Sign in to follow this  
Off

Helping Me Figure Out Whats Wrong With my VR setup?

So I just got a Rift S, and I love the hell out of it. Only issue is that I can manage more than 20 fps. System Specs as follows

CPU - Intel Core I7-6820HK
GPU - GTX 970
16GB - Ram

The game looks fine, doesnt look anything as good as my other games but thats fair its more intensive. I set all my ingame graphical settings to the the VR optimzation guide that was kindly pinned to this thread. And im still reading only 20 fps. And its certainly wearing on me lol.

Any other ideas would be great!

Edited by Off

Very good chance your laptop is using the CPU on board graphics and not the 970

Check nvidia settings

Cheers, Dakpilot 

7 hours ago, Dakpilot said:

Very good chance your laptop is using the CPU on board graphics and not the 970

Check nvidia settings

Cheers, Dakpilot 

image.thumb.png.348747f3782629765a9c640f53dbe767.png
I believe I've done so here, but was still chugging along 20 fps, and I was wrong I have a GTX 980

Sorry to say this but your system is marginal for running VR. You need to to run the game graphics at minimum levels and then your performance probably will not be adequate, but it's worth a try. To run VR with frame rates above 45 you need a 1080 and a better cpu would help.

Do you do CPU overclock? If not you could really try.

I would try first with very low SS (even below 100%) just to be at 40 fps and use ASW technique.

You can also run the benchmark in monitor 1080p, just to see that in monitor is running as expected:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56485-benchmark-for-cpuram-performance-remagen-40024003/

Once you optimize your PC/settings for monitor 1080p, you then can go to optimize VR settings. Normally VR halves the fps obtained in monitor 1080p.

So you can try to obtain 80-100 fps in monitor 1080p, then you would obtain 40-50 in VR. And with ASW you will get the 80fps.

There is also a good number of things to check (it is an old post but valid):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34107-items-to-review-if-you-have-low-performance-in-il-2-vr-test/

19 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Do you do CPU overclock? If not you could really try.

I would try first with very low SS (even below 100%) just to be at 40 fps and use ASW technique.

You can also run the benchmark in monitor 1080p, just to see that in monitor is running as expected:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/56485-benchmark-for-cpuram-performance-remagen-40024003/

Once you optimize your PC/settings for monitor 1080p, you then can go to optimize VR settings. Normally VR halves the fps obtained in monitor 1080p.

So you can try to obtain 80-100 fps in monitor 1080p, then you would obtain 40-50 in VR. And with ASW you will get the 80fps.

There is also a good number of things to check (it is an old post but valid):

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34107-items-to-review-if-you-have-low-performance-in-il-2-vr-test/

The CPU was overclocked 20% 

I can run the game max settings on my monitor no issue. There seems to be a decent disconnect between my normal game and the vr version lol

Doesn't it run under DirectX so the OpenGL setting is irrelevant? chances are the output to the rift is using onboard gfx, what do other vr games perform like?

Sad to say you are not going to get much better on that rig. I have a 9700k OC'd to 5ghz and a RTX 2080S and can hardly stay about 50fps with all of the "fixes" and low/med settings. Just trying to save you the pain of chasing that rabbit.

2 hours ago, Off said:

The CPU was overclocked 20% 

I can run the game max settings on my monitor no issue. There seems to be a decent disconnect between my normal game and the vr version lol

In VR the game runs twice. Not a fully precise statement but near enough to reality.

I am certain that your Computer is too old to run the game in VR. I hate to submit bad news, but appreciate honesty and "no BS" more, hope you do so too.

You want following characteristics:

CPU that can be overclocked to >4.6GHz with AVX offset = 0, properly cooled

RAM that can run at 3200MHz, >16GB

GPU equal or newer than GTX1080

Game and VR Software on SSD, Windows 10 latest built

No Laptops (Heat Dissipation with AVX offset 0)

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Not sure why everybody is saying your cpu is too old, I'm running VR on a i5-2500k which is far older than the I7-6820HK.

37 minutes ago, Dano said:

Not sure why everybody is saying your cpu is too old, I'm running VR on a i5-2500k which is far older than the I7-6820HK.

What are your specs, settings and FPS?

10 hours ago, Loki_1982b_rock1080 said:

What are your specs, settings and FPS?

i5-2500k @ 4.4Ghz, 16 GB DDR 3 1867Mhz, Nvidia 980Ti

I have ASW set to 45fps in Oculus tray tool as it smooths out any fluctuations when the frame rate goes higher which causes a judder effect that I find noticeable, fps is 45 whenever I check it. (VR is unticked as I turned it off to get a screenshot for this post)

settings.png

Edited by Dano

Notebook 970 is slow?

Turn shadows off, clouds low, HDR off, Antialiasing off, Landscape filter off, check FPS and start from there.

Edited by Gomoto