bzc3lk

Voldemort F-14 Free Trial

Just a heads up, for this weekend only, free trial of the Heatblur F-14. Can be downloaded via your D*S (the unspoken one)module manager . I've been debating buying this module while on sale,this may tip the scales if It is as good as the hype indicates.

Edited by bzc3lk
  • Upvote 2

I saw that on the Stormbirds site. I grabbed it and tried it out. It's snazzy but not my cup of tea. I'll play with it a bit more.

And another thread destined for the memory hole... :dry:

Thanks for pointing this out:salute:

I've been wondering whether to treat myself to the F14, the F16, the F/A18........or just stuffing the bloody money under the mattress for a rainy brexit.  

No doubt this will have some influence on my decision.

Oh dear.  I can feel the normally tight grip I keep around my cash weakening.  The F14 is a VR shiny thing indeed:o:

• Haha 1

The F14B is, imho, the best DCS module. Not an easy module, but to few DCS modules are as Comprehensive as il-2 sturmovik box. Graphically the DCS f14 is truly incredible in 4k! But beware.. It takes a lot of time to master.. . I am still struggling with it... All 🙂

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, simfan2015 said:

Not an easy module

You mean there are easy modules?:)

First attempt at landing and it seems to like me.

Free until Sunday?  Hmmmm.....

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

First attempt at landing and it seems to like me.

Free until Sunday?  Hmmmm.....

What no compliment from Jester? He will praise you for a greaser.

I love looking at the mechanical details in the undercarriage and wing slats working, truly a work of art. Even the F16 and F18 don't come up to this standard. I also love the flaps on an Axis control.

Edited by bzc3lk

1 hour ago, DD_Arthur said:

The F5E Tiger II. Just got it, good fun. It's like using a typewriter compared to the F14 module. The graphics aren't as good, but it's all kinds of simple.

The F-14 outside view is freaking delicious. That's some nutcase graphics. Get a nice F4 view and just follow it around, what a show!

Oh, I just noticed the news thread for Definitely Completed Someday has gone...  What's the story there? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Oh, I just noticed the news thread for Definitely Completed Someday has gone...  What's the story there? 

Keep asking and you‘ll go there too comrade.

• Haha 5

Hi Arthur, by easy modules I in fact meant FC3. I have never ever flown a real plane like some real life pilots here so yes, most of those DCS study sim modules seem like the general theory of relativity to me 🙂

Il-2 in comparison is True Joy to me. 

But still I love the challenge, the... Struggle to fly! 

The F14B module is such a marvellous achievement that it is worth the pain for admission though. 

Edited by simfan2015

Just tried the F-14, flying low and fast (the river run mission) and without touching any of the buttons and switches in the cockpit. Really put the smile on my face!

Haven't had so much fun since I put the motorcycle in winter storage a month ago...

For absolutely no good reason at all, I took the F-14 to about 55,000' at dusk over the Nevada map, cut the engines, and glided my way to Groom AFB and managed a rough but successful landing.

It was entertaining. :happy:

• Upvote 1

Gave the F-14 a whirl, its nice and shakes a lot.

It´ll be definately a purchase somewhere down the line, for this year I already got the Mig-21 tho.

F-14 is the best module for DCS hands down, unfortunately DCS runs so poorly on my pc that I haven't had much time/ability to fly it.

It is a work of art. Incomplete sure, still waiting for the Forestall carrier, "A"version, campaign, not sure if the A6 ai is still included "everything is subject to disappointment". The details, like the mirrors and jester make it by far the best experience that platform can provide and the only one I use. The extras, mentioned above, will definately raise the bar for the other 3rd parties and what they can get away with for the prices they charge. For that alone heatblur deserve a round of applause. 

The system complexity is past my snack bracket of interest, though I can certainly understand how some would find it compelling. But those graphics! :o: "Wow!"

Gotta love free trials.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dauntless said:

"past my snack bracket of interest"  :lol:

:joy:

I'm a bear of very little brain. :cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

The system complexity is past my snack bracket of interest, though I can certainly understand how some would find it compelling. But those graphics! :o: "Wow!"

Gotta love free trials.

Systems wise I never really thought of it as complex, the pilot seat is pretty simple. The RIO is another story and is where the F-14 gets complex.

F-14 is definitely easier to get the hang of systems wise compared to the A-10C at least, but piloting wise the F-14 can be a handful and I find it the most difficult aircraft to fly in DCS.

• Upvote 1

I bought into DCS for the WW2 content, stayed for the F-14 after it was released. Have not flown anything else. Best flight sim module (for any given flight sim) IMO available. 

I kinda went nuts during the sale. The Yak-52, F5E Tiger II, the Huey, and the Normandy Map and assets. Gotta keep the new video card busy.

Might get one more. Not sure. :biggrin:

Carrier landings, besides the simplicity and good reviews, are what sold me on the F5E. It has a tailhook meant for emergency airfield landings, but works on a carrier as well.

If only the carriers lit up at night. That would be excellent!

3 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Carrier landings, besides the simplicity and good reviews, are what sold me on the F5E. It has a tailhook meant for emergency airfield landings, but works on a carrier as well.

If only the carriers lit up at night. That would be excellent!

Carriers do light up, if you radio the tower and call inbound. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CastorTroy said:

Carriers do light up, if you radio the tower and call inbound. 

Really? I'll try.

Thank you. :drinks:

8 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Systems wise I never really thought of it as complex, the pilot seat is pretty simple. The RIO is another story and is where the F-14 gets complex.

F-14 is definitely easier to get the hang of systems wise compared to the A-10C at least, but piloting wise the F-14 can be a handful and I find it the most difficult aircraft to fly in DCS.

By fly, do you mean operating the systems? Despite not being fly by wire, actually flying it I love. The sabre is much more demanding to fly well to keep you're energy imo, and all props are more difficult than all jets to fly I think. 

Now,  operating systems,  jets are way way more work load and harder!

Can you fly/fight without messing at all with the RIO stuff?

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Can you fly/fight without messing at all with the RIO stuff?

Yes. your AI RIO, callsign Jester, you command thru a very easy to use radial dial. Jester AI has not been given the ability to control the LANTIRN Pod (to drop GBU's) as of yet, but should be online soon. You can also  have a human RIO if your playing online.  Also know, the module purchase will include the A variant, an A-6 (ai only) , two campaigns, and the USS Forrestal with working deck crew and equipment. To be released soon. 

BTW, I am really looking forward to your P-47 campaign! First day purchase for me!

7 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

I kinda went nuts during the sale. The Yak-52, F5E Tiger II, the Huey, and the Normandy Map and assets. Gotta keep the new video card busy.

Might get one more. Not sure. :biggrin:

The Normandy map, now with the free upgrade released a few weeks back, is gorgeous. There are some really good pay missions as well. 

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, DD_fruitbat said:

By fly, do you mean operating the systems? Despite not being fly by wire, actually flying it I love. The sabre is much more demanding to fly well to keep you're energy imo, and all props are more difficult than all jets to fly I think. 

Now,  operating systems,  jets are way way more work load and harder!

I mean just simple piloting, not the systems. The systems are the easy part (except for the RIO) but I find the feel of the aircraft and the actual flying hard to get used to, imo it's the most challenging aircraft to fly.

6 hours ago, CastorTroy said:

To be released soon.

🤣 😄 🙄

12 hours ago, CastorTroy said:

The Normandy map, now with the free upgrade released a few weeks back, is gorgeous. There are some really good pay missions as well. 

Yeah, it's much better. I returned it when I bought it a ways back. Keeping it this time.

I don't fly any "formal" missions, I'm purely a sandbox flyer. I really like the __________ ___________ because I can set something up in seconds, in game, then try it out with different aircraft. Half the time I'm just flying around for the fun of it, not even blowing stuff up.

I got the Combined Arms module too. There is a perverse pleasure in setting up a massive artillery barrage and then watching the show. The module gets a lot of negative reviews, but there is some good fun to be had with it. And you get to man a ZSU-23. That's a riot!

7 hours ago, theOden said:

🤣 😄 🙄

Heatblur is doing a phenomenal job on this module and the dev team is very dedicated, and is very much involved with the community, via forums, twitter, youtube and facebook.  They are different devs than ED, who has unfinished modules laying everywhere....This module is/was the most complete EA module available at the time of release, and the aircraft has received many updates the last nine months or so it's been out.

The USS Forrestal is really close, HB wanted to release it before January, and the F-14a is getting the engines correct before release. Also very close. I think work has been slowed a bit due to the Viggen getting it's much deserved, and massive update in late December. 

Edited by CastorTroy
  • Upvote 1

So messing around today, I'd already landed, so I jumped in the back seat of DD_Fenrir's Cat, bit less pressure and more ability to mess around in externals😂😂😂

Edited by DD_fruitbat
  • Upvote 1

Your pilot didn't look like he had his DLC (direct lift control) engaged. Makes landings a bit easier....

Yeah - it's something I'd like to use but ran outta buttons! By the time I'd got all the combat critical items assigned to my HOTAS, I'd run out of anything to assign the DLC to. Not that it concerns me much - it's nice to get a three-wire and all but as long as I get back on the boat in one piece, a FAIR or even a NO GRADE pass is fine by me!

Totally understand about the buttons. LoL. Took me a few months to get my current layout, but I think I am going to retool the layout very soon. Try the DLC soon if you haven't already, it makes very small and precise pitch movements when your AoA is on speed for a carrier trap....