Sign in to follow this  
Bearcat

I WANT ONE!!!!!

That would be great. I wonder it it would work with Oculus Rift?

Now where did I put my lotto ticket? :)

Edited by Skoshi_Tiger

That's pretty damn cool. Unfortunately it's War Thunder being played teaching that kid some very bad piloting. He didn't use the pedals once and it was either wonder woman or external view POV being used. Icky.

Edited by FuriousMeow
  • Upvote 3

wow talk about a waste. 777/1c sign deal with them now. that contraption deserves some better software

C'mon, there must be enough guys here with military experience, how about we plan a little operation to "A'hem" liberate it  ?   I'm not saying the idea is totally original, just thinking out loud, if you know what I mean  ;)

Ocean%27sEleven%281960%29Poster.jpeg

No offense, but why is everyone so upset that whatever the hardware was (the link is blocked on my network for some reason) is being used on War Thunder? The guys who made War Thunder are pretty nice guys, or at least the ones I've spoken to. I can get not liking the game, but the constant bashing of the game is getting a bit old. Shouldn't we be focusing on how awesome BoS is (despite being unfinished), rather than the problems some of us have with WT (possibly because it's unfinished)? And anyway, WT never set out to be a 100% realistic simulation, so when you look at it that way, it may still not be to your liking, but it does exactly what it claims to do. Anyway, let's not turn this thread into a War Thunder thread. I'll shut up now.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what this apparatus is :)

so I bet none of you seen this

I will sell everything I have to get that beautiful thing!

Edited by [AJSA]_Cybermat47

I think I've seen this before, but can't quite remember where. Any leads or links to who might be producing this? I agree, combined with the Oculus Rift or other VR device this would be amazing!

EDIT:

voila' 

http://www.xd-attraction.ru/fly-motion.html

you're looking at £20k for the one in the video, it's the price of a medium car... well worth it if you ask me! 

Edited by Sternjaeger

you're looking at £20k for the one in the video, it's the price of a medium car... well worth it if you ask me!

You don't need to tell us! Man, I'd use that thing for all my flying games, from War Thunder to DCS: World. Might even fool around with it in a game of Halo :)

No offense, but why is everyone so upset that whatever the hardware was (the link is blocked on my network for some reason) is being used on War Thunder? The guys who made War Thunder are pretty nice guys, or at least the ones I've spoken to. I can get not liking the game, but the constant bashing of the game is getting a bit old. Shouldn't we be focusing on how awesome BoS is (despite being unfinished), rather than the problems some of us have with WT (possibly because it's unfinished)? And anyway, WT never set out to be a 100% realistic simulation, so when you look at it that way, it may still not be to your liking, but it does exactly what it claims to do. Anyway, let's not turn this thread into a War Thunder thread. I'll shut up now.

Anyway, I'm curious as to what this apparatus is :)

I will sell everything I have to get that beautiful thing!

I'll bite.

War Thunder strikes me as sneaking off with the Simulation title tucked under its coat.

What do I mean?

Well we all know that "Simulation" battles in WT are pretty much sim-lite, the FMs are "balanced" rather than accurate and are often all over the place anyway. Yet WT being a rather more mainstream game makes its "Simulator" battles appear to be the be all and end all of Flight Simulation, which they obviously aren't. But the impression this makes amongst the gaming community at large is detrimental to us here in the real hardcore simulator genre (where's my monocle?). In turn this prevents people, as we might have hoped, from using WT as an entry level Combat flight game and instead they "progress" (if at all) into WT simulator battles and just stop, thinking that's the end of everything.

This, obviously, is a thing that is detrimental to our own hobby.

Anyway, it's just easy to hate on War Thunder, it walks around asking for it. I tried it's realistic battles once (simulator matchmaking is too slow down here in Aus, and I couldn't use my zero anyway), then tried BoS MP for the first time. Man, but what a difference there was. After that I had to wonder how anyone could take WT dogfighting seriously.

I'll bite.

War Thunder strikes me as sneaking off with the Simulation title tucked under its coat.

What do I mean?

Well we all know that "Simulation" battles in WT are pretty much sim-lite, the FMs are "balanced" rather than accurate and are often all over the place anyway. Yet WT being a rather more mainstream game makes its "Simulator" battles appear to be the be all and end all of Flight Simulation, which they obviously aren't. But the impression this makes amongst the gaming community at large is detrimental to us here in the real hardcore simulator genre (where's my monocle?). In turn this prevents people, as we might have hoped, from using WT as an entry level Combat flight game and instead they "progress" (if at all) into WT simulator battles and just stop, thinking that's the end of everything.

This, obviously, is a thing that is detrimental to our own hobby.

Anyway, it's just easy to hate on War Thunder, it walks around asking for it. I tried it's realistic battles once (simulator matchmaking is too slow down here in Aus, and I couldn't use my zero anyway), then tried BoS MP for the first time. Man, but what a difference there was. After that I had to wonder how anyone could take WT dogfighting seriously.

You make a good post. Personally, I agree that when it comes to simulation, IL-2 Sturmovik is the king. Or maybe it's DCS. Or maybe it's both, I don't know.

Personally, I wish that Gaijin renamed 'Simulator Battles' to something closer to the truth, like 'Expert Battles' or something. It fits my difficulty niche, but it's not trying hard enough to be 100% accurate, so it can't really be called a simulator. It's a really fun game to play (for me at least), but it's not a flight sim. I don't know what category it goes in :unsure:

But I respectfully (because you're a cool guy) disagree about it being detrimental to our hobby. In the Simulator Battles forum on the War Thunder forum, and in in-game chat in a Simulator Battles match, all anybody seems to talk about is BoS. It looks to me like WT is actually attracting attention to BoS. And the WT fans who pick up a PC Pilot issue with a WT story will probably take a look at the BoS story in the same issue. I literally saw a guy who that would apply to on the WT forums. I had myself an evil little chuckle when I saw that there was a BoS story on the magazine he'd picked up and taken a picture of.

Personally, I'd recommend you at least try... *sigh*... 'Simulator' Battles again. I agree, the matchmaking is slow as hell down here in Australia, but Simulator Battles is OK. And, while you're waiting, you could read a book. That's what I do.

But if you don't like War Thunder, that's fine by me. You have a right to your own opinions, and I don't need to change them.

Well, OK, I do feel that I need to change them, but that's the stupid part of my brain. I suspect that the stupid part had something to do with writing my preachy signature. My preachy signature that's gone now. The stupid part of my brain will have to realise that I don't have to let everyone know that I'm a War Thunder fan. I think everyone will know that after this.

Damn, I just keep rambling, don't I?!

Edited by [AJSA]_Cybermat47

You have to take my post in whole Cybermat. It's not War Thunder, it's the terrible "skills" its teaching. That kid didn't touch his pedals once, he's just getting terrible impressions on how to "fly."

personally im trying racing games now form the late 90s early 2000

i really im not flight expert but know more about sim racing

the secret of todays games is understeer, like that any lousy pilot will keep on track

is not anymore about making a good sim but boosts people egos, i think leaderboards have no much future mainstream assetto dont use them

let me ask are wt planes oversteery or understeery?

that is if you fully pull the stick you pay for it with an spin or you get away with it and keep on?

i remember il246 there was a version with an understeery la5 or la7

i complained on the dumbe duels of both players with the stick fully pulled

i mean what engineer would set a racing car with understeer?

oleg team listened and swiftly solved it

understeer like traction control means the machine sets the limits for you and thats not the way of the force

http://www.starwars.com/watch/encyclo_one_in_a_million_shot.html

so if in wt you pull the stick fully any time what happens? a spin or not

from the answer my judgement

it was an answer to the way the conversation evolves

undesrsteers typical of console for the flaw controls prone to input excess

serious sim show oversteer more realistic as to take a machine to the limit but dificult to handle and nearly imposible with a ps controller

why is it that other can discuss wt and when i do so theres a problem?

i was just curious weather wt shows understeer as to work with a typical ps controller or not and so my question appropiate for it to be the topic in fashion

Edited by raaaid

i suppose if in wt you give input excess you dont spin as in il246

this i guess for most people use a ps like controller prone to imput excees with which everybody would be spinning like crazy

thats what understeers got to be with war thunder and we will always have paris left bongo :)

edit:

i seem to be under the impression you think just a car and not a plane can understeer or oversteer

Edited by raaaid

This should be interesting.

A plane can only understeer/oversteer on the ground, which is a very limited application since they are traveling at taxiing speeds.

well then maybe i have the concept wrong

how do you mean in a plane you give full joystick input but dont spin but slowly lose speed untill you stall?

seems like understeers to me

Seems like you haven't a clue on any basic fundamentals of flight. We'll just start with that.

On topic, I see one huge flaw with the device in the first post; Where do you put your drink?

• Upvote 1

Yes, we were dreaming for a machine like that in this thread:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/3703-bos-oculus-rift-viper/

These smart russian guys should start producing a more small sized machine to be used with the Oculus Rift and oriented for domestic use (and obiously reduce the price).

By replacing the monitor with the Oculus Rift they will be able to reduce a lot the size of the cockpit to the size of a glider cockpit like these:

http://www.fbg.h-da.de/en/projects/projekt_1/33/

http://www.flightmed.com.au/Cirrus_05.html

If done properly the whole machine could fit the room of a normal flat, so the number of potential buyers increase exponentially (obiously with a price in the range of 6000€).

I am sure that if they do a kickstarter there will be many support from the flying community.

And the WT fans who pick up a PC Pilot issue with a WT story will probably take a look at the BoS story in the same issue. I literally saw a guy who that would apply to on the WT forums. I had myself an evil little chuckle when I saw that there was a BoS story on the magazine he'd picked up and taken a picture of.

Haven't gotten an issue of PC Pilot in a while, have they been covering WT and BoS...?

Haven't gotten an issue of PC Pilot in a while, have they been covering WT and BoS...?

Judging from the cover of the issue that the guy posted on the WT forum, I'd say so.

I've been thinking about this overnight, and I really think that a "lighter" version with Oculus Rift will deliver by far the best experience, and should cost sensibly less, as it's not going to be as big and will not need a screen as well. 

I can imagine this in 5 years' time being more affordable, and perhaps then we'll all have one in our garage ;-)

I've been thinking about this overnight, and I really think that a "lighter" version with Oculus Rift will deliver by far the best experience, and should cost sensibly less, as it's not going to be as big and will not need a screen as well. 

I can imagine this in 5 years' time being more affordable, and perhaps then we'll all have one in our garage ;-)

No garage here, I think I will have to replace my bed with one of these XD 

• Upvote 1

with virtual reality google you could turn your house into an amzing palce with gorgeus views

and who cares of cockroaches if the dont exist in my virtual reality world

No garage here, I think I will have to replace my bed with one of these XD 

Good point actually... you could sleep in it... eat in it... fly in it... perfect! That has just solved the modern home!