caricolaaaa

What should be the number one priority for the developers?

What should be the number one priority for the developers?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What should be the number one priority for the developers?

• Fix contact visibility
    • Make new planes
    • Make new maps
    • Improve IA
    • Reduce load times in career mode
    • Improve viewer mode

The planes still become invisible. I really do not understand. IL2 Great Battles came out in 2014.

I would like to know your opinion.

Thank you. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

You clearly have a very simplistic view of how development works. There are multiple people on the team, each with their own skills, and it would make no sense at all to put them all to work on the same 'priority'. The developers have already made it clear that they will be looking into dealing with the visibility issues, and polls aren't going to change that.

And what does 'improve viewer mode' mean?

• Upvote 2

Have a bloody good Christmas break would be my suggestion!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 16

Just now, Haza said:

Have a bloody good Christmas break would be my suggestion!

Yup. 👍

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Improve viewer mode: for example in a cooperative only when you die or land you can, as a spectator, see the flight of your allies and learn from their maneuvers. I should use spectator.

Thank you for your opinions.

Greetings.

• Confused 1

It would be nice if people would at least design their polls correctly. Asking these types of questions without options such as "other" or "none of the above" makes the results even more meaningless than they would normally be.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo

Some things I’d add are (not an order of priority, just a list):

Improved DM for P-47

Droppable Fuel tanks

Radio Commands like in IL-2 1946

Pilots not dying when parachuting into the water

Pilot Career improvements (more types of missions)

Pilots being able to exit the plane or not die after landing in the water and on the ground while on fire.

Gunner problem with Pe-2 and possibly bottom turret of B-25

AI improvements.

With adding more planes and maps, I have to agree with AndyJWest here as making planes and maps take an enormous amount of time to make/test these days. BON will be a huge task for the devs as they have to make a huge map, 10 flyable planes, 1 AI transport and another AI bomber, V-1s and a whole lot of ground objects, etc. The only planes and maps that I’m aware of that are being made other than in BON are a Gulf of Finland map made by a 3rd party team, and the Yak-9s and Hurricane.

Everything planned in BON is the biggest priority here.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, caricolaaaa said:

The planes still become invisible. I really do not understand. IL2 Great Battles came out in 2014.

I would like to know your opinion.

Thank you. 

All of those features have elements that I'd like to see improve. Running a poll on it doesn't really work.

Software development happens in parallel and in series with dependencies and time allocated to develop or solve specific issues, test, check, retest, etc. Perhaps a different approach would be better.

Where's the "none of the above" option?

Edited by pfrances
  • Upvote 1

Suggested priority list to the devs:

1. Have a nice holidays break full of joy!

2. Bringing back old visibility system where planes don't become invisible on short distances

3. Make b25 flyable

4. Rheinland map performance improvements (stutters)

5. Start working on Channel map and ju188 E2 or Ju88A17

6.Keep working on AI

Have a nice holidays!

S!

Spotting. It’s created a lot of strong emotions and Affects both multiplayer competition  and single player immersion.

Beyond that, realistic convergence/ harmonization. It’s very odd to have our current dumbed-down version in a game that prides itself on extreme realism.

Edited by von_Michelstamm

Shouldn’t this be in the Polls section? Yeah - I know it’s impolite to answer a question with a question but what the hell. Ya only live once.

Edited by BornToBattle

8 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

All of those features have elements that I'd like to see improve. Running a poll on it doesn't really work.

Software development happens in parallel and in series with dependencies and time allocated to develop or solve specific issues, test, check, retest, etc. Perhaps a different approach would be better.

Sham, about stutters, we created a thread, we quote Jason lot of times but we still have no answers.

How should be a different approach?

Thank you in advance!

BTW, thank you for your time and amount of work on your blog.

• Like 1

4. The forum is not pre-moderated and objectionable material may occur without our knowledge; messages posted on the forum have not previously been viewed and have not been edited by forum administration. However, forum administration and moderators reserve the right to edit messages after being posted.

5. Moderators oversee the different sections of the forum and they have the right to edit and delete posts or close the entire topic without explanation.

6. It is forbidden to discuss the actions of moderators and administrators in any form on the forum. All questions are to be sent via "personal message" to the administrator/moderator.

Edited by SYN_Haashashin

Considering the many unexpected improvements we get at every update, I believe the devs do what they can. 
what you like this sim to be is another matter, 

personally I got a much better sim experience just stop being frustrated over all could have been’s and enjoy what we get. 
They do what budget allows, and one have to respect that or simply move on. 
If you count the stuff you like, you find this game to be , well in my opinion best combat flight sim available

No, it's hiding it in Polls, instead of leaving it in the general forum more visible. This is done because i think it is a reality that the most important thing for virtual pilots is to have a simulator where you see the contacts. As in il2 1946, DcS, il2 CLOD, Falcom Bms or any other that calls itself a simulator.

It was about seeing if it is what I believe or is the reality. If for people it is the priority or not. For example, I am surprised by the results with respect to the IA. I don't know what problem you have, you want to be inquisition of the forum. If you don't like the theme you can create yours. 

Let people vote and express themselves. That you can count what the simulator people want. People are the ones who pay and hold it.If you see failures you can create your own poll. But come in here to attack me personally because you don't like it What people think is unfortunate.

41 minutes ago, caricolaaaa said:

No, it's hiding it in Polls, instead of leaving it in the general forum more visible. This is done because i think it is a reality that the most important thing for virtual pilots is to have a simulator where you see the contacts. As in il2 1946, DcS, il2 CLOD, Falcom Bms or any other that calls itself a simulator.

It was about seeing if it is what I believe or is the reality. If for people it is the priority or not. For example, I am surprised by the results with respect to the IA. I don't know what problem you have, you want to be inquisition of the forum. If you don't like the theme you can create yours. 

Let people vote and express themselves. That you can count what the simulator people want. People are the ones who pay and hold it.If you see failures you can create your own poll. But come in here to attack me personally because you don't like it What people think is unfortunate.

People are quite capable of expressing themselves without your help. And those that actually want the developers to take note of what they say know that to do you you need to make reasoned arguments, not snide comments about how long the game has been out, and vacuous polls rigged from the start. If you want to be listened to, try not being so obnoxious.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, pfrances said:

Where's the "none of the above" option?

Where's the 'Hookers, Poker and Cigars' option?:)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SCG_ErwinP said:

Sham, about stutters, we created a thread, we quote Jason lot of times but we still have no answers.

How should be a different approach?

Thank you in advance!

BTW, thank you for your time and amount of work on your blog.

It's not easy but two things come to my mind:

1) Documentation. More details are better so record track files, use video recording devices, point your cellphone at it, etc. Try different setting, test and retest, and keep building up those data points. I've had stutter issues in the past and this is how I was able to either solve it or get in touch with people here and try and find a collaborative solution together. Not everyone is having this issue so it's not widespread (and shouldn't be treated as such) but it is happening and I know many people have said it's an issue so it's also not something to dismiss. The more you have, the more the developers can A) Take the issue seriously and B) Have an idea where, buried in millions of lines of computer code, they might investigate.

Having worked IT support once upon a time, both coders and support people don't perform feats of magic. You need their help and they need yours to find solutions.

2) This is the hardest part. Patience. No reply doesn't mean they aren't aware but they may not have the opportunity to reply yet. As much as you want to be heard that they are working on it, they may not be sure where to start. That's not a comment on 1CGS' coders or anyone at all. Making any software package work is often something of a miracle and the more I learn, the more it's a miracle that any of it works at all. Keep at it, keep documenting and building the case, and have patience. It's not easy!

One thing I know that won't help is polls where the choice is to want one thing to be fixed or changed. Software tends to be more of a widescale effort and that means improving one thing often requires changing and hopefully improving another.

I hope that helps! I hope you and others can solve any performance issues you're running into! IL-2 has never run better for me but I've had issues over the years and it can be so frustrating. Keep at it!

IMHO, I think the poll is disingenuous. Obviously the issue that you want solved is spotting so the purpose of the words right after the poll are to generate a case for the developers to "solve the spotting problem" which it's likely that your specific poll is going to skew towards. Because of what you wrote right after. If you had asked a neutral question then you might have seen a different response and then that wouldn't support what you clearly think is the most pressing issue.

It would have been better for you to just say, "Hey, I'm having some issues with spotting. This is what's happened to me. Here are some screencaps or a video expressing my issue. Are you having the same?"

For the record, I think spotting IS currently an issue and I'm writing an article about it right now for release maybe next week or the week after depending on how much time I have. There are multiple issues to be considering including single player, multiplayer, different spotting modes that currently exist in IL-2 (there are TWO different modes each with their own problems). Most people aren't even aware of that last part which then makes opinions on spotting an issue particularly if they only play on one server that uses one of the two modes.

Separating the how you do something out from the subject matter itself is important. Context and your approach are always important.

I'm afraid that I'm firmly in the "whatever the team decides is their priority" camp.

I have wishes of what *I* want but what floats my boat won't float many others.

I think they know what's best for the series even if it may not seem so to us.

gotta remember we're not privy to all the info and behind the scenes stuff.

22 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Where's the 'Hookers, Poker and Cigars' option?:)

Can we have a poll on which should be the number one priority?

I'm no good at poker...

1 hour ago, AndyJWest said:

People are quite capable of expressing themselves without your help. And those that actually want the developers to take note of what they say know that to do you you need to make reasoned arguments, not snide comments about how long the game has been out, and vacuous polls rigged from the start. If you want to be listened to, try not being so obnoxious.

I don't try to be heard, I have given my opinion. I try to let people know what they want. The only way to count it is with a poll. If you are so smart you create it. If you don't want to create it or you don't like it, it seems good to me.

Some try to do this as something of mine and personal. It's not like that. It is not subjective, it is not something that is a matter of setting up your device (or it shouldn't be).

I repeat neither il2 1946, nor DCS, il2 CLOD, nor Falcon bms have these visibility problems. Nobody has visibility problems in any of the simulators mentioned. So. No, I should not open a post asking for help with the visibility of contacts. Contacts should look like any simulator. All members of my squad have visibility problems. Do not try to create a reality parallel to an obvious problem.

Another question is whether it bothers people the most or not. What is the objective of this poll. I am glad that many speak constructively and politely giving their opinion and even proposing options that may be added to a future poll. Like: none of the above, more number of available ias, whatever developers want etc. I will make a new poll with all these options and those that you continue to propose.

Whether polls count or not is up to the developers to decide. As is what they consider to be priorities. As apollon01 notes above, their first priority has to be to stay in business. Which requires an ongoing revenue stream.  And given that the developers are already aware that there is discontent about visibility issues, I can't for the life of me see what exactly you are hoping to achieve here. 1C-777 isn't a democracy, it is a business. The developers make their decisions accordingly. Prioritisation requires knowledge of the resources available, and the work required. It isn't something you can just arbitrarily apply to a complex project requiring multiple skill sets. Reasoned arguments about things that customers think need addressing may sometimes be productive, but trying to tell the developers how to run their business isn't. Particularly when accompanied by facile comparisons to games (CLOD, Falcon BMS) that failed to make a profit. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, caricolaaaa said:

I don't try to be heard, I have given my opinion. I try to let people know what they want. The only way to count it is with a poll. 

The only way that a poll is useful for the developer is if it is unbiased.  Your poll is ridiculously biased.  In this case, it also requires some knowledge of the underlying issues, such as development costs and staffing.  Since they’re never going to provide this info, any poll on what development priorities should be is essentially useless.

40 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

The only way that a poll is useful for the developer is if it is unbiased.  Your poll is ridiculously biased.  In this case, it also requires some knowledge of the underlying issues, such as development costs and staffing.  Since they’re never going to provide this info, any poll on what development priorities should be is essentially useless.

As I said in the previous message that by the way you skip quoting the options you are commenting on will be added to try to make it as true to reality and that everyone has their option to vote. If you think that the opinion of who pays the product is not important, it seems very good.

I don't understand why you say it's useless. Useless for what? It's about knowing what people think nothing more and nothing less.

Ok, let's try an alternate approach. Caricolaaaa, suppose for the sake of argument that your poll comes out with the highest number of votes for 'Fix contact visibility'. How do you expect the developers to react to that? What exactly are you expecting them to do that they aren't already doing?  You don't have access to the code. You don't know what 'fixing' it would involve. You don't know how many amongst the development team have the necessary skills and understanding to 'fix' it. You don't know how long 'fixing' it might take. The most that is likely to happen, if the developers decide to take any notice at all, is that they will say what they already have - that they know about our concerns, and they are looking into it. They aren't going to hand over control of the project to forum contributors, regardless of what a poll says.

Edited by AndyJWest
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, caricolaaaa said:

don't understand why you say it's useless. Useless for what? It's about knowing what people think nothing more and nothing less.

I’ll try to go easy on you caricolaaaa since you’re kinda new here. First of all, this isn’t a really good topic for a poll, it probably would have been better to make it just a thread and not a poll.

The topics: improve viewer mode, don’t get, Reduced career loading time, don’t understand.
More planes and maps are something. This isn’t the old days of Microsoft CFS and original IL-2 Sturmovik were you can have many planes and maps in just one development cycle. Making planes and maps these days are a painstaking effort that take many months, sometimes up to a year or longer depending how big it is. And that isn’t just for IL-2 GBs, that’s for pretty much any development team these days. Just be happy that the devs have decided to make the Hurricane and the Yak-9. Those 2, along with BON will hopefully generate lots of revenue.

I don't understand why you say it's useless. Useless for what?

Useless for anything.  The opinions about development priorities from people who know almost nothing about the underlying factors are completely and totally useless.

Well I think you have already made your position clear. The truth is that those who are against the polls are a few who make a lot of noise. Repeating insistently in the post your disagreement with this poll.

The majority votes or proposes. Therefore I will wait a week for more proposals and repeat the poll.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, caricolaaaa said:

The majority votes or proposes.

That's your interpretation.

6 hours ago, caricolaaaa said:

I will wait a week for more proposals and repeat the poll.

I think you'll look a lot better if you don't. In future just state your own views and let others comment on them. The outcome will be just the same.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Cynic_Al said:

That's your interpretation.

I think you'll look a lot better if you don't. In future just state your own views and let others comment on them. The outcome will be just the same.

No. They are numbers. Less than 10 people included you commented against this poll. The only thing that happens is that they write several times in this post looking like more people.

52 voted. Those who proposed new options do not know if they voted or not. Obviously we are a majority. Anyone who disagrees can comment.

As I said, the poll will be repeated with all the options that are proposed. To be the most faithful to reality. I respect the opinion of who is against this and / or other polls but for now it is clear that you are a minority. You will have the option of none of the above in the next poll.

Thank you.

Edited by caricolaaaa
  • Confused 1

Just because 52 folk voted, that does not define a majority of players.

You will find that those dissatisfied with product X or Y will make more of a point of posting their grievences than folk who are simply happy with what they have.

I have not said at any time the majority of players. Some of you get context phrases instead of quoting completely, others use ad hominen arguments ensuring you know my intentions, what I know or don't know, and even like you who reinterpret my words to your liking to give more strength to your argument, Unfortunate tricks all.

I thank those who have commented constructively whether they agree or not.

I will not argue more with who is against the polls. Moreover, I will not write more in this poll. I will just pick up people's proposals for the new poll.

• Upvote 1