adler_1

To remove the plexiglass canopy scratches

Sunglare and  scratches are a perfect alibi  for camouflaging the adversary when at a distance . Time and time again i have lost track of my targets from a distance  due to that  factor . Is there a way of using the alpha to get to the glass in the canopy and do away with the scratches  or is it locked in the game ?

It's pretty much buried in the .gtp files for the aircraft parts ie NOT in the templates. You probably COULD do something about it although it would definitely require Mods On to be checked if you did and you would have to do it with all your aircraft.

If you DID go down that route, wouldn't it remove any claim you had on the immersive quality of the game? It's the same for everyone (the cockpit scratches and such) so you could even be accused of cheating if you took this path?

Just saying...

Rap

I like the scratches. It is part of the realism of the game. The density and contrast of armour glass, particularly that with heating element coatings sandwiched in between glass layers too. Keep it up!

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Gagarins_Lunch said:

I like the scratches

I don't. They're way overdone.

I'd chew my crewchief's butt to shreds if my (his) airplane had such a shitty canopy.

I have NEVER flown an airplane with such scratched canopies. That includes a duckton of club-airplanes and rentals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I never thought of them as scratches. Plexiglas, because it's flexible, can develop small cracks (or, perhaps, that's the nature of Plexiglas), which are only visible from certain angles.

Watch here, from 2:49:

https://youtu.be/nw0gjw1XIIk?t=169

and here, from 5:18, right behind the pilot's head, when the sun becomes visible:

https://youtu.be/nw0gjw1XIIk?t=318

and here 6:21, you can see quite a lot of them, around the sun:

https://youtu.be/nw0gjw1XIIk?t=381

Perhaps, this is the best example, at 36:39:

https://youtu.be/fmW9M5fw-D0?t=2199

Edited by Raven109

9 minutes ago, Raven109 said:

I never thought of them as scratches. Plexiglas, because it's flexible, can develop small cracks, which are only visible from certain angles.

True, but that's not what's depicted in game.

What we're seeing in game is random scratches all across the glass - either by the pilot's head repeatedly banging and wiping all over the canopy or because some crew-chief-apprentice is using the same rag to clean the canopy as the one he uses to wipe the hangar-floor. What makes it worse is that they're in the same plane of  focus as everything you see, so they're always focussed.

IRL when you're not focussing them, they'd have much less of an impact.

Edited by Bremspropeller
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bremspropeller said:

What makes it worse is that they're in the same plane of  focus as everything you see, so they're always focussed.

IRL when you're not focussing them, they'd have much less of an impact

Totally agree on this.

Hello,

At the start of the war, the Russians had no control over the production of plexiglass. It was of poor quality and this is one of the reasons why the pilots preferred to fly with the glass roof open.
For the Germans it is the problem of molding. This is the reason that they had many faceted canopies. Bf109, Ju88.

The molded canopies appeared very gradually with simple shapes first and late.

The bubble glassmakers arrived at the end of the war, among the English and the Americans.

I think that the plexiglass of the English and Americans was better than that of the Russians and the Germans. We cannot therefore treat the subject of scratches in the same way depending on whether we are at the start of the war or at the end.

I had the opportunity to fly an AIR102 glider from 1947 which was classified competition at the time simply because it had a molded canopy while the other gliders of this period were without canopy or with faceted canopy.

In 1947 a molded canopy was a great luxury. !!!

We cannot compare with our more modern planes.

Therefore the scratches do not shock me ... they are only maybe too strong for some planes.

Edited by MarcoPegase44
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 12/30/2019 at 7:23 AM, Raptorattacker said:

's pretty much buried in the .gtp files for the aircraft parts ie NOT in the templates

Is this true as well of the Ju-87 dive angle lines on the cockpit glass?  Meaning, for example, it's not possible to make dive angle lines for the P-38?

49 minutes ago, VBF-12_Swampy said:

it's not possible to make dive angle lines for the P-38?

Pretty much, yeah. You probably COULD do it but you would definitely need 'Mods On' checked if you did.

Rap

I recognise some of the things mentioned here.
But my view might be different because im new to IL-2 BoS.

I have no issue with the scratches making me lose view of the other plane. I lose the view of the other plane because i simply have trouble spotting them against the background.

But that, for me, stands seperately from the scratches in the cockpit canopy. But yes, these scratches are very visible and i cannot remember seeing this when i was still flying sailplanes/soaring planes (im not sure how they are called).

I used to fly planes like PZL puchacz and PZL junior and these also had plexi canopies.

On 12/29/2019 at 11:55 PM, dog1 said:

Sunglare and  scratches are a perfect alibi  for camouflaging the adversary when at a distance . Time and time again i have lost track of my targets from a distance  due to that  factor . Is there a way of using the alpha to get to the glass in the canopy and do away with the scratches  or is it locked in the game ?

You Could ask @LizLemon  for fine tuning.  

On the otherhand thats why I love flying WW1 & Russian planes, that imperfection and simplicity, keeps the game for me interesting in flying. Yes I’m absolutely not an modern jet-fan. 

Edited by Dutch2

what bothers me more is not the scratches as that can happen its the giant fingerprints on 110 cockpit glass all over place. 
seriously can i just wash my plane?

• Upvote 2

Recently i've been flying the Dora and noticed the bubble canopy  extremely dirty with what looks like oil   , i was worried i was cooking the engine , it was so dark in the evening  with black transparent blotches , after a few flights i realised it is like that by default .