Count_de_Money

Mig 3 Flaps after 4.x patch

hello,

I can't seem to figure out the flap limiter/release of Mig3 after the 4.x patch update.

1) How it worked before the update:

- Flaps retracted. 

- I long-press "Flaps UP" to set the flaps limiter to a certain percentage. It set the flap limiter.

- I press "Flaps Down" and the flaps are extended to the pre-set percentage limiter from previous step

- I press "Flaps UP" to retract the flap

2) How it works now:

- Flaps retracted

- I long-press "Flaps UP" to set the flaps limiter and nothing happens/changes

- I long-press "Flaps Down" and the flaps start extending to whatever percentage you want/need them to extend. They extend to that percentage and stay extended.

- I shot-press "Flaps UP" to retract the flaps. Nothing happens.

- I long-press "Flaps UP" and they slowly start retracting.

- Am I missing a binding somewhere? In the key assignments there's only Flaps Up and Flaps Down...

- Or there's no more "flaps limiter" operation in Mig 3, i.e. it was never available and the old system of operation was wrong/incorrect?

Edited by Count_de_Money

I've encountered similar problems. When I tested the flaps on the ground in third person, something I noticed is that the flaps would do the following behavior:

1. On "EXTEND FLAPS," flaps would extend to the set flap limiter percentage (at 0% iirc they don't extend at all, and generally the MiG-3 starts with the flap limiter at 0%)

2. Holding the button to extend flaps, the flap limiter percentage will climb towards 100%. From the exterior of the plane, the flaps raise until the button is released, and then the flaps lower back to that percentage

3. The same behavior (iirc) is observed in reverse.

It's very odd. I wish that the flap limiter was an axis separate to the flaps themselves, at least for planes that have them. 

On 1/2/2020 at 12:18 AM, 666GIAP_Necathor said:

Hey Count, flaps on Mig don´t work properly. Same happens to me.  

thank you for confirming it..

not sure why the devs would break it... They were fine until the patch to 'fix' the flaps, when in reality it actually broke it by making them work exactly the same as on other planes bypassing the concept of "flap limiter".

I've noticed the same thing.  

Am I correct in saying that the after setting the limiter, you're supposed to be able to fully retract the flaps without setting the limiter back to zero?  Or, is it meant to operate that high speeds keep the flaps 'compressed' shut and the limiter works as intended?

19 hours ago, FarflungWanderer said:

It's very odd. I wish that the flap limiter was an axis separate to the flaps themselves, at least for planes that have them. 

This.

• Upvote 1

Is this now fixed in 4.005? I did not notice it, but it seems the Mig3 'flies' much nicer now. Killed 6 109 Fs in a row in a dogfight ...

4 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Is this now fixed in 4.005? I did not notice it, but it seems the Mig3 'flies' much nicer now. Killed 6 109 Fs in a row in a dogfight ...

No, nothing has been "fixed", because there was nothing to fix:

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Ok, that explains the long press behavior.

I think the short press (where the flaps are supposed to open/close up to the limiter) is still bugged because it doesn't do anything in any flap/limiter setting.

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2020 at 4:46 AM, LukeFF said:

No, nothing has been "fixed", because there was nothing to fix:

There is still a problem with the flaps control scheme, if you have your flaps set at 50% for example, and you want to quickly retract them (without changing the limiter) the pilot only needs to push the lever up so the flaps are fully retracted, then return to neutral. But in game this is currently not possible to do. If you press the flaps up key the pilot will start adjusting the limiter, and only once it reaches limiter 0% the flaps will remain retracted. If you aren't at 0% limiter and just quickly tap the flaps up key nothing happens.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard

Posted (edited)

Bump - I cannot get this to work either. You can only retract the flaps by winding the limiter to 0%. A short tap on "retract flaps" just makes them go up then down again. The problem is that the game is trying to combine the effect of two separate controls in the cockpit (the "flaps up/down" handle and the "set flap limiter" wheel) into a single key action.

I am sure it used to work as designed in earlier versions of the game, but it's definitely broken now.

Edited by NickM

I have seen what Han says about it working as it should but his explanation does not match what happens in game.

1) It makes no difference whether you hold the 'Retract' key or not.

2)The way it now works makes no sense and is actually very dangerous so I find it hard to believe the Mig-3 designers made a special effort to build such a system.   If your research shows they really did then I apologise and will accept it was just one of those crazy wartime mistakes but can you please first watch the following 40 second video to see if there is a bug or if I am misunderstanding how to use it.

https://youtu.be/1CXzORxii2E

If that is the intended operation then it means that a person on Finals with half flap who realises he needs full flaps quickly will see the flaps fully retract to 0% just when he needs *more* flaps then suddenly drop to 100% probably causing a stall.   Similarly in a fight you are riding the edge of a stall in a turn and decide that adding 20% flaps will help you turn tight but instead  you get you get the flaps retracting fully then suddenly get all 20% in one go and likely stall.

Posted (edited)

The bug that I see now is that the flaps do not retract when you press "retract".

Other than that what Han describes coincides with what I was expecting (to set the limiter the flaps first retract, limiter is set, flaps release); that makes sense from a mechanical point of view as well considering the actuators used back then (if it's under tension with deployed flaps then setting the limiter would need to fight against said tension, so instead you retract which stops the pressure on the flaps, set the limiter and redeploy).

What does not make sense is that the flaps do not retract at all when you press retract but you need to keep it pressed until the limiter is set to zero. You can see them quickly going up just fine while you keep the retract flaps button pressed, as soon as you release it they deploy again.

Edited by Firdimigdi

My speculation is that the pneumatic system which drives the flaps loses pressure and can't hold them up on its own for long periods. Flying around with the limiter extended and the flap control in the up position would eventually result in the flaps spontaneously deploying.  If that's the case, the only safe way to fly it would be as modeled in the sim: the pilot first puts the handle in the up position to raise them, then sets the limiter to 0, then resets the handle to neutral.