jollyjack

Destroyed buildings not being destroyed ....?

Hi, i must be doing something wrong. He111 set of 5 planes bombing a church AND a building. Hit them OK with Command AreaAttack, targeted to both ground object.

Now the buildings should turn into the usual smoking ash heap. They smoke alright but survive the raid OK.

I used settings as in picture, but did i do something wrong? Should i use OnKilled maybe?

destroying buildings.jpg

Edited by jollyjack
correction

A guesstimate from me :

The durability looks high, although I don't know the implications of any numbers there.

I'd assign the block to a country.

I'd un-tick 'delete after death'

And yes, probably replace the relevant 'on damaged' with an 'on killed'.

But none of that may do any good of course.

S!

I would try reducing the durability to around 5000. 50000 is quite high and bombs may not inflict enough damage for destruction.

For carpet bombings on cities where the bombers unload all their bombs in one pass, I use the On_event  OnPlaneBingoBombs to link (purple) to a timer and then to the Command MCU Damage Command. This Damage Command has a link to all the blocks you want to have destroyed in the attack area zone. You set the Damage Parameter to Complete. In this way whatever the durability number the selected buildings are completely destroyed.

The timer allows for some delay between the unloading of the bombs and the time they take to go down and explode. So that you get a good coordination between explosions and destructions.

Attention however, that some big buildings, some large monuments, churches etc. cannot be destroyed as no destroyed version model exist. These building unfortunately can even not be deleted, as the Trigger Delete does not work for Blocks. Those buildings will resist an atomic bomb unscathed.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

..... Attention however, that some big buildings, some large monuments, churches etc. cannot be destroyed as no destroyed version model exist. These building unfortunately can even not be deleted, as the Trigger Delete does not work for Blocks. Those buildings will resist an atomic bomb unscathed.

Good idea, a little sick though, atomic bomb, but for reality seekers if Pacific and the Enola Gay comes along after Normandy. Damage settings of probably 500000000000000.

PS, i think you're right, some especially church buildings can't be destroyed. No fun alas bombing them, would love to see some pedophile priests on the run.

Edited by jollyjack

If you set part #0 to be 100% damaged in the properties, then it won't be able to look any more damaged than it already is at the start of the mission.

Some of the buildings are hard to distinguish between healthy and damaged states (e.g. dugouts), maybe this kind of church is like that too? Maybe the model doesn't have a damaged look?

Notre Dame is very sturdy it seems, the real one in Paris wasn't alas ... still experimenting. It' seems in destructible.

PS any chances of your old groups being updated sometime? Tried to load them, also using resave in group folder, but they won't load in 4.003b it seems.

Edited by jollyjack
added

23 hours ago, coconut said:

If you set part #0 to be 100% damaged in the properties, then it won't be able to look any more damaged than it already is at the start of the mission.

Some of the buildings are hard to distinguish between healthy and damaged states (e.g. dugouts), maybe this kind of church is like that too? Maybe the model doesn't have a damaged look?

You mean like this?:

133203914_damage100.jpg.a999e42677dc55e74e967767d6769f7d.jpg

Does not make any difference ... seems the damaged look fails ....

Q: does anybody know a way to add such a damaged look to a building block?

Edited by jollyjack

10 hours ago, jollyjack said:

Q: does anybody know a way to add such a damaged look to a building block?

Nope no way. If the damaged version model exists then it should appear when destroying completely the building otherwise it is just not there.

One possibility was to delete the object and replace it by a building that can be destroyed. But again the Trigger Delete does not work for blocks.

So I have no solution.

The Damage table you have shown works the following way.

The column with the # dash symbol is the number part of the building of the block. You have blocks that are made of one, two, four, or more buildings. You can select them by using a row per building:

# / Damage

1 / 1.0

2 / 0.5

3 / 1.0

.. / .. etc.

You can destroy the block specific parts by using the numbers. You have no block with a hundred parts that can be destroyed so the part 100 means nothing.

You can see the destroyed parts in the editor as you fill the table, at least when the destroyed models exist.

In the damage table value goes from 0.0 to 1.0. 1.0 is maximum damage.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, IckyATLAS said:

The Damage table you have shown works the following way.

The column with the # dash symbol is the number part of the building of the block. You have blocks that are made of one, two, four, or more buildings. You can select them by using a row per building:

# / Damage

1 / 1.0

2 / 0.5

3 / 1.0

.. / .. etc.

You can also add a # value of 0 (zero).

When I tested long ago, I found the following re. damage values: 

• Values from 0 to 0.5 apply no damage, so I just use 0.
  • Values greater than 0.5 apply complete damage, so I just use 1.
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, JimTM said:

You can also add a # value of 0 (zero).

When I tested long ago, I found the following re. damage values: 

• Values from 0 to 0.5 apply no damage, so I just use 0.
  • Values greater than 0.5 apply complete damage, so I just use 1.

I have the feeling that with or no number the damage can be random. Not all buildings but not always the same. I may be wrong. 

I will do some additional testing......... next year 🙂 

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, IckyATLAS said:

# / Damage

1 / 1.0

2 / 0.5

3 / 1.0

.. / .. etc.

You can destroy the block specific parts by using the numbers. You have no block with a hundred parts that can be destroyed so the part 100 means nothing.

You can see the destroyed parts in the editor as you fill the table, at least when the destroyed models exist.

In the damage table value goes from 0.0 to 1.0. 1.0 is maximum damage.

Do you mean with the # number the ID, or some part of the block itself, and if so, were can you find that? It says 'structure ID'

Edited by jollyjack

1 hour ago, jollyjack said:

Do you mean with the # number the ID, or some part of the block itself, and if so, were can you find that? It says 'structure ID'

# in IckyATLAS' post is the Structure ID. Each structure ID corresponds to a part of the block. 

For more details, see the following in the editor manual:

• Damage an Object Before a Mission (pg. 133)
  • The Damage option in Object Properties Dialog (pg. 218)

• Thanks 1

Some one suggested to exchange the sturdy church (Notre Dame) for a destructible one after the bombing ..... now there' a trick to figure out, switching blocks actively ...