ATAG_Pattle

TFS 5.0 New Special Effects Update

The current effects have been overhauled, with a large emphasis on efficiency and performance, as well as increased visual quality and realism.

Particle numbers have been reduced across the board, in some cases using less than 20% the number used previously.

This means the likelihood of a scene hitting the particle limit is greatly reduced, and scenes with a high amount of action (bombing runs, lots of environmental smoke, etc) should see improved performance.

For instance the London raid images featured 10 large environmental smokes types, 50+ AA guns, and 4 bomber waves dropping 90 bombs into that area.

FPS remained a constant 50-60 throughout!

All particles respond to wind speed and direction, which allows for a really dynamic, visually immersive environment.

Although these videos show no desert effects, the desert effects are coming along very nicely and will be shown off soon.

Let us know what you think :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iFCNBGrHQE

Cheers,

Pattle

Edited by ATAG_Pattle
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Upvote 5

Looks awesome! And less cartoonish compared to... umm.. other games;)

I'm really looking forward to see 5.0 release. It'll be an instant buy from me.

• Like 1

Very impressive, smoke always seems to be a hard thing to reproduce in any simulation and never quite looks right, the various types in your film look superb, all bodes well for the release of 5.0.:cool:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Edited by Missionbug
  • Like 1

I see that TFS.5 has potential to capture real immersive war environment, I hope to see sim world where after crash or bombardment the scene do not look the same after few seconds, or  burning vehicles have exacly the same copy of smokes which do never merge and look so artiffical. Where there is ammo dump explosion and gasoline barrels to sky fly after big detonation. This thigs are very important to enjoy the rolle of attack/bomber plane pilot or witness as fighter pilot. Where one can be sure all can see lasting effects that they make and it make the diffrence. No hollywood, just as real war cam footage. Kudos for developers that they pay attention to this things

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice!

Can you give us a night raid with city lights  and searchlights on?

:salute:

skud

Edited by ATAG_SKUD
  • Like 1

Waaaw, wonderfull!!! 

Merry Chritmas team and good New year!  It seems to be 😁

• Like 2

That looks great! Can't wait for the 5.0 release and announcement of the 6.0 phase. 

• Like 2

Will these new smoke effects be seen at longer distances? Some of these have the same size as small mountains and therefor they should be rendered at same distance as terrain, otherwise ,as it is now, is very anoying and worst than not be there at all. Having huge visual elements poping up at close distance is ruining the imersion. On this video I've not seen a single shot from far distance.

Whats the point of having these amazing effects if they disapear at short distances as few miles as we have now? I've been in some missions where the environment looks completly blank just because my plane was a couple of miles way from where the smoke columns were..

Really hope that you guys when creating these new great effects have in consideration better Lods and optimizations to allow much much greater visual distances than we have now otherwise is just good for youtubers.

In IL2 Gb these was accomplished and environment feels rich in acion.

Edited by AlexandreB
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AlexandreB said:

Will these new smoke effects be seen at longer distances? Some of these have the same size as small mountains and therefor they should be rendered at same distance as terrain, otherwise ,as it is now, is very anoying and worst than not be there at all. Having huge visual elements poping up at close distance is ruining the imersion. On this video I've not seen a single shot from far distance.

Whats the point of having these amazing effects if they disapear at short distances as few miles as we have now? I've been in some missions where the environment looks completly blank just because my plane was a couple of miles way from where the smoke columns were..

Really hope that you guys when creating these new great effects have in consideration better Lods and optimizations to allow much much greater visual distances than we have now otherwise is just good for youtubers.

In IL2 Gb these was accomplished and environment feels rich in acion.

I asked a related question here, maybe it was missed? 

https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32101&p=345443&viewfull=1#post345443

Regarding the effects and cloud height,  if the cloud heigh was set to 200 metres could the smoke rise to 500 metres and if it could, seeing smoke appear through the clouds would be pretty cool? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 69thSpiritus_Mortem said:

We are looking at the visual bubble. 

Spiritus, thanks for the reply. I linked to it above but is there anyway of using the code that fades the clouds into view (extended clouds option) to fade the landscape objects into view? 

That visible draw bubble when you look in the distance and see buildings and trees popping into view line by line, chunk by chunk is a real immersion killer in a visually beautiful sim :(

Cheers Mysticpuma 

Edited by Mysticpuma

4 hours ago, Mysticpuma said:

Spiritus, thanks for the reply. I linked to it above but is there anyway of using the code that fades the clouds into view (extended clouds option) to fade the landscape objects into view? 

That visible draw bubble when you look in the distance and see buildings and trees popping into view line by line, chunk by chunk is a real immersion killer in a visually beautiful sim :(

Cheers Mysticpuma 

We have already mentioned in previous updates the viewing distance on the Tobruk map will be roughly 3 times what it is currently on the Channel Map.

We are also looking at extending the viewing distance on the Channel map, but because that map was created by the original developers and is heavily bugged, this is a bigger challenge and I doubt the distance increase will be as much.

We are also looking at ways we can improve the transitions at distance.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Buzzsaw said:

We are also looking at ways we can improve the transitions at distance.

That's the man immersion killer so hopefully your team can work some magic. Thanks for the reply :)