Tank Crew & Normandy

This is a rather obvious topic of conversation so it may have been asked & answered,BUT with the new Normandy maps being introduced is there any planning to modify the later one ( or part of it,) for use in Tank Crew? We have several of the American vehicles already & nearly all the German ones that could be used , but it would mean the development of several British ones as well...I realize that this wouldn’t be an easy task & may be dependent on the success of TC, but it does seem to be a natural next step...

• Upvote 1

With modify you mean make it more detailed, like the Prokhorovka map? I don't think our PCs would be able to run a game on such a big map with a more detailed, Prokhorovka style part in it. But taking a part of it as an own map, with more details, would surely be interesting. But as Steini mentioned, so far no word about further TC plans.

Nothing would thrill me more than to have a TC campaign on detailed terrain (landing beaches to at least as far back as the Avranches-Argentan line) that starts with you looking through the visor of a Sherman as the front of your LST opens on the beach’s of Normandy and you have to play through the first 8-10 weeks (landings, bocage, St Lo, breakout, Falaise Pocket, etc) arriving at the western approaches and bridgehead in the Seine River....... but we need A LOT of USA/British/Canadian vehicles/objects of all types to see that happen....a single Sherman model just won’t be enough.  We’d also need a ton of Atlantic Wall objects.  Since we got NO USA object content with BOBP, I’d like to hope that’s a situation that will be resolved with BoN.  Likewise, i’d like to see an updated BoBP map with at least the Ardennes triangle (Monschau-Dinant-Wiltz) being detailed.  Do I think ANY of that will happen?  I’m hoping.......

Edited by 352ndOscar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2
18 hours ago, 352ndOscar said:

Nothing would thrill me more than to have a TC campaign on detailed terrain (landing beaches to at least as far back as the Avranches-Argentan line) that starts with you looking through the visor of a Sherman as the front of your LST opens on the beach’s of Normandy and you have to play through the first 8-10 weeks (landings, bocage, St Lo, breakout, Falaise Pocket, etc) arriving at the western approaches and bridgehead in the Seine River....... but we need A LOT of USA/British/Canadian vehicles/objects of all types to see that happen....a single Sherman model just won’t be enough.  We’d also need a ton of Atlantic Wall objects.  Since we got NO USA object content with BOBP, I’d like to hope that’s a situation that will be resolved with BoN.  Likewise, i’d like to see an updated BoBP map with at least the Ardennes triangle (Monschau-Dinant-Wiltz) being detailed.  Do I think ANY of that will happen?  I’m hoping.......

I like it...must include Caen & surrounds...

I'm not sure the game can handle that kind of condensed machinery/combat such as an authentic beach invasion, but inland combat after the initial landings should be easy to do.  I can make do with no infantry throughout most of the game, but for me personally, I'd never be able to immerse myself in a beach landing, with no infantry.

"Tank Crew" is very playable for our unit with an objective based mission and tons of AI, tanks, rockets, and AT/artillery trying to stop an offensive assault.  Put some player planes up in the air and it makes for a very enjoyable 2 to 3 hour evening.  But I do agree, you've got to put some work into it to setup the right environment and I'm hoping that works itself out as the game evolves.

The test for me is how many tank squads have formed, in comparison to air combat units?  When you start seeing more tank units forming the game will have achieved its own niche, right now, you've got to work to make it happen.  

20 minutes ago, SCG_Neun said:

I'm not sure the game can handle that kind of condensed machinery/combat such as an authentic beach invasion

Not to forget, that there were no german tanks, so it would just be allied tanks versus german AT guns and artillery.

/artillery trying to stop an offensive assault.

Not to forget artillery and aircrafts preparing and supporting an attack, which was quite common.

But I do agree, you've got to put some work into it to setup the right environment and I'm hoping that works itself out as the game evolves.

Absolutely. Even with air war, frontlines are absolutely missing. But with tanks, they are an absolute must have. You don't have battles in an empty room for nothing. One side tries to attack the enemy lines, and therefore there have to be enemy lines with trenches and /or foxholes with some infantry groups. There were already threads about how this could be handled without modelling single soldiers, by modelling just groups of soldiers, like we already have them at AT/artillery/ AA guns.

Edited by Yogiflight

Yeah, I guess some allied tanks chugging onto the beaches would be cool, but that is not what I envision when I think about an allied landing on D-Day.  My point, at least for me is that without the other things....men, landing craft, destroyers, battleships....it's hard to envision a D-Day landing and it would be better to focus inland, and forget about the beaches...

From a German perspective, with just Artillery and machine guns..what is the ability to even play as a player on the beaches?

As far as the modelling groups of soldiers, I also made that suggestion way back when, but again, I'd focus inland.  I'm not saying that beaches wouldn't be cool, just that it would take something the game just doesn't have, to create.  But again, that's just my take.  

Come join us Yogiflight one of these Sundays for one of our missions.  We play 3PM so our EU guys can join in as well. Just PM me sometime.  Sounds like you really enjoy the game, as do we.

Edited by SCG_Neun
On 12/27/2019 at 7:03 AM, SCG_Neun said:

From a German perspective, with just Artillery and machine guns..what is the ability to even play as a player on the beaches?

No.

The engine simply cannot handle the unit density to even think about the beach (or any front line) from the perspective of either side...the end.

In normal circumstances we can simulate a sort of an impression of a front line with effects, smoke, shelling generators etc, and a modest number of AI units, guns, tanks etc. 

On the beach there's no faking it, too much water, too much beach, it just doesn't work from the ground or the air...forget it.

• Upvote 1
On 12/27/2019 at 4:03 PM, SCG_Neun said:

Come join us Yogiflight one of these Sundays for one of our missions.  We play 3PM so our EU guys can join in as well. Just PM me sometime.  Sounds like you really enjoy the game, as do we.

I, as former commander of a German IFV, are, of course very much interested in this game. But I stopped playing it some time ago, because without binoculars for the commander I can't feel any kind of immersion in it. As soon as binoculars are implemented I will start playing again, get used to the commanding menu and play the two scripted campaigns of TC. And I want to go online, then. So I will kindly PM you, once we get the much needed feature. 

CU

Yogi:salute:

as such a D day scenario is not really  much to do with Tanks on the German side until d day +++  , also the luffty boys hardly went near the beach head , however as an extension to the maps and inland scenario's it is very exciting what could be done , from a tank crew perspective it is awesome , from a flying for both allies or axis an exciting prospect … however I would think this is also a prelude to a Battle of Britain map to come  (yes please :)  )     great times ahead , just keep buying and supporting I guess ?  .... also having now tried tank crew in VR .I am totally sold :)   amazing !  … flying too  , as bigger quantum leap as track ir was all those years ago 

atb and of course happy new year .. oxo

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Yogiflight said:

I, as former commander of a German IFV, are, of course very much interested in this game. But I stopped playing it some time ago, because without binoculars for the commander I can't feel any kind of immersion in it. As soon as binoculars are implemented I will start playing again...

Binoculars, and a vegetation/camouflaged tank position object - maybe a few.

Then snow, a low overcast deck so that we have a bit of fog - then Shermans, Tigers and PZIV’s...now I’m onboard.

I have a few spots on the Rhineland map picked out.

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

Binoculars, and a vegetation/camouflaged tank position object - maybe a few.

Then snow, a low overcast deck so that we have a bit of fog - then Shermans, Tigers and PZIV’s...now I’m onboard.

I have a few spots on the Rhineland map picked out.

Some refinements on the AI would be needed, too, so they don't always play suicidal squad, running forward, without caring, what might be behind the next hill.

I am looking very much forward to some missions done by you, but you might have three or four more days time. I am currently flying with a Havoc through the Kuban mountains. Remebers you on something? Lot of fun, especially as I just made one QMB mission with the Havoc before starting the campaign.:biggrin:

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Yogiflight said:

Some refinements on the AI would be needed, too, so they don't always play suicidal squad, running forward, without caring, what might be behind the next hill.

That comes down to mission design/scripting/use of triggers/check zones etc...I think. I have some ideas but won’t be able to test them until my job cue is clear. :)

I might take a few minutes here and there to start playing, but have another A-20 directly after the Jug campaign. Won’t take as long though.

7 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

The ability of the AI to see and shoot you through the landscape would need to be changed I imagine.  Particularly for the Bocage area.

For that landscape without a doubt - editor trickery would be much more difficult there.

Just ruminating......  code object visibility as requiring a friendly spotter (in addition to other AI coding), I.e., friendly tank can fire if friendly spotter can see (los) the enemy tank....spotter identifies location, tank fires....whether it can see or not.  No spotter, no fire.  A platoon of tanks in a tree line can’t see a tank in a field until one of them comes outta the trees and spots the tank, or, another friendly spots for the tank platoon.....  just thinking out loud.

• 4 months later...

So If we move to Normandy at some point (I really hope!) what tanks would you like to see?

I would go for  Panther A

Tiger II

Late Tiger I

Panzer IVH

Stug III/IV

(Wespe/hummel)

Churchill

Firefly

Cromwell

M10 Achilles

Sherman 76

M10 TD

M18 Hellcat

(Priest)

• Like 1

Dont see why it wouldnt be able to do, most gaming pc´s of today can run il-2 with ease, tank crew and bodenplatte etc I can fly and play on maximum settings and fps up to 200 without any issues and the graphic card barely notices. Hell post scriptum takes way more graphic power than IL-2 games do. Only limit would be the graphic engine but that can be fixed too if the developers decide to either work on the graphics or get one of the most recent graphic engines and it wouldnt be a problem really.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2019 at 9:22 AM, 352ndOscar said:

Nothing would thrill me more than to have a TC campaign on detailed terrain (landing beaches to at least as far back as the Avranches-Argentan line) that starts with you looking through the visor of a Sherman as the front of your LST opens on the beach’s of Normandy and you have to play through the first 8-10 weeks (landings, bocage, St Lo, breakout, Falaise Pocket, etc) arriving at the western approaches and bridgehead in the Seine River....... but we need A LOT of USA/British/Canadian vehicles/objects of all types to see that happen....a single Sherman model just won’t be enough.  We’d also need a ton of Atlantic Wall objects.  Since we got NO USA object content with BOBP, I’d like to hope that’s a situation that will be resolved with BoN. 

Totally agree.

I was hoping to do a series of historically based tank missions around Patton and the Battle Of The Bulge. I have purchased two books for reference material. But it simply won't happen if we don't get more allied armored assets. 😕

• Upvote 1

I’ve been looking at a 3rdAD mission set/campaign for the Battle of Aachen (both north and south fronts), but, as you said, it won’t happen without a bunch of US assets that we don’t have today.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Goosevich said:

How about letting them finish what they started already, huh? :P

We have no real choice in that matter but from latest DD. 

'Second, this is the completion and release of the German tank destroyer Sd.Kfz.184 "Ferdinand", which will mark the completion of all the planned tanks in Tank Crew. Although, this does not mean we will stop working on it, more improvements will be made in the coming months, several are being designed and prepared now. '

That remark, in bold, is concerning. Hopefully, it refers to TC development to date. :coffee:

Edited by Thad
  • Upvote 1
On 6/12/2020 at 1:03 PM, Thad said:

We have no real choice in that matter but from latest DD. 

'Second, this is the completion and release of the German tank destroyer Sd.Kfz.184 "Ferdinand", which will mark the completion of all the planned tanks in Tank Crew. Although, this does not mean we will stop working on it, more improvements will be made in the coming months, several are being designed and prepared now. '

That remark, in bold, is concerning. Hopefully, it refers to TC development to date. :coffee:

i see that statement meaning that its all the tanks for this version of tank crew , probably easier to say tank crew than the full name

Just a thought.It WILL be interesting to get the Porsche Elephant...but who will really want to use it? It was I think we can agree a failure as weapons system & used ( so far as I know ) in penny packets on the Eastern Front and also seen during the Italian campaign here & there. I'm not sure it was ever used in France or on the Western Front. Even with its flaws  the Tiger1 was/is a much better choice. On the other hand the King Tiger was used in Normandy and all the way until the war ended ( or production did...) and the rest of the Western Front. I don't know how campaigns will be designed in TC for Normandy, but  in reality most were in and around Caen on the northeast British sector, exactly where the Tiger1's and King Tigers were most deployed....So somewhere down the road ( so to speak) The "King" would be the logical choice,don'cha think?

unnamed (1).jpg

22 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Just a thought.It WILL be interesting to get the Porsche Elephant...but who will really want to use it?

Me. Yes, it sets itself on fire by climbing hills, but it looks cool and can go in reverse really fast, which is important for late-war Germany 😄