need work is on the aircraft integration side then where radio controls would need to be setup - and IMHO I'd love it if they were semi-realistic to the channel operation of WWII aircraft.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great idea, would something like that be disabled for non-radio carrying aircraft? Certainly it could be an option for servers I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah SRS is fantastic for DCS. Takes radio communications to a whole new level. I too would welcome something similar, especially taking into consideration the quality of the radios of the planes at the timeframe too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah! Let's use those resources for other more important areas to improve. We already have Discord and Teamspeak to cover this.

Edited by JG7_X-Man
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be cool, i love it in Hell Let Loose.

 

However i do agree with those who say that they have bigger fish to fry and definitely lots of core improvements need to take place before we move on to voip.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Nah! Let's use those resources for other more important areas to improve. We already have Discord and Teamspeak to cover this.

I'm in agreement here. Completely unnecessary feature in today's internet climate.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a thread about this before. Lots of drama for such an innocent topic...

 

Anyway, something like 90% of IL-2 players play SP iirc, so don't expect this anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JG7_X-Man said:

Nah! Let's use those resources for other more important areas to improve. We already have Discord and Teamspeak to cover this.

 

Yeah, this would be a great ting to use, but it isn't being used as i noted in the OP. Additionally, TS and Discord does not allow for immersions. It simply cannot nor will ever replicate the communication that existed in the war. If your sole aim is to shoot down planes and immersions isn't what you seek, then TS and discord is just as well for you. 

 

2 hours ago, AntonThugginsIII said:

There was a thread about this before. Lots of drama for such an innocent topic...

 

Anyway, something like 90% of IL-2 players play SP iirc, so don't expect this anytime soon.

 

This is irrelevant. if you provide for MP, then you should provide the resources for it. 

My short time I here I noticed if you if the wheels squeak loud enough they tend to it. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, AntonThugginsIII said:

There was a thread about this before. Lots of drama for such an innocent topic...

 

Anyway, something like 90% of IL-2 players play SP iirc, so don't expect this anytime soon.


I think this is an interesting point!  I feel IL-2 is very tailored towards single player, and the multiplayer scene hasn't recieved much developer focus. 
If most of the development time goes into single player then why would people want to play multiplayer?

If time was taken to focus on some multiplayer additions I think those stats would quickly change.
I personally really love multiplayer but it can often be extremely boring/ frustrating as in-game coordination is non-existent.
While it is possible to join team speaks or discord servers, it is not nearly as enjoyable nor realistic as in-game solutions and can often be annoying to find the correct servers, channels etc. 

Obviously we have the air marshal role in development, but I really struggle to see how it will help to encourage any multiplayer coordination as it will still not have any communication besides easy to miss text boxes. and I don't really see a message saying "Hey, Frogface. Go shoot the tanks" as being very engaging or different that the current multiplayer model.

I strongly feel that a basic yet realistic in-game comms system would greatly help the multiplayer scene as it would encourage more teamwork which is currently sorely lacking. I think this could work really well with the air marshal role too. The air marshal could organise a small team at an airfield, the team could then use the radio to coordinate between themselves. Once back at base they could then update the air marshal on how the mission went which they would in turn relay to the rest of the pilots in the server furthering the battle.

The real issue is that even a simple system would require some dev time to create and implement, which means that's less time spent making planes and thus money. The team can't exactly sell us a comms system, and if they did it would be a big mistake to lock fundamental features behind a pay wall. Instead I think multiplayer could be better utilised as addition revenue sources, if co-op was better realised I would love to buy co-op mission packs to play for example. I feel not everyone would agree but I would also love to purchase (realistic) skins for my aircraft or nose art. these things could help to justify the costs of developers building on the multiplayer framework.

Edited by Frogface
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would pay for an in-game com system if money is an issue. In a heart beat. Everything yo wrote is dead on. Unless you are flying with someone (prearrange) and you are TS or Discord. It is frustrating then you have to deal with the text thing. That is hard to do while flying checking your 6 and scanning for planes. For the Devs; I will PAY for the feature to be developed. I would be willing to bet MP players would do the same. 

 

Again today, i check both discord and TS for TAW and Combat Box and still hardly anyone on it. In fact, the times I enters the "rooms" the conversation had nothing to do with an ongoing game.  So for people to say there is already something (TS and Discord) I will say no we don't. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Idk. But Mostly I do go in just for one mission or two. Maybe many more does this? And a communication system like this would be nice. 
mostly I don’t bother to use discord. 
I would be more active if I flew with a wingman

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have already discussed this subject several times, as there, and Jason had been closed.
But what was true yesterday may not be true tomorrow?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 2:39 PM, IV./JG51-Anton_Hafner said:

 

I seen it mentioned before in passing, but I am curious to why there is no in-game communication. 

I know there is Discord and teamspeak, but unless you are with a group of people I find very few people are on either one. 

 

 

I suspect most people, me included; do not want to be on comms.  Not on Discord.  Not on Teamspeak.  And not in-game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I assumed that the discussion was discussed before. It interesting to see the same points made (including the false point that TS/Discord actually serves that purpose). I was surprise it was brought up here given it was debunk rather clearly then. As I said previously. I would totally pay for the feature. I think any active MP player would also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

I suspect most people, me included; do not want to be on comms.  Not on Discord.  Not on Teamspeak.  And not in-game.  

 

LOL, that's defeats the purpose of MP. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

I suspect most people, me included; do not want to be on comms.  Not on Discord.  Not on Teamspeak.  And not in-game.  

 

There is a quick chat menu using ² and the F1 F2 F3 touchs, we can actually give orders to gunners, or do gestual orders.

In my opinion this feature should be developped to give more options and give order on coms or team chat.

"I see contact", "need help", "climb", "dive", "fighter on your six", "break", "I return to base", "request cover", "Attack AA", "Attack tanks", etc...

 

That will help teamplay even for guys who don't want to be on coms, who have no mics, or have difficulty to speak or understand an other language than their own.

 

This feature was on Battlefield 1942, and for what I remenber, that worked well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, JG7_X-Man said:

Nah! Let's use those resources for other more important areas to improve. We already have Discord and Teamspeak to cover this.

 

Totally agree. While having some kind of immersive comms system would be nice for those that actually use it, I don't think it's important enough to take time and effort away from the main game. This is especially true given that we have perfectly good alternatives already. Just because people aren't on TeamSpeak or Discord doesn't mean they don't know about them, they may just not want to talk to other players. So having in-game comms won't necessarily result in more people talking.

 

1 hour ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

I suspect most people, me included; do not want to be on comms.  Not on Discord.  Not on Teamspeak.  And not in-game.  

 

32 minutes ago, IV./JG51-Anton_Hafner said:

 

LOL, that's defeats the purpose of MP. 

 

No it doesn't. The main purpose of MP is to play with and against other humans rather than being stuck with the AI. Talking to those humans can be useful but is not entirely necessary. Indeed, these days it can be better not to bother. I don't play BoX online so can't comment on it's community, but I have played other games and listening to idiots screaming into their mics, breathing too heavily, bitching when they lose, trying to order others around, etc etc... it really ruins the fun. I run an online racing club myself and over the last few years the number of people getting on TeamSpeak has dropped dramatically, for this very reason. They just want to race without the annoying BS.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Goffik said:

No it doesn't. The main purpose of MP is to play with and against other humans rather than being stuck with the AI. Talking to those humans can be useful but is not entirely necessary. Indeed, these days it can be better not to bother. I don't play BoX online so can't comment on it's community, but I have played other games and listening to idiots screaming into their mics, breathing too heavily, bitching when they lose, trying to order others around, etc etc... it really ruins the fun. I run an online racing club myself and over the last few years the number of people getting on TeamSpeak has dropped dramatically, for this very reason. They just want to race without the annoying BS.

 

Racing is an extremely different scenario to air combat and is a lot less teamwork driven

 

The Other Flight Game has a 3rd party VOIP client that plugs into in-game radios and the servers that enforce it (ie connect or get kicked, don't have to talk, but at least listen) are by far the best ones. It's much, much easier to co-ordinate attacks, find allies, protect each other. All we have consistently right now is someone going "666666666" at one person in team chat and the entire server going into turns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 All we have consistently right now is someone going "666666666" at one person in team chat and the entire server going into turns

 

Is that what that is about?  I thought they were all Satanists. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Original IL2 had this long ago. I already posted about this in another one of these comms threads, but it's worth saying again.

 

It was a simple affair and it worked. I used  it with guys in the squad I flew in back then and I liked it. If I remember right it had sort of crackling effect, which I found quite cool and immersive.

 

1754281772_ForgottenRadio.JPG.7b2e307d6fde70b448f65d54435bd8b9.JPG

 

I also liked that it had a press to talk feature, as this stops lots of radio spam.

 

Anyhow I'd prefer this over any of the 3rd party options and most certainly over the AI radio spam we now have ;) 

 

2 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

 

Is that what that is about?  I thought they were all Satanists. 

 

I thought that too, even to the point of avoiding a few people :biggrin:

Edited by Pict
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be good to have in game comms introduced at some point as it does enhance the MP experience of most games IME  (Providing it also includes a mute feature!).

 

Still, with discord and TS, i wouldn't consider it a high priority at least from my perspective (I play mostly SP). 

 

I would like some bug fixing, map improvements and overall sound improvements to be prioritised..... but hey, I'm not the developer!  😁

 

To be fair, I am happy with the improvements we have received in 2019 and hope we get similar progress in 2020, I've got faith the devs will continue the good work (Very excited about Normandy and I have barely scratched the surface of BoBP).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True discord and team speak are fantastic, I’m only with about 3-4 friends though... 

having the ability to call out to a friendly in the area if you need help or see them in trouble... I would prefer then to see “6666” like stated above...

also, we could rid of the “im wounded”, “out of fuel”, and other messages that don’t concern us... 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, spartan85 said:

also, we could rid of the “im wounded”, “out of fuel”, and other messages that don’t concern us... 

 

 

If you turn the radio volume down to zero, those messages should disappear along with the sounds attached to them. It's like turning the radio off.

 

I think :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But as silly as this sounds.. doesn’t the auto radio calls take up resources? As minor as they would be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

S! All

 

Some servers offer a public TS or Discord.

 

"Gosh, I do not see a lot of people in there."    Because a many squads have their own TS or Discord and do not want to hear stuff from a fight by other pilots all the way on the other side of the map. They just want to communicate with the people in their flight. Fifteen people on a team does not work well with fifteen people in the same channel. If it was in game you would have people on your channel that that should be on another channel. Just changing channels does not work. They will follow you.  For more than a flight of two to be effective you have to know the pilots voice and know his plane by sight. 

 

 

No need to waste resources on something that was handled many years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

No need to waste resources on something that was handled many years ago.

 

Nothing has been handled. If you have been able to try Squad, Hell Let Loose, or other games with built-in communications, you know that it is a completely different experience.

 

Your post is like saying we dont need a forum because we already have the postal service at our disposal to send each other letters.

 

---

Hell let loose is using Vivox Communications.

https://www.vivox.com/

It looks like it integrates with any game engine and it's FREE until 5000 peak concurrent users.

Edited by Jade_Monkey
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's worth noting that applications like Teamspeak and Discord are great, but also do a poor job of simulating radio communications in WWII. 

 

For one thing, most aircraft were on unit specific frequencies and there was often no way to change frequencies on the fly.  Late in the war, American fighters in the ETO had what was considered a very advanced radio, and it had 4 channels that were pre-set.  Most aircraft throughout the war had less capable sets.

 

There were (and still are to this day) significant limits to HF and VHF radio range, depending on power of the transmitter, antenna size and line of sight.  You couldn't instantly communicate with people on the other side of the map.

 

Two or more people couldn't talk at once.  When one transmitter is sending on the frequency - sounds great and every can hear.  The moment a second transmitter starts broadcasting at the same time, you are now jamming each others signals.  For the same reason, you also can't hear anyone else when you are broadcasting.  Thus when large formations engaged in combat the radio would often become near unuseable during the fight because so many people were trying to call warnings.

 

Lastly, opponents would try to listen to each others radio transmissions (through ground stations etc) as well as jam opponent communications.

 

I think it would be amazing to have an immersive, realistic in game radio system.  But it would be a lot more complicated then just slapping in your own version of team speak.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they did implement this, my hope is that the enemy could DF you and direct enemy fighters to you to punish your poor comms discipline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Goffik said:

No it doesn't. The main purpose of MP is to play with and against other humans rather than being stuck with the AI. Talking to those humans can be useful but is not entirely necessary. Indeed, these days it can be better not to bother. I don't play BoX online so can't comment on it's community, but I have played other games and listening to idiots screaming into their mics, breathing too heavily, bitching when they lose, trying to order others around, etc etc... it really ruins the fun. I run an online racing club myself and over the last few years the number of people getting on TeamSpeak has dropped dramatically, for this very reason. They just want to race without the annoying BS.

 

Being annoyed by bad players comes back often, but is not valid.

Using a PTT button takes away a lot of the trouble, and for the screaming or unpleasant player, all you need is a mute button.


Having a radio system in play does not prevent people from using TS or Discord nearby.

A team A on TS could coordinate with a team B on discord with a PTT key.

 

But the integration of a "realistic" voip with a link to what will be the marshall mode, could be really extraordinary.

Marshall mode has been pushed back on the calendar, there may be a reason for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, KW_1979 said:

Two or more people couldn't talk at once.  When one transmitter is sending on the frequency - sounds great and every can hear.  The moment a second transmitter starts broadcasting at the same time, you are now jamming each others signals.  For the same reason, you also can't hear anyone else when you are broadcasting.  Thus when large formations engaged in combat the radio would often become near unuseable during the fight because so many people were trying to call warnings.

 

Exactly^.

 

I'm guessing what the guys are asking for, is team speak implemented in-game - nobody wants all the negatives of radio realism from WW2 - like il2s not having radios in the beginning, or bad ones, etc, just like people don't want bad Plexiglas on their plane. We want real, but not really-real. Perhaps, some mild crackle, but not too much.

 

People will still call "666" even when using a radio, but this time they will say "break", and the whole server will break. There are real life accounts of this happening and it happens on TS as well.

1 hour ago, JG1_Butzzell said:

"Gosh, I do not see a lot of people in there."    Because a many squads have their own TS or Discord and do not want to hear stuff from a fight by other pilots all the way on the other side of the map. They just want to communicate with the people in their flight. Fifteen people on a team does not work well with fifteen people in the same channel. If it was in game you would have people on your channel that that should be on another channel. Just changing channels does not work. They will follow you.  For more than a flight of two to be effective you have to know the pilots voice and know his plane by sight. 

 

And also this^.

1 hour ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Nothing has been handled. If you have been able to try Squad, Hell Let Loose, or other games with built-in communications, you know that it is a completely different experience.

 

I also play Post scriptum. Not sure if you ever tried being a Squad Lead. The Squad Lead is connected to the squad lead's channel, it's own squad channel and the platoon lead's channel. When everybody starts talking, it's a mess. There is no radio discipline, so this is something that the devs will have to pay attention to if they want to implement comms in-game.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For tournament play we often have 20 + people on TS on  each side.  Each side splits into different channels.  A player can have a "Whisper" button so the y can talk to another channel.  This allows for local flight coms. So the bomber group sees enemy planes heading for Sector 2021. The flight lead pressed his com button for the fighter channel. "Gold leader to Red flight." "Red flight here Gold leader" " Three enemy seen heading west to 2021 at 2500 meters" " Copy Gold leader."       Whispers can be to a channel or a person. This allows for command and control as well as limited coms for individual flights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In-game VOIP is a luxury feature for my small team. I have no body that has time to implement it. Would be cool, but not on m y current to-do list.

 

Jason 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's disappointing  that there are no plans for  in-game VOIP.  The Balkanization of Comms caused by the numerous Teamspeak/Discord servers causes a real coordination problem for casual players.   I really hope the Air Marshall feature addresses this issue in some fashion.  The new maps are way too big to fly alone.  Flying around for 40 minutes over the wrong target during non-peak server hours sucks.  It's even worse when you get gang-banged by 5 dudes in the same squad.  That would be the typical multi-player experience for someone that just bought the game.  It's no fun and not likely to lead to the purchase of more modules by new players.  

Edited by NO_SQDeriku777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a real shame to hear that there are still no plans for voip, the multiplayer experience is so uncoordinated that it basically plays just like single player currently.


Is there any status updates on the Air Marshal role? It's been a fair while since we last heard about it and I really don't feel I've heard what the goal and overall design is going to be. Without clear player-to-player communication I don't understand how it'll function effectively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NO_SQDeriku777 said:

It's disappointing  that there are no plans for  in-game VOIP.  The Balkanization of Comms caused by the numerous Teamspeak/Discord servers causes a real coordination problem for casual players.   I really hope the Air Marshall feature addresses this issue in some fashion.  The new maps are way too big to fly alone.  Flying around for 40 minutes over the wrong target during non-peak server hours sucks.  It's even worse when you get gang-banged by 5 dudes in the same squad.  That would be the typical multi-player experience for someone that just bought the game.  It's no fun and not likely to lead to the purchase of more modules by new players.  

 

Make some friends or double the size my team. Which is easier?

 

Jason

1 hour ago, Frogface said:

That is a real shame to hear that there are still no plans for voip, the multiplayer experience is so uncoordinated that it basically plays just like single player currently.


Is there any status updates on the Air Marshal role? It's been a fair while since we last heard about it and I really don't feel I've heard what the goal and overall design is going to be. Without clear player-to-player communication I don't understand how it'll function effectively.

 

I'm not in charge of coordination between players. I make the game, you guys play it. Marshal is in testing finally, but is buggy currently.

 

Jason

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

 

Make some friends or double the size my team. Which is easier?

 

Jason

 

4 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

 

Make some friends or double the size my team. Which is easier?

 

Jason

So, no Air Marshall any time soon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question may be stupid, but how does srs simple radio work on DCS ?
What I understood, it is in fact a mod which is installed at the player, and on the server, which makes use of the radio commands available in game ?
And the VOIP part is managed by a program developed by a third party ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...