jollyjack

Rise of Flight stll worth it?

Is Rise of Flight still worth it? There are some sales going on at Steam, non refundable though if you don't like it .. 2013 seems pretty outdated.

RoF discounts.jpg

Edited by jollyjack

Depends on what you like. If you like SP more than MP you'll get some fun out of it. MP scene is dead dead.

Fun to fly the early planes that aren't in FC yet.

Absolutely for single player.

For multiplayer, YMMV, even though some events such as Bloody April will necessarily keep taking place there for the time being.

Either way, it's a steal at that price. Get it! And give the Hanriot HD.1 a go.

Currently 15 flying RoF. Half an hour ago 0 on FC.

You can download for free from the site jj, let's you fly Spad 13, Alby DvA, and one of those horrible little Nieuport thingy's.

S!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

Is Rise of Flight still worth it? There are some sales going on at Steam, non refundable though if you don't like it .. 2013 seems pretty outdated.

I would stay away from Steam and just get the the free non-Steam version. It will let you evaluate the game and cherry-pick the planes you want.

Compared to Flying Circus, Rise of Flight will feel a lot more complete and a lot more comprehensive. At the moment, Flying Circus is fairly sparse when it comes to aircraft (especially early war aircraft) and doesn't have a lot in terms of map content. Rise of Flight may not be quite as fancy looking (though still no slouch) but it will feel a lot more like a dedicated WWI flight sim and I would argue that its early war aircraft selection makes it a lot more interesting in terms of flying. 

• Like 1

I agree with all the above statements, especially Cynic_Al's recommendation that you go for the free version instead of  Steam.You can check it out, and then add to your plane set as you wish. (BTW... All ROF content in the store is also on sale for 75% off)

https://riseofflight.com/game/

Bear in mind that once you go with Steam, you are stuck with that version.

Edited by J5_Gamecock
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 12/28/2019 at 10:02 PM, Cynic_Al said:

I would stay away from Steam and just get the the free non-Steam version. It will let you evaluate the game and cherry-pick the planes you want.

I really hate steam too LoL

On 12/28/2019 at 9:54 PM, J5_Hellbender-Sch27b said:

Absolutely for single player. .... Get it! And give the Hanriot HD.1 a go.

done

Bought  Channel map and the Felixtowe fly boat,  nice but i couldn't get it to drop any bomb so far .

PS which other planes and maps are interesting? Are there any torpedo bombers btw?

well i guess there's another forum for that.

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

I really hate steam too LoL

done

PS which other planes and maps are interesting? Are there any torpedo bombers btw?

Seaplanes and marine missions!

Channel map.

to consider for realism

mods:

No ambinet flak

Reduce Lethality (Aircraft Wing and Control Surfaces)

Reduced rate of fire,

Gunner and Pilot Hit Box Mod

+ improved (realistic) gunnery game realism option.

no  torpedo bombers in ROF

BTW The sale is active!!

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

thnx, Torpedos in IL2_1946; IMO the best of bombing sport was hitting fast moving boats and ships.

Edited by jollyjack

For SP, there's also a great icons mod.. if you ever use icons. Although, as neglected as icons are by the devs, RoF ones are less over powering than BoX icons.

There are also some texture mods that are well worth running with.

And the Wildflower mod is an absolute must !!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Bought  Channel map and the Felixtowe fly boat,  nice but i couldn't get it to drop any bomb so far .

Either you're using the wrong control for bomb release (default key: B), or you forgot to arm the plane.

The best thing about buying RoF content, is that the money goes towards supporting IL2 development.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

Either you're using the wrong control for bomb release (default key: B), or you forgot to arm the plane.

The best thing about buying RoF content, is that the money goes towards supporting IL2 development.

Arming the plane, guess i have to figure that out, but the selection and quality of some planes is quite good. I just bought that muromets IlL flying chicken pen, great, never knew these things existed LoL.

4 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

For SP, there's also a great icons mod.. if you ever use icons. Although, as neglected as icons are by the devs, RoF ones are less over powering than BoX icons.

There are also some texture mods that are well worth running with.

And the Wildflower mod is an absolute must !!

wildflower, where can you find that; all links i saw seem to be dead so far ... found a RoF refined 1.02 and a Modpack v8.036

Edited by jollyjack

Posted (edited)

Well Guys, thanks for all your support and tips, download links .... bought quite some RoF stuff in the sale; really like it, especially the marine stuff and sea-planes. Compared to FC1 it has quite some clout !!

On 12/29/2019 at 11:52 PM, J5_Gamecock said:

Bear in mind that once you go with Steam, you are stuck with that version.

Yeah, made that mistake once, it's like heroine, NEVER stick that needle in your bum, be warned !

Edited by jollyjack

On the other hand, if you prefer steam for your downloads, or just having all your games in one place, you can run the steam version, and just log into the game with your (prior) created web version account.

All the stuff you bought at the webstore will be there.

Posted (edited)

About Rise of Flight ..... 

After buying a few RoF add-ons and installing recommended mods mentioned above (thanks for the links), i actually wonder why FC1 at the price of 69.00 (paid last summer before it was launched) is really worth it as it is, even now after the first update. Why FC1 was not just simply upgraded from the RoF basis i wonder.

RoF has seemingly so much more aboard, especially at the sale pricing now going on. Some planes like the Airco DH4 and the Sopwith TriPlane are just great.

Hopefully FC1 gets at least a few planes extra and some bombers (free?) added. Some map extensions?

The mission editor in RoF; quite comprehensive, and compared to the FMB in IL2 BoX it's almost the same.

Edited by jollyjack

12 minutes ago, jollyjack said:

Hopefully FC1 gets at least a few planes extra and some bombers (free?) added. Some map extensions?

Keep pissing in the wind....

• Haha 1

I doubt you're going to get free stuff but hopefully there is more FC coming.  It's as simple as sales.  1C is not going to sign up to lose money.  If FC doesn't sell then there will be no more development. 

So why support FC if you can get more planes in RoF?  The answer is the future.  RoF is done.  It is what it is.  FC uses the updated engine with all of the advancements in that engine.  Better AI, FM, DM, VR, etc.  Not going to argue that you should or should not as that is an individual choice.  But if you want continued development on a WWI flight sim ... 

• Upvote 2

On 12/29/2019 at 2:52 PM, J5_Gamecock said:

I agree with all the above statements, especially Cynic_Al's recommendation that you go for the free version instead of  Steam.

But the AI in ROF even with  AI mod's is still awfully terrible - revisited/reinstalled it about a month ago...uggh (mind you, I have been spoiled with WOFF AI (brilliant!)) - I just can't stay with it. It always invariably ends up with low altitude tree top circle fests again and again...and again...😫

FC has been officially released for...a bit now.  For the most part it's just the same old faces flying it; and the occasional person popping in wondering why there is no campaign.  Gonna have to go with @J5_Klugermann on this one...

The RoF career missions are woefully underpopulated in aircraft and objects.  The AI just does a half roll and diving turn to the left every time as soon as you get near them.  The shine wears off very quickly.  I would recommend Flying Circus for having more planes in the air and much better variety in the current AI. 

6 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Why FC1 was not just simply upgraded from the RoF basis i wonder.

Well, its been discussed ad nauseum on other posts.  Feel free to look through the many other threads.  

If you want to fly with 50 other players at a time, you'll find that on FC. You will never see that again on RoF.  Ever.

If you want to fly essentially by yourself in pretty ok campaign and single player missions, RoF has that.   FC has some community developed campaigns. 

You've made the decision that you believe was best for you.  1C got some more money to throw at FC Vol 2.  Win-win-win.   

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, J5_Baeumer said:

If you want to fly with 50 other players at a time, you'll find that on FC.

During scheduled events you'll get to fly with the same 50 dudes that were flying events in RoF.  Basically ;)

There have been some new arrivals, but not nearly enough yet.

Just got off work and looking for some action...and things look considerably more bleak.

Presenting the game in a misleading manner doesn't help anybody.  While what you said is technically true;  to an outsider it gives the impression of a more robust multiplayer community than we actually have.

20200106_155131.jpg

I hope OP buys whatever brings him the most fun.  Meanwhile I'll be waiting here for some official word on what's being done about invisible fokkers.  

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

7 hours ago, jollyjack said:

After buying a few RoF add-ons and installing recommended mods mentioned above (thanks for the links), i actually wonder why FC1 at the price of 69.00 (paid last summer before it was launched) is really worth it as it is, even now after the first update. 

For the record, when ROF was originally released 10 years ago, it was $50   For that you got the basic map and 2, (later upgraded to 4), aircraft.  By the time I had as many aircraft as we now have in FC... I had spent well over $120

Just sayin....

• Upvote 1

ROF is for events like BA and FIF or other one day memorials . It means flying once a week. FC is Sunday event just took over Sunday vintage event from ROF. No week flying with numbers except Wednesday for US. Whole ww1 CFS is just that - one day per week , if we lucky two days ... Anyways I enjoy it , as one gets older this is enough time for games (pure unproductive fun) as I see it now :)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, J5_Baeumer said:

How much would you wager, Fly?

It's the old tortoise and the hare routine.

Euro afternoons / evenings there is usually 4-12 on a RoF server most of that time, compared with a steady 0 -1 whenever I check FC.

So while J5 Flug smashes the numbers a couple of times / week, RoF steadily adds to it's hours on a more constant basis.

Of course I don't know for sure, the devs will I presume. But there can't be much in it.

And I very much wish FC was far in front by now.

It seems the mission / stats, more serious if you like players have migrated.

The small dogfight mission junkies and noobs have not.

S!

Edited by Zooropa_Fly

Posted (edited)

If there's a decent quality WWI aviation simulation you're looking at, I'd recommend you just buy it and give it a try. I own Rise of Flight, Flying Circus, and Wings Over Flanders Fields PE. They're each different interpretations of the WW1 genre. I suggest getting each - WW1 isn't a big genre. If you hit a sale period, you can have them all for a couple hundred dollars.

You did the right thing getting Rise of Flight. It offers a nice variety of 1916-17 era aircraft not yet offered by FC. I fly RoF when I want to take up a Nieuport 11 or 17, or the lively Spad VII 180hp or the basic Fokker E.III. With the AI modded, the AI in Rise of Flight is not bad if you turn it up.  For multiplayer, both RoF and FC have people online playing, though you're not going to find the large 20+ person games every single night like you would find with WW2 IL2/BoX. FC is more of a "meet at an appointed time" sort of thing a couple times per week. RoF has smaller games, but some people are still going. If you want to take up a quirky D.H.2 pusher against a Halberstadt scout in multiplayer, RoF is still your answer.

WOFF-PE is an option if you're into a single player campaign element with a lot of air activity and WW1 environment. The main drawback is the simlulation engine is feeling dated now, even with the improvements made by the dev team.

Edited by Krispy_Duck
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

During scheduled events you'll get to fly with the same 50 dudes that were flying events in RoF.  Basically ;)

There have been some new arrivals, but not nearly enough yet.

Just got off work and looking for some action...and things look considerably more bleak.

Presenting the game in a misleading manner doesn't help anybody.  While what you said is technically true;  to an outsider it gives the impression of a more robust multiplayer community than we actually have.

I hope OP buys whatever brings him the most fun.  Meanwhile I'll be waiting here for some official word on what's being done about invisible fokkers.  

There are 50 people on Sunday evening. Including new faces with WW2 squadron tags and faces that were retired when I was starting with MP (S! Doc Zebra, watch the soft  ground - it's trickier than RoF train roof).. Meanwhile Rof scheaduled events got 30 if you were lucky, during last couple of years (not all of these present in FC).

What Baumer said was not "technically" true. If you want to meet 50 other pilots in WW1 enviroment, and see most intense WW1 since early 2017, FC deliverss that, and is the only game that does that. No, it does not happen every night. But yeah, it's still happening, and only on FC.

Like you said, presenting the game in misleading mannerdoes not help anybody.

Edited by J2_Trupobaw

Posted (edited)

Good morning fellas.  Gotta say, it was really unusual to see people on wargrounds this morning.  Usually the they're on the dogfight servers.

20200107_084458.jpg

RoFcurrent.png

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

Ummmm....that wasn't wargrpunds ....that's the FC Flugpark, and yes, this morning at 630am Pacific also there were some pilots already flying.

Screenshot_20200108-063746.thumb.png.15b9bd27db4a9fd68f3bde9ef9fbccff.png

On 1/7/2020 at 1:53 AM, Zooropa_Fly said:

And I very much wish FC was far in front by now.

Rise of Flight Wargrounds 41 flight hours in 7 days.

http://stats.newwingstraining.org/

Screenshot_20200108-081848.thumb.png.f86e300be70e7ee8fcf2da3630c94a3a.png

....Flying Circus 500 flight hours this month to date...

http://stats.jasta5.org:8000/en/?tour=8

Screenshot_20200108-080955.thumb.png.ff74749eaf504127b3a2355824a5bd46.png

Wargrounds doesn't really come into it.

The RoF numbers are on NFF and Arty's servers.

I know it's the bottom feeders, but it's people to fly with none the less.

If that's your biscuit, FC doesn't currently have a population for it.

Serious fliers are on FC, Fast-fooders are still on RoF.

S!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

.... Serious fliers are on FC, Fast-fooders are still on RoF. ..S!

Talking about food & ingredients ? Me thinks RoF has far more variety meal-wise.

Unless you cheat by using other planes in FC from BoX. Or trains LoL.

RoF certainly still has a larger menu to choose from.

But McDonalds and KFC are the only ones doing any MP business.

S!

4 hours ago, Zooropa_Fly said:

The RoF numbers are on NFF and Arty's servers.

I know it's the bottom feeders, but it's people to fly with none the less.

"Bottom feeders"?  

Posted (edited)

Hmmmm, Europeans too tired to fly this evening.

20200108_132713.jpg

But at least I have options>  XD

rofcurrent.png

Quit pretending.

The organized events are great; but the multiplayer community is small and rather stale.  FC is a sideshow to the WW2 stuff, and the way the game is (not) marketed and supported in comparison to other GB titles seems to reflect that.  I love playing this game, and I played with a tiny RoF community for the last two years too; but I'm not going to pretend this game is something it isn't.

But hey, congrats to the devs on finding plenty of people willing to fly rehashes of the same aircraft they got with Bodenplatte over Normandy instead.  😄

Edited by J28w-Broccoli

1 hour ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

"Bottom feeders"?  

That was tongue-in-cheek Todt.. counting myself amongst the rank of sucker fish :P

S!