SNAPKronovanX

How Much HDisk Space does BoS Really Require?

The requirements state 23 GB+, but I only own the Battle of Stalingrad and the install has consumed almost 50 GB of HD space! There's no way I can afford to give that much of my SSD to this game. Despite my only owning BoS, I  noticed in my install folders that i have an "...updates\19-12-18\copies" subfolder that contains almost 18 GB of files. Many of of which are for addons I don't own like Moscow, Kuban, Rheinland and Spitfire. Is it possible to delete any of those files without impacting my BoS installation?

I wish I have such a "huge" problem with this game. Seriously, SSDs are cheaper than ever. Buy bigger disk.

Edited by =VARP=Tvrdi

^ Have you ever thought about reading the question and actually answering it in instead of being an offtopic smart@ss?

To OP - the way this game works is - it downloads and installs all published DLC on your PC (whether you want them or not) and then, upon each login, activates the content you purchased, leaving all the rest blocked. So the folder size is more or less constant for all customers (unless mods and 3rd party content are added). No way to avoid it. 

That being said, the size should be about 33 gigs. Subfolders you mentioned are most likely some trash leftovers from incomplete update installations. You can safely delete them.

Edited by Art-J
typos

49 minutes ago, SNAPKronovanX said:

The requirements state 23 GB+, but I only own the Battle of Stalingrad and the install has consumed almost 50 GB of HD space! There's no way I can afford to give that much of my SSD to this game. Despite my only owning BoS, I  noticed in my install folders that i have an "...updates\19-12-18\copies" subfolder that contains almost 18 GB of files. Many of of which are for addons I don't own like Moscow, Kuban, Rheinland and Spitfire. Is it possible to delete any of those files without impacting my BoS installation?

Indeed, even if you only own BOS, you finally have a full install of the released modules (BOM, BOK etc.) - so in future your installation will certainly grow. The access of

your purchased modules or planes are controlled via your account.

I wouldn't delete anything at all, because there may be some dependencies f.ex. if you want to fly online. The only content you may delete without any risk are the files

in the update directory - anything else please don't touch!

54 minutes ago, SNAPKronovanX said:

I think you can delete the update folders. Also the download contains everything, by buying other titles the content will just get unlocked.

...dont forget the skins, 100 skin (4K)= 2,2Gb.:).

Edited by szelljr

My updates folder is just over 300MB in size so I'd suspect something is amiss there, also worth noting that track files take up a fair amount of space too, over 6GB for me currently.

@SNAPKronovanX

~33 GB might be correct for the base game without custom skins, mods, 3rd party campaigns, screenshots and recorded tracks. My current install takes ~45 GB on an SSD without custom skins (which are on a different drive and take another 45+ GB).

If you want to free some SSD space, move your screenshots elsewhere and regularly delete obsolate track files in your data\tracks folder.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

32.4 GB currently being used by IL-2 here.

Yep, exactly the same as mine. No texture-related mods installed, just the base game and few cloud/HUD mods.

Many thanks to all those that confirmed  I can delete the updates files and everyone else for your suggestions. I've deleted my updates folders and my install is now just shy of a much more reasonable 32 GB. I'm new to this game and so far have flown quick missions, but after a few harrowing moments caused by my HOTAS axis being assigned reverse mappings by default, all is flying smoothly now. About the only thing I need to do now is google up a better TrackIR profile, because the default is definitely lacking.

26 minutes ago, SNAPKronovanX said:

Many thanks to all those that confirmed  I can delete the updates files and everyone else for your suggestions. I've deleted my updates folders and my install is now just shy of a much more reasonable 32 GB. I'm new to this game and so far have flown quick missions, but after a few harrowing moments caused by my HOTAS axis being assigned reverse mappings by default, all is flying smoothly now. About the only thing I need to do now is google up a better TrackIR profile, because the default is definitely lacking.

Try Requiem's TrackIR profile, which did publish somewhere here on the Forum.

Edited by -=-THERION

I have every game of the series installed and a lot of skins for the planes and I am at 65 GB in total on my hard drive that is an SSD. Fast and solide. *All have an Nice Christmas. :salute:🎅

IL2 Great Battles:  BoS, BoM, BoK, BoBp, TC and FC ..............  I have two installs of IL2GB on here the second is not as big

• Size on disc:  49.5 GB (53,184,413,696 bytes)
  • Contains:  26,633 Files, 1,154 Folders

Mine is on a Samsung 970 Pro M.2 2280 1Tb NVMe SSD  Used just for games only

Along with DCS, that I rarely play anymore

• Which takes up size on disc: 120 GB (129,156,169,728 bytes)
  • And Contains: 44,647 Files, 4,926 Folders

I have used 212Gb and have 741Gb of space left.  Like I've said in other posts, the amount of money I've spent keeping up with these games is something the wife will never know about, and if she finds out you'll know why I no longer post in here. 

Merry Christmas and a Great New Year

Cheers

Hoss