S10jleffert

Career mode lack of full overcast weather?

I have been playing a lot of career mode recently and notice I never experience full overcast or rain and snow.  There are some days with mostly overcast but never full and there is never any perception.  I think there used to be weather like this, but I am not seeing it anymore.  It is a lot of fun flying in these conditions in quick missions and am wondering if there is something I can do to enable this in career mode.  I did search on this topic but could not find any information.

Is anyone else seeing these weather conditions?  I realize most days will not have poor conditions, but it seems like it should happen at least occasionally.  I am using dense and medium settings.   

You’re not imagining it. Overcast weather looks thin and nebulous from below, but pop up into it and things can get very dark. That’s my way of saying, it’s not like any overcast I’ve ever encountered.

57 minutes ago, busdriver said:

You’re not imagining it. Overcast weather looks thin and nebulous from below, but pop up into it and things can get very dark. That’s my way of saying, it’s not like any overcast I’ve ever encountered.

Not much weather in campaign mode previously. It is an important part of scripted campaigns to add atmosphere, difficulty and variety. 

Even a 500 foot thick overcast gets dark at the center when climbing through it in game. In my limited experience of flying through overcast in reality, climbing through a cloud layer with direct sunlight above is bright white and almost blindingly bright.

I have seen it come up in the Moscow career while flying the Bf110 but I haven't  seen it happen in any of the others so far.

Compared to the other cloud formations, Overcast is perhaps the least good looking of the clouds and weather systems so I wonder if they are kind of avoiding them until they have done some work on them. I'd love to see the rain improve and maybe even the snow get some tweaks over the next couple of years along with the overcast clouds.

Overcast looks fine as long as you don’t fly through it. It’s the only way to get precip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

I have seen it come up in the Moscow career while flying the Bf110 but I haven't  seen it happen in any of the others so far.

Yep, same here.

12 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Compared to the other cloud formations, Overcast is perhaps the least good looking of the clouds and weather systems so I wonder if they are kind of avoiding them until they have done some work on them. I'd love to see the rain improve and maybe even the snow get some tweaks over the next couple of years along with the overcast clouds.

This must be why I remember having overcast rain/snow in the past (haven't played Moscow in a while)  I wonder why this weather was omitted from the other maps?  Hopefully they can add it in at some point.

While visually the clouds got a big boost

it is true that the weather engine would definitely merit bit more love 😎

- Pretty much all of my career missions happened in good weather. Some heavy clouds + precipitation wouldn't hurt.

- In QMB, the clouds on heavy settings sometimes give rain or snow, however the experience is still very much reasonable VMC.

- The current weather engine is OK for winter and fair weather scenarios, in my opinion. What is missing however is more vertical weather patterns like CBs, TCUs etc.

I understand that in real life pilots were not flying in any weather regardless of the conditions and the gameplay probably dictates "flyable" weather. But throwing in time to time really bad weather conditions might add to the fun factor and immersion.

Edited by apollon01
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, S10jleffert said:

Is anyone else seeing these weather conditions?  I realize most days will not have poor conditions, but it seems like it should happen at least occasionally.  I am using dense and medium settings.   

Haven´t experienced rain in BoBP career in sept-nov/44 so far flying Me 262s for KG 51 from Rheine. Living myself in the area of operation at the lower rhine I can tell you that there should be lots of rainy days in the fall/winter period. Maybe they need to look at it and fix some things here.

One plane you will see flying in all weather conditions is the Il-2. Most others will not, though. That's by design. 

9th Air Force units flew in some particularly nasty weather in December of 44. They didn’t score much, but they went up. Then some days were just too bad to even attempt.

Overcast/light snow is something I’m making  use of in the Jug campaign for variety/interests’ sake at the very least, and also for historical veracity.

Most December 44 days should have an overcast, since “clear” usually meant visibility 3-5 miles. A high deck does this nicely. Visibility unlimited was rare to non-existent in December, and that’s what we have with every other pre-set.

Thus in December I use at least a high overcast deck. When it’s nast a low one with light snow..

I’m talking Rhineland of course.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I would expect it to be rare to send flights in into overcast weather. You're running heavily on instruments, and it becomes very easy for aircraft to get lost or do controlled flights into hard objects. 

30 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

9th Air Force units flew in some particularly nasty weather in December of 44. They didn’t score much, but they went up. Then some days were just too bad to even attempt.

Overcast/light snow is something I’m making  use of in the Jug campaign for variety/interests’ sake at the very least, and also for historical veracity.

Most December 44 days should have an overcast, since “clear” usually meant visibility 3-5 miles. A high deck does this nicely. Visibility unlimited was rare to non-existent in December, and that’s what we have with every other pre-set.

Thus in December I use at least a high overcast deck. When it’s nast a low one with light snow..

I’m talking Rhineland of course.

Really looking forward to this!

34 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I would expect it to be rare to send flights in into overcast weather. You're running heavily on instruments, and it becomes very easy for aircraft to get lost or do controlled flights into hard objects. 

I think you are correct for preferred SOP but there are exceptions and having a few of these would really add to the immersion and variation of missions.  Based on books I have read about the European theater they did fly tactical missions with full overcast and even rain/snow as long there was reasonable visibility down low to find targets and land (and of course acceptable wind conditions) .  

38 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Aircraft fly under or over the overcast, not in the middle of it. Aircraft fly in overcast weather all the time.

Depends how high the deck is/was.

Low deck they might not go up, high deck no problem.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

If your flight is joined up prior to going into the weather, Lead is on instruments and the wingmen fly close formation looking only at the guy they're flying off of. If the flight isn't joined up and you need to get up through the weather you do so single ship with known power settings and airspeeds until you're in conditions that allow you to get together. Likewise if you're descending through the soup single ship, a specified power setting & airspeed to get the same approximate descent rate. 

3 hours ago, sevenless said:

Living myself in the area of operation at the lower rhine I can tell you that there should be lots of rainy days in the fall/winter period.

Flying out of Zweibrucken for three great years, more fun than a bachelor should be allowed to have. :drinks:

21 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Aircraft fly under or over the overcast, not in the middle of it.

Indeed...formations don't routinely cruise in the soup (or climb into it to start an attack), nobody can look for bandits while their eyes are glued to their flight or element lead. 

Edited by busdriver
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Aircraft fly under or over the overcast, not in the middle of it. Aircraft fly in overcast weather all the time.

Depends how high the deck is/was.

Low deck they might not go up, high deck no problem.

True, but just because you are planning to scull, doesn't mean it works. 

In one particularly memorable practice flight I was planning to follow a river in the Kuban map to its head then cut south until I saw the coast. 

What I didn't realize was the head of the river was in the overcast layer I'd set in the mission maker. There's nothing that puts the fear of God into one quite like the realization that one is losing visibility with mountains in both sides of you... 

Yep

I set a couple low decks, but took the target area/higher elevation into account.

So you start out with plenty of room, but over the target region you’re threading the needle a bit.

During one real life mission over the Bulge, the Jug pilots of the 365th brike out under an overcast deck that was below tree-top level.

Edited by Gambit21

There are many accounts from the 9th AF in late 44 of having to fly in bad weather. Fog, low overcast and very low visibility were not unusual and frequently when the weather was marginal for take off, they went, and returned to find the field socked in. We get the same weather for the whole mission so some compromises are necessary.

There are some classic accounts of missions that were so urgent the Jugs and Lightnings would take off with less than a mile of visibility. Letting down through holes in the clouds to find targets was sometimes fatal and sometimes worked. I know of 2 or 3 accounts during the first week of the Battle of the Bulge that were like that.

I recall that the 365th pilots at Chivres used the steeple of the church in town to line up on the runway because they were so used to landing through the fog they had memorized the heading and altitude from the church to hit the end of the runway without seeing it. 

Gambit might confirm firm some of this, I think he has read this material more recently than I have.

Having overcast would be nice and more real. Living further south (of the Rheinland) but the same nasty weather during winter. However, as a wingman in career, I have some difficulty to stay in formation when the AI does not  take cloudlayer into account. In many missions my wing flys exactly at cloud-level. Not below nor above. With the current clouds there are gaps and its possoble to stay in formation however. I remember in the early days of BOS, there where some mission generated that I could not finish: Vis down to 50 meters and the cloudlayer @ zero all over the map. Not possible to do without some cheats. Maybe that should first be taken into account before move to overcast weather.

On 12/22/2019 at 8:49 PM, Jaegermeister said:

Gambit might confirm firm some of this, I think he has read this material more recently than I have.

Yep

There were short periods when most of the 9th was grounded, (19th through the 22nd of Dec, and even those days a few flights took off) but weather was nasty most of the other days when missions were flown,  100' cloud decks etc definitely happened, let alone days when the deck was higher and precip allowed for flying. 

The weather cleared 24th - 25th, then got nasty again until I think New Years day...then got crappy again.

Basically the need for ground support was acute enough that if missions could be flown, AT ALL - they were.

It took pretty nasty weather to ground the 9th, so in any BobP career yes you should be seeing overcast most of the time. 

The only 'visibility unlimited' day in December should be Christmas I think.

Career is in progress still, so weather and other things are being ironed out I'm sure.