Sign in to follow this  
Sheriff88

Sun Effect on AI

What about clouds ? If we enter a thick cloud will the AI plane that is chasing us stop following, or are the clouds transparent for AI.

That's a good question and one of the things I'm still missing, which is the ability to sneak upon AI planes and surprise them.

Taking ai gunners pow. They know exactly where a atacking plane will pop up entering their field of fire. 
I am guessing ai see it all. 
when it is dark aa gunners wont fire until they hear you or you shoot at them. 

Jason once said the AI AA gunners are affected and can't see through clouds, but that was obviously not true. The AI are surely not affected by sunlight as that would be even harder to simulate. 

Not sure about the cloud thing.

I have a "Battle of the Bulge" DF mission I generated with SYN_Vander's mission generator.  Total overcast, with snow.  The only aircraft under the cloud deck are the attack flights, the AI fighter patrols on both sides are in clear air above the deck.  With icons turned on you can fly under the enemy AI and they will not come down through the cloud deck to attack you, but, if you go upstairs looking for trouble, and find it, they will chase you down below the deck.  You can evade them by maneuvering in the thick cloud layer, and they won't follow or take shots at you when you are in the clouds.

Also, kudos to the team on the new AI routines.  Wow.  They AI have become very proficient at ACM.  The days of "Ace in a sortie" are over.

• Upvote 2

Even keeping low below the tail, I've never managed to sneak up on an enemy plane, though saying that I always prefer them to break as a quick cannon burst then folds the wings efficiently...;)

3 hours ago, dburne said:

They are all seeing, all knowing...

;)

Not quite, each plane seems to have blind spots according to individual plane geometry.

See the discussion and test results here:

15 minutes ago, Georgio said:

Even keeping low below the tail, I've never managed to sneak up on an enemy plane, though saying that I always prefer them to break as a quick cannon burst then folds the wings efficiently...;)

I have. Also, I have a test mission where you can see that this can in fact be done. See this thread: 

Whoops!  Great minds think alike....

Edited by unreasonable

I've been flying quick missions with a heavy cloud cover layer at 1km, and haven't really seen the AI do any crazy cloud things. The battles pretty quickly separate into above cloud and below cloud layer fights, with the AI going up to then cloud cover, but not always wanting to go into it. 

I did have one above cloud dog fight where the AI kept dropping into the cloud layer to disengage and get some distance back. I don't think he ever attacked me from inside the cloud, but every other pass, he would go low and vanish into the muck and Bid have to find him all over again. 

It was quite a thing. 

4 hours ago, Georgio said:

4 hours ago, unreasonable said:

I have.

I have too. Once in career when I came across a 109 chasing one of my wingmen deep into home territory. By luck I found myself on his low 6 and was able to close. He seemed completely target fixated on my wingman, and made no attempt at any kind of evasive maneouver until I had opened fire. (which was too late...)

Another time was in qmb. I'd been chasing an Hs129, and had lost visual after some heavy maneouvering, when I suddenly spotted him flying slightly above me. Again, purely by good fortune I was in his low 6, and was able to close without any reaction from him at all - he just kept flying straight.

Both were very surprising experiences at the time, but also felt very real.

Do the Ai ever run out of ammo ? I do not wish to start trouble BUT when I am shot by a Ai I nearly always go down 9 times out of 10 now when I put some lead into the Ai they can take one hell of a lot before they go down in FC it is a wonder the wight of the lead alone would bring a plane down.

How well I still love this sim and only hope they do not abandon it like they did ROF .

Edited by CB77Don246

5 hours ago, CB77Don246 said:

Do the Ai ever run out of ammo ? I do not wish to start trouble BUT when I am shot by a Ai I nearly always go down 9 times out of 10 now when I put some lead into the Ai they can take one hell of a lot before they go down in FC it is a wonder the wight of the lead alone would bring a plane down.

How well I still love this sim and only hope they do not abandon it like they did ROF .

Yes they do run out of ammo, but most FC planes have a lot.  In FC now, unlike RoF, bullets can pass through the fuselage, so if you are hitting (seeing the silly carpet beating graphic) but having no other effect,  you are not hitting the pilot, fuel tank or engine. Most bullets hitting a canvas covered wooded framed aircraft will just pass through making a small hole. You have to hit the "meat and metal".